Start by marking “Sacrifice (Elemental, #5)” as Want to Read:
Sacrifice (Elemental, #5)

Sacrifice

(Elemental #5)

Earth. Fire. Air. Water.

One misstep and they lose it all. For the last time.

Michael Merrick understands pressure. He's the only parent his three brothers have had for years. His power to control Earth could kill someone if he miscalculates. Now an Elemental Guide has it in for his family, and he's all that stands in the way.

His girlfriend, Hannah, understands pressure too.
Paperback, AUS/NZ, 267 pages
Published September 24th 2014 by Allen & Unwin

To ask other readers questions about Sacrifice, please sign up.
joe Poor series has gone down hill from the start with this last installment being silly.I finished the book but could not bear to read the shorts at the…morePoor series has gone down hill from the start with this last installment being silly.I finished the book but could not bear to read the shorts at the end.....Ho Hum and on to other things in life.(less)
Rod Brown Good catch on finding the two covers with the same image.

Good catch on finding the two covers with the same image.

Yeah, there are tons of photo libraries from which one can purchase images. Here's the result on Shutterstock I did for "intense eyes man":

Of course there is also the possibility one designer simply swiped the image from another illegally or recycled their own previous work for a new commision.(less)

Brigid
Jul 22, 2013 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
IT'S UP ON NETGALLEY, REVIEWER FRIENDS!!
Kath S
Apr 18, 2013 marked it as wishlist  ·  review of another edition
Reading about Michael in Elemental:

Reading in Storm what happened after Elemental:

Reading about Michael in Spark:

description

Update

Michael in Spirit:

Michael in Secret:

Here he's so mature AND perfect!! I really love him. *fangirl moment*

Now...

Michael Merrick's story

description

...expected July 2014 September (Why??? Why?!!!)

Jo ★The Book Sloth★
3.5 Not Quite There Stars

Arc provided via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

If I rated this book right now I would reduce 1 star for Hannah and 2 stars for the ending but that wouldn't do the book justice, so I'll try rating it as a whole.

Michael ★★★★★★★

Brigid Kemmerer did wonders with Michael's character. As a 23-year-old who had to step up and raise his 3 brothers at 17 when their parents died, Michael is no stranger to caring the weight of the world on his shoulders. What happens
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
I'm a huge fan of the Elemental series, so much so that I beg everyone I know to read it. This series has not one but TWO books that made it onto my exclusive favorites list (the amazing Spark and Secret). But this book? Gah! So much wasted potential.

Michael Merrick has been a favorite of mine for ages. He has the weight of the world on his shoulders. Between caring for his brothers financially and emotionally, and watching out for threats, this poor man can barely sit down, much less catch a b
Carol [Goodreads Addict]
 photo bk_zpsae967ddb.jpg

Sacrifice is book five in the Elemental series by Brigid Kemmerer. I am still reeling from this book. It is non-stop from start to finish. So buckle your seat belts boys and girls, you’re in for a wild ride.

photo tumblr_mvv44saQLz1sjoq1co1_500_zps3656da6e.jpg

Michael has always been my favorite Merrick brother. Right from the first novella, Elemental, when he was introduced. He is rock solid. His sense of responsibility to be there for his brothers, to take care of them, at the ripe old age of 23 is astounding. But Michael has so much more to de
Wendy Darling
3.5 stars I've always had a soft spot for Michael, but it's so cool to see his powers at work, too. I wish we'd seen something more interesting happen with his love interest as well as with the Merrick boys in general to give this series a proper sendoff, but still--these are such fun books and I've thoroughly enjoyed reading them.

Full review: http://www.themidnightgarden.net/2014...

Real, no kidding spoiler: (view spoiler)
Ash Wednesday
3.5 STARS

I really should learn to flip ahead to the end of the galley so I wouldn't feel the ending's abrupt when bonus novellas turn up at the 65% mark. That being said...

I liked the tension in Michael's character: the sense of a young man made old too soon, pushed to breaking point. But then that's what those who stuck around this series to the end (to clarify, this is the last book in the series to be published under K-Teen) appreciated most about Michael Merrick to begin with. I've been re
Melanie
See more reviews at YA Midnight Reads

I've been thinking about Sacrifice for a while now, and I honestly don't know how to write down in words how disappointed I am with the finale for Kemmerer's Elementals series. This was also the most anticipated addition to the series for me, because I've always wanted to read Michael's POV. I really only have one question to ask: what happened here?

Sacrifice is Michael's story, and like all its predecessors, it was told in dual POV. As expected, the other pe
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
It’s a sad, sad day when I have to even consider the possibility that I care about the characters more than the author does. I could be wrong, of course, but I found Sacrifice to be far below the standard of this series, almost as if Brigid Kemmerer lost interest and gave up. It pains me to say this about a series (and author) I love dearly, but Sacrifice was simply not what it should have been.

Michael has always been my favorite Merrick, perhaps because he’s a bit older, perhaps because of his
Stephanie (Bookfever)
They always thought he had the answers. He almost never did, but he was pretty good at faking it.

