Start by marking “Fantastic Mr. Fox” as Want to Read:
Fantastic Mr. Fox

Fantastic Mr. Fox

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  80,499 Ratings  ·  3,033 Reviews
Fantastic Mr. Fox is on the run! The three meanest farmers around are out to get him. Fat Boggis, squat Bunce, and skinny Bean have joined forces, and they have Mr. Fox and his family surrounded. What they don’t know is that they’re not dealing with just any fox–Mr. Fox would never surrender. But only the most fantastic plan ever can save him now.
Published June 27th 1996 by Viking Children's Books (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Fantastic Mr. Fox, please sign up.

Camilla Tilly This short little book was yes, adapted in to a film. Pressing the word ADAPTED. The film bears very little resemblence with the book but what to…moreThis short little book was yes, adapted in to a film. Pressing the word ADAPTED. The film bears very little resemblence with the book but what to expect when the book is 93 pages long including pictures on almost every page? The film is 1 hour and 25 minutes long so obviously a lot of artistic liberties have been taken and to me, the entire story was ruined. I plain hated the film and my autistic boys had hundreds of questions since they hardly recognised anything from the book they have come to love. (less)
Camilla Tilly Well, in a way you can pretty much read any book to a child, but of course you need to be prepared to sit and explain a lot. My children have…moreWell, in a way you can pretty much read any book to a child, but of course you need to be prepared to sit and explain a lot. My children have certainly not been ready to hear Roald Dahl books at that age and at a Swedish library you will find the books placed in the 9-12 year old section. (less)

karen
May 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, GREG!!! YOU ARE OLD!!!!

greg's birthday is today, so i am floating this now to remind you that you still have time to shower him with presents!

it is greg's birthday!!! and as a treat for him, i am going to create a book review in which i use plenty of pictures of foxes!!! they are his favorite!!

first, a sleepy fox:

fox in a tube:

smi
Patrick
Aug 10, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My impressions in a single word: Meh.

I recently read this to my little boy, and I have to admit I really didn't care for it.

Don't get me wrong. It's not a *terrible* book. There's nothing hideously wrong with it. (See my review of Esio Trot, if you want to see me go off on a Dahl book I hated.)

But there wasn't much right with it either. The simple fact was Mr. Fox was not, in fact, very fantastic.

The plot centers around some farmers that try to kill Mr. Fox. They try to dig him out of his ho
Alex
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the youth
Shelves: 2016
This book encourages stealing, underage drinking, and living in an underground bunker so you never have to face sunlight again. Recommended!
Miranda Reads
Three stars for the questionable morals and implications for the animal society.

Mr. Fox stole from local farmers for years and the farmers are fed up. They decide to wipe out the entire Fox family. These are talking animals - this is murder.

Instead of trying to negotiate (or even work for a living), the Fox family makes a run for it and they end up endangering all the animal families that live in the hill, the Badgers, the Weasels, the Moles, the Rabbits, etc. Their homes and children are at r
Ahmed  Ejaz
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, full-lengths
Fantastic Mr. Fox is an amazing book for children. Even I, myself, loved Mr. Fox. He is soo clever and determined.

