Start by marking “Fates (Fates, #1)” as Want to Read:
Fates (Fates, #1)

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

Fates

(Fates #1)

One moment. One foolish desire. One mistake. And Corinthe lost everything.

She fell from her tranquil life in Pyralis Terra and found herself exiled to the human world. Her punishment? To make sure people's fates unfold according to plan. Now, years later, Corinthe has one last assignment: kill Lucas Kaller. His death will be her ticket home.

But for the first time, Corinthe
Published February 11th 2014 by Delacorte Press

To ask other readers questions about Fates, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fates

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
A knife flashed in her hand and she lunged at him.

God, he had to be crazy. She had a knife to his throat and all he could think about was how her lips would taste.

Insanity. It had to be.

But he wanted to kiss her more than anything right that second.

You had one job. One fucking job.
“You must kill the boy.”
One. Fucking. Job.

This is not a story about redemption, this is the love story of the most bungling, bumbling, incompetent Fate in the entire fucking universe and the most starry-eyed boy who
Vivid Light ~ ♥♥
Apr 07, 2013 marked it as to-read
Shelves: not-published
Wendy Darling
DNF a few chapters in, plus I skimmed the ending, which is enough to see this one is SO not for me. The story, writing, and romance are all over the place.

Jennifer Armentrout
Oct 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
WOW....

That's is all I can say.
Seanean
Oct 28, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: gave-up
I hate this feeling. This feeling of being a quitter. But at 41% on my Kindle, I just can't take this book anymore. It's an absolute mess. I don't care about Corinthe. I don't care about Luc. I don't care about the Fates. And I sure as heck don't care about Free Radicals (which really only make me think of anti-aging creams).

I think the biggest issue is that it felt like the author was making things up as she went along. Hmmm... she'll have to have a way to find him, so let's give her an enchant
Debbie Narh
*I made it up to 30% before I called it quits.

Loretta: So, is Fates an action-packed story?
Me: No.
Loretta: Are there a lot of deaths in it?
Me: No.
Loretta: Are there any awesome creatures in it?
Me: Probably not.
Loretta: Oh...Well is the main character a badass heroine?
Me: Nope. Not even close.
Loretta: What kind of story is this?!
Me: It's a love story.
Loretta: But I thought it was an action-packed fantasy novel with a bunch of deaths!

description

Fates had so much potential. I mean, there's this chick who ma
Natasha
Aug 06, 2013 rated it did not like it

Fate is just one big giant mess. It has all the things that a YA fantasy cliche' has. Useless Mary Sue character, sketchy world building, instant love, unbelievable evil villains and more.

The thing is, I've always imagined the fates as those scary witches they showed in Disney's Hercules or Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters so it is kind of unreal to think of them as anything else.

Corinthe is one of the sister fate banished to earth for being too curious. Honestly, the real reason she was banish
Nasty Lady MJ
To see full rant click on one of the following links:
My blog with gifs

Booklikes without gifs

And now it’s time to play counter literary history. In which McBeth’s opinions about the witches (better known to literary snots as the three fates) is impeded. Undoubtedly, this would’ve occurred if he had gotten his slimy paws on Fates by Lanie Boss and think of how that would’ve ruined your high school literature experience.

Dear lord, people. It’s books like this that make me think anyone can get tradi
Circe
Dec 26, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2015
Fates no es libro que trata sobre mitología, no es un libro que tenga un trama alguno, es sencillamente un libro donde dos personajes están destinados a estar juntos.

Además de una portada hermosa que tiene este libro, lo que más me llamó fue a sinopsis, además de que está basada sobre la mitología, en este caso; griega.

Un gran error en este libro fue la mitología.

Se supone que debería estar basada en la mitología griega, pero no es para nada de mitología, solamente ponen criaturas sobre la mi
Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always
I always feel really sad whenever I DNF a buddy read. Luckily, my buddy Dyan agreed that we both should mark this one as a DNF read. It was that boring.

I read until 38% before finally giving up. You can find our joint mini review here. The gist is that we both:

- disliked the heroine, Corinthe, for acting much too desperate and annoying
- thought the plot was unique, but other factors overruled it
- liked her hero, Luc, at first, but realized our disdain for him
Dark Faerie Tales
Nov 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: A beautiful, touching story about a girl learning to love in a strange situation. This was engaging and brilliant, and fans of Delirium by Lauren Oliver will enjoy it!

