Start by marking “The Saturday Morning Murder (Michael Ohayon, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Saturday Morning Murder (Michael Ohayon, #1)

The Saturday Morning Murder (Michael Ohayon #1)

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  490 Ratings  ·  59 Reviews
Gur spins an intriguing mystery with international flavor and an attractive and likeable hero. When a revered senior analyst is found dead at the Jerusalem Psychoanalytic Society headquarters, Chief Inspector Michael Ohayon penetrates the elite, mysterious world of the institute to find the killer.
Published November 30th 1993 by Harper Perennial (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about The Saturday Morning Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Saturday Morning Murder

Mary Ronan Drew
Mar 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
I wish I could remember who recommended this book to me because she deserves a personal thank you. I had seen the title before now - it was published in 1993. But it didn't particular call to me. But I took a flyer because of the recommendation. I had to buy it because the library doesn't have a copy and the library has so many other wonderful mysteries why should I bother with this one.

Well, I did, and I am very pleased with what I found. An almost flawless plot, a couple of superb characters a
Mar 05, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
El asesinato del sábado por la mañana, es una historia coherente sin cabos sueltos pero con un desarrollo argumental lento - a lo que contribuye en parte la falta de diálogos- por lo que puede ser difícil de leer, si se espera una novela de acción trepidante y giros argumentales al final de cada capítulo. Interesante y completa descripción del mundo del Psicoanalistas y sus gentes presentándolo como organización cerrada elitista en el que coexisten alianzas, rivalidades, pequeños odios y envidia ...more
Eugenia Almeida
Jun 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
En el Instituto Deutsch acaban de descubrir el cadáver de Eva Neidorf, una figura mítica en el ambiente psicoanalítico de Jerusalem. La doctora debía pronunciar una conferencia sobre los límites éticos en su disciplina. Ahora está en un sillón, con un balazo en la sien. La pistola y todos sus papeles han desaparecido.

Quien conduce la investigación es el inspector Michael Ohayon, un hombre de 38 años que ingresó a la policía por razones económicas, abandonando una carrera académica como historia
Jan 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Właściwie bardziej zasługuje na 3*, ale: to pierwszy kryminał z Izraela jaki czytałam; akcja rozgrywa się w środowisku psychoanalityków - oryginalnie!; jest troche izraleskich realiów, no i dowiedziałam się z niej sporo o terapii, np. czym jest przeniesienie i przeciwprzeniesienie;)
Rozwiązanie zagadki może nie zwala z nóg, ale miało swój smaczek i prawie do końca nie było oczywiste kto zabił i z jakiego powodu. Ciekawa pozycja!
Joan Winnek
Apr 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: readers of detective fiction
Recommended to Joan by: Joan Macbeth
I read this book in two days--was I avoiding stuff I need to do?--actually I got a lot of it done.
It was gripping for several reasons:
•strong, appealing detective
•interesting but incomplete insight into Israeli culture
•depiction of relatively closed psychoanalytic organization
•psychological aspects (always important in good detective fiction)
Pamela Mclaren
A senior analyst is set to give a presentation at the institute where she works but before the event, she is found dead of a single gunshot wound. How did it happen and why?

That is the premise set before Chief Inspector Michael Ohayon in this first book of the series by Batya Gur. And it is only the tip of the iceberg for Ohayon who has to not only find out all he can about the practice of psychoanalysis, but the personalities of those who the dead woman worked and consulted.
Its complicated by
Kirsty Darbyshire
[My comments are taken from a mailing list discussion and as such contain spoilers!]

[on the characters]

I'm not done with the book yet but I'm finding the setting to be themost disappointing part of the book. I was looking forward tolearning something of Israel and Jerusalem but the places haven't comealive for me really. My reasoning is that since the book wasoriginally written in Hebrew the author expected her readers to havereasonable knowledge of the area in which it was set and didn't put

Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Not quite as fascinating as the first book I read by Batya Gur, but engaging nonetheless.
Nov 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: jewish
A new detective series that takes place in Jerusalem. A little plodding and confusing at times. I did not connect with the characters, however it was an interesting mystery once I got into it.
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: krimi-thriller
sehr gute Krimi
Susan Miller
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
This mystery, translated from the original Hebrew, is a psychological thriller which examines the characters in great detail to progress the story and ultimately to discover the culprit. No car chases, gun battles or hero's narrowly escaping death between these covers. This is the thinking persons mystery and the detective, unlock Sherlock Holmes, slogs thru the evidence presented to ultimately solve the case. I will be reading the second book in this series.
Kat Walter
Mar 08, 2017 rated it liked it
I like this detective and the series, but they do move a bit too slowly. Some interesting perspectives on the hierarchy of the psychoanalytic society.
Jeannette M. Hartman
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the first of Batya Gur's wonderful mysteries, set in Israel and featuring Detective Inspector Michael Ohayon. Ohayon is called in when an eminent psychoanalyst Eva Neidorf is murdered just before she was scheduled to give a lecture to the psychoanalytic society. As the forensic team collects evidence it becomes clear to Ohayon that murderer could only have come from within the society. As he investigates, he is blocked at every turn by the analysts' requirements of confidentiality, compe ...more
Jun 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: worth-reading
I first read the review of this book some ten years before I actually read it. I even remembered the name!

