Start by marking “Beyond the Veil (The Veil, #1)” as Want to Read:
Beyond the Veil (The Veil, #1)

Beyond the Veil

(The Veil #1)

“They say I’m half demon, but I like to think of myself as half human, especially as the demons want me dead.”

Charlie Henderson is living a lie. Her real name is Muse and her attempt at a normal life is about to go up in smoke.

When a half-demon assassin walks into her life, leaving a trail of destruction in his wake, Muse must return to the one man she hoped never to see
Published February 10th 2014 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published February 5th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Beyond the Veil, please sign up.

Start your review of Beyond the Veil (The Veil, #1)
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
😈 Princes of Hell FTW Buddy Reread (PoHFTWBR™) with the MacHalos Ancient and Clueless Young 😈

And the moral of this rereread is : volatile as krill, greedy as shrimp, and treacherous as squid demons are scrumptiously delicious as fish. And that, my little barnacles, is a scientifically proven fact. Because I said so and stuff.

See what I mean?

[October 2016]

MacHalos, if you don't Give this Book a 10-Star Rating you're Dead but Hey no Pressure Buddy Read (MifdGtBa10SRyDbHnPBR™) ☢

And the mo
Shandra
Dec 07, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unable-to-finish
DNF on page 44.

Bored photo: Bored bored_zps36ab21bc.gif

I think it's time to admit defeat. This one didn't work out for me. I have no hard feelings. I think it was my fault. I went through a bad stretch because Kate Daniels was all I wanted. Ilona Andrews has ruined me.
Choko
Oct 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy, demons
*** 4.25 ***

A buddy read with the MacHalo Freaks! We love us some Demons!

I had no plans of reading this book, because in the list of my friends who have read it, the ratings are all over the place. And I like to trust my friends, but in this case, the small but very enthusiastic group of fans of everything Pipa De.Costa, turned out to be right. This was definitely worth the time!

The story is about our world, but at a time when Demons have taken a more prominent part of daily life, and although m
Nicole
Jan 26, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy, 2021

I have read many of Urban Fantasy in the last few years and since I crossed off all of the popular ones I’m interested in, I moved on to the less popular UF. Pippa DaCosta was high on this list, having heard mostly positive feedback of her books.

I’ve read the novella (#0.5) a few months ago and it was a lot better this way. I was able to understand Muse’s choices and feelings more. Especially towards Akil. I understand why people would think that the novella confusing but I believe oth

Orient
Dec 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Orient by: ✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Thank you, Sarah for the rec ;) Your support helped me to survive the hard period with Muse ;)

Stefan would never understand. He spent his life killing demons. He had it simple. I’d spent my life among them. I might despise the majority of them, but I knew them. They were family. Twisted, bitter, dangerous, slippery, back-stabbing, but family all the same.

When I started reading "Beyond the Veil" I was lured in the world of dangerous demons, living in a well-built world on earth and beyond. So, I
Haïfa
Dec 07, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: uf
Okay it's time for me to lower my rating now that a few months have passed and I have a more objective and fresh perspective. Yes I had enjoyed the read at the time (it helped me out of a reading slump) but the story and characters had a lot of issues (detailed in my original review below, tagged spoilers alert). Since I have no interest in reading the sequels, 3 stars it is !

... And now I will just sit and pray that Sarah won't come after me with her army of murderous crustaceans !!

Origina
Vicky
DNF at 31%.

I don’t like to give up on books at such an early stage (it feels like I’m not giving them a proper chance to start up) but right now I can’t help myself. I’m just not feeling it. Everything I loved in the prequel and wanted to see more of in this book is gone. Wings Of Hope was a super dark tale of a half-demon, half-human girl who had been enslaved and mistreated since birth and had to fight to break the bonds of her abusers and claim her life as her own.

It seems there’s been a pre
Monty Cupcake ☠ Queen of Bloodshed ☠
MacHalo BR under our overlord's watchful eye

I've been waffling between 4 and 5 stars and decided on 5 because it made me hate a lot of people and to still be Team Akil till the end.

It starts out with Muse, a half demon blacksmith, getting a visit from a mysterious and rude blond man in a hideous red coat. Right afterwards, her shop blows up. Not cool. That's why you never trust someone who wears red leather trench coats, I mean, really, it's too heinous to let live. So Muse is without her shop
Carole (Carole's Random Life)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

I liked this book but I didn't love it. When I first saw this book available for request on NetGalley, I requested it right away only to be somewhat surprised to learned that I actually already owned a copy. Oops. Oh well, I having so many books that I can't remember them all is a good problem to have. I decided that it was obviously time to sit down and actually read this story.

