Start by marking “The Beautiful Ones (Prequel)” as Want to Read:
The Beautiful Ones (Prequel)

The Beautiful Ones

(The Beautiful Ones 0.5)

Some say we’re special, and that’s why we’re kept in seclusion. Beyond those walls evil lurks and innocent prey would be lost in minutes. Gone. Destroyed. Forgotten.
Published February 9th 2014 by Lori Brighton (first published February 8th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Beautiful Ones, please sign up.
Crysta Hodges There are 3 books in the series right now. Book 2 is called the chosen ones. Book 3 the forsaken ones just came out recently…moreThere are 3 books in the series right now. Book 2 is called the chosen ones. Book 3 the forsaken ones just came out recently (less)

Start your review of The Beautiful Ones (Prequel)
Deborah

This is a short (67 page) free teaser (prequel).

Children and young adults are kept in seclusion, locked away from the rest of the world in communes.

'They were coming today. I knew this as a fact.
Rain, snow, wind, sun, every fourth Sunday of the month they came for us. The beautiful ones, as they’d been dubbed long before I had been born, would sweep into our fenced home and pick two, sometimes three of us. No one knew whom they would choose, or why, but most prayed it would be them.'

They want
Hollie
For a 67 pages book I was impressed. There wasn't much time for much depth or character development but it was enough to leave me wanting more. I also like how it was offered as a freebie. Ill check out the next book. It's definitely peaked my interest.
The BookWhisperer
Apr 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: series
The Beautiful Ones really sets the stage for this new series. If the quality of this prequel is any indication as to what is to come I am anxious to continue with the series. The world that this built up in this debut was one of extensive detail and creativity. The mystery of this world was closely concealed until the very end of the short story. At first glance the reader is just as mistified about the unfamiliar objects of this world. As the character studies each item in depth it is ...more
She Books
Apr 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite
This was a great prequel to what is now going to be in my top anticipated books of this spring! I love the different aspects of this story and I love having a look into how the characters live. The mystery of what was really going on bordered just on the edge of grasping until the very end. Now I can't wait for the chosen ones to be released so I can dive more into the story. Best of all this novella was FREE!!! I recommend picking this up before the chosen ones comes out. Its a quick read and ...more
Jane
Jul 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m really surprised with such a low rating and the bad reviews. I liked this book, and I was sad that it ended too soon. Well, I guess I’ll just read the next one in the series.

The book starts with the compound where some of the nation live, constantly waiting for the Beautiful ones to come, choose some of the people and take with them. To where? The people have no idea – they’ve never been anywhere outside the compound. I enjoyed this mystery. What is out there? For what reasons do the
Jenna Loesch
For a prequel, this was way too long. I feel it either should have been shortened or put at the beginning of the first book. I do, however, understand why it's necessary to the plot. It's just too freaking long. As far as the prequel--or rather novella--itself, I feel that the writing was stronger than in Brighton's Mind Readers. I have a sinking suspicion, though, that Thanatos is going to become the love interest in Chosen Ones and I am just very against that. He may be smoking hot, but that's ...more
Duane
Yes, another vampire story. But vampire stories have been around a long time and will continue long into the future. What distinguishes any given story is it's uniqueness, it's originality. The "devil is in the details" so to speak. From what I can tell in this prequel novella, Brighton has done a devilish good job of setting the stage for this series. Lori Brighton is a damn good writer, so if you like dystopian/vampire stories you will like this one. It's also free, hard to beat that.
Chloey Jones
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I highly recommend this series.

Okay. So, I was absolutely satisfied with the hook. You know, the beginning of the story. It was once I delved more into that I started questioning whether it was too... Predictable or not. Jane has common sense in the book, apparently, while the other ones do not. That's not the problem. The problem is that I think that the author implies a little too much that something bad is going to happen. Besides that, this book is a great start to an original, and amazing
GypsyLace
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this several years ago. It is very well written.
I appreciated the mystery of the story. It is heartbreaking, disturbing, and completely addictive. This is just the beginning of a great series. Enjoy!
Mehsi
I am still not sure what to think of this, it was mostly quite confusing. What happened to the world? Why are there vampires (or blood-sucking creatures), why are people in compounds, why? Why?
The book also reminded me quite a lot of The Farm by Emily Mckay (the compounds/feeding/escaping part) and of the blurb of A Shade of Vampire (the whole females (but in this one also males) who get selected/taken away from everyone to be eaten). Which is a bit of a shame. :(

