Start by marking “The Newman Resident” as Want to Read:
The Newman Resident

The Newman Resident

It takes place in the near future. Education has become a business and families pay a huge tuition to have their child admitted to the Newman House for the "perfect educational environment". The child enters at the age of 6 months and leaves at the age of 18.
Published 2014 by Fifth East Publishing, LLC

To ask other readers questions about The Newman Resident, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Newman Resident

Nancy
Feb 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. I cared about the characters. I was anxious, fearful, excited, happy, sad - depending on the story line at the time. It was a page turner. The Newman House is in the business of "educating" children. Richard and Carol pay a huge amount of money and place their 6-month old son, Christopher, in the Newman Home. They have quarterly visits with him and that is all. Richard decides to bring his son home. What happens will keep you reading!
Kitty
Mar 31, 2014 rated it it was ok
An obvious first book on a tired theme. It was either written very clumsily or edited badly. It was choppy and disjointed with one-dimensional characters, some just way too unbelievable. Someone as intelligent as the wife was portrayed to be would not have acted the way she was written for 300 pages with no cracks in her veneer and then turn a whole 180 at the drop of a hat.
Lizzy Soffe
Good idea, but not the best writing. The suspense created was the same idea hinted at over and over, which became repetitive. There was neat symbolism and intrigue introduced at the end, but it was too late to build anything. But good idea and good message!
Libby
Feb 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, sci-fi, thriller
I really liked it! I read it in a day, which means I had to find out how it was going to be resolved... I liked the story. I liked the slightly advanced technology, so you knew it was in the future, but probably only the near future - makes you think about where education is headed... I thought it had a nice balance of descriptive and working prose.
**spoilers**
I thought it was awesome feeling like so much of New York City would come together to search for one boy, BUT part of me thinks, "if ther
Kathryn Svendsen
Dec 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Public schools have been declared an unworkable educational system for educating children. Everyone now pays to have their children in private schools. One of the best private schools is the Newman School. They take their students beginning at the age of 6 months. Children no longer go home for long breaks as that interferes with their learning. At least until Richard Carson insisted his son come home for the summer while he worked on his novel.

Christopher was only 6 years old when he returned h
Kimberly Fields
Mar 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Richard's son, Christopher, goes to the most prestigious school in town. The school admits children at age 6 months and keeps them until age 18. But, when the Newman Home tries to prevent Richard from seeing Christopher, he becomes suspicious that something sinister may be occurring.

The Newman Resident was a gripping, harrowing story of a father who must fight a corrupt, extremely powerful education system to regain custody of his son. I liked it. Though a bit unpolished and occasionally a littl
Austin
Aug 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is an incisive work of social criticism that is so well timed and positioned within the context of parental concerns around ensuring 'success' for children. A dystopian novel set in a world that is very similar to portions of our own, it nevertheless takes things a few steps further toward the logical conclusion of pure eugenics. A group of elitist parents sacrifice time, relationships, and control over their children at a very young age in the hopes of gifting them the tools they'll need t ...more
Scotrox
May 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-read
You join The Newman Resident as if a passenger on a great train adventure to an unknown destination. As you sit and gaze at the scenery being laid out before you you are drawn into the warmth and heart of the landscape, but before you know it the train is barreling out of control and you are pinned to your seat struggling for breath. The train careens to its inevitable conclusion and you are the helpless passenger bound together with its fate for good or ill. And it's good...oh so good.
Kathleen Anderson
Sep 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
I know the author and his wife, and think that makes it all the more special to see what he has created. Our book club read the book and will FaceTime with the Swifts when we discuss the book. It gets a little scary, which makes you want to keep reading instead of getting to sleep or taking care of chores.
Heidi
Jun 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I'm a slow reader, so for me to read something, I have to really feel like it's "worth my time." But this novel was a quick, engaging read, with some interesting--and sometimes frightening--insights into the power and potential of privatized education. Definitely worth the read!
Dorothy
Apr 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good

This was very good, and filled with suspense.I can not imagine not being able to hug my child just for them to be "the perfect child".
I recommend this book to anyone who wants to have a me time away from your children, you'll think twice.
Ann
Apr 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It took me a little bit of time to "get into" The Newman Resident but was well worth the wait as it developed into an exciting page turner! Look forward to reading more by Mr Swift. I was lucky enough to pick this up one day when it was being offered for free. Well worth paying for this story! ...more
Josh Hoehne
Aug 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book.
Shanna Cushing
Apr 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love books like this one where it has a unique looked at a disturbed future. The characters were well thought out, and memorable.
Carma Sue Davis
Mar 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great

This was recommended by my daughter and it did not disappoint in any way. I had to finish it in one day.
Cory A. Gibson
Jan 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good read

I really loved this book and would be very interested in other books by this author
It was definitely a page turner
Lynne
Apr 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a fun read! I didn't want to put it down!
Berta Houdeshel