Mr. Fox steels food from three farms own by nasty owners. He steels to keep his family alive. But one day the owners finally decide to kill him once and for all. But Mr. Fox is too clever for them.
His optimism is amazing. I love optimistic characters. I didn't wanna read it. Had to read it for my younger cousin's school work.
Now I am happy that I read it. I highly recommend this bo
Greg
Jul 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-for-kids, foxes
Mr. Fox steals food nightly from one of the three disgusting and gluttonous farmers who have more then they need. The farmers get mad and set out to kill Mr. Fox. They have a hard time catching him, they destroy the earth trying to get him out of his hole, they waste many man-hours by making their workers surround the woods with weapons and ultimately Mr. Fox with the help of other underground animals find another way into the farms and go about their stealing in peace while the farmers sit endl ...more
Agir(آگِر)
این کتاب را برای آشنایی با دنیای کتابهای کودکان امروزی خواندم
رولد دال نویسنده محبوبی است ولی گاهی نمیتوانستم جلوی خودمو بگیرم و ایشان را با هانس کریستن آندرسن نویسنده محبوب دوران کودکی ام مقایسه نکنم
راستش از زمین تا آسمان فرق می کنند
شاید داستان های آندرسن مختص کودکان نباشد چون همین الان هم از خواندن قصه هایش لذت میبرم
؛)
کدام قصه را یارای برابری با جوجه اردک زشت و لباس نو امپراطور و ...است
البته در مورد لباس نو امپراطور می گویند که دزدی ادبی از مندیل خیال شیخ بهایی میباشد
خدایی خیلی شبیه هم هستند
Tijana
"Fantastični gospodin Lisac" je možda najbolja početna tačka za upoznavanje dečjih čitalaca s Dalom: nema grozomornih detalja, nema mučnih nagoveštaja, a humor ipak samo pršti, i knjiga (pripovetka, u suštini) oblikovana je kao avion, svrsishodno i aerodinamično. I na kraju lisice nadmudre zle lovce (nije da smo iznenađeni).
James
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Roald Dahl at his best - an oft overlooked story (at least until the film adaptation) this is lots of fun. A great story by Dahl with the usual wonderful accompanying illustrations by Quentin Blake.

Not to be missed.

Holden (malfunctions without books)
This is such a cute little book! A quick, funny and very enjoyable read. Highly recommend it if you want to dive back into your childhood for an hour or so.

Roald Dahl is famous for a reason!
Cait (Paper Fury)
I assume you're supposed to read these when you're...eight? Or ten? BUT WHATEVER. I read all of the Roald Dahl books when I was 14-15 and this is the only one I could never find. So now I have consumed it and I feel like my life is very complete with Roald Dahlness.

(Plus I had seen the movie years ago. There is a lot more in the movie than in the book. I definitely saw Mr. Fox as George Clooney though. Just sayin'.)
description

Aaaanyway. This is not my favourite Roald Dahl book (I'll always pick Matilda or
Trish
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This morning two new Roald Dahl books arrived and this one was an instant must-read. From a young age on I always adored stories about forest animals (which is why it's even more incomprehensible and outrageous that I have missed out on such a classic until now)!

The book is very thin but the story inside is full of wit, fun and excitement!

Roald Dahl tells the story of Mr. Fox, his wife and children and their tranquil life. However, there are 3 farmers with very bad intentions and since Mr. Fox i
belle ✨(bookishlybelle)
5/5 stars

this is probably my favorite roald dahl book, and if you haven't read it, i'd highly recommend it! it's funny, fast paced, and the descriptions of food will make your mouth water!

such a classic.
Jason Koivu
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Delightful! Though I do feel bad for the chickens, ducks and geese.
Stacey (prettybooks)
This is a short blogpost taken from Thoughts on Roald Dahl: The BFG, The Witches & Fantastic Mr. Fox.

I wasn't sure why, but Fantastic Mr. Fox felt the most festive to me, so I thought it'd be appropriate as my sixth Roald Dahl read. Now that I've read it, it's a little festive (gathering together with friends for a celebratory meal), but it's most likely because the film adaptation seems to always be on around Christmas – and now I cannot wait to watch it. Fantastic Mr. Fox is a charming, qu
Ferdy
Loved it, mostly because of the nostalgia but even with that it was still a really fun read.
Kali Wade
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just needed a taste of childhood again :)
Salymar
― Roald Dahl, Fantastic Mr. Fox

This short story reminded me of the The Three little pigs. The three little pigs here in the story are the farmers except that they are dumber, clumsier and stinkier. haha!
Karla
Feb 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even though Roald Dahl is one of my absolute favorite childhood authors, there are some titles that I've never read. This was one was absolutely fantastic. Sure, it promotes stealing, but only from bad guys. Like another review notes, so does Robin Hood.

But what I thought was illustrated so vividly here is that the three nasty farmers become obsessed with killing Mr. Fox for stealing their poultry, losing all perspective and sense of proportion. So much so that they take steam shovels to an enti
Hessa
Dec 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Indeed he's fantastic
Lata
Oct 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The fox was a clever fellow,
stealing chickens, geese and ducks.
He made the three farmers bellow,
And destroy his home with trucks.