Sacrifice is the very last Elemental book and it finally features Michael otherwise known as my favorite Merrick boy. I'm so glad that I was right to have high expectations for this book (and Michael) because this book rocked. It's my favorite out of all five.

So Michael is amazing, okay? He really is. I love his brothers but I've always had a thing for Michael from the start. He's a fantastic chara
Annaiss
Mar 27, 2013 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
My reaction after reading the title for Michael's story:

Now this is me:
Amber (Books of Amber)
This review was originally posted on Books of Amber

Michael is my favourite of the Merrick brothers, so you can probably imagine my intense excitement when I discovered that he was getting his own book. I was flailing about all over the place, especially since his book was to be the last in the series and that is usually a bad sign because everyone dies in series finales. Unfortunately – can you see where this is going? – all of my waiting and fangirling didn’t pay off, because Sacrifice is not t
Anna (Bobs Her Hair)
3 stars…Hopefully, this isn’t the end.

Michael Merrick has to grow up too fast . The loss of his parents, the financial responsibility, the danger – all elements placing his brothers on shaky ground compounded by the need to hide from the organization threatening to exterminate the Merrick brothers.

Pure Elementals are not allowed to live past their teens, when their powers manifest. Each Merrick brother possesses power over earth, air, fire, and water, making them even more of a threat to the El
Carolina Carriço
Sep 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Edit #2

Don't me why I haven't read this sooner, because I have no answer. I loved this book nearly as much as I expected. And all this time between the release of Secret and the the day I picked this book was just too much without Merricks in my life. I love all of them. I loved getting to know Tyler better and Hannah and her family.

I really wish we had more family moments. We saw so little of the brothers apart from Michael of course. For a final book I feel like it wasn't enough. We barely s
Stacia (the 2010 club)
Feb 10, 2014 marked it as return-to-later  ·  review of another edition
This new version of Michael - verrah nice. This might be the first cover from the series that I love with no complaints. I'm happy that Michael is getting his day. So, so happy. :)

Ari
[My] "heart tripped and stumbled and raced to catch up."
That's exactly how I felt about this story. Absolutely beautiful!!!

Though my favourite books in the series remain "Spark" and "Spirit", this one is pretty close, after all it shares the same rating. And the truth is that I loved it.

It felt like a roller coaster with Michael's struggle, the perfected guide attacks, the beautifully created turnarounds, the horror his family has been true (I could barely see the end of their torment, really),
Alyssa

Publication Date: September 30, 2014
Rating: 4 stars
Source: eARC from NetGalley

Summary (from Goodreads):

Michael Merrick is used to pressure.

He’s the only parent his three brothers have had for years. His power to control Earth could kill someone if he miscalculates. Now an Elemental Guide has it out for his family, and he’s all that stands in the way.

His girlfriend, Hannah
Lia Park
Also reviewed in Bookland@wordpress.

What a book! Sacrifice is not just a title for the book but the whole point of the book. All people make sacrifices but some are big and some small. Michael and his brother made sacrifices. Hunter, Hannah, Tyler, they all made their own sacrifices in this book and that's what humanity is.

"Adam told me that it was ok to let other people take care of me. The problem is that I've forgotten how"

When Michael's parents died, left him in charge of his three young
elena
3.5

Something bad happened to one my faves and i'll never be over it! Also it definitely didn't feel like the end so i'm hoping the sixth book, that is on hold, will actually happen!
Fani *loves angst*

Sacrifice was my most anticipated book for the second half of 2014 and it was a huge relief to find that I was not let down in the end.

Sacrifice is Michael's story, the eldest of the Merrick brothers though he's only 23. Having had to raise his brothers for the past 5 years, Michael is steady, logical, dependable, the rock where eventually all the other Merricks lean on. But with the pressure of the Guides' looming over him, even Michael starts to crack.

What follows is a story full of
Gisbelle
My thanks to Kensington Teen and NetGalley

Actual Rating: 3.5

Point of View: Dual (Michael & Hannah)
Writing: Third Person | Past Tense
Setting: Maryland
Genre: Young Adult | Urban Fantasy

A heart-pounding and emotional conclusion to a great series. However, I was hoping for a more conclusive ending. I was a little surprised when it just ended right there a little unexpectedly. It turned out the last 100 pages plus were the previous three novellas that I had already read.

Among all the boys in th
A Book Vacation
Aug 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To see my full review:

Kemmerer’s Elemental series has been my guilty pleasure for a few years now. And with this novel, Kemmerer has technically closed the story with this final chapter of the Merrick brothers, giving readers Michael’s story as it all comes to a head. And yet… I’m not certain it’s really over.

Let me explain. Kemmerer has always woven a tale that pulls readers in from the get go. Sacrifice is no different. By this point in the series, the M
Jenn
Four "Love the Merrick brothers" Stars

Love the elemental series!

First just let me say if you enjoy paranormal books, then you have to try this YA series!

Just stop, drop, and roll on over to book 1 in the series, Strom (my review here). You will not be disappointed.

