Start by marking “Circus Escape” as Want to Read:
Circus Escape

Circus Escape

Nessie dreams of escaping her sheltered life to become a mechanical engineer with mechas. But wanting and doing are two very different things, and outer confidence hides inner fears—until she meets Joy.

Joy is tough and self-reliant, used to be looking out for no one but herself. As her job keeps her always on the move, keeping to herself is the best way to survive. The
Published April 2nd 2014 by Less Than Three Press LLC (first published April 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Circus Escape, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Circus Escape

Start your review of Circus Escape
Rose
Quick review for a quick read. Man, I wanted to love this particular novella, but the reading experience felt far too empty and too short for me to care. I couldn't get into either of Nessie or Joy's respective experiences (nor their purported relationship), I couldn't get into the technology that was described, the worldbuilding was barely drawn, and I couldn't help but notice the amount of telling, not showing. The repetition of details was a problem as well.

The overarching story focuses on
Erin
Mar 16, 2014 rated it did not like it
Find this and other reviews at: http://flashlightcommentary.blogspot....

I love steampunk. A carryover from my days spent reading naught but fantasy and science fiction, I think a wonderfully fun genre and adore how different author interpret the industrial clockwork elements that characterize the genre which is what led me to pick up Lilliana Rose's Circus Escape.

To be blunt, the novella has three major issues. One, the mechanical elements are cheesy and crudely described. Two, there is
Lynne
Mar 24, 2014 rated it it was ok
Review originally posted: http://francesandlynne.wordpress.com/...

“Nessie could not believe she hadn’t heard anything about the mecha fight tonight. She loved a good battle performance, especially when it came to mechas. A circus of metal, mayhem and fights stirred the blood in her veins and made her feel alive.”
Circus Escape by Lilliana Rose

After being so pleasantly surprised by The Only Way by Jamie Sullivan from Less Than Three Press, I thought I would try another lesbian story from them. I
L.E.Olteano
Originally posted at Butterfly-o-Meter Books on Apr 8th 2014:

Fluttering Thoughts:
Worldbuilding: Nice steampunk world, loved the mechas theme.
Characters: Nessie and Joy were interesting characters, but I can’t say I was totally into either of them. I think I liked Joy better. Considering this is a short story there wasn’t any hardcore character building but I felt that characters were well drawn.
Their chemistry was sweet, the kind of thing I don’t really respond to myself, but if you’re into
Tiffany Michele (BookAndCoffeeAddict)
If you’re a fan of the much loved, but under-appreciated, TV show Firefly (and its companion movie Serenity), you’ll probably enjoy this short story. It’s got the same kind of wild-west-meets-space-age Steampunk vibe going on with a whole lot of robot-vs-robot thrown in. Nessie is a proper young lady with a strong fascination for mecha (manually operated Steampunk robots). Joy is an anything-but-proper young woman who lives, breathes, and works with mecha everyday. The two share a fascination ...more
Jillyn
Mar 22, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ebook
This will be a short review, since Circus Escape is a novella. I was drawn in by the cover, and some of the key words in the description that I love. Steampunk, circus, lesbian themes? Sign me up. Unfortunately, this is a novella that leaves a lot to be desired, and I was left disappointed.

I never got a sense of... Anything, really. I didn't grow to know much about either of the main characters, let alone get a sense of the chemistry that is supposed to be between them. I didn't learn much about
Lucy
Aug 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Circus Escape lives up to its title. It is a wonderful short story that is a perfect afternoon read if you need some “escape” time for yourself.

Nessie is ready to break the shackles of being the perfect daughter and explore the fascinating world of mechas. Unexpectedly she meets Joy who is a designer of these mechanical marvels and from there is drawn into the behind the scenes world of mechas at a circus.

Nessie finds that there is more to the mecha competitions than meets the eyes. Backroom
Inked Reads
Aug 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: f-f, steampunk
This is the second short story of Lilliana Rose’s that I’ve read, and I could definitely tell this one was written prior to the last, which is a great thing. It means her writing is vastly improving. This story would have been four and half star rating had the writing been a lot smoother and less choppy.

That said, the plot of this fantastic little short was highly entertaining. The damsel in distress was not so damsely, which I love. On top of that, a woman in overalls with grease is about as
Adrian Smith
Aug 13, 2015 rated it really liked it

Eli
Mar 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Imagine you're making gravy. Instead of taking the time to melt the butter before whisking in the flour, you smush cold butter and flour together with your fork and claim it's a roux. You keep the broth and the cream in separate pots until the very end, and then, instead of sausage or TVP or mushrooms or anything someone might expect in a gravy, you add a handful of Fruity Pebbles cereal. Oh, also, you only make a quarter-batch.

This, in a nutshell, was my experience with Circus Escape. Rose's
Stevie Carroll
Oct 26, 2015 rated it liked it
I wanted to like this story more than I did, but it felt like a novel's worth of potential worldbuilding had been sacrificed for the sake of a novella's worth of plot and the whole then shoehorned into a short story.

There was plenty of potential there, though, and I'd like to see the concepts expanded into something longer, even if a few copyediting misses jarred my reading experience.
Eleni Konstantine
Enjoyed the world building of steampunk with sci-fi elements mixed. Would have liked to have had a novel length story but a good introduction into the characters and mechas.

Disclaimer: While I know the author personally, this doesn't reflect my star rating.
Tina
Mar 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Enjoyable very short read. Took a while to get into because its not normally my style of book. I loved the twist near the end and was happy with the ending of the book. I would have liked more of a connection between Joy and Nessi, but this would make a great YA book.
Kimber
May 05, 2016
Leslie Fisher
Nov 07, 2015
Jacob Moran
Good writing by Lilliana Rose. However, the truth is I didn't pay enough attention and found myself reading a steampunk novel. It just wasn't my scene, and I stopped after the first couple of chapters.
Reba  Whitebird
Justine
Oct 04, 2019
Elwyn
Jan 23, 2015

• Inheritance (Adaptation #2)
  • Alice Isn't Dead
  • The Queen of Rhodia (Tales of Inthya #3)
  • Graveyard Sparrow
  • Natural Selection (Adaptation, #1.5)
  • The Diplomat
  • Not Your Backup (Sidekick Squad, #3)
  • Wonder City Stories
  • Invasion (The Secret World Chronicles #1)
  • Playing My Love
  • Poppy Jenkins
  • Wintersmith (Discworld, #35; Tiffany Aching, #3)
  • A Hat Full of Sky (Discworld, #32; Tiffany Aching, #2)
  • Bluebell Hall
  • The Wee Free Men (Discworld, #30; Tiffany Aching, #1)
  • The Shepherd's Crown (Discworld, #41; Tiffany Aching, #5)
  • I Shall Wear Midnight (Discworld, #38; Tiffany Aching, #4)
Lilliana is a creative writer and poet. She writes in a range of genres, because she loves writing and is filled with a variety of ideas and characters that insist being penned on the page and told in a story to be shared with the world. From rural romance, to steampunk, fantasy, horror, and now young adult her writing genres keep broadening. A marketing nightmare, but she believes in following ...more