Start by marking “The Escape (John Puller, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Escape (John Puller, #3)

The Escape

(John Puller #3)

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  51,591 ratings  ·  3,165 reviews
It's a prison unlike any other. Military discipline rules. Its security systems are unmatched. None of its prisoners dream of escaping. They know it's impossible.

Until now.

John Puller's older brother, Robert, was convicted of treason and national security crimes. His inexplicable escape from prison makes him the most wanted criminal in the country. Some in the government b

Published November 18th 2014 by Grand Central Publishing (first published September 16th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Escape, please sign up.
Midas Jacobs No, you don't, well I didn't read the first two books at first. When you read the first two, you'll understand some references, but you'll get the sto…moreNo, you don't, well I didn't read the first two books at first. When you read the first two, you'll understand some references, but you'll get the story, and nothing important will be missed. (This is from my reading experiance)(less)

·  51,591 ratings  ·  3,165 reviews

Start your review of The Escape (John Puller, #3)
Phrynne
Apr 12, 2022 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 3500-2022
Love a good Baldacci. Here are my ratings so far on this series.
#1. Zero Day. Not fussed.
#2 The Forgotten Warming up to.
#3 The Escape Enjoyed.

In The Escape Puller's brother, Robert, escapes from Fort Leavenworth in extraordinary circumstances and the story develops from there. There is a bit of romantic interest but John Puller should definitely stay clear of her in the future. Lots of deaths, clever detective type work and cunning analysis of the situations.

Suspend belief and sit back and enjoy
Mike French
Dec 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
John Puller is getting close to displacing Oliver Stone as my favorite character in David Baldacci' s books. Like fine wine,he is getting better with age! If you haven't read the previous 2 books,I feel you can still read this first. Do yourself a favor and start reading about the exploits of John Puller!!
Jacki (Julia Flyte)
There are times in my reading life when I wish I had a time travel machine. If I did, I would go back four days in time and never start reading this idiotic book.

I am not a great fan of Baldacci's formulaic writing style, but I did enjoy Zero Day - the first book featuring Special Agent Jack Puller. It read like a shameless Lee Child rip off, but was no less enjoyable for that. Puller reappeared in The Forgotten, this time investigating the death of his aunt. Again, the writing was taut, the su
Alex is The Romance Fox
The 3rd book in David Baldacci’s John Puller Series, about former war hero and now one of the best military investigators in the US Army's Criminal Investigative Division.

I liked the 1st book, Zero Day https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1... and liked the 2nd even more https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1... and was very happy to get into book #3.

John Puller faces the most difficult and personal assignment, when he’s given the task of finding and arresting his older brother, Robert, a former m
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2017
David Baldacci has done it again. The Escape is a fabulous book, just like the other books I've read in this series and just like every other book I've read by Baldacci so far. I've wanted to learn more about Robert Puller and the crime he's said to have done and now I finally got to know why he was convicted of treason.

The Escape starts off with a Robert Puller escaping from prison. A maneuver that should have been impossible, but it seems that somehow everything that shouldn't be impossible to
Patricia Williams
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I felt I would never finish this book. It was very thick and although David Baldacci is one of my most favorite authors this one was a little hard for me. So many things going on in this story, a main character and his brother and a big problem I had with the book, too many Acronyms! But, it was a good and interesting story and John Puller is a good character to read about. I did enjoy the story and was glad I got to read it and the story got better the further into the book you got but there wa ...more
Corey
Of all the series Baldacci has written, I think the John Puller series is so far my favorite series by him, the series just gets better and better! At the end it left me wanting more, and I have a feeling it's due for a sequel. Filled with many twist and turns throughout, and awesome character development!

The Escape follows John Puller's older brother Robert Puller, who had been in a Maximum Security Prison for 2 years for high treason, and he escapes during a confusion and is now on the run, wi
Sean Peters
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Again so good to read my favourite type of book, and one of my favourite authors. Although my list of favourite authors is always going up!

David Baldacci has for quite a few years been one of my favourites, especially with his two great characters, Will Robie and also John Puller the star of this great book.

Puller's equally virile and handsome older brother, Robert, an Air Force major, is serving time in the U.S. Disciplinary Barracks in Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, following his conviction on char
Monnie
Nov 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It's impossible to describe what a treat it is to read a well-written action thriller that kept me turning pages even when I should have been doing other things and kept me wondering how it would turn out until close to the end. Of course, it shouldn't have come as a big surprise; this is the third book featuring U.S. Army Special Agent John Puller, and I gave 5 stars to Book No. 2, Zero Day and 4 to the first, The Forgotten.

