Start by marking “Cinderella Stories Around the World: 4 Beloved Tales” as Want to Read:
Cinderella Stories Around the World: 4 Beloved Tales

Cinderella Stories Around the World: 4 Beloved Tales

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  142 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
Think there's just one fairy tale with an overworked girl and wicked stepsisters? Think again! Cultures all around the world have their own Cinderella stories. Visit Canada, China, Egypt, and France, and find out whose glass slippers are made of red silk, and whose fairy godmother is a fish.
Published July 1st 2014 by Picture Window Books

To ask other readers questions about Cinderella Stories Around the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cinderella Stories Around the World

Figgy
What is a Fairy Tale?

Once upon a time, before the age of books, people gathered to tell stories. They told tales of fairies and magic, princes and witches. Ideas of love, jealousy, kindness, and luck filled the stories. Some provided lessons. Others just entertained. Most did both! These fairy tales passed from neighbor to neighbor, village to village, land to land. As the stories spun across the seas and over mountains, details changed to fit each culture. A poisoned slipper became a poisoned r
Karina
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cinderella Stories Around the World tell four different cultural stories about Cinderella and their adaptations. This book includes the popular French version we all know, a Native American version, a Chinese version, and an Egyptian version. This book will give students a more in depth meaning about what a fairytale is and give them the opportunity to learn about story translations. This book is appropriate for grades three and activity where students in groups can compare all four stories an ...more
Natalie
Mar 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love fairy tales and I loved this book. It simply and beautifully tells four different versions of Cinderella around the world. Each tale is illustrated by someone different which makes them more unique. My favorite illustrations were the ones that went with the Chinese version.
Jessica Blonder
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Cinderella: Stories From Around the World
Rhodopis: An Egyptian Fairy Tale
By Cari Meister
No awards
Grades: All (Trust me on this)
Summary: Rhodopis is a Greek slave in Egypt. She is called Rhodopis, which means red-cheeked because she is fairer skinned than the rest of the Egyptians and therefore got flushed in the sun. The other servants were mean to her so she made friends with the animals of the Nile. One day, her master saw her dance by the river and gave her red-slippers. The other servants w
Bethany
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Awards received?
Notable Social Studies Trade Books for Young People, 2015

Appropriate Grade level?
K-2

Original Summary:
Meister created a book that discusses the story of Cinderella as told around the world, ranging from Cinderella the French Fairytale to Rhodopis the Egyptian Fairytale. Each story presented is unique in their own little ways adding to the enjoyable read. Meister has certainly modified the tale, making is shorter and more simplified; Certainly keeps the important details intact.

Or
Kim Pietrobono
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: traditional
Award(s): N/A

Grade: Preschool-1st grade

Summary: This book explores different versions of the classic fairy tale of Cinderella from all over the world. Canada, China, Egypt, and France all tell the tale of the overworked girl with wicked stepsisters in vastly different ways. Each version is unique and based on its own culture, which is also reflected in the illustrations.

Review: This book is a great way to celebrate and bring diversity into the classroom. I think this book is a great tool to expo
Audrey Smith
I selected this title to model the fairy tale subset of traditional literature to my fourth graders. The book contains the story of Cinderella told four ways: the traditional French version, the Micmac version Little Burnt Face, the Chinese fairy tale Yeh-Shen, and the Egyptian version Rhodopis. These four tales eloquently demonstrate to students how traditional literature was originally orally passed down from generation to generation, and adapted to fit varying cultures. The book also includes ...more
Alli Burke
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have always loved the traditional Cinderella fairy tale and many people do not realize that different cultures have different versions of this popular tale. Meister includes versions from Canada, Egypt, China, and France and version is illustrated by a different artist, making them more unique and interesting. One story included enchanted fish bones, Egyptian gods, and a fairy godmother who is a fish. The illustrations compliment each version and make it fun to be able to compare versions from ...more
Melissa
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
This traditional literature book shares four excellent variations of the Cinderella story. This book allows young readers to explore the diversity of different cultures including, Canada, China, Egypt, and France. The unique illustrations also allow the reader to get a better sense of the diversity of each culture.
Pamela Powell
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As a librarian doing a lesson on fairy tales around the world, this was a great compilation. The stories were true to the originals but were simplified enough to be able to read all the stories to a classroom in one sitting. Beautiful illustrations help make the different cultures more relatable to my students.
Katy Wilmotte
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's always lovely to find versions of Cinderella that depart from the standard French story--here there are Native American, Chinese, and Egyptian-Greek tales as well, with lovely illustrations. A perfect tool for showing children that fairy tale motifs exist outside of Western cultures.

Charissa Ty
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Love the illustrations and the variation of the old time classic.
NICOLE VENTRESCA
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Love the multiple versions of tales in this series!
Natalie Lacich
This book was an interesting take on a classic fairytale. In this book four different tales of Cinderella are told from all over the world. The French tale is the classic cinderella very similar to the Disney story. The other three though were stories I had never heard of from China, Eygpt, and Native American. They were all interesting and gave me a lot of viewpoints from around the world. Some content I was surprised to see in a children's book, though.
Kaitlyn
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: traditional
1) No awards
2) Ages 5-7
3) This book is made up of similar stories based off of the Cinderella story that we all know. Instead of just the story that is familiar with the tale we know, other Cinderella stories from cultures around the world are incorporated. The theme across all of the cultures is to be nice and the future will work out in your favor.
4) I really enjoyed this version of Cinderella because I got a sense of other cultures version of the tale. The characters and setting change but th
Crystal Velez
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Awards: N/A

Grade: Pre-school to 1st Grade

Summary: Cari Meister's Cinderella Stories Around the World contains 4 Cinderella stories - versions from France, Canada, Egypt and China. This book contains interesting and vibrant pictures. Each version of the story has its own unique illustrations inspired by the culture.

