Start by marking “Reinventing Organizations: A Guide to Creating Organizations Inspired by the Next Stage of Human Consciousness” as Want to Read:

FROM THE BACKCOVER

The way we manage organizations seems increasingly out of date. Deep inside, we sense that more is possible. We long for soulful workplaces, for authenticity, community, passion, and purpose.

In this groundbreaking book, the author shows that every time, in the past, when humanity has shifted to a new stage of consciousness, it has achieved extraordinary b
Published February 9th 2014 by Nelson Parker

To ask other readers questions about Reinventing Organizations, please sign up.
Michael McMaster The part of management which is about organization design may closer to rocket science than we think. Without a good understanding of complex adaptive…moreThe part of management which is about organization design may closer to rocket science than we think. Without a good understanding of complex adaptive systems, we might be left will minor action around the edges or a return to the religion of hierarchical organization. The economic goals part are also far behind the times.(less)

Miles
Feb 28, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I’m not sure I’ve ever been so annoyed by a book that taught me so much. Frederic Laloux’s Reinventing Organizations is, in some ways, exactly what it claims to be––a guide for creating organizations with internal dynamics that radically diverge from prevailing models. But it’s also a highly repetitive text with a lot of fuzzy language. It was truly perplexing to read a book that exhibited a firm, clear vision in some sections, and that merely oozed schmaltz in others. But we have to mine value ...more
Srđan
Jun 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Very thought provoking.

Let me highlight few ideas from the book:

If we start treating people as adults and allow them to express their whole selves, they will be able to realise much more of their potential. Their contribution to the company through their work will be far bigger than it would be otherwise. Also, maybe we should stop looking at companies as machines that we can build part by part and tweak to every smallest detail. Maybe we should look at companies as living beings and let them gr
Jurgen Appelo
Wonderful book, full of inspirational stories. Pity it is full of "soulfull", "wholesome" and "spiritual" language.
Greg
Aug 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: social-studies
Informative, repetitive, thorough, overly long, and at times, weird.

FRederic Laloux's Reinventing Organizations is an in depth survey into the evolution of organisational theory. He describes how organisations have evolved,over time, from the street gang, mafia type, impulsive, organisations, which he refers to as Red organisations, through conformist organisations, with strong rules, structure and a rigid hierarchy, which he calls Amber; then on to Orange, green and finally teal. He describes O
Casper Wilstrup
Sep 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is a brilliant collection of patterns and practices in self-managing organizations - both for-profit and non-profits.

I consider it a must-read for anyone interested in high performance, motivation based organizations.

Laloux ties his observations together with Ken Wilbers 'Integral Theory', and the idea that human consciousness evolves in stages. Self-managing organizations being a manifestation of a new level of consciousness just now emerging which the author labels 'Teal'

While this
Sergei_kalinin
Если кратко, то книга - про идеальный организационный дизайн, в котором и работа делается отлично, и сотрудники счастливы, и всему окружающему миру (включая клиентов) бизнес создаёт всевозможные блага :)).

Ключевое слово тут "идеальный" :), т.к. образ организации, представленный в книге - собирательный. Но если у кого-то всё же получится воплотить его полностью на практике - будет замечательно!

Этот идеальный орг.дизайн описан на основе модной ныне "спиральной динамики" - как бирюзовый уровень/э
Mark
Dec 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
IN SHORT: This is an amazing book for anyone interested in newer styles of organizations. Be warned that the author makes you work harder than necessary because of his heavy bent toward mysticism. But the great parts are TOTALLY worth the effort.

MORE DETAIL: This is an amazing book, and has many aspects based on research. Yet there is clearly a huge amount of subjectivity. For those who want to learn, have provoking ideas and solid concepts to customize and apply to an organization, the drawback
Kirk
May 06, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: nonfiction
TL;DR: Interesting framework, crappy ideas.

This is the most intellectually lazy book I've ever read.

It starts with a metaphor, tying historical changes in human society with organizational structures. Laloux argues that organizational history recapitulates human history. While obviously simplistics and invalid it does provide a useful framework for sorting and classifying different organizational operating models.

Parts of this book does resonate. Sure, who want to work in an organisation wher
Maria
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was ok
I DID IT! I FINISHED THIS BOOK!

