Start by marking “The Escape (John Puller, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Escape (John Puller, #3)

The Escape (John Puller #3)

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  33,819 Ratings  ·  2,487 Reviews
It's a prison unlike any other. Military discipline rules. Its security systems are unmatched. None of its prisoners dream of escaping. They know it's impossible.

Until now.

John Puller's older brother, Robert, was convicted of treason and national security crimes. His inexplicable escape from prison makes him the most wanted criminal in the country. Some in the government b

Published November 18th 2014 by Grand Central Publishing (first published September 16th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Escape, please sign up.
John I read the first 50 and the last 70 pages... skipped paragraphs and pages for the mid section of this bloated book... and still didn't seem to have…moreI read the first 50 and the last 70 pages... skipped paragraphs and pages for the mid section of this bloated book... and still didn't seem to have missed a thing.
(less)
Midas Jacobs No, you don't, well I didn't read the first two books at first. When you read the first two, you'll understand some references, but you'll get the…moreNo, you don't, well I didn't read the first two books at first. When you read the first two, you'll understand some references, but you'll get the story, and nothing important will be missed. (This is from my reading experiance)(less)

Mike French
Dec 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
John Puller is getting close to displacing Oliver Stone as my favorite character in David Baldacci' s books. Like fine wine,he is getting better with age! If you haven't read the previous 2 books,I feel you can still read this first. Do yourself a favor and start reading about the exploits of John Puller!!
Alex is The Romance Fox
The 3rd book in David Baldacci’s John Puller Series, about former war hero and now one of the best military investigators in the US Army's Criminal Investigative Division.

I liked the 1st book, Zero Day https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1... and liked the 2nd even more https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1... and was very happy to get into book #3.

John Puller faces the most difficult and personal assignment, when he’s given the task of finding and arresting his older brother, Robert, a former m
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2017
David Baldacci has done it again. The Escape is a fabulous book, just like the other books I've read in this series and just like every other book I've read by Baldacci so far. I've wanted to learn more about Robert Puller and the crime he's said to have done and now I finally got to know why he was convicted of treason.

The Escape starts off with a Robert Puller escaping from prison. A maneuver that should have been impossible, but it seems that somehow everything that shouldn't be impossible to
Jacki (Julia Flyte)
There are times in my reading life when I wish I had a time travel machine. If I did, I would go back four days in time and never start reading this idiotic book.

I am not a great fan of Baldacci's formulaic writing style, but I did enjoy Zero Day - the first book featuring Special Agent Jack Puller. It read like a shameless Lee Child rip off, but was no less enjoyable for that. Puller reappeared in The Forgotten, this time investigating the death of his aunt. Again, the writing was taut, the su
Ware
Nov 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Three years ago I gave five stars to the first John Puller book Zero Day. I was a bit sarcastic though and suggested that David Baldacci reads Lee Child. ("Puller...Reacher...get it? Lee Child's drifter hero Jack Reacher is a former Army MP major. David Baldacci's new protagonist John Puller is an Army warrant officer serving in the CID of the military police.")

I am so sorry Mr. Baldacci. Forgive me Chief Puller.

This series is head and shoulders better than any of Mr. Child's excellent Jack Reac
Sean Peters
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Again so good to read my favourite type of book, and one of my favourite authors. Although my list of favourite authors is always going up!

David Baldacci has for quite a few years been one of my favourites, especially with his two great characters, Will Robie and also John Puller the star of this great book.

Puller's equally virile and handsome older brother, Robert, an Air Force major, is serving time in the U.S. Disciplinary Barracks in Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, following his conviction on char
Monnie
Nov 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It's impossible to describe what a treat it is to read a well-written action thriller that kept me turning pages even when I should have been doing other things and kept me wondering how it would turn out until close to the end. Of course, it shouldn't have come as a big surprise; this is the third book featuring U.S. Army Special Agent John Puller, and I gave 5 stars to Book No. 2, Zero Day and 4 to the first, The Forgotten.

This one, though, has a major twist; Puller's genius older brother, Rob
Corey
Dec 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Of all the series Baldacci has written, I think the John Puller series is so far my favorite series by him, the series just gets better and better! At the end it left me wanting more, and I have a feeling it's due for a sequel. Filled with many twist and turns throughout, and awesome character development!

The Escape follows John Puller's older brother Robert Puller, who had been in a Maximum Security Prison for 2 years for high treason, and he escapes during a confusion and is now on the run, wi
✨Susan✨
For me this book oscillated between 3 & 4 stars. It is the last so far in a series so I may have missed out on truley knowing the main character, however, it really did not refer back to any prior incidents. Parts were fast moving, smart and exciting and then it would fall back into a movie script like storyline. Not DB's best, I have read some of his that are much better but this was still a pretty good story.
kartik narayanan
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Escape continues the upward movement of the John Puller series on the enjoyment curve. The reason is that Baldacci finally gets his act together and the book shows it. The story is good, the characters great, the action awesome and the finale fantastic (sorry, got carried away with the atrocious alliteration).

