Start by marking “The Waitress” as Want to Read:
The Waitress

The Waitress

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  2,368 Ratings  ·  99 Reviews
The Appetizer

Katie has lofty career aspirations that seem to change almost hourly: writer, film director, teacher, educational psychiatrist. In the meantime, she's waiting tables and waiting for "Mr. Right" to arrive out of the blue -- which seems unlikely, considering her romantic track record is as pitiful as her job history.

The Main Course

Still, a girl can dream, even w
Published April 26th 2005 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Waitress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Waitress

Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie KinsellaSomething Borrowed by Emily GiffinBridget Jones's Diary by Helen FieldingPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenCan You Keep a Secret? by Sophie Kinsella
Best chicklit
714 books — 1,090 voters
Kitchen Confidential by Anthony BourdainTable 21 by T. Rafael CiminoFried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie FlaggWaiter Rant by The WaiterAs the Matzo Ball Turns by Jozef Rothstein
Restaurant Reads
74 books — 78 voters

More lists with this book...

Vasia
Sep 13, 2013 rated it it was ok
This book is about a 20-something-year-old who refuses to grow up, and wonders aimlessly through life, doing a job she doesn't really like and can't decide what to do for her rest of her life. Turns out, she really did love her shitty waitressing job, and it only took a promotion and a hot boss to realise it. inspiring.
Jessica
Jul 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I read this book, I wasn't so into reading thick books because I get impatient and most of the time ending up jumping to the last chapters after reaching the middle, but this is one of those books which I patiently read through all chapters.

I actually wasn't expecting anything about this book. I bought it on a whim actually while I was on a date with my husband. And yes, to be honest it was because of the more because of the cover than the blurb, hahaha :D

But after reading this book, I was
Kathleen
Aug 11, 2008 rated it liked it
I am not quite sure what to say about this book. I enjoyed the book, but found it tough to get going. It isn't the best chick-lit option out there, but it had some good qualities that kept me reading until the end. I think the best part was the last few pages which helped tie it all together...it is OK to take your time to figure out what you want to do in life - the journey is just as important as the destination.
Lauren
Jun 18, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2012
Cómo hacía tiempo que no me leía nada de chick-lit, me decidí por esta novela que tenía buena pinta.

En realidad, he salido algo escaldada y no es que la autora escriba mal. El libro, al igual que mis favoritos de Marian Keyes, tiene puntos buenos de humor, temas interesantes de los que tratar y unos personajes que no podían ser más sacados de la realidad ni hechos a medida (yo misma me he sentido identificada con uno de ellos) pero aún con todo y eso, la historia no me ha terminado de convencer.
Chin
I like the way The Waitress written by Melissa Nathan is written in. Following the format like a menu in a restaurant. With appetizers, main courses, desserts and of course don’t forget there is the bill. These subcategories are separated from her life. For instance, the main courses are what the protagonist- Katie’s ideals are such as her idea of romance is a goodbye kiss. However, the bill which she needs to pay up are her ex eager to find her. Nathan ended with the novel nicely. The mood she ...more
Steffi
May 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Perfect!
i just love Melissa Nathan's style. Getting to know something about everyone in the book. You always find a way of identifying with at least one of her characters.
In my case that was the main character Katie Simmonds. In her twenties, not knowing what to do with her life, that job she really wants to do and having her parents at her back, trying to get her to make a decision. A decision, they would approve of.
Well at least her mother does. Her father only wants, what's good for her. He w
Kitvaria Sarene
Feb 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A great laugh out loud book.
It was my first English book I ever read (being from Germany), and it was witty enough to keep me reading, even when I got stuck on a word now or then. I had a lot of fun, liked the characters, enjoyed the plot, and had a really good time being entertained.

I can really recommend it to all fans of chick lit like Kinsella!
Dianne
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book was really just a filler to read over the Christmas break. I didn't develop any empathy for the characters so really didn't care what happened to them. All in all it was a pretty predictable story.
Angela
Aug 24, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: brit chick lit lovers
Recommended to Angela by: series
This was an okay read. It dragged on a little too much about the ex-boyfriend but the waitress side of things was interesting. My favorite character was the dishwasher boy Matt. I enjoyed The Nanny by the same author much better.
Alice
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: melissa-nathan

"The Waitress" by Melissa Nathan is a warm, witty and entertaining book. Not only it makes you laugh out loud at some parts, but it also makes you think and search what's under the surface.