Other than that, Jane was a
Grace
Dec 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: awesome, kindle
THIS WAS SO GOOD. I honestly had no clue what was going to happen and I loved how the beginning slowly shifted into a creepier feeling. I don't want to say a lot because I really wouldn't want to spoil a thing for anyway. Finding out what was happening alongside the main character was what made it such a fun read. It didn't even feel like a novella, it felt like a full-fleshed book and I can't wait to read the next one.

Jane was an easy character to like and root for and I genuinely cared what
Amie
Mar 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014-reads, dystopian
While I am annoyed at how many unanswered questions Lori Brighton left in this prequel, she did her job in ensuring that at least some of The Beautiful Ones readers will be reading the rest of this series to find out what happens and why the world is the way it is.

When I found out it was vampires, I was a bit disappointed because there are really only so many ways a vampire story can go. But what is strange though, before I realized this was a vampire story I was picturing Thanatos as Jamie
Leah Reise
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brighton had me at the Mind Readers Series, so I'm already bias, but I truly enjoyed the world she created in The Chosen Ones Series so far. I really like Jane. Her character is honest and fresh. It's easy to feel like you are part of the story, experiencing this strange broken world with her. Brighton's poetic and descriptive writing lets you imagine an apocalyptic-like world with past human wars and the chaos that came from its rubble. I can't wait to continue the journey with The Chosen Ones.
Stephanie
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ibooks
“Your words are too big, too strange. It’s those damn books.”

This was pretty standard as far as prequels go, but it wasn’t unique or compelling enough to make me want to read the series. We spent the majority of the time running or being pushed around, without the main character’s questions being answered.
A. Powers
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wish I could have recorded my own face to see the reactions as I read this book. It would mostly just be a series of shocked and wide-eyed emojis for the most part. With one annoyed face because vampires had to come along; I hate vampires. But then I still kept reading and continued with the shocked-face emojis. So, yeah, I guess I liked it.
Phoenix Black
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting

Creepy cult, check.
Teenaged girl trying to figure out what is happening, check
Upper class people abusing power, check
All in all an interesting short story to a young adult novel I now need to read.
Mignon Supnet
May 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Makes me want to read the next book

Nice prequel. It definitely does its job and makes me want to read the next book. On to the Chosen Ones.

What happened to Thanatos? I need to find out.
Riley Ashby
GAAAAH I AM SO READY FOR THIS SERIES
Tiera McMillian
I have no idea what’s going on, but I’m hooked! So many questions left unanswered!
Kristie
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mesmerizing

I read the mind read series and loved them so I have now started the chosen series. Love being taken into another world.
Dawn Cavenee
52 people in her ‘settlement’ and every Sunday the Beautiful ones come to take 1-2 people away. Yes these people reproduce, but at this rate of 1-2 each week, the camp would be empty in less than a year. Most of the story didn’t work for me. It had a good foundation, but there was no building up of the story to even make sense. I realize this is a prequel, but I want nothing to do with this series.
Christina A. Marley
Mar 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Overall I did enjoy this novella, but in all honesty I found myself rolling my eyes a lot. Mostly because it was yet another dystopian novel that seems to be popping up everywhere, but that didn’t impair my judgement. There are really no original ideas but what makes a novel stand out from the rest is how it’s presented really. Lori Brighton really did a good job with this book here. A bit too much imagery in the beginning for me but it didn’t bring the book down. I was actually grateful for it ...more
R.A. White
Oct 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
'The beautiful Ones' (The Chosen Ones), by Lori Brighton
This was just a prequel to the series, which I now will have to read someday, but it was a good read all on its own. The foreshadowing was strong enough throughout that I can't say I was surprised by anything, but somehow that didn't take away the creepiness factor. Like in movies when I know something is about to grab the hero, and I jump even worse than if I'd been surprised. I get made fun of for that, but I don't care. It's the suspense
Julianna
Jul 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Perhaps some spoilers:
While there wasn't much new here, after getting past the questions of "why a compound?" And the still to be answered "who was leaving the books", I'd figured out early in that we were dealing with vampires. It seems that the new norm in the YA vampire world is that the female protagonist just loves the smell of those vampires. We also have the possible canine protectors in the woods, the paleness, and the ok to be out in the day just west a hood (or a ring, or have a
Zoe
May 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a prequel to the young adult series The Chosen Ones. It's pretty short but it made me want to read on in the series.