Review: I really enjoyed this book, and I was able to learn something new myself. I am mainly familiar with the french version because it is much like Disney's version of the tale. I
Kat
Feb 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Fantastic idea, putting the Fairy Tales from different cultures that derive for the same source together but these stories were skimmed down to the bare bones. I have read three of these stories in other retellings and they were fully and more well rounded. Still I really like that this author pointed out that Fairy Tales can travel across the world.
Turrean
A serviceable collection of several Cinderella variants. The series as a whole is a bit lacking; the language is so straightforward and utilitarian that it reads like a summary instead of the story itself. And then the stepmother did this. And the girl did this...

And a pet peeve of mine...each volume in the series to which this book belongs concludes with an inane list of ways to link the text to the Common Core (does all literature exist merely to serve the standards?) One of the questions asks
Jim Erekson
Sep 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a brilliant series from Capstone's Picture Window imprint, released simultaneously with:
*Rapunzel Stories Around the World: 3 Beloved Tales
*Snow White Stories Around the World: 4 Beloved Tales
*Little Red Riding Hood Stories Around the World: 3 Beloved Tales

Versions and variants should be collected in single volumes for this kind of comparison study. It's great to see a Capstone publisher deliver four volumes with four versions in each.

Unfortunately the retellings are tamed down, and ea
Julia
Oct 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a collection of four culturally unique stories that are all variations of the same four stories. Also included is an introduction to what is a fairytale, an abbreviated glossary and if you feel the need some questions to make the stories interactive to each other.

First of all to make this kid-friendly the original and more gruesome stories aren't actually used. Instead in the French one we see the usage of the later used fairy godmother while the version of Rhodophis I had read original
Lindsey Andrighetti
Sep 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: edrd-314
This is an exceptional book, and one that I was very pleased to have come across. As a future teacher of a multilingual classroom, I found this piece of literature to be of the upmost value. Not only are the illustrations unique, with a sort of Nightmare Before Christmas feel, but the content is also equally as significant. The book details the variation, of the classic fairy-tale, Cinderella, that occurs across multiple cultural groups. The illustrations take the reader on a magical adventure a ...more
Marissa Raimondi
Nov 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wow-books
Cinderella Stories Around the World: 4 Beloved Tales is a fantastic folklore book! This book includes four different versions of Cinderella, each from a different culture. In this book, children are exposed to tales of Cinderella from China, Canada, Egypt, and France. This is book is a wow book for me because it is multicultural and allows children to travel to different countries without ever leaving their classroom (or home)!

This is a book that I plan on using with my second graders for the st
Annie
Aug 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
This books features four different Cinderella folk tales from four different cultures: France, North American natives, China, and Egypt. The Cinderella story is very recognizable to students, so seeing the commonalities among the four versions can be engaging for children, but the story itself is not unique. The visuals for each story are great--they seem to fit well with the culture the version is from. The end of the book features how teachers could teach Common Core Standards with these stori ...more
Teresa Edmunds
Feb 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: diversity-books
Cinderella is often a favorite among children. This book presents 4 varieties of the familiar tale: one from France, one from the Micmac Tribe of North America, one from China, and one from Egypt. The first is the tale we all know. The second is about a young girl who sees an invisible chief (my favorite of the 4). The third is about a girl who is aided by the ghost of a fish (my favorite illustrations). The fourth is a slave girl who marries the pharaoh. The downside is that each tale is overly ...more
Shania Jackson
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: traditional, culture
Appropriate Grade Levels: 1 - 2 (Ages 6-8)

Cinderella's been around the world and back! Read as cinderella is shown on different continents dealing with the struggles of that culture. At least it always ends the same: she gets the man of her dreams.

The stories are all illustrated by different people, allowing the culture of the stories to change by words and art form. The biggest issue is the depiction of Egypt (people there had curly hair and dark skin, not tan skin and straight hair). Other tha
Emyrose8
Feb 04, 2015 rated it liked it
The first three stories are already fairly well-known: the French version, a Native American retelling (in my opinion, The Rough-Face Girl is a better retelling), and the Chinese tale of Yeh-Shen. The last one was my favorite, an Egyptian Cinderella, and it was the first time I'd ever heard the story. Worth a read.
Alyssa Cardinal
Oct 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I truly loved this text and was glad to see that it was already on our bookshelf. Cinderella is one of my favorite tales, and my parents can attest that I know every line from the classic Disney film. What I liked most about this text (and why I rated it 5/5 stars) is because of how culturally diverse the 4 individual Cinderella tales are, and because of the BEAUTIFUL illustrations. It is easy to see how this text could be brought into a very diverse classroom.
Meg McGregor
There are over 300 different versions of the Cinderella tale. I always enjoy reading a new adaptation.

The stories included here are from France, the Mimac Tribe of North America, China, and Egypt.

My favorite of the four was definitely Rhodopis. I liked her spunk and tenacity and that the god,Horus, helped her.
Lauren Suchomski
I love Cinderella tales. This book combines four of the classic versions in one nice book. The writing is fairly straight forward for fairy tales- not much embellishment or verbose language. It would be easy to read two or three in a sitting and be able to see the differences and similarities between them. They also hit on a number of cultures around the world.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Cari Meister lives on a small farm in Minnesota with her husband, four sons, three horses, one dog and one cat. Cari enjoys running, snowshoeing, horseback riding, and yoga. She loves to visit libraries and schools!
More about Cari Meister