Michael has always looked out for those around him. When this includes his own younger brothers, Hunter, his girlfriend Hanna and her little boy, Michael feels overwhelmed. This is because he is not just trying to help them from day
nick
Mar 08, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc

I have been waiting impatiently for Michael Merrick's book ever since I read the first book. This is a series I cherish despite having had some down moments with it (I'm looking at you Hunter). My expectations for Sacrifice were sky-high, not only because this was Michael's book, but also because this was the series finale. Writing this review is kind of painful because Sacrifice was disappointing in many ways.

As always, for me, Michael continued to shine as a character. He has always had such a
Wendy F
Jan 10, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Wow..... I do not know how I feel about this! I did not expect that! Once again, Kemmerer has shocked me!

Let’s pause for just a moment to admire the cover model’s blue eyes… simply gorgeous. Soooo much better than the covers of the previous books.

Now that that’s out of the way:

I discovered the Elemental series 2 years ago through my friends here on Goodreads and was completely bowled over by the level of adrenaline and excitement I felt when reading this series. Reading them reminded me of books
Liviania
Oct 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
SACRIFICE is the fifth and final book in the Elemental series. The Merrick brothers - Michael, Gabriel, Nick, and Chris - have fought off several guides and proved to some former enemies that they aren't a danger. They're building a pretty good life with their significant others and Hunter, the former Guide-in-training who moved in. But an enemy is closing in, and their methods are deadly to bystanders. Michael is determined to stop whoever it is, alone, without risking his brothers.

Michael is t
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Kensington Books and NetGalley.)

This was an interesting end to the series, and it was good to see things from Michael’s point of view.

Michael was stressed in this book. He was constantly on edge, constantly feeling like he was being hunted, and fighting a losing battle to keep his brother’s safe. Things just seemed to go from bad to worse, and it seemed like the odds were really stacked against him. I f
Kami Dodson-Perry
Michael has taken care of his brothers since his parents died, since he was 18. He has been their legal guardian and he has kept them as safe as possible. Which is hard when everyone is after you.

Someone is setting fires and trying to kill the brothers. Michael has to figure out who it is and stop them. Hannah wants to know what is going on. What are these secrets Michael keeps from her.

Michael deserves happiness but he cannot afford it. It could cost them lives, namely Hannah’s.

In this install
Leah
Reviewing Sacrifice isn't easy for me. I had such high expectations and Brigid Kemmerer totally let me down. Everything the previous novels had been working up to - the entire point of the series - wasn't even mentioned in this book and half the characters didn't even appear. The fate of one of the character's came out on nowhere and didn't get a reaction from anyone. Really, Brigid? I expected more from Sacrifice, I expected more from you. You're so much better than this novel and I'm disappoin ...more
Nina
First off, this novel ends at 65%. The rest is made up of the three novellas in the series, which I'd already read. Can we not trick people into thinking a book is longer than it actually is, please?

I have one main problem with this novel, and it reflects on various aspects of the story: it's all so fucking rushed.
Yes, we were all waiting impatiently for the last instalment of this series, because we love it. But if the price to pay for getting it sooner is having to read a underdeveloped hot me

• Apartment 255
  • Tensy Farlow and the Home for Mislaid Children
  • Kill the Possum
  • The Whisperer
  • The Warrior (Dante Walker, #3)
  • Halo
  • Pieces of my Heart
  • The Puzzle Ring
  • Untitled (Denazen, #5)
  • A Rose for the ANZAC Boys
  • The Wizard of Rondo (Rondo, #2)
  • Petals in the Ashes (Sign of the Sugared Plum, #2)
  • The Seers (Holders #2)
  • The Silver Donkey
  • Chasers (Alone, #1)
  • The Dark World (Dark World, #1)
  • Tabula Rasa (Tabula Rasa, #1)
  • Creators (The Lost Souls, #3)
Brigid Kemmerer is the author of dark, contemporary Young Adult romances like MORE THAN WE CAN TELL and LETTERS TO THE LOST (Bloomsbury), as well as paranormal YA novels like THE ELEMENTAL SERIES and THICKER THAN WATER (Kensington). Her next book will be her first foray into YA Fantasy, with A CURSE SO DARK AND LONELY, available January 2019 wherever books are sold. Brigid lives in the Baltimore a ...more

Elemental (5 books)
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
  • Spark (Elemental, #2)
  • Spirit (Elemental, #3)
  • Secret (Elemental, #4)
“I'm not waiting for you to fuck up." Adam paused. "Just because you can't trust everyone doesn't mean you can't trust anyone.” 9 likes
“Tonight, he'd looked broken. She'd been afraid to touch him, as if one brush of skin would send him shattering into a million pieces. But then she had, and he'd clung to her as if he'd been afraid to let go. Some people might see it as weakness, but she didn't. She knew how it felt to have life yank the rug out from under you. She knew what it meant to need someone to hold you, to share the weight of the world for a minute. For a second. She would have held him all night. And then her father had shown up to act like Detective Dickhead. As usual.” 7 likes