This one, though, has a major twist; Puller's genius older brother, Rob
Kay
Sep 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Love John Puller series. Another great read.

Review went missing. How does save not working?
Tim
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finally, almost some closure on a primary character. Obviously, there is still lots more to be written. 8 of 10 stars
kartik narayanan
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Escape continues the upward movement of the John Puller series on the enjoyment curve. The reason is that Baldacci finally gets his act together and the book shows it. The story is good, the characters great, the action awesome and the finale fantastic (sorry, got carried away with the atrocious alliteration).

Robert Puller escapes mysteriously from prison and his brother, John Puller, is tasked with bringing him in. There is enough clandestine stuff going on to make your average conspiracy t
Feb 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
So exciting and so many twists. I love the Puller brothers. It was fun to get to know Robert. But that ending....so bittersweet. Knox!! Why?? And that’s all I’m going to say. Suffice it to say that I thoroughly enjoyed this book.
Matt
Oct 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Baldacci brings his readers another great novel, turning back to John Puller and his thrilling antics. When power goes out at Disciplinary Barracks at Fort Leavenworth, chaos follows. A headcount soon reveals that Robert Puller is nowhere to be found and an unidentified body lays in his bunk. Puller, convicted of treason, is feared on the lam and the military remain baffled as to how he's escaped. Younger brother, John Puller, has been asked by the military to investigate and determine how Rober ...more
Lisa
Jun 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have loved every minute of this series from Zero Day Now The Escape David Baldacci is my favourite author in this genre his spin on military fiction is top notch.

John Puller has just returned from an assignment & is asked to look into a case involving his older brother Robert who escapes from a high security prison there is also an unidentified body found in his cell.

general Daughtrey comes into the search & uncovers that Robert has been giving away secrets to the Russians one by one witnesses
Lili  Marcus
Sep 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-thriller
Finally...
Donna
Dec 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime-mystery
I love Balacci's books. I always know I'm in for a great read and this book did NOT disappoint. John Puller is a great character and he has a cat, so that makes him pretty close to perfect.

The best thing about his stories is the depth. He takes his time to set the stage without rushing or using shortcuts. He also sets a fast pace and has plenty of action. I was pulled into this book from the very beginning. There were creative twists that kept me interested. I also liked the introduction to the
Jeffrey
David Baldacci's latest novel, "The Escape", is a return to his John Puller series about the criminal investigative officer in the military charged with hunting down fugitives and military criminals. Puller's brother Robert, an officer in cyber command, was convicted of espionage and is a prisoner at one of America's most secure military prisons. In the two prior books in this series, Robert aided Puller's investigations, so it always seemed like Baldacci had a plan to use him in a bigger way.

Th
Brian Fagan
Aug 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Did you know that the U. S. has 17 official intelligence agencies? And many others that exist off the radar. "The Escape" is David Baldacci's third John Puller novel, written in 2014. When Puller's brother escapes from the U. S. Disciplinary Barracks in Leavenworth, the only maximum security military prison in the country, John is told by a member of the National Security Council that "interest in this case goes up (to government levels) so high you'd need a tank of oxygen to breathe".

His broth
Skip
Jan 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
One of the things that always bothered me about the John Puller series was his brother Robert languishing in a maximum security prison, convicted of espionage. A wicked storm knocks out the power to the prison, the back-up generators fail, and the cell doors unlock instead of locking, allowing Robert to escape, leaving an unidentified dead man in his cell. Miraculously, CID's John Puller is asked to help capture his brother by some senior military officials. He is joined by spy sleuth Veronica K ...more
✨Susan✨
For me this book oscillated between 3 & 4 stars. It is the last so far in a series so I may have missed out on truley knowing the main character, however, it really did not refer back to any prior incidents. Parts were fast moving, smart and exciting and then it would fall back into a movie script like storyline. Not DB's best, I have read some of his that are much better but this was still a pretty good story. ...more
❀Aimee❀ Just one more page...
I don't read a lot of thrillers, so I might not be the best for comparing one author to another. This one was fun for me.

