Jump to ratings and reviews
*Book #2 in the Variant Series*

Alexandra Parker might be the most powerful Variant the world has ever seen—but even that won’t get her out of finishing her junior year of high school.

The challenge of keeping her abilities under wraps during class is daunting enough, but throw one surly, sandy-haired Jumper into the mix, and things can get downright complicated.

Declan’s new job? Watch over Alex while she’s at school and do everything in his power to keep her from losing control. But as sparks of every kind begin flying between Alex and her new bodyguard, she's left feeling more unstable than ever.

When avoiding her abilities results in a surprise visit from her parents’ killer, Alex’s worlds collide with a bang that nearly levels Bay View High. With her freedom now squarely in the Agency’s crosshairs, Alex will be faced with the fight of her life… and a decision that could forever alter the course of her destiny.

370 pages, Kindle Edition

First published February 9, 2014

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Jena Leigh

4 books296 followers
Jena Leigh is the author of the Variant Series novels REVIVAL, RESISTANCE, REDUX, and RECKONING. Born and raised in the lightning capital of North America, she eventually made her home in the Smoky Mountains of Western North Carolina. A shameless geek, she loves coffee, loud music, bad sci-fi movies, Skittles, and shenanigan-filled road trips to faraway concerts.

To find out more about The Variant Series and author Jena Leigh, visit her online at www.jenaleighbooks.com or @jenaleighbooks.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
10 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 50 reviews
3 reviews
February 27, 2014
I seriously LOVE LOVE LOVE this series! Resistance had me hooked from the first chapter. I had to pace myself reading it so it wouldn't be gone too soon! I love how strong and independent Alex is, and how she is so different from other female characters (in the sense her life doesn't revolve around a boy). On that note however, don't get me started on Declan. He is probably one of my favorite male characters out of all the books I have read in the past year or two. Declan is literally the perfect combination of cocky, sweet,I-would-do-anything-for-Alex and perfection. Together they are perfect, and I NEED to read the next book to find out what happens. This was the an amazing sequel to an excellent first book, and I can't wait to see how the series continues to develop!
Profile Image for Glass Fairy.
108 reviews18 followers
March 25, 2018
Wow!
Okay, this book somehow pulled a Return of the Jedi and became better than the first instalment in it's series! I kid you not!
Okay, so in the first book we learn all about this new world that has existed under our noses and stayed concealed thanks to the humans ability to ignore the obvious, and blame something that makes more sense, Lex gets a taste of a few powers, tries to get a hang on some of them and learns that she's the Peter Petrelli of The variants, and we meet the adorable bad boy that is Declan. This book kicks off to Lex hiding under her duvet covers and refusing to face the world, for fear of what she may do to some unsuspecting innocent. At first glance this may sound like she's being pretty pathetic, because if one day you woke up and found out you're practically a member of the Heroes cast, clearly we'd teleport to moon and back, read that hot guys mind and move everything possible around us while blasting the radio, like, full on Matilda those powers, but in reality if you just realised your skin was a sponge for powers that were scary, out of control and gave you headaches/ the ability to accidentally kill somebody, then move over Lex, I need to get under those sheets and hide myself from the world too to be quite honest.
All the juicy stuff I want to gossip about like a teenage girl at a sleepover would be considered spoilers, so I'm holding back, and god damn it's so hard!!
Jessica!! Well...she's just rearranged everything where Connor is concerned, but luckily Lex doesn't seem to have picked up on that enough to have some ex-regrets, Kenzie is like a red pomeranian that found it's way into a large pile of energy drinks, and Cas, is..well, still perverted, but it all seems to be directed at the lovely water wielder :)
Happy reading guys, this book isn't one to miss!