I won't describe the plot too much because I think it's best to read this prequel without knowing anything. The main character Jane doesn't know what is going on either and because this is a prequel it was really fast paced. Because of this, I was hooked after reading half of the first page and couldn't stop reading after that.

Jane is the only one in her small town who
Michelle
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-books
I picked this up because I read the blurb for the chosen ones and was curious. It sounded like a strong protagonist who is fighting back and so I started with this prequel. And in all truthfulness, I can't totally fault this book because a large part of my dissapointment isn't because it wasn't good, but simply that it was so much like a dozen other books I've already read. I'm tired of vampires, I'm tired of the future always leading to compounds and breeding programs. I just kept thinking, oh, ...more
Halston Seabolt
Jul 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
First of all, I found this novella on my Nook for free! Secondly,I know a lot of people when they start to read this are probably like "here we go again another dystopian themed series." and while that is true of this book, it doesn't make it any less intriguing. This prequel is only 66 pages, but I could not stop reading it! I devoured it and I definitely want more! I want to know what happens to Jane and the people who live in the ruins of a destroyed city, who find her. Who is Thanatos and ...more
Rosalie <Downtharabbithole>
“To the others those trees in the distance were a way to note the passing of time. To me they were magic. To the others the world out there was something to fear. To me it represented hope.”

Growing up in a gated compound where the boys tend the gardens and the girls tend the nurseries, Jane has always longed for a life outside the gates. Every week ‘The Beautiful Ones’ come and choose who they want to take away with them. It is an honor to be chosen by them. When Jane is chosen by ‘The Beautiful
Others say the opposite: we’re locked away because there’s something wrong with us. If we roamed the outside world, we might taint the beautiful ones. A species so pure, that to merely be in their presence is a gift. As for my beliefs…I’m not sure.
But I do know one thing: neither of those reasons explains why it is that they come
Kaitlyn
Sep 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Grrr, this book has a cliff hanger that leaves me wanting more, but then again, it is a prequel.

The book is different from most of my normal reads. The plot and the way the story was written kept my interested the whole way through. Some parts felt like they were slower at first, but it certainly picked up.

The beautiful ones seem worthless and enjoying their style of life. Those, similar to the chosen ones, are locked away behind walls that "protect" them and imprison them.

There were so many
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Institute (The Institute, #1)
  • Banded (Banded, #1)
  • UnEnchanted (An Unfortunate Fairy Tale, #1)
  • Spiked (The Sundance #1)
  • The Soulkeepers (The Soulkeepers, #1)
  • Wolf's Bane (Moon Marked, #1)
  • Free From the Tracks
  • Shiftless (Wolf Rampant, #1)
  • Bizarre True Stories: 10 Mysterious Accounts Of True Paranormal Hauntings, Vanishing People, Creepy Unexplained Phenomena And The Unknown (True Ghost Stories And Hauntings, True Paranormal Hauntings)
  • Kellie's Diary #2
  • Before You Sleep
  • Kellie's Diary #3
  • Haunted (The Sparkly Badgers' Anthology)
  • Kellie's Diary #1
  • Turned (The Vampire Journals, #1)
  • Twisted all to Hell
  • Handbook for the Criminally Insane
  • Evangeline
As a child, thoughts of far-off places and adventure consistently kept Lori up late at night. After graduating high school, she came to the conclusion that there was no better way to seek adventure and nourish her love of history than to become an archaeologist. She went on to receive a degree in anthropology, but digging in the dirt during humid Midwestern summers wasn’t exactly as fun as she ...more

The Beautiful Ones (3 books)
  • The Chosen Ones (The Beautiful Ones)
  • The Forsaken Ones