Start by marking “The Green Flash” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Green Flash

Winston Graham

The Green Flash

A life of crime can be very alluring, especially to one who falls between law-abiding respectability and the underworld. For David Abden, a baronet's nephew who loves fast cars and women, illegitimate opportunities present more than mere temptation, and when the glamour of risk begins to consume his life, Abden is presented with few easy ways out.
'. . . never strikes a
Published November 7th 2013 by Policy Press (first published August 12th 1987)

To ask other readers questions about The Green Flash, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Green Flash

Start your review of The Green Flash
Elizabeth Elwood
Aug 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very absorbing read for me as it is set during the late sixties and early seventies, the era of my own youth, so there was a familiarity in the setting that was comfortable and nostalgic. The protagonist, David Abden, is a flawed and interesting character. As a child of eleven, he had killed a drunken and abusive father, and in spite of a series of visits with a psychiatrist, he continues to carry the tormenting thought that the killing was deliberate rather than accidental. He has ...more
Lena
May 21, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I did not like this book but neither did I dislike it. It was more a case of me just not getting it. There did not seem to be much point to the story. I did not particularly like the characters and was never really gripped by the book. It was first published in 1986 so I think the writing was probably really good for the time it was released. It has not put me off Winston Graham and I would happily try something else he has written in the future.
Naomi
Mar 05, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An unusual character, I feel for a Winston Graham book. David Abden kills his father at the age of eleven. As you might guess, this haunts him all his life. He is not blamed for this except in his own thoughts and mind. It actually drives everything that happens to him and the people he associates with. I would rate this book much higher except I couldn't find any sympathy for the characters here until the very end.
Bea Alden
Aug 22, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What can you expect from a Winston Graham novel that begins with: "When he killed his father they sent him to a psychiatrist...?"
The protagonist,David, is, unusually, a rather unlikable character - through various adventures and intrigues one perceives his evolution as a person. Romance is, of course, included.
Debbie
Aug 01, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although dated, this was a good story about the workings of business and underhand tactics used.
Barbara
Jun 22, 2018
Flora McGowan
Feb 14, 2018

• Unreliable Memoirs
  • The Quiet Side of Passion (Isabel Dalhousie #12)
  • The Kites
  • An Unsuitable Match
  • Yellow Notebook: Diaries Volume I 1978–1986
  • The Corfu Trilogy (The Corfu Trilogy #1-3)
  • Tiddas
  • White Nights (Shetland Island, #2)
  • Olive Kitteridge (Olive Kitteridge, #1)
  • Anything Is Possible
  • The Seagull (Vera Stanhope #8)
  • The Little Village School
  • Charlie Savage
  • The Little Shop of Found Things (Found Things #1)
Winston Graham was the author of forty novels. His books have been widely translated and the Poldark series has been developed into two television series, shown in 22 countries. Six of Winston Graham's books have been filmed for the big screen, the most notable being Marnie, directed by Alfred Hitchcock. Winston Graham was a Fellow of the Royal Society of Literature (FRSL) and in 1983 was invested ...more