I also did some digging in regards to the 3rd book, looks like Jena Leigh is having a few health problems and has been pushing it a bit too hard trying to get it ready for release, so take a breather, read Wicked or The Throne Of Glass and set an Amazon reminder for the third, because it may take a while, but it looks like the wait will definitely be worth it!
11 reviews1 follower
June 4, 2017
The main characters refusal to use her powers or even acknowledge them is very annoying and frustrated me through the whole book. I kept wanting to reach my hands through the book and strangle her for being so unreasonable. Her weakness to stand up for herself to Jessica or anyone was pathetic and aggravated me to no end since I know what it is like to deal with stuff like that and that is not the reaction and way you want to show readers that they should react. That should not be normal. The main character overall just annoyed me and her constant fear at her school and of hurting others with her powers killed me because she just had to learn to control them. It was just a constant annoyance and it made me put down the book countless times to take away my anger. Her constant obsession with keeping Connor around is pathetic and is an offense to every girl whose ever been cheated on. It pissed me off and having to read all about the main characters insecurities was pathetic. This book deserves a 3 star but because I want books like it I gave it 5 stars since then recommendations will give me books with similar plots but hopefully less annoying characters that I don't want to strangle and kill.
Profile Image for Inda.
Author 7 books35 followers
April 1, 2014
So I entered this giveaway awhile ago and totally forgot about it. That is until I got an email from my friend’s blog saying I won the ebook! Needless to say, it totally made my day. This is the second book in the Variant series and I freaking devoured this in no time. I loved Declan, as usual, and all the rest of our favorite Variants. but I have to say, I didn’t like it as much as the first book. I only say that because it seemed like the first one had more lighthearted moments that countered the darker ones. This book was intense 24/7 without much of an emotional break, and I’m one of those readers that needs one. Besides that, the story was detailed and had a lot of great scenes along with story development. All in all a great story.

Resistance = 3.75 stars

See more of my reviews at http://indaherwoodbooks.wordpress.com
Profile Image for Vanessa.
54 reviews2 followers
August 12, 2014
Omg! I absolutely love this book! So many emotions are running through my mind right now. Alex becomes more powerful than ever but it's more than she can control. She's pressured by her duty, her schooling, her emotions, and everything else. I adore the moments between Declan and Alex, they're romantic and swoon-worthy. Slowly but surely she begins to realize the need to master her abilities and do what must be done. But the decision that she takes will through her into a whole other world. The end is packed with suspension and surprises! I honestly can't wait for the next book to be released!!!! So many questions that I have: what's Nate's true secret and what does Alex's past hold? A must read!
Profile Image for Jennah.
1 review1 follower
February 12, 2014
HUGE bummer. There's no way I can actually wait until the next book! Seriously though, great story, loved the douglas adams reference, and I am looking forward to this author's future books.
29 reviews
March 3, 2014
I freaking loved it could not put it down. Just wish I was not so confused but awesome can't wait for next!
Profile Image for Sin City's BookAholic.
21 reviews1 follower
July 2, 2017
OMG I want to finish this review just so I can start the next book! Jena Leigh how do you do it? She just doesn’t take the average powers that you sometimes read in other books, no she takes regular powers and add in some other regular powers to make something extraordinary. Alex is back with her friends but she is struggling with who she is and what she has become. This is great because you always see books give a character something out of the norm and they just move on and do remarkable things. But what you really want to see is how someone living with a normal life gets thrown into the deep end and see how they survive. It gives the book something you can relate to. And Declan and Alex getting closer? Ummm Yes please.

Read my full review @ www.sincitysbookaholic.org
Profile Image for Roseanne.
138 reviews45 followers
August 25, 2017
It's equally as gratifying as the first book in the series. Leigh's writing is addicting. Extremely. It reads like most serials, leaving you with an "aahh" comfortable feeling at the end but I couldn't help but dive right into the third book upon finishing this one. I'm embarrassed to say that I don't exactly remember where one ends and the next begins. But, I want to say it's at a part in the larger story that I'd of been highly pissed off at if I didn't have the third book at my immediate disposal. Hence, only four stars.
August 11, 2017
I absolutely love when a book makes you feel like you're part of a family and if I ever have the courage to write my own novel someday I can only hope that my readers feel what I felt reading resistance. Believe it or not that warm, gooey feeling is not as easy to come by as one might think. I would absolutely recommend this entire series. Truly excellent work.
Profile Image for Jessica Roe.
Author 9 books170 followers
July 22, 2020
Awesome book 2 in the series. I was in two minds about whether to give this series a read, and I'm so glad I did. It's fun, clever, action packed and romantic.

Book 2 was even better than book 1, and I'll be starting book 3 right away.
Profile Image for Samara Sant.
13 reviews
March 8, 2017
Love the series

I am obsessed with this series! There's a part of me that wishes our heroine would be with Nate! Maybe later in the series still get together?
11 reviews
January 27, 2020
Amazing book 😄

The storyline is great and it makes u laugh . I recommend this book to anybody who loves to read.
Profile Image for Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten).
1,601 reviews203 followers
April 25, 2014
Thank you to author Jena Leigh for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review!

Find this review and more on my blog The Rest Is Still Unwritten!

Resistance is the second book in Jena Leigh’s thrilling Variant series and is as equally as addictive as the first book in the series, continuing to excite with its appealing characters, action based story and riveting romance.