Robert Puller escapes mysteriously from prison and his brother, John Puller, is tasked with bringing him in. There is enough clandestine stuff going on to make your average conspiracy t
Jeffrey
David Baldacci's latest novel, "The Escape", is a return to his John Puller series about the criminal investigative officer in the military charged with hunting down fugitives and military criminals. Puller's brother Robert, an officer in cyber command, was convicted of espionage and is a prisoner at one of America's most secure military prisons. In the two prior books in this series, Robert aided Puller's investigations, so it always seemed like Baldacci had a plan to use him in a bigger way.

Th
Lisa
Jun 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have loved every minute of this series from Zero Day Now The Escape David Baldacci is my favourite author in this genre his spin on military fiction is top notch.

John Puller has just returned from an assignment & is asked to look into a case involving his older brother Robert who escapes from a high security prison there is also an unidentified body found in his cell.

general Daughtrey comes into the search & uncovers that Robert has been giving away secrets to the Russians one by one w
❀Aimee❀ Just one more page...
I don't read a lot of thrillers, so I might not be the best for comparing one author to another. This one was fun for me.

Apparently this is book 3 in the John Puller series, but it was perfect as a standalone. Sometimes when you jump into the middle of a series, you feel like an outsider, or like you're missing something. I was never lost and felt connected and invested in the characters. This book also had the right amount of action for me. Nothing got too graphic, but nothing too dark or tortu
Skip
Jan 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
One of the things that always bothered me about the John Puller series was his brother Robert languishing in a maximum security prison, convicted of espionage. A wicked storm knocks out the power to the prison, the back-up generators fail, and the cell doors unlock instead of locking, allowing Robert to escape, leaving an unidentified dead man in his cell. Miraculously, CID's John Puller is asked to help capture his brother by some senior military officials. He is joined by spy sleuth Veronica K ...more
Matt
Oct 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Baldacci brings his readers another great novel, turning back to John Puller and his thrilling antics. When power goes out at Disciplinary Barracks at Fort Leavenworth, chaos follows. A headcount soon reveals that Robert Puller is nowhere to be found and an unidentified body lays in his bunk. Puller, convicted of treason, is feared on the lam and the military remain baffled as to how he's escaped. Younger brother, John Puller, has been asked by the military to investigate and determine how Rober ...more
Steven Walle
Jul 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Escape is a fast paced intense novle of espionage, suspense and even a little romance. It is a political thriller but much of the book focuses on relationships between brothers and want to be lovers. There are 3 canisters filled with Ebola which the Russians are planning to deploy in the Pentigon which would cause country catastrophy with hundreds of thousands dead. I recommend this read to every one.
Enjoy and Be Blessed.
Diamond
Jane Stewart
Ok if you are in the mood for a police procedural. I did not like the audiobook narrators.

I love the Jack Reacher books by Lee Child. One reviewer said John Puller is a Jack Reacher wannabe. Puller is a 6'4" military police investigator in the army. He’s good at hand to hand fighting plus sniper shooting. His character definition is the same as Reacher but the reading experience is not as fun. I found this to be a typical police procedural. Lots of investigating and talking to people, learning t
Donna
Dec 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime-mystery
I love Balacci's books. I always know I'm in for a great read and this book did NOT disappoint. John Puller is a great character and he has a cat, so that makes him pretty close to perfect.

The best thing about his stories is the depth. He takes his time to set the stage without rushing or using shortcuts. He also sets a fast pace and has plenty of action. I was pulled into this book from the very beginning. There were creative twists that kept me interested. I also liked the introduction to the
Freda Malone
Oct 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
I've always liked and enjoyed David Baldacci novels. The complexity of his mysteries are compelling. My favorite is The Winner.

I like the John Puller novels.
Aidil
Apr 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
4+ stars...but not anywhere near 5.
It was better than Zero Day which is the 1st book in the John Puller series. For me the plots were generally (1) How Robert Puller escaped and (2) Proving the innocence of Robert Puller.
The first plot started out interestingly enough, but after too much dead bodies it started to become somewhat boring. It was only when plot (1) merged into (2) that the pace started to pick up again. Though I do have to admit the "cunningness" of the villain was really frustrat
Terence M
2.5 stars for pretty much an "OK" effort by David Baldacci, but not up to the standard of his first John Puller novel.
I enjoy a lot of Baldacci's books, some are really good, some OK and some are pretty ordinary. He is such a prolific writer I excuse him for writing books I DNF'd because there are so many I thought were worth four stars and subject to check, I may have given him a couple of hard-to-earn fives!
Jon Kurtz
Jun 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Puller cries - end of review.

Just kidding, at least about the "end of review" part.

