Start by marking “The Nanny” as Want to Read:
The Nanny

The Nanny

Twenty-three-year-old Jo Green knows that if she has to spend one more night in ultra-provincial Niblet-Upon-Avon she'll go completely bonkers! So she answers an ad in the paper, bids her devoted boyfriend Shaun adieu, and heads off to the big city. With a new job that offers excitement; a cool car; and her own suite with a TV, DVD player, and a cell phone, how can she go ...more
Published September 30th 2003 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published February 19th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Nanny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Nanny

Alaina
The Nanny was a pretty good book that I sort of flew through.

This book is about Jo, who is 23 years old and basically trying to find her footing throughout life. She answers an ad in the paper, because that's what normal people do - right? and she heads off to the big city all alone. BYE BOYFRIEND NAMED SHAUN! With this new job she gets a car, her own suite, a cellphone, and a bunch of other things. Everything is awesome in her world right now.. well until it isn't.

She meets the Fitzgerald and
Namratha
Nov 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
In recent months, I have waded through some fairly mediocre chick-lit. I have left books halfway, groaned at the plot-predictability and mentally castigated the dull-as-ditchwater heroines and their pompous heroes.

So now when I come across an author who took a much-mauled genre and perfectly bound all the essential elements together; I want to genuflect before the Lord and send up a fervent "Thank You!"

The Nanny is another brilliant offering by the late Melissa Nathan. It's a tale of 23 year-
Treasa
Jo has spent her entire life in Niblet-Upon-Avon and needs to get out, so when she's given the chance to take a job as a nanny in London, she jumps at the chance. Of course, this means leaving her long-time boyfriend at home. But the prospect of a new setting and a job in a fancy house with her own car, cell phone, and private suite will soften that blow. Jo gets along famously with her new employers and her three charges, and all seems to be going wonderfully... until her employer's grown-up (a ...more
Molly T
I have loved this book from the first time I read it. Thanks to my best friend who introduced me to the great Melissa Nathan. This book makes me laugh out loud. Nathan perfectly describes voices of little kids. Talulah especially. She is adorable. And I can just imagine a little kid acting exactly like her. It really brings something to the book. Otherwise this is just like most chick lit novels. Girl has a problem. Girl hates boy. Boy and girl start getting along. There is a huge fallout. They ...more
Kirstin
Jan 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who is a nanny and those who love Sophie Kinsella
I absolutely loved this book.

Asd insane as it sounds, I think this was mainly because it completely reminded me of my own life (asides from the handsome son part) but, I moved from a small town to be a nanny in london and I can guarantee that she has captured the feelings, nursery mums, first friends, and children brilliantly.

The book is written from several different perspectives, including the children, which I think is brilliant. Because there are so many entertwining stories going on, it mak
Kim
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Audiobook. New to me author. Loved the humour and creativity in the writing. Laughed out loud many times during this book. Only complaint, abrupt ending. Well worth the time to listen.
M.C.
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: incredible-books
I recently dsicovered Melissa Nathan.
The first book I read by her was Persuading Annie, a Persuasion retelling (if you don't know by now that Persuasion is my favorite Jane Austen novel, you really should subscribe to this blog. jk) and I instantly fell in love with her humor, her wit and her swoooooooony scenes.

And then, I grabbed the nanny.
Here is the synopsis:

Mariel
Apr 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Muy divertido. Ideal para una tarde. Me reí mucho con los niños y me encantó como la autora, fue capaz de enganchar todas las historias en 3ra persona sin necesidad de cortar la escena anterior. Se enganchaban en un sólo párrafo, por lo cuál, no había un parate para una y otra. Al principio me descolocó, pero a medida que leía le fui tomando la mano.
Muestra la relación de una familia donde los dos padres trabajan y dejan a niños chiquitos al cuidado de una niñera. También muestran el amor patern
Julie
Apr 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
I loved this book. The quiet, quirky, lovable main character and her family seemed very alive to me. Her little wards were funny and realistic, the supporting characters interesting and dynamic. And I really felt the love story between vrizzion in a soft way that made me smile. Chemistry is not easy to capture in this way.

The sadness I felt when I read about this author's untimely death stayed with me for awhile. I liked her very much and wish there were many more of her works to read. I reread
Audrey Wilkerson
When my husband and I lived overseas, many years ago, I went through a period where all I wanted to read was Chick Lit. Specifically, Chick Lit set in London. My favorite author became Melissa Nathan, who I discovered when trying to find some Pride and Prejudice retellings. I read Pride, Prejudice and Jasmin Field, and was hooked. A few years later, I searched to see the title of her latest book and was shocked and saddened to learn that she had passed away from cancer, leaving a young family. S ...more
Margaret
Sep 14, 2011 rated it liked it
I liked: The story-line, the multi-character point of view, the dissection of complex relationships, the humor

I disliked: The tendency to "tell" instead of "show" in the writing style, the unrealistic reactions of characters at certain points in the book