I have to say, I really, really like this series. It’s just plain fun to read with its fantastic character dynamic and chemistry. Honestly, this is just good reading. I will admit there didn’t seem to be the same set, and driven, storyline that we had in the first book, what with Alex learning who she was and all in Revival, but Resistance was still highly entertaining and a great read.

Told through the various POV’s of our main characters, Resistance gives us a well rounded look into their hearts and minds. I’m already head over heels for the great array of characters that feature in this series but Leigh keeps things interesting by introducing new individuals and new developments that are obviously meant to shape the evolving storyline—something that does not go astray as questions are answered at the same time more are raised.

Our main heroine and leading lady Alex continues to be great to follow, and she continues to grow. Alex has a lot to face in this book; both about herself and her purpose to the Variant society. I really like Alex and enjoy seeing her better herself. She continues to be easy to follow and relatable.

The other characters also continue to shine, with Declan in a bodyguard role of sorts and his sister Kenzie enrolling in Alex’s high school to help protect her after the events of the previous book. Cassie is there as Alex’s best friend and this time she enjoys an ever growing relationship with Aiden. Nate and Brian continue to harbor secrets that I for one am getting quite anxious over and new characters add new difficulties. Personally I love all these guys and they way they compliment each other. They’re a family through and through and Leigh does a great job showcasing this.

Jena Leigh continues to build on Alex’s relationship with Declan, something I just adore, however an unexpected enemy manipulates one of the two, managing to shatter the trust the two of them share. I was gutted to see these two begin to soar as a couple, only to be struck down once more. If the possibility of a love triangle between Alex, Declan and Nate wasn’t enough, we now have to contend with others manipulating them. Alex and Declan have such a great chemistry and the sexual tension is off the charts; I really just want to see them act upon, and cement, a relationship--although after the ending of Resistance, I have a feeling Jena Leigh has other things in mind.

The ending of this book is quite the cliffhanger! Jena leaves us all gaping and wondering what the implications of the final few pages could possibly mean. With some story developments obvious set-ups for the bigger picture, I personally can’t wait for the next instalment in this series. Resistance will leave fans desperate for more and ready to devour the next book stat!
Profile Image for Kara.
756 reviews
March 11, 2015
I enjoyed this sequel, but it wasn't as good as Revival. I was halfway through this book before I realized why both books are such drastically different colors (I preferred purple from the first one also). It totally had to do with Alex's power and changes she experiences, I didn't understand any of those changes until the end and it's still only slightly described what the plot is leading into.

Cassie and Kenzie are still my fave characters and even Declan has more development in this story. Also enjoyed the romance between Aiden and Cassie :) Brian also has more involvement in this story and he's such an amazing kid! I really didn't get why Connor is in this book until toward the end and having a huge problem with Alex not being done with him yet. It's explained why he cheated on her in much better detail, but even that doesn't make him more likable (he definitely doesn't fit into her new life yet he's always around).

The minor profanity in this book was more of a turnoff this time around, the story is already great without that kind of language. Taking God's name in vain and calling people a-holes just isn't needed to get your frustration across.

There are new characters introduced in this book (go Dr. Li!) and Mean Girl Jessica (i think that's her name) is more vicious than previously described. She's not just a bully, she's evil and needs to go down with the main villain. Hopefully in book 3, she will be dealt with and Connor will finally be given the boot from Alex. There's also a guy in Ireland who beats up Alex and gets away with it.....he's not part of the plot, but hopefully there will be a newspaper headline in book 3 describing his fate because he is seriously messed up for what he does to Alex.

I really enjoyed the intense weather in this book, it enhanced the plot beautifully even though it wasn't cool that Alex had to figure it out and pushes herself into a nose bleed calming the weather down. I also loved that the Variants go to war with The Agency! I don't agree with violence, but these people need to be stopped once and for all. If you're not there to help Grayson and Alex's family, then you need to stay out of their way. There are bigger problems to resolve than interfereing with them, namely stopping Masterson (loved how the aunt described how she would kill him again, only for good).

The end of Resistance KIND OF ends in a cliffhanger, another turnoff to the story, but I am looking forward to book 3 of the series and how things get wrapped up (unless there will be more books after that one) :) Uglies by Scott Westerfeld was also supposed to end with book 3 (Specials), but went on into Extras and that 4th book made the series EVEN BETTER! Just saying :)

Even though Resistance didn't have the same fun feel as Revival did, I still think it was good and I am looking forward to the conclusion when it's ready. I totally want to see Alex get her happy ending.
Profile Image for Jillian.
86 reviews6 followers
July 6, 2015
This book was even better than the first in the series. The powers exploded into new dimensions and we saw so much more of the Variant world than we previous were exposed to. The character development took off and each persona grew and changed, revealing interesting twists or hinting at secrets yet to be revealed!