Opening Sentence: Principal Sylvia Patterson pulled her office door shut, checked the lock, then hitched a stack of folders slightly higher in her left arm as she made her way down the empty halls of Mission High.

The Review:

Fates is about a girl named Corinthe, who has been ost
Jackie (No Bent Spines)
Aug 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013, arcs, kindle
1.5

You can find this review and more on http://nobentspines.blogspot.com/

Review:

There’s absolutely no question I adore Greek Myths. I mean come one guys…Medusa? Hades? Persephone? Hera? Aphrodite? How can you not find these guys interesting? In FATES, we discover a twist on the classic three fates story. The classic fates are Clotho (spinner), Lachesis (allotter) and Atropos (unturnable). In FATES there are wayyy more than three. Corinthe is just one of the ‘sister fates’ and the first on to be
Bella
I don’t know if I like this one as much as I would have liked to, I mean I love the blurb and the cover but once I got started I just for some reason could not get into it. Might have been ME, and I need to re-read. Sometimes I am just in the mood for the book I am reading. But I know I want to read it because really there was nothing bad to say about it. It was a great story line, the plot was awesome and Bross has a very great job at making you feel part of the book!

You will follow Corinthe i
Neil (or bleed)
1.5

Corinthe is a fallen Fate who was exiled in the human world and became an Executor, the one that assures the fate of a certain person will be carried out to what is destined to them. After several years of doing this, she was told that she can go back home by executing this one job: To kill someone.

At first, I liked Fates, I like how it begins, the premise, even the execution and I note-to-self that I will love this one because it was really interesting even though the concept was quite not o
Jessica (Goldenfurpro)
This and other reviews can be found on The Psychotic Nerd

MY THOUGHTS
I felt as if I was on a teeter-totter the whole time I was reading this book. Whenever I began to enjoy reading this book, I would be high up on the teeter-totter until something would happen in the book and bring me back to the ground. This would happen over and over again throughout the book, which makes me so sad! I wanted to enjoy this book! In fact, there were occasions that I was really close to enjoying it! But there wa
Mandy
I received Fates in return for an honest review a long time ago. Corinthe made a mistake that she’s spent the last 10 years living with away from the only home she’s known among the human world. At last the chance to get back into Pyralis Terra has presented it’s self where she now has the chance to complete one task and she will be able to go home. However her task is to kill the boy who helped her in the accident, and she also helped find out that his girlfriend wasn’t right for him. Setting o ...more
Jamie
Oct 24, 2013 rated it it was ok
I received this ARC at NYCC.

Corinthe is a fallen Fate. Now exiled to Earth, she is responsible for guiding people to their destinies, whether it be a new relationship or their deaths. She has labored for the past ten years believing that she will eventually be permitted to return to her home on Pyralis and rejoin her sister Fates.

But things begin unraveling as soon as she meets Luc. You see, after ten years on Earth, she is starting to become more and more human, and that includes the capability
Kelly
Nov 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Meh.
Evie
Jun 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a really entertaining book and a unique take on the Fates (otherwise known as Moirai from Greek mythology). The worldbuilding was solid and interesting enough to really grab me from the beginning, and even though some developments seemed very "convenient" to say the least, I can honestly say that I had fun reading this one.

The story is told in dual third person perspective, alternating between the point of view of Corinthe and Lucas.

Corinthe is one of the sister Fates. She's been exi
Erin Arkin
Nov 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Fates and Chaos are the first and second books of the Fates series by Lanie Bross and I have decided that I am going to do this review combining both books since I was able to read these books back to back. I have to admit, I enjoyed both books but I think Fates (book 1) edged out Chaos by a smidge. Please be warned – there are some things that I might mention that could be spoilers so definitely continue reading at your own risk.

Fates kicks off the series by introducing the reader to Corinthe.
Henrietta
Corinthe didn't like her life among the humans. An exile from Pyralis, she didn't have any plan for herself other than carrying out the orders that she received from her guardian and making sure that all orders were executed. When she knew she could go home if she accomplished a task that seemed very different from all previous orders, she didn't hesitate before accepting it. Could she finally return home?