I thought that the world created within this novel was very int
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
“I could never run from the half of me that danced in the dark.”

It's hard to rating a book three stars when it's so hard to put down my hand may as well be superglued to it, but no matter how into the story I was, there were too many nuances that bugged me.

Charlie is a broken person, a half-demon living some sort of human life as a lie. That doesn't last long since she has to run back to the master demon who helped her in the past early on. It goes without saying these were Urban fantasy demons,
Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣
DNF - 66%

Jeez, this book is impossible. Seriously, after meeting Ilona Andrews's Kate Daniels, other heroines seem like huge crybabies. Muse is just meh! Just make up your mind already, woman!

description

And what's with all those double/triple crossings? Akil is the bad guy. No, Val is the bad guy. Wait, Stefan is definitely the bad guy. Hm... nope, back to Akil.

description

And she cries so much and whines... I thought she was a bad-ass. She's just an abused little girl lacking confidence in herself.

No, just no!

P.S.
Angela
This isn't my first introduction to Pippa DaCosta, but it is one of her earlier series. I liked this book, and think it's a decent start to a series, but it's definitely not up to the level of writing skill that I've read by her previously. And therein lies my problem.

The technical skill involved in writing a book is one that's often overlooked, because when it's good it just fades into the background and becomes a unnoticed non-issue. But when it's lacking, it is much more obvious. And it was o
Emma

I don't read much UF or PNR anymore, there's too much dodgy stuff; it's like throwing a knife into the dark and expecting it to hit a target dead centre. So when I need a fix, I head over to the page of Sarah of Crustacean fame https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/7... and see what she's 5*. This is how I found Pippa DaCosta for the first time.

Now I didn't enjoy the book quote as much as Sarah and looking at the reviews for this title, I'm not the only one. But I really enjoyed the world
Gavin
Feb 12, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
This was a fun UF that never quite managed to be as good as it threatened to be. It had plenty of action and romance, which I loved, but the story moved in a direction I would have preferred it did not!

Half demon Muse thought she had escaped her old life among the demons. She has been living a quiet life in the human world for the last 5 years, but that is shattered when the mysterious Stefan walks into her place of work demanding her help. She refuses him, but knows her quiet life is over. Soo
Denisa
Well, this one is hard to rate.

For about 30%, it was a 3star book. Then, for about 60%, it was a 2star. The characters were idiots most of the time! They did so many illogical stuff! Gah, and she is a half-demon chick (demons being always the bad guys here), she trusts no one, yet she is amazed when others don't trust her. She keeps complaining about every little thing! I mean, ok, I get it. Your life sucked. Then do something about it! Her reactions are the ones of a 5year old!
So why 3 stars an
Steven
Muse, it wasn't you, it was me. I've been in a big reading slump lately and I just haven't been in the mood, so feeling forced made me less interested in you than I normally would have been.

Will you give me another chance soon, and I'll pick up book two once I'm out of this slump? I'm pretty sure I'd really like you.

Thanks!

Sincerely,
Me.
Penny
Actual Rating 3.5 stars

I liked it. I was entertained.

I'll move on to the next installment.

Devil May Care (The Veil #2) - 1.5 Stars
Darkest Before Dawn (The Veil #3) - 1 Stars
Emma
Aug 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75 stars.
This was pretty good. It would have been 4 stars but the ' is he double crossing me? No he isn't- yes he is- no he isn't- went on too long. Not sure if I'd continue the series...
Renégade ♥
4 to 4 1/2 stars

I'd been hearing positive things about this series for a while so I was looking forward to diving in and experiencing it firsthand.

I wasn't disappointed.

This is a fast-paced, fascinating UF adventure filled with wild twists and crazy turns that were often unexpected.

The heroine, Muse, is a mixture of demon and human, something that is despised in the Netherworld and makes her a target for powerful demons who want to destroy her. (view spoiler)
Tink Magoo is bad at reviews

3.5 Stars

I liked the world setting and overall feel in Wings of Hope more than this one, but (view spoiler)
Lanie (Lanies Book Thoughts)
Feb 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I received this book through the first reads giveaway on GR.

First off, the cover is absolutely beautiful and fits Muse perfectly. Everything on the cover has significance in the story.