Loved the surprise whammy about Jessica having an ability! I, of course, hated that Declan fell for it but it was a good reveal. I am really annoyed at Alex for continuing to fall apart even after she was told that he had been mind-pushed. Come on, give the guy a break. Also, she shouldn't have just STOOD THERE while Declan wandered off with Jessica. Hello, if my husband did that I would be in his face, reminding him of the real world, and taking down the crazy witch that was making her move. Relationships require trust. So I would've preferred if she had known something was wrong and confronted the situation. The shock value was understandable though, so I get why it didn't go down like that.

I can't wait to see what happens with Nate in the next book!!! Eeee! The ending of this book gave me CHILLS! The slow-mo before time travel, the drowning, the
Come on, beautiful, come back! Don't you die on me!
and the quietly whispered final line,
Nate.
LOVED IT! Goosebumps all over my arms, people! I am sooooo excited to finally find out the secret backstory of Nate and Alex. I am sad that this will probably lead to a love triangle, but I don't really mind that much this time. For now. When faced with a love triangle, I usually try to figure out who the author is leading us towards for the ultimate love interest and then I just root for that one. I couldn't stand the disappointment of being wrong, so I let the author lead me by the hand. I think that Leigh is leading towards Declan, since, you know, he's been in the lead since the beginning.

Loved the weather power with the additional time skills! Amazing! And that scene with the exam by the agency! O. M. G. Again with the goosebumps!!! When Alex went all Jean Grey/Dark Phoenix on the Agency and released her full power, EPIC! A little less, evil-y, but still. Woah.

description

EPIC. I said that already? Oh well. Too bad. Because it was. I DREAM of having moments like that! Hair in the wind, righting wrongs, drunk on righteous power, invoking fear in my enemies. Too much? Sorry. Still, a girl can dream!

Anyway, I finished reading and immediately searched the next book only to find... there wasn't one! Yet. But my wait won't be long. Thank the skies, just a couple more weeks until I can see what happens next!
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for ✨✨ Claire✨✨.
900 reviews31 followers
April 17, 2014
So, Alex manages to stay in society but has been warned and threatened that ANY out of control and she will be taken by the government for "protection".

This leaves Alex terrified at school, in case she bumps into another Variant without knowing.

Declan and Kenzie have enrolled as students and Declan appointed Alex's "Bodyguard" at the school.
Declan and Alex's relationship is steadily moving but before anything physical can happen they are always interrupted.

They got information there was just 2 more variants at the school - a guy who is a few grades higher and someone else she wont come into contact with.
With this knowledge she starts to relax a bit....but shes still seen as Alex, and the bullies from before are still at large and still taking pot shots at her whenever Declan leaves her side.

Walking in the grounds she bumps into someone and the coldness climbed her arms and she looks up to see a guy a couple of grades above her. Cute enough and apologises and heads off, Alex doesn't give it another thought.....until another power shows through.....

Shes still being tracked by the man who experimented on her and wants her to himself....
Shes trying to not touch anyone so she can't use her powers, but shes getting into situations where if shed HAD the power she could have got out of them....this leaves her to at last thin she can touch and handle the power she siphons from the other variant.

Saying no more, but it is a good follow up to "Revival" and the cliffhanger wants you to have the next one at your fingertips!!

Read on behalf of Xpresso Tours for an honest review
Profile Image for Larissa.
577 reviews8 followers
October 11, 2015
For the full effect of this review and its snapshots please click here.

Resistance is all about denial, denial, and denial. Learning. Learning. Learning. Being kept in the dark. Falling in love. Admitting to falling in love. Traveling through time. Controlling storms, healing, evolving. The final paragraph of this book will give you a fit, because seriously, what sane person enjoys cliffhangers? Except on TV they are fun, and you now for sure that next week -- same time and channel -- you will find out what's next in store. But with books...? Ugh, I just dread cliffhangers.
Well, I think I am a complete idiot because I cannot see the whole picture no matter what. I'm sure it will be a surprise; and in this book, you are sure to get a fair share of surprises.
1. what's up with the visions? What's the impending doom Brian and Grayson's seen?
2. Is Nate in love with Alex? Is Nate from the future, past; What's his secret, besides being a spy for the Agency? You know what? Scratch the future or past crap. I have no idea what I'm talking about.
3. he'll be back ranging storms with his family?