For me, I had a somewhat difficult time connecting with Corinthe. I wouldn't say she wasn't
Stephanie Ward
3.5 Stars

'Fates' is the first book in a young adult fantasy series that questions the very concept of fate, destiny, and free will. It follows Corinthe, a Fate who is exiled to Humana (Earth) after making a mistake. Now she's an Executer - she makes sure that certain fates are done according to the plan. She's assured by her Guardian, Miranda, that after these past ten years on Earth, Corinthe can return home to Pyralis Terra after completing two final assignments. Enter Lucas Kaller - an averag
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review Courtesy All Things Urban Fantasy

I had high hopes for FATES when I read the description and was very excited to start reading it. Now that I’m finished, though, I can’t help but think I’d have liked it more if the description matched the actual story told.

For some authors (and I’m thinking of Kevin Hearne here), throwing characters into different planes of reality are almost seamless. Atticus shifting from one plane to the next just feels right in his world. In FATES, however, it’s more c
Kasey
Nov 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
This book started out with great potential and I was really enjoying Corinthe and Lucas. I felt so bad for Corinthe who seemed like she made such a tiny mistake and was punished incredibly harshly for it. I wanted her so badly to get her happy ending and go back to Pyralis. Lucas I felt bad for in a different way, he was so damaged from what happened with his mom that he almost didn't know how to function normally. I loved that he adored and took care of his sister although it did bother me how ...more
Eʟɪᴢᴀʙᴇᴛʜ
Oct 13, 2013 rated it it was ok
Corinthe is a fallen Fate, exiled to the human world. She becomes an Executor and must make sure that certain fates go according to plan. A final task is given to Corinthe in order for her to go home: kill Luc. Corinthe meets Luc and there is an instant connection. She begins having doubts and finds herself feeling emotions she has never felt before.

I was expecting a lot more from 'Fates'. The synopsis made it sound appealing and interesting. The overall plot was very confusing. Alternate univer
Amber
From what I've seen in the reviews, the opinions about this book are either love or hate and nothing in between. Personally, I thought it was amazing, but I can definitely see where the other people are coming from.

My favorite part about this book was the atmosphere of it. Bross was really able to capture this feeling and tone that set the mood for the whole book. The setting was beautiful and her prose and diction to describe just about every scene were almost always breathtaking. I loved that
Amber
Jul 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
I liked this book it was pretty good. I felt like the beginning was strong the middle
Was ok and the ending was pretty decent. I am still unsure about how I feel about corinthe and luc. But I am interested to see how it plays out. Obviously there is another book coming or even out with an ending like that.
Thi D
Aug 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
I have no words to describe how amazing this book is. Luc and Corinthe seem like halves of a heart that need to be together, yet, fate won't have it. This forbidden romance between them made this book all the more sweeter.
Grace
Nov 01, 2016 rated it liked it
• actual rating: 3.5 •
wasn't the best book, but not too bad.
could've been a lot better.
Blythe
Aug 19, 2013 marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
Yeah nope.
  • All That Glows (All That Glows, #1)
  • After Eden (After Eden, #1)
  • Prophecy of Oz (Prophecy of Oz, #1)
  • Dark Metropolis (Dark Metropolis, #1)
  • Mistwalker
  • Salvage
  • Landry Park (Landry Park, #1)
  • Underneath
  • Winter Falls (Twin Willows, #1)
  • Relic
  • The Lost Sun (The United States of Asgard, #1)
  • Brianna on the Brink
  • Such Sweet Sorrow
  • Til Death (Fractured Souls, #1)
  • Furious
  • Leap of Faith
  • The Ward (The Ward, #1)
  • Mystique
Lanie Bross was born in a small town in Maine, where she spent the next 18 years dreaming of bigger places. After exploring city life, she and her husband and two young sons ended up coming right back to the wilds of Maine where they now live just one house down from where she grew up. Fate, perhaps? She loves chasing around her rambunctious kids, playing tug-o-war with her 95 pound Lab, and writi ...more

Fates (2 books)