This is the first in the series of detective/crime novels written by Batya Gur, who was the chief literary critic for one of Israel's largest papers. It is about, duh, a murder in a psychoanalytic institute--but what was amazing to me about this book is how right Ms. Gur got it in her descriptions of the foibles of both psychoanalytic institutes and psychoanalysts themselves. She was right
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bnb, israel
When Shlomo Gold finds his mentor well known psycho analyst Eva Neidorf, dead early one Saturday morning in Jerusalem, detective Michael Ohayon begins his search for the murderer. Batya Gur meticulously lays out the clues while providing the reader with information about Freudian psychoanalysis.
Gur's writing is not the fast paced mystery that some prefer, it slowly draws the reader to the conclusion. providing little steps along the way. She does give away the culprit before the end of the book
May 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010
This is the first Batya Gur book I've read. Psychoanalysis doesn't appeal to me very strongly, so that element of the plot wasn't as exciting as the strange characters and their multifaceted issues. In a way, the book reminded me of a less preachy The Unbearable Lightness of Being (which I actually hated). I think Gur has a good way of building the mystery while also creating a cultural framework for the readers. Though I've read a lot about Israel and Judaism from American and Arab perspectives ...more
Mª Ángeles  Martín
Este libro es el primero de la saga protagonizada por Michael Ohayon, un policía del departamento de investigación de Jerusalén. La saga está formada por seis libros y fue interrumpida por el prematuro fallecimiento de su creadora.

Me ha gustado mucho el estilo de la escritora que se centra en el estudio psicológico de los personajes. La narración está hecha desde distintos puntos de vista por lo que, aunque el personaje principal sea el investigador, casi se trata de una novela coral.

Además de c
Jan 24, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: israeli-fiction
A pretty standard, well constructed whodunnit. All the facts fit together neatly at the end, though I wasn't surprised or taken aback by any twists or turns—Gur seems devoted to realism, to the dogged determination it takes to solve most crimes, and the murderer's identity was fairly certain for me from near the beginning. The most enjoyable parts of the book for me were the hints we got of Israeli society—the main character, Chief Superintendent Michael Ohayon, is an immigrant from north Africa ...more
Feb 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
I have to read book 3 for book club, si I managed to find book one at the library. Written in 1993, the main character and the detective in the series is a Moroccan Jew named Micheal Ohayon ( I asked an Israeli freind how to pronounce it, and she just said "Oh a Moroccan name). The writing style is different, very little actual dialogue, and the parts about psychoanalysis are interesting. The detective is clever and we slowly learn his backstory, as well as see glimpses of Israeli socieyt of the ...more
Oct 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jüdische-frauen
Da hab ich einige Seiten gebraucht, um mich in Batya Gurs ganz eigenen und recht trockenen Stil einzulesen. Letztlich ist mir der Kommissar Ochajon aber doch ans Herz gewachsen. Den lässt die Autorin langsam und methodisch vorgehen. Ein nicht gerade überschwänglicher Charakter. Etwas distanziert werden aus seiner Sicht auch die anderen Personen geschildert.
Inhaltlich interessant fand ich die Einblicke in die Psycholoanalysen-Szene. Ist das hierzulande auch so? Der Alltag in Israel ist ein weiter
Jennifer Jacobson
Jan 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book and actually laughed out loud at some parts of the character-driven plot.

It was chosen as a book club book by my temple and everyone in the group liked the book. The main character is a detective and is an interesting and likable character. Apparently, after this book the author made him the subject of two more books that I am anxious to read.