This is a short and silly story,
That is funny and not gory.
The farmers go overboard.
So the fox raids their hoard,
Sharing with neighbours, in a great feast.
Now, really, who is the foul beast?
Christopher
There just aren't enough books for children that glorify stealing and drinking.
Marcus
Feb 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, fiction
Read it in one day to my four year old. He was fascinated and wide eyed the entire time. Then, at dinner he called his juice "strong cider" and talked about how it made his mouth and belly burn :).
Joey Woolfardis
[First read:?<2010. 3 stars.
Second read: 3rd April, 2016. 2 stars.]

Read as part of The Infinite Variety Reading Challenge, based on the BBC's Big Read Poll of 2003.

The first time I read this book I was jumping up and down on my friends bed. I was about ten. It was a fun time to be alive. The trials and tribulations of a talking fox were not a new phenomenon to me, but there was a bit of magical whimsy to this particular book that left an impression on me.

It's not a terrible book. It's written
Chaymâa
Oct 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I was reading Fantastic Mr. Fox, I had in mind three colorful bubbles (yes, sometimes I like to tease my ideas):

1. Roald Dahl is amazing.
2. Mr. Fox is indeed Fantastic!
3. And this stupid yet hilarious song:

Seriously Chaymâa?!

Well, as Roald Dahl said in this book :

Arielle Walker
Roald Dahl at his most delightful (with that hint of twisted humour that he does so well). This was the book that started my love of apple cider, though it was a good decade after my first read that I actually got to taste any.
Rimy
Nov 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Fantastic story
I really enjoyed it with my brother
Tisha
Jan 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Roald Dahl is undoubtedly one of my most favorite authors. I never get bored of his stories.
This book was short but full of excitement! Enjoyed it as usual. :D
Rosie
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this as always but it is so sexist!
Orbi Alter
Najljepše u cijeloj priči su Blakeove ilustracije. Inače Dahl mi zapravo ne leži...
i dont get it 24 253 Jan 15, 2017 05:13PM
101 Books to Read...: Fantastic Mr. Fox 6 9 Jul 21, 2016 09:11PM
The Neverlanders: Fantastic Mr. Fox Discussion 2 11 Mar 19, 2016 12:35AM
Around the Year i...: The Fantastic Mr. Fox, by Roald Dahl 8 28 Jan 20, 2016 01:27PM
2015 Reading Chal...: Fantastic Mr Fox by Roald Dahl 1 10 Jun 11, 2015 09:06AM
  • The Dragons of Blueland (My Father's Dragon, #3)
  • The Worst Witch All at Sea (Worst Witch, #4)
  • Mercy Watson to the Rescue (Mercy Watson #1)
  • Even More Terrible Tudors (Horrible Histories)
  • The Search for Delicious
  • The Great Paper Caper
  • Henry and Beezus (Henry, #2)
  • The Tale of Samuel Whiskers, or The Roly-Poly Pudding
  • A Necklace of Raindrops and Other Stories
  • Adventures Beyond Nutmouse Hall (Tumtum and Nutmeg #1-3)
  • Fox's Feud (Farthing Wood, #3)
  • Last Term at Malory Towers (Malory Towers, #6)
  • Escape From Warsaw
  • Jacob Two-Two Meets the Hooded Fang
  • More About Paddington (Paddington, #2)
  • Sophie's Tom (Sophie, #2)
  • Scrambled Eggs Super!
  • The Talented Clementine (Clementine, #2)

More about Roald Dahl...

• A House for Happy Mothers
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
  • The Lace Makers of Glenmara
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Quaker Café (Quaker Café #1)
  • The Honest Spy
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Mercer Girls
    $4.99 $1.99
  • While the World Is Still Asleep (The Century Trilogy Book 1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Very Valentine
    $10.99 $2.99
  • The Cellar
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Clouds (Glenbrooke, #5)
  • Ireland
  • Clara and Mr. Tiffany
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Golden Age: A Novel of Queen Elizabeth
    $8.24 $1.99
“I understand what you're saying, and your comments are valuable, but I'm gonna ignore your advice.” 725 likes
“Badger: The cuss you are.
Mr. Fox: The cuss am I? Are you cussing with me?”
64 likes