Start by marking “Gotham Writers' Workshop Fiction Gallery” as Want to Read:
Gotham Writers' Workshop Fiction Gallery

Gotham Writers' Workshop Fiction Gallery

•A PSLA Young Adult Top 40 fiction title 2004
Each of the stories in Fiction Gallery will hold you spellbound from first to last page, while also exemplifying the very best in literary fiction. Grouped in sections that follow the cycle of life, these stories explore the varied aspects of human existence and, cumulatively, form the satisfying dramatic arc of a novel.
The au
Published August 21st 2004 by Bloomsbury USA

To ask other readers questions about Gotham Writers' Workshop Fiction Gallery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gotham Writers' Workshop Fiction Gallery

Michael
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
One of the best short story collections I've read. Invariably, most anthologies contain a few duds, but not so here. Sure, there are some stories I liked more than others, but that will always be the case when there are 20+ stories to read. Instead, and much to my surprise, I liked every single one of these stories, and loved many. The difference, I believe, is that this collection groups clutches of stories into various cycles of life -- Starting Out, Longings, Those We Know, The Job, Strangene ...more
Nina Milton
Jun 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
GOTHAM WRITERS' WORKSHOP FICTION GALLERY (Bloomsbury) is a wonderful array of US short stories, each with a summary and author's notes. There are some old favourites, but lots of new (to me) stories too. A definite must for the short story reader.
I think my favourite story in the collection is GOING FOR THE ORANGE JULIUS by MYLA GOLDBERG – it's a close run thin, but to narrow it down, Going for the Orange Julius is my all-time favourite short story set in a mall. It’s the story of Carrie, who is
Fran Friel
Aug 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: to lovers of classic short stories, and those seeking to study the basics of writing, story, etc.
Shelves: books-on-writing
Classic short stories for study of multiple styles, POV, voice, etc. A must have companion to the Gotham Writers' Guide.
Cassidy Queerface
Apr 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is a great collection of stories. Probably my favorite collection of short stories I've read. I particularly like that they divided them into themes rather than alphabetical by author.
Emily
Dec 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the most inspiring short story collections I own.
Charlie
Feb 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: writing-books
This is the book that I wish I would have read first. Everything that I have ever read about writing is within these pages. It is not entertaining, but it is information-full. In better times, this would be the go-to book for writers, but in our current lifetime, we want to be entertained in everything we do, including learning. This does not make the book a bad purchase, but this should be at the beginning of your journey, not the middle.
Jennifer Vilaga
Dec 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An incredible collection of short stories, many of them just out-and-out masterpieces. Included are the usual authorities on the form: Chekov, Cheever, Carver, Chopin (hey, look! They all have last names beginning with the letter C!). The book was organized across themes, from childhood to love to friends and family to the job to strangeness (the weakest section of the bunch, go figure) to finally, tragically, "sunset." The book introduced me to a lot of jaw-dropping talent: ZZ Packer, Hannah Ti ...more
Bryan
Oct 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novels
This book is recommended for those taking the GWW Intro to Fiction Class, which I am currently taking. For the most part, I enjoyed all the stories. Of course, some I enjoyed more than others. I did learn alot about the craft of fiction by reading these with an eye towards how they were written. The website at GWW has a little information on each story that increased my knowledge and enjoyment of the book. My favorite story was the last one written by Nathaniel Hawthorne.
Sharry
Jan 27, 2013 rated it liked it
I've never been a big fan of short stories. It always feels like the stories are ending just as I'm getting to know the characters. Gotham Writers' Workshop, however, put together a collection well worth reading. I picked it up as a way to study the format and structure of short stories, but I found myself enjoying reading one or two before bed. It's an interesting and eclectic collection.
Christopher
Stellar examples of fine short story writing. Designed to teach, as well as entertain.
Dhruv
Feb 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: inflight
frequent travel has made me rediscover the short story...odd that literary form that is actually quite dated is so relevant and convenient today.
Teddy
Jan 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
I've never really read collections of short stories before, so this was great. Its some of the best published short stories, and it was very helpful to me in my own writing process of my short story.
Emily Thompson
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A great collection.
Amanda
Nov 08, 2015 added it
Lost interest.
Linda Nichols
Apr 08, 2012 is currently reading it
Working my way through it slowly but it has been helpful and insightful, in my quest to become a better writer.
Don
Sep 24, 2008 marked it as to-read
Holy Moses! I went to put the other Gotham book away, and found this on my shelf--forgot that I'd bought this some time ago, also on the cheap, at the campus store.
Jessie Sara
Jun 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing

Very practical and with great examples from popular fictions.
Andy Glasser
Dec 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Excellent collection of short stories.
Tim Suddeth
Oct 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing
Very good book on the craft and work of writing. Great examples from good writers.
Francisco Becerra
Jan 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
A fine collection of amazing short stories. A must.
Amar
Oct 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
A great variety of styles in this short story collection. Enjoyed hopping from one author to the next and found some highly original pieces.
Kevin Gallan
Dec 03, 2010 marked it as to-read
Shelves: anthology, own, fiction
9/356
Angella
Jun 07, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: school-related
There are some really great stories in here. One of the best was Daniel Orozco's "Orientation".
David Sheets
Nov 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
If you want great examples of short stories to help cultivate your own writing style, read this collection. This is how writing should be done. The rest of us can only hope to do as well.
James Elwood
Jan 23, 2018
Michelle Kouzmine
Sep 06, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Gotham Writers' Workshop: Writing Fiction: The Practical Guide From New York's Acclaimed Creative Writing School
  • Animal Crackers