The only negatives I would sayare that the ending is somewhat predictable and that since the book was translated from Hebrew to
Interesting mystery with some character depth that kept me reading. Set in Israel after 1967. The lead character, Chief Inspector Ohayon has his qualities but along some attitudes that just rub me the wrong way. I like Gur's writing style and her intellectual approach to mystery/crime, I like less the paternalism of her lead character but it's not enough to stop me from reading her. This mystery set in the very close world of psychoanalysis is well done and keeps the reader on his toes even if t ...more
Apr 22, 2008 rated it it was ok
I want to explain the lower rating. It really probably was a good book; you should check out other reviews. It just never compelled me. I mean, I went three and four days before picking it up and reading a little. And I was interested in the plot. I mean, I thought about it a little bit while I wasn't reading. However, overall, I just couldn't get into it, but I'd like to state that I think it was me and where I am personally rather than the book. Good plot, good characters, so, good luck.
Mary Havlovic
Jul 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Story set in Isreal where psychoanalyst is murdered prior to giving a lecture at the Institute. Author gives the reader an insight into the functions of the Institute and how the police go about solving the murder. Initially I found the book slow and difficult to get into but decided to continue to read it in hopes that the story line would get better. I was glad I continued to read the book as it does pick up more of an active detail as the book progresses and the murder is solved.
Deb Oestreicher
A well written and compelling police procedural that takes place in Jerusalem. The chief detective, an erstwhile scholar of medieval history, succeeds by absorbing the world in which the murder has taken place; in this case, it's a psychoanalyst who's killed, so he (and you) learns a great deal about analysis and analysts. And of course you're struck by the parallels between the detective's work and the analyst's.
Jan 21, 2017 rated it did not like it
One of these slow and dull murder mysteries where neither the characters nor the plot succeed in holding interest. Gur's idea of showing the "real life" of policemen is to have them drink endless cups of coffee. The culprit turns out to be a psychoanalyst who has committed the ethical sin of sleeping with a patient, a minor to boot. Unfortunately Gur turns out to be unable to make anything of the special milieu in which she situates her story.
Sep 26, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: negra-y-criminal
Tal vez mi problema haya sido que tenía unas expectativas demasiado altas, pero la novela que abre la serie del inspector Ohayon me ha decepcionado. Me da la sensación de que Batya Gur aún no ha sabido encontrar el tono y el modelo de narración desde distintos puntos de vista me resulta fallido. Han sido tantas las recomendaciones que he recibido sobre esta autora que es posible que aún le dé otra oportunidad, pero, como no remonte el vuelo, conmigo que no cuenten para volver a pasar por caja.
May 05, 2014 rated it did not like it
For all the hoopla and excessive focusing in on so many details, it fell short in the end. It droned on about a very specific society in Jerusalem, numbered the cigarettes characters smoked, and said Turkish coffee about a half dozen times. I wouldn't want to be stuck on a desert island with this book, is all I can say.
B. Asher
Sep 09, 2011 rated it did not like it
This was a difficult book for me to read. After 30 pages I questioned whether I should continue. After 100 pages I figured I had too much invested.

This is a murder mystery set in Israel but I didn't find it all that mysterious. The characters are interesting enough but I found the story line much too slow for my taste. I do not believe that this being a translation was the issue.
  • In the Land of Israel
  • Monday the Rabbi Took Off
  • Remedy For Treason (Chronicles Of Isaac Of Girona, #1)
  • Fax Me a Bagel
  • Thumbprint
  • Hotel Bosphorus
  • An Accidental American: A Novel
  • Children of Wrath (Willi Kraus, #2)
  • Kittyhawk Down (Inspector Challis, #2)
  • The Samaritan's Secret (Omar Yussef Mystery #3)
  • The Blue Mountain
  • Writing in the Dark: Essays on Literature and Politics
  • Le Crime (Louis Morgon #1)
  • The Genizah at the House of Shepher
  • Outsider in Amsterdam (Grijpstra & de Gier Mystery #1)
  • A Play of Isaac (Joliffe the Player, #1)
  • Betibú

Michael Ohayon (6 books)
  • Literary Murder (Michael Ohayon, #2)
  • Murder on a Kibbutz (Michael Ohayon, #3)
  • Murder Duet (Michael Ohayon, #4)
  • Bethlehem Road Murder (Michael Ohayon, #5)
  • Murder in Jerusalem (Michael Ohayon, #6)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Fractured
  • Never Smile at Strangers
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • Where Eagles Dare
  • Alone
    $17.99 $2.99
  • Moriarty (Sherlock Holmes, #2)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Idaho
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Dead Letters
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Phantom (Alexander Hawke, #7)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Moving Day
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Man-Eater: The Life and Legend of an American Cannibal
  • Smoke
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unrivaled (Beautiful Idols #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Secrets of Southern Girls: A Novel
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Dorchester Terrace (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #27)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Flower Net (Red Princess, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Grave Tender
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
  • Before I Go to Sleep