It's very close to real life, as it shows a woman who despite being well-educated is unable to make a commitment at work as well as in romance. Katie Simmonds, the heroine, has many dreams, but somehow, she fails to make them come true - this scenario repeats itself time and time again. However, there is so

Elusive Controversé
Jan 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review
In ‘The Waitress’, 24-year-old Katie is unsure about her ideal career. She has fleeting interests hence she changes her mind about what path to pursue so often to the point where it’s hard to keep track of her latest aspiration. As she takes her time to figure out her dream job, she works as a waitress and hates every minute of it. When she is unexpectedly asked out on a date by handsome Dan, she falls for him only to ruin their first date. Can Katie do anything right?

This is the sort of book wh
Lucia
Apr 25, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: libri-europei
Recensione anche su: La biblioteca di Medusa

Ho trovato questo libro nella mia esplorazione della biblioteca vicino casa. Era li, solo soletto, sembrava chiamarmi e chiedermi Leggimi!. Come potevo rifiutare? Mi ha in un primo momento sconfortato la lunghezza, mi sono infatti chiesta se lo avrei finito (ultimamente ho poca pazienza nella lettura). Eppure, dopo qualche conto sulle dita mi sono detta Provaci!.
Così eccomi qui, in poche parole, dopo 9 giorni a recensirlo.

Katie Simmonds è una protagoni
Shy
My Review: The late Melissa Nathan was an excellent chick-lit author. Even though the storyline of her book, The Waitress, doesn’t really deviate too far away from the other chick-lit books out there, there was still something distinct in her style of writing that make the book looks unique. I’ve read her two other books before – The Nanny and The Learning Curve – and I’m glad to say that this one also didn’t disappoint.

The Waitress chronicled the life of Katie, a cheeky and sarcastic waitress
Becky
Jan 10, 2016 rated it liked it
“The Waitress” by Melissa Nathan was a quirky chic-lit book that I just happened upon. I’m not certain where it came from, but it appeared on my bookshelf when I was looking for a light read, so I grabbed it. I was a little surprised at the different directions that the book went off in, but overall found myself interested in Katie. The book has a romantic side to it, but there is also a lot of focus on Katie trying to discover who she is and who she wants to be.

Part of what I enjoyed about “Th
Namratha
Nov 20, 2010 rated it liked it
Katie Simmonds is an ambitious young lady. This week she wants to be an educational psychologist. The one before that, she wanted to be a teacher. And the week before that, a film director. She’s earned her degree from Oxford and believes that the world is her oyster. Sadly the oyster is yet to be shucked and she’s living out her life as a waitress in a dead-beat cafe. It may not be the best job in the world but it pays the bills and provides a stop-gap while she imagines herself in one glamorou ...more
Kelly
This book was cute, but I struggled with it because it had the potential to be a really fun, absorbing, forget-the-day-because-I'm-reading, book. The idea is good, the characters were unique and had good characteristics and bad characteristics... the bones were there. The flesh however, was lacking.

This novel desperately needed a better editing job than it received - there were entire chapters, and a couple of characters, that could have been cut. I did not care what happened to Hugh outside of
Laura Bere
Jessica
Feb 15, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: already-borrowed
DNF page 101.
Quite honestly I found this book incredibly boring and tedious. A quarter way through the book and nothing had happened... So i gave up on that one and have just been reading fangirl since.
Alice
Aug 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Mlle Alice, pouvez-vous nous raconter votre rencontre avec The Waitress?

"C'est grâce à Jane Austen que j'ai découvert Melissa Nathan et deux de ses romans: Acting Up et Persuading Annie, qui sont respectivement d'excellentes réécritures modernes d'Orgueil et Préjugés et Persuasion. Et je me suis dit alors: "Pourquoi s'arrêter là!"

Dites-nous en un peu plus sur son histoire...

"Katie est une jeune femme un peu perdue, qui est serveuse en attendant de trouver ce qu'elle veut véritablement faire
Jennifer Bernard
Aug 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the earliest books i bought spending my hard earned money and which i avoided reading until i had nothing else to go on.

Katie, I can only describe her a clueless but one who has a lot of ambition to prove herself. To whom- probably the rest of the world. She can be a writer, film director, teacher, educational psychiatrist, etc.
But what is she now? A waitress.