итак, организации будущего, или "от скучного к бесячему туда и обратно"

о скучном: примерно к последней трети книги не осталось ни одной мысли, которая уже не была обмусолена ранее. по-хорошему, книгу можно без потери смысла сократить вдвое, а то и больше - по правде говоря, она мало что прибавила к той паре статей, которые я читала про бирюзовые организации раньше

о бесячем: обмусоливание одних и тех же идей, безусловно, бесит, но не так, как слово "трансцендентальн
Mario Sailer
Jun 10, 2015 rated it did not like it
Reinventing Organizations could have been a great book if it was not full of spirituality and and if the author would have been less superficial.

When I read this book, I went through a whole bunch of different feelings. First excitement because I like the idea of self-managed teams. Then disappointment when I realized, that it is sometimes a bit flat and superficial. Then interested again when I read about all the companies having employed self-management, from most of which I have not heard be
Alexander Pavlov
Jan 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Фредерик Лалу описал свое видение эволюции моделей организаций и сосредотачивает свое внимание на модели, за которой будущее по мнению Фредерика, - Бирюзовой. Очень популярная концепция, которой увлечены многие из знакомых мне предпринимателей.
Книга основана на собственном исследовании Лалу, проведенном в 12 организациях. Из неё можно почерпнуть несколько полезных концепций, подходов, практик, которые позволяют сделать организацию такой, чтобы работа в ней способствовала самореализации человека,
Alis Anagnostakis
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant!!

Such an amazing source of inspiration for every leader seeking a different, more conscious way to lead businesses and, ultimately, for every person who wants to live a full and wholesome life. This is a book that will literally shift your mind!
Bjoern Rochel
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, eng-mgmt
Wonderful content with unfortunate packaging.
5 stars for the content. 2,5 stars for the writing style and choice of terms. Workplace happiness would have clicked more with me than wholeness, soulfulness, et all.

Couldn't help to think sometimes "That sounds exactly like Star Trek utopia" or "wow that sounds pretty hippie". Might be because of my more achievement oriented up-bringing and the work environments I've witnessed in the last 15 years, though.

That being said, having worked the last 10
Jeanny
Apr 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biz
This book is a gift for anyone who can attest to how self-management can enable businesses to serve from the inside out.

When I first became a manager, I started to introduce styles of self-management into my work. First, out of respect for the team of engineers with whom I used to work alongside. Then, out of practicality. Given the number of projects I oversaw, the amount of stakeholders I needed to keep updated, I knew that I could no longer go deep into a problem to make informed decisions o
Sergey Shishkin
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Everything in this book just makes so much sense to me and yet most of the evolutionary teal practices described in this book are so uncommon in the workplace today. It's shocking what cruelty can a human being do to another human being in a modern workplace. Command and control management, performance reviews, bureaucratic processes, hierarchies – all look barbarian from the evolutionary teal perspective.

This book was very hard for me to read. Every page contrasting teal ways of work with those
Henry
Jan 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book will help to foster evolution and transformation in my organization and many others. It validates changes already made and points to very clear changes yet to make. Go to the website http://www.reinventingorganizations.com/ and get the e-book and then gift back to Laloux what you want to pay for it.
Jeff Rogers
May 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
I wish I could rate this higher. There are some good ideas here, but the book could be edited down significantly and be stronger as a result. Further, the author's appeal to things like evolution and "consciousness" as well as various mystical ideas related to consciousness is frustrating since the pseudoscientific justifications were offputting and had no basis in fact or reality.
Kief Morris
Dec 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: being-human
Skip the forward! I nearly put the book aside because the writing style of the forward is exceedingly dry and academic. I know several other people who bought the book but didn't make it past the forward. Take my advice: skip over the forward and go straight to the main text, which is far more engaging, and well worth reading.
Daði Ingólfsson
Wow, the best book on organizations I've read...ever, I think!
Ádám Bankó
Apr 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A defining experience.
Aina Dosmakhambet
May 22, 2017 rated it did not like it
Idea of the book is good. But it could be written in 150 pages, not 400
Sebastian Gebski
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Widely discussed, frequently recommended, said to be thought-provoking & new standard-setting.
But is it for real?

I liked a lot of things about this book:
* its "color" classification is much deeper than some trivial black-or-white splits. I've especially appreciated clear borderline between green and teal kinds of organizations
* examples (real-life cases) are very interesting & truly inspiring; personally, I'd like to see more from tech or strictly commercial organizations
* references to
Samu
Can't believe I gave a book on business and management four stars. (So far from my regular interests, can't even tell you...) This is certainly not "just reading for fun" and I assume anyone who is reading has a good reason for it. I recommend skipping part 1 and going straight to part 2, and reading part 3 only if you got the extra time. Part 2 is where the most relevant stuff is at, incase you're in a hurry.