I gotta say this volume surprised me. I'm still a bit afloat with everything that's happened. Apparently I can't wrap my mind on it. At all. The possibilities running through my mind might as well be desperate attempts to put in order what's going on. Yeah, Miss Leigh, I'm just as confused as the main character. Thank you very much.
Profile Image for James.
467 reviews
December 31, 2014
A great book that continues the Variant series. I really loved this book. It was well-written and kept me on the edge of my seat the whole way through. The story continues where Revival left off and follows Alex as she tried to adjust to her new abilities, manage high school and not get into trouble with either The Agency or the psychotic Masterson. I loved getting to see Alex's character mature and really come into her unique abilities - even if she spent a while running away from them in the beginning. I was also really glad something finally happened between her and Declan - it's about time! I know it was kind of screwed up towards the end but I'm pretty sure there is hope for Alex and Declan yet. I also liked that this book was finally providing some answers about what Nate has been hiding all this time. However, after that massive cliffhanger ending I've now got a thousand more questions! Long story short - I need the next book now!
This is quickly becoming a great series and I look forward to continuing it. However, be warned if you are going to read it. You will quickly come down with a bad case of tormenting questions brought on by unbearable suspense and paralysing cliffhangers!
Profile Image for Sandra.
2,826 reviews10 followers
December 10, 2022
Still enjoyable but didn't like it as much as the first one for 2 reasons:
1. Alex being a whiny door-mat who insisted on sticking her head in the sand and refusing to use her powers for the first half dozen chapters. This would have made more sense at the start of the first book when she first discovers them not later after she has learnt to control some of them and used them to save herself and her friends. It bugged the hell out of me. Once she gets over this,and she eventually does (thanks Masterson) I once again enjoyed the story.
2. What happens with Declan and Jessica. It was unneccessary and there was no need for it.

Oh there was a third reason - stupid cliffhanger. I am super glad it looks like we will find out about the mystery with Nate but authors should be BANNED from ending on cliffhangers unless the next book is already available.
Profile Image for Tammy.
1,652 reviews77 followers
November 5, 2015
3.9 stars!!!!
I enjoy this one more than the 1st book. I think this book is much better than the 1st in timing and story telling.
Jena Leigh's writing is easy to read and her pace is steady with the right tug and pull. The story is gettig more interesting some plots get more complicated while some are reveal and finally the romance! But wait ... Did i glimsp a lve triangle? Please don't .
Overall Resistance has (more) action, romance, twisted turn of events and surprise & sudden lost that left me dumb found....nop no spoiler in my review. What i don't like in this book is Alex's childishness and the fact that Variants seem to pop up more and more while they should be quite scarce. Anyway the ending is totally kick me into full anticipation mode. Now I've to continue the series, damn!
Profile Image for Emily King.
74 reviews
April 7, 2014
I was not sure if I was going to pick this up...it had been so long since the last book was released...or maybe i have just read to many other books in between. But,i decided to go back and read the last book again and to refresh my mind, and man, i am glad i did. Great story, exciting characters, action, intrigue, suspense, and some romance thrown in. I loved it!!! And although, i am like "What just happened here!!!???" I am hugely excited to see what is going to happen next with Alex and her friends!! So stinkin excited!!
Profile Image for Anna.
35 reviews2 followers
August 25, 2015
Love, love love this series

YOU NEED TO READ THIS BOOK! I really counted the days until the next one, and then until the third one. While still very paranormal, this author creates something new and exciting. I have actually gone back and reread the first two so they are fresh my mind when starting #3. I do this often but I must admit it isn't often that I find I can't put it down when reading a book the 2nd time. I AM JUST AS ENTHRALLED this time as I was the first time. If you love paranormal stories of any kind you totally want to read this one
23 reviews
July 15, 2015
Yep it's good! Love it when you read the second book in a trilogy and it doesn't disappoint.

Everything you were hoping to happen from the first book starts happening but better.

This is where there are depth to characters, you're more invested in the story line blah blah...what's important here is that if you enjoyed the first then you'll continue to enjoy reading it - it's worth the money and time in my opinion.
February 25, 2015
Great read

Good sequel to the first book in the series. Looking forward to the next installment. I love youth literature that is actually a good read for youth . I'm perfectly fine with high school romance, but beyond that we should not be writing in adult scenes. Kudos to this author.
Profile Image for Sonia.
46 reviews
July 24, 2015
Loved this one maybe even a sliver more then the first one!!! That usually never happens but the story just keeps getting better and better!!! Oh and the cliffhanger!?!?!? Uhhhh I'm afraid to know what's going to happen in the third book!!! I can't wait!!!
148 reviews
March 12, 2014
I like this even better than the first! I really, really hope the author has everything thought through well enough to provide a plausible explanation for the way book 2 ends. (I'm trying not to give anything away!)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 50 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.