I fell in love with this book from the beginning. You jump right into Muses life as soon as you start reading, it's extremely easy to follow. Mrs.DaCosta provides info and gives tons of details as each scene unfolds so there isn't any info dumping:). The characters themselves are incredible, there is a ton of det
Cathy
May 03, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
ARC from Netgalley, thank you very much.

I read the first 40% of the book fairly quickly. The story flowed well and was not uninteresting. But that was pretty much it from there on. The plot never picked up for me after that.

I did not particularly like Muse, she behaved too much like a victim for me. The kick-ass heroine, that I was hoping for, never emerged. She ended up in this love-hate-triangle with two pretty much interchangeable guys, who in turn asked her for trust and then betrayed her f
Maria Dimitrova
Buddy read with the Wednesday UF Group of BB&B.

Nope, I wasn't wrong in my original rating. In fact I would like to rate it even higher now but alas there's no more stars to give :(

Muse is an awesome character but it takes a while for her to reach her potential so if you're thinking of DNFing this book because she comes off a bit too weak and naive here just give the next book a try, okay? I promise she improves and by the time this series ends she's one hell of a badass.

The thing I like most a
Nicole
I think I need a glass of wine. This book was the closest I came to DNF. I made it to about 30% and had to skim the rest just to get through. I couldn't stand this book and didn't like any of the characters. Muse was weak, clueless, and too dependent upon EVERYONE all the damn time. All this "you don't know what I'm made of" shit throughout the book and I'm wondering if she even knew. Add in two alpha males and a mix of insta-love and poof, a recipe for disaster. None of this shit made any sense ...more
Pippa DaCosta
• Downloaded and listened to over half a million times.
• Dark and gritty urban fantasy that broke the mold when it was released in 2014.
• Amazon Breakthrough novel Award Finalist (Beyond the Veil)
• Adored by tens of thousands of fans worldwide
Nafeeza
DNF @ 70% because Muse and I aren't seeing eye to eye and I can't for the life of me muster the energy to care. ...more
Liz* Fashionably Late
BTV is good UF, it goes stright to the point without nonsense and shit. The MC is a badass and the two guys are exactly what a UF fan needs.

Ian
After years of being passed around from one demon to another, Charlie (Muse) who is a half demon has managed to gain her freedom. But demons don't give up their possessions willingly and she finds herself once again battling for her life.

Beyond the Veil doesn't have the strongest start. For the first 30% I wasn't feeling much love and probably could have walked away without any regrets. But it improves dramatically and by the halfway mark I found myself eager to see how it all ended. The men in
Rachel Annie
The first in Miss DaCosta's Veil series, Beyond the Veil has a cinematic feel to it. While reading, I could see the action as if it was on a big screen and I was settled in a comfy theater seat--middle of the row, first row after the aisle behind the front section, with a cherry ICEE and a small popcorn, extra butter. (What? I'm particular about my movie-going experience, okay?) I guess in a pinch it would work as a TV show or miniseries. But on a network classier than Syfy. (Sorry for the shade ...more

• Huntress Born (Wolf Legacy, #1)
  • Nolander (Emanations #1)
  • Getting Wilde (Immortal Vegas, #1)
  • Chosen (The Djinn Wars, #1)
  • Agent (Empowered, #1)
  • Wolves (I Bring the Fire, #1)
  • Justice Calling (The Twenty-Sided Sorceress, #1)
  • Blood Debt (Touched, #1)
  • Rune Gate (Rune Gate Cycle, #1)
  • Twin Souls (Twin Souls, #1)
  • Shadow Magic: Six Strong Heroines of Urban Fantasy
  • The Forgotten Ones (The Danaan Trilogy, #1)
  • Bad Vibrations (The Sedona Trilogy, #1)
  • Falling Dark (The Watchers, #1)
  • Fated (The Will of Yggdrasil Book 1)
  • Deception (The Transformed, #1)
  • Thunder Hunter (Viking Soul #1)
  • Dangerous Dreams (Obsidian Flame, #1)
Born in Kent UK, two-time DragonCon Finalist & Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award semi-finalist--- "Wait a second. Let's cut to the chase. I write kick-ass urban fantasy & sci-fi novels with conflicted characters, breathless action, and no-holds-barred dialogue. My books may not leave you feeling all fluffy and warm inside, but they will excite you. There will be plot-twists, angst, probably a few de ...more

The Veil (5 books)
  • Devil May Care (The Veil, #2)
  • Darkest Before Dawn (The Veil, #3)
  • Drowning In The Dark (The Veil, #4)
  • Ties That Bind (The Veil, #5)