This is a well written book and keeps you wanting to know more, which is saying someth
Eduardo Ferro
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is an incredible book that has had a deep impact on my thinking… It gives a great historical view of the different organizational model used by the humans and the correspondence of each model with each new stage of human consciousness.
It also explains how we are changing to a new stage and that a new kind of organizational model is appearing.
After giving this context and the explanation for each model, the book describes, this new "Teal" organizational model. The examples are very well doc
Alper Çuğun
Oct 26, 2017 rated it liked it
I have seldom had a harder time reading a book. Progress in this book was excruciatingly slow, hard fought and often not very rewarding.

It doesn't help that I know a lot of what Laloux is writing about up to even the examples. One of the issues is that this method is not that popular so everybody has to fall back to use the same companies as examples.

It also doesn't help that the book starts off with integral theory, something that can only be described as a load of mumbo jumbo. This stuff comes
Kristinn Hróbjartsson
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Inspiring book with great insights into several companies Laloux describes as "teal" - organizations that focus on self management, wholeness at work and evolutionary purpose.

Self-righteous and unfair in judging the other "more normal" organisation types and practices at times.

A good bunch of practical ideas and processes and success factors when operating in the teal area, or moving there.

I missed a critical discussion of the pitfalls, low-lights or challenges posed by transforming to teal. Al
Guillaume Belanger
I found this book incredibly inspiring. I am certain this was one of the author's aims in writing it: to help inspire people create, lead and take part in human institutions driven by a purpose to do good; to help inspire people realise that we can only be truly happy and fulfilled if everyone with whom we interact also feel happy and fulfilled; to help inspire people view the world through the understanding that all of the resources of the world belong to no one nor even everyone, and that we a ...more
Caroline Caldeira
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
O melhor livro que li em minha vida sobre gestão. Laloux mostra novas maneiras de se trabalhar em corporações/organizações, por meio da autogestão, integralidade e propósito.

Todo seu argumento é baseado em casos reais..saindo da teoria e mostrando como, na prática, essas mudanças podem ser feitas, ou não, se você não tiver algumas condições básicas em sua organização.

Recomendo muito!!!
Ricardo Oliveira
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is one of kind. It brings several styles and management books to a new ideal of thinking. Surely, as is mentioned in the book, is a first step and there's a long path ahead. But it provides different points of view to sustain this new paradox of human evolution and how we want to live in the future.
Delair Bolis
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excelente leitura para consolidar nossa necessidade de evolução constante e investimento em pessoas certas e na auto-gestão / auto-organização. Teal Organization
ST6 Book Club: Reinventing Organizations: Interesting Related Content 1 3 Mar 27, 2018 02:12AM
Goodreads Librari...: Book cover needed for new edition 3 8 Apr 01, 2017 10:50AM
Goodreads Librari...: Correction requested 2 8 Apr 01, 2017 10:38AM
  • Holacracy: The New Management System for a Rapidly Changing World
  • Theory U: Leading from the Future as it Emerges
  • Implementing Beyond Budgeting: Unlocking the Performance Potential
  • The Art of Action: How Leaders Close the Gaps between Plans, Actions and Results
  • The Leader's Guide to Radical Management: Reinventing the Workplace for the 21st Century
  • Presence: An Exploration of Profound Change in People, Organizations, and Society
  • The Connected Company
  • The Culture Game
  • Fearless Change: Patterns for Introducing New Ideas
  • #Workout: Games, Tools & Practices to Engage People, Improve Work, and Delight Clients (Management 3.0)
  • Visual Leaders: New Tools for Visioning, Management, and Organization Change
  • The Decision Maker
  • An Everyone Culture: Becoming a Deliberately Developmental Organization
  • Toyota Kata: Managing People for Improvement, Adaptiveness and Superior Results
  • Lean Enterprise: How High Performance Organizations Innovate at Scale
  • One from Many: VISA and the Rise of Chaordic Organization
  • Het weekend van 7 dagen
  • Impact Mapping: Making a Big Impact with Software Products and Projects

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
“We have reached a stage where we often pursue growth for growth’s sake, a condition that in medical terminology would simply be called cancer.” 8 likes
“The most exciting breakthroughs of the twenty-first century will not occur because of technology, but because of an expanding concept of what it means to be human. John Naisbitt” 7 likes