In the third installment of the Puller series, John Puller’s older brother escapes from the maximum security wing of Fort Leavenworth's military prison. Robert Puller, once a rising star in the Department of Defense and the intelligence community, had been convicted of treason and national security crimes. The break-out makes him the most wanted man in the country.

In an unusual move, shadowy figures within the g
Rod
i just finished the Escape lots of twists and turns It was a page turner and a half i would like to see we might have a sequel or two down the track perhaps it deserves 5 Stars in my Book
If you want a nice three book action thriller set John Puller wont disappoint i do recommend reading them from the start although The escape is a very good stand alone read
Sue
Jun 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: dude-thrillers
Pace was very very slow until the end. It was the middle of the book, and they're discussing solutions as if it were the end already. Strange, and very slow-going. Lost interest, sorry to say.

Too many acronyms; really detracted from the story, unless that's what he was attempting to highlight.
David Highton
I like the Puller books but this one was very slow-moving in the first half and the book was longer than it needed to be. However, the second half moved at pace and came to a good crescendo. I have to say that the plethora of US Intelligence agencies are pretty confusing!
Marleen
Aug 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: david-baldacci
There's no way around it; once you've met John Puller, you can only like him. That's why I enjoyed the first two books in this series. Puller is a military investigator working at the CID. He's a very stand-up guy and meticulous at his job. Here, in The Escape, a new dimension is added to John's story. We get to meet John's older brother, Robert Puller, Bobby, who's a brilliant Air Force intelligence agent, now serving a sentence at DB, in Leavenworth for treason. John was on assignment overseas ...more
Villivonkansbooks
Jan 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
John Pullers äldre bror Robert är dömd för landsförräderi och sitter på ett fängelse, ett fängelse som har ett säkerhetssystem utöver vanliga. Ingen har lyckats rymt, förrän nu. Roberts oförklarliga rymning, har gjort honom till landets mest eftersökta brottsling.
Landsförrädaren är den tredje delen i serien om FBI:s utredare John Puller. Det är den första i serien jag läser, men jag har tidigare läst andra böcker som författaren skrivit. Boken börjar lite trevande och det tar en stund innan jag
Jan
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Filled with intrigue, allegiances, manhunts and totally addictive reading, THE ESCAPE is adrenalin-fueled. Baldacci creates the most believable characters and I love the brothers Puller and John's temporary sidekick, Knox. The military, the intelligence community and the Russians all enter into the intense mix when John Puller is charged with finding his brother, Robert, who escaped from a military prison in Leavenworth.
Brenda H
May 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Escape, the third book in the John Puller series by David Baldacci, opens with Puller’s older brother, Robert, escaping from the US Disciplinary Barracks at Fort Leavenworth KS. Robert Puller was a fast rising Major in the Air Force before he was tried and convicted of treason two years previously.

John Puller, a combat veteran and highly regarded investigator for the Army’s Criminal Investigative Division is asked to assist in tracking down and recapturing Bobby. Even knowing that there’s no
ElaineY
REVIEW OF AUDIOBOOK; NOVEMBER 18, 2016
Narrator: Ron McLarty, Orlagh Cassidy

The only reason I decided to listen to this was because I had just bought the latest John Puller installment, No Man's Land (which I'm up to 63% and loving it ) then realized I had not listened to the 2nd and 3rd books. Since I wasn't too impressed with the first one, I decided to just do Book 3 then move on to the latest.

The Escape turned out so good it kept me up the entire night. I usually set a sleep cut-off point on
  • Act of War (Scot Harvath, #13)
  • No Fortunate Son (Pike Logan, #7)
  • The Patriot Threat (Cotton Malone, #10)
  • Radiant Angel (John Corey, #7)
  • Back Blast (Gray Man, #5)
  • Gathering Prey (Lucas Davenport, #25)
  • Independence Day (Dewey Andreas, #5)
  • The Final Cut (A Brit in the FBI, #1)
  • The Heist (Gabriel Allon, #14)
  • Personal (Jack Reacher, #19)
  • Sleight of Hand (Dana Cutler, #4)
  • The Burning Room (Harry Bosch, #17; Harry Bosch Universe, #26)
  • The Survivor (Mitch Rapp, #14)
  • Hostage Zero (Jonathan Grave, #2)
  • The Enemy (Victor the Assassin #2)
  • The Disciple (Tommy Carmellini #4)
David Baldacci has been writing since childhood, when his mother gave him a lined notebook in which to write down his stories. (Much later, when David thanked her for being the spark that ignited his writing career, she revealed that she’d given him the notebook to keep him quiet, because “every mom needs a break now and then.”) He published his first novel, Absolute Power, in 1996; one year later ...more
More about David Baldacci

John Puller (4 books)
  • Zero Day (John Puller, #1)
  • The Forgotten (John Puller, #2)
  • No Man's Land (John Puller, #4)
“In fact, something always leads to something else.” 2 likes