Her personal lives are a disaster, her professional life is a disaster.
Enter Dan. The guy who makes her heart beat fast.
Ronny
Sep 13, 2015 rated it did not like it
Samrina
May 02, 2010 rated it did not like it
after reading "the learning curve" by melissa nathan i thot tht any book wud b bettr thn this buk...but unfortunately this buk was evn worse...the only gud thng abt melissa nathan's book is tht the outlining plots or the storyline is gud...in ths book the outline "girls strands a guy in the restaurant on their first date and ends up owrking with him" is interesting n one might evn look forward to it wid excitement...but thr is absolutely NO chemistry between the lead pair...how cn they fall in l ...more
Kellie
Sep 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2007-reads
It took me about 100 pages to get into this book. Once I did, I was hooked. This reminded me a little bit of “Amanda’s Wedding” but it was much better. It is a story about Katie. Katie is a waitress and is trying to figure out what to do with her life. This book was had adjacent stories and expressions of feelings from the other characters. It made the book more interesting and unique. Although the main character was Katie, the author was very deliberate in detailing the lives of some of the oth ...more
Devina Dutta
Jan 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
i loved The Waitress! The unique plot about a girl who is unable to decide her future career or the right man is someone I could definitely relate to. The honest narration and the fine sarcasm mixed with the right amount of humor was charming.
Katie Simmonds, a waitress at the rundown restaurant, The Cafe has big dreams with zero ambitions. Every week she has new career choice or a new passion, something which she gets bored of in less than a week. Her chance encounter with Dan and a later disas
Linda
May 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Really funny book. Lots of dialogue if you like that sort of thing, but it might annoy you if you don't. There were times when it went a little awry and I didn't know what she was getting at, as if the writer was writing what she was thinking and believed the reader to be in on her thought processes, but it didn't detract too much. I haven't finished this book yet but am finding it harder and harder to put down. On the whole, quite clever how the author can make a whole book about a couple of di ...more
Kat A
Apr 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
This was ok. Typical chick lit format, with the exception of dividing the story up like a menu, appetizer, main course, dessert etc. I feel bad that I sort of read it and forgot about, especially since the author died at such a young age which sets off that sub-conscious thing when works become better posthumously. I really liked The Nanny, so I wanted to like this more, but in reality, it's a light read, good for someone who either really likes chick lit as a genre, or needs a really long book ...more
Zoe-Katarina (KattieKay)
I read this book after reading The Nanny. At first it was a lot more difficult to get in to, but once I did it was just as good. Melissa Nathan is good at describing lots of different people's lives and drawing you in to each of them. Each character has their own story line, yet each characters story overlaps someone elses. This book revolves around the Cafe, and the staff in it. It was a completely different setup to books I am used to, but thoroughly enjoyed it. I am looking forward to reading ...more
Jen
Nov 30, 2010 added it
Ok, I am not finished (and probably won't finish) this book but I have to say that the beginning is really asinine. I mean...wow. I'm more into historical fiction, but want to get back into books in my own century. So far...not working out so well. I can't get past all the stupid little phrases. One being "pelvic floor" instead of "stomach." That turn-of-phrase didn't necessarily make me think her lil romance w/ Danny-boy would be fun to hear about.

I've only made it to page 12.... Not sure if I
Bookworm
Jul 11, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It is with regret that I will be putting this book down instead of finishing it. I'm midway into the story but so far the main characters Katie and Dan don't hold much allure. I find their chemistry to be forced too. Too much detail about the supporting characters. With all due respect to the author Melissa Nathan (she has since passed away), I very much prefer The Learning Curve. That's on one of my favorites shelf.

Lisa Lindman
Jun 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
A super witty and fun read! I don't know why I love romantic books so much. They are so predictable (the "will they/ won't they?" back and forth) and I find myself yelling (in my head of course) "Just tell her/him how you feel dammit!". But I don't care! I eat them up like chocolate and keep asking for more. I really like Melissa Nathan's humor and ability to switch viewpoints effortlessly. Highly recommend! :)
  • Making Mischief
  • Getting Personal
  • The Love Academy
  • It Had to Be You
  • Amanda's Wedding
  • Late Night Shopping (Annie Valentine, #2)
  • Stupid Cupid
  • Rescuing Rose
  • Party Girl
  • Fast Friends
  • Roommates Wanted
  • The Matzo Ball Heiress
  • Hand-Me-Down (Red Dress Ink Novels)
  • A Little Trouble with the Facts
  • A Hollywood Ending
  • Family Trust
  • Game Over
  • Help Wanted, Desperately
Melissa Jane Nathan (13 June 1968 – 7 April 2006) was a journalist and UK author of popular "chick lit" novels in the early 2000s.
When working on Persuading Annie (2001), Nathan was diagnosed with breast cancer. She refused to let the illness dominate her life, and - in public anyway - was unfailingly positive. She had no time for most journalism written by cancer sufferers: "self-indulgent dirges
More about Melissa Nathan...