Apparently this is book 3 in the John Puller series, but it was perfect as a standalone. Sometimes when you jump into the middle of a series, you feel like an outsider, or like you're missing something. I was never lost and felt connected and invested in the characters. This book also had the right amount of action for me. Nothing got too graphic, but nothing too dark or tortu
 Danielle The Book Huntress
Finally, the story centers on John's mysterious brother, Bobby, an extremely intelligent physicist for the USAF who was imprisoned for treason. Bobby has escaped from prison. John goes after him, to find out why his brother escaped, and also to find out why his brother was accused of prison in the first place. I liked all the plotting and twists and turns in this book. Bobby is equally intriguing as his brother. I'm glad he's out of jail and is able to settle what happened to him. Of course, at ...more
Terence M
2.5 stars for pretty much an "OK" effort by David Baldacci, but not up to the standard of his first John Puller novel.
I enjoy a lot of Baldacci's books, some are really good, some OK and some are pretty ordinary. He is such a prolific writer I excuse him for writing books I DNF'd because there are so many I thought were worth four stars and subject to check, I may have given him a couple of hard-to-earn fives!
Natalie M
Dec 28, 2021 rated it really liked it
Interesting closure for a key character.

I have finally read the third novel in the series, and I'd say it would be best enjoyed with knowledge of the previous two. True to form and prior novels, John Puller returns as highly dedicated and honourable to a fault. He lands up investigating his brother's incarceration in this instalment. The plot is interesting with multiple lines of investigation, and there is character development and closure.

A reasonably long read but satisfying in its conclusion
Jon Kurtz
Jun 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Puller cries - end of review.

Just kidding, at least about the "end of review" part.

In the third installment of the Puller series, John Puller’s older brother escapes from the maximum security wing of Fort Leavenworth's military prison. Robert Puller, once a rising star in the Department of Defense and the intelligence community, had been convicted of treason and national security crimes. The break-out makes him the most wanted man in the country.

In an unusual move, shadowy figures within the g
The Bursting Bookshelf of a Wallflower
4 stars!

I recently read the second installment in this series and I really enjoyed it - it has been one of my favorite reads this year. I was thus in a hurry to read Escape and the blurb sounded extremely promising. John Puller's brother has been mentioned many times in the two previous books and I was curious to finally find out more about him and his situation.

While Baldacci's books are usually extremely fast-paced, this one started out a little bit slower. There was of course a lot of action
Steven Walle
Jul 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Escape is a fast paced intense novle of espionage, suspense and even a little romance. It is a political thriller but much of the book focuses on relationships between brothers and want to be lovers. There are 3 canisters filled with Ebola which the Russians are planning to deploy in the Pentigon which would cause country catastrophy with hundreds of thousands dead. I recommend this read to every one.
Enjoy and Be Blessed.
Diamond
Rod
i just finished the Escape lots of twists and turns It was a page turner and a half i would like to see we might have a sequel or two down the track perhaps it deserves 5 Stars in my Book
If you want a nice three book action thriller set John Puller wont disappoint i do recommend reading them from the start although The escape is a very good stand alone read
Freda Malone
Oct 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
I've always liked and enjoyed David Baldacci novels. The complexity of his mysteries are compelling. My favorite is The Winner.

I like the John Puller novels.

• Immoral Origins (The Desire Card, #1)
  • Bottled Lightning
  • The Escape: (John Puller Book 3) by David Baldacci | Summary & Analysis
  • Better off Dead (Jack Reacher, #26)
  • The Dark Hours (Renée Ballard, #4; Harry Bosch Universe, #35)
  • The Judge's List (The Whistler, #2)
  • The Investigator (Letty Davenport #1)
  • Segment of One
  • The Sentinel (Jack Reacher, #25)
  • The Law of Innocence (Mickey Haller, #7; Harry Bosch Universe #34)
  • 22 Seconds (Women’s Murder Club #22)
  • Shadows Reel (Joe Pickett #22)
  • Bullseye (Michael Bennett, #9)
  • Dark Sacred Night (Renée Ballard, #2; Harry Bosch, #21; Harry Bosch Universe, #31)
  • Make Me (Jack Reacher, #20)
  • A Wanted Man (Jack Reacher, #17)
  • Past Tense (Jack Reacher, #23)
  • Personal (Jack Reacher, #19)
See top shelves…
David Baldacci has been writing since childhood, when his mother gave him a lined notebook in which to write down his stories. (Much later, when David thanked her for being the spark that ignited his writing career, she revealed that she’d given him the notebook to keep him quiet, "because every mom needs a break now and then.”)

David published his first novel, Absolute Power, in 1996; the feature

John Puller (4 books)
  • Zero Day (John Puller, #1)
  • The Forgotten (John Puller, #2)
  • No Man's Land (John Puller, #4)