Overall, I enjoyed this book and kept reading because I wanted to see what happened next. There are several different story-lines and it's interesting to see how they intersect. I wish she had written certain conversations and situations out inst
Claire
Dec 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
They say a change is as good as a rest. Maybe that's why I picked this up - it's at least 10 years since I read a book I would classify as chicklit. Two chapters in I was being reminded why. Then in the next chapter I had my first laugh out loud moment and I remembered why this genre is so popular. The feel good plot and self-effacing humour is just what was needed during a crazily busy holiday season. And there were plenty of memories from my own days of juggling a career with kids and a nanny ...more
Abi Walton
Apr 27, 2012 added it
Shelves: chick-lit
I loved this book and i love Melissa Nathan's writing she is one of the best Authors i have ever read and i have now finished her collection and all of them were superb.
The Nanny is enriching and keeps you glued to the pages the whole way through, i haven't read such a captivating book in a long time thank you Melissa.
Kelly
May 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Guilty pleasure - read this in 2007 and after hearing Melissa Nathan lost her battle with cancer, have been re-reading all of her books. She was a great author with a skill in writing fun chick-lit. She will be missed.
ara133photography
Jul 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chick-lit
I'm so sad that we lost such a wonderful author. Melissa's books are just lovely - the characters are so well-written and the plots always hold my interest (even over several rereads of the same book!).
Debbie
Apr 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a very fun, entertaining and easy read. I really enjoyed it, it wasn't as predictable as I thought it would be. I recommend to anyone who wants a nice fun, cosy, easy book to curls up to this is it!
Megan Way
Sep 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
It was a little difficult maybe the first 3 chapters to get use to having so many point of views. But by the end it was very good. I had to laugh a lot out loud at the kiddos.
Michellestevens234
Apr 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
fantastic book, made me laugh throughout, really good plot and the kids were brilliant.
Noelia
Historia entretenida a la que no se le saca todo el partido, se quedó a medias.
Mar 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I first read this book about 8 years ago. It got passed round my friends and is now very dogged eared. Always a good one to turn to for a light read and a cheer up :)
Kathy
Feb 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
Fun. I liked it better than Nanny Diaries.
Cooper
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
The story of Jo and her journey from country girl living at home to independent young woman living and earning her way in London should have been my type of chick lit.

I liked Jo and I liked that Ms. Nathan didn't make her a cliched chick lit heroine -- you know, boy breaks girls heart, girl moves to city to mend her broken heart, and then finds the true love of her life. She is in a relationship but goes to London not due to a broken heart but to understand why she can't commit to her boyfriend.
Wawa
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second time around was just as good as the first. I loved it! Love all the questions brought up about the imbalance of male-female roles and dynamics within the home. Love the romantic stories. Love the grown up children, haha. I mis-remembered a lot of details so it was nice to read again. It felt like a rediscovery of the story.
Michele
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was sometimes 2 stars, sometimes 4 stars, it had moments of 5 stars....it got tedious, it got too predictable, it got to the point I was going to quit...and then it got good. It went off in dire tions I had never imagined...but it worked. I realize Brit chick lit isn't my favorite genre, in fact, I can only read it here and there. But, I am glad I stuck with The Nanny.
Donna
I really enjoyed this book. The family she worked for was very interesting. I found myself laughing at some of the comments they made to each other from the very beginning of the book. I also found myself disliking her friend, Sheila. Overall, it was a very good read and I will be on the lookout for more by this author.
Fabienne
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Chick lit - but The good Kind!
I really enjoyed this book, the characters grew on me quickly.
The only downside was that The Main Character Jo and her Love Interest take The whole damn book to get together - and thats exactly The Moment The book Ends. I would have liked To read more about them being together.
Krupa Grace
This was sort of a disappointment. The only reason I opted for the book was the fact that it is supposedly a Lizzie Darcy story. But that was just lie. But it was a fun read. Kept my mind busy for a while😒😒
Emily Weston
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is a heart-warming read. There are twists and surprises which allow this not just to be a romantic comedy, but also keeps you reading to see what happens. The writing style is true to life and allows you to feel immersed in the story, with believable characters.
Anastasia Wilson
Aug 05, 2017 rated it did not like it
far too long winded, really poor story
Ginger Rogers
  • Getting Personal
  • Be Careful What You Wish For
  • Just Friends
  • The Love Academy
  • Scot On The Rocks: How I Survived My Ex-Boyfriend's Wedding With My Dignity Ever-So Slightly Intact (Brooke Miller, #1)
  • The Nearly-Weds
  • Dog Handling
  • Holly's Inbox (Holly's Inbox #1)
  • The Boy I Loved Before
  • Heaven Can Wait
  • Frenemies
  • The Personal Shopper (Annie Valentine #1)
  • Goodbye, Jimmy Choo
  • The Wag's Diary (WAGs Diary, #1)
Melissa Jane Nathan (13 June 1968 – 7 April 2006) was a journalist and UK author of popular "chick lit" novels in the early 2000s.
When working on Persuading Annie (2001), Nathan was diagnosed with breast cancer. She refused to let the illness dominate her life, and - in public anyway - was unfailingly positive. She had no time for most journalism written by cancer sufferers: "self-indulgent dirges