Start by marking “Yes Please” as Want to Read:

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  366,222 ratings  ·  23,581 reviews
IN A PERFECT WORLD...

We’d get to hang out with Amy Poehler, watching dumb movies, listening to music, and swapping tales about our coworkers and difficult childhoods. Because in a perfect world, we’d all be friends with Amy — someone who seems so fun, is full of interesting stories, tells great jokes, and offers plenty of advice and wisdom (the useful kind, not the annoyin
Published October 28th 2014 by HarperCollins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Yes Please, please sign up.
patty As someone down thread commented, she is very frank. There wasn't anything I felt she gratuitously wrote about. The chapter about drugs very clearly…moreAs someone down thread commented, she is very frank. There wasn't anything I felt she gratuitously wrote about. The chapter about drugs very clearly is titled that. It is about 4 pages long. A list of has and has not taken of sorts.

There is a little written about sex. And with the layout of the book everything is clearly labeled in LARGE font. Which meant for me to read it with the book facing a wall so my 8 year old doesn't read over my shoulder as he sits down next to me! What stood out to me the most LOVE/SEX in the book was when she wrote about going into labor. It was something like, "Will and I were so in love. Is a couple ever more in love then when you are just about to have a baby?" That struck me as something so beautiful, something so real and so poignant. She lays her heart right out there where it matters not tawdry or cheaply with a list of guys she banged and there penis sizes or whatever.

The only thing I will say I noticed, not because I was offended or anything but just because I didn't want my son to walk by, read, and go, "Hey mom, why are you reading a book with the work f*** in it, that's inappropriate!" (I can actually here his voice in my head as I'm typing this hahaha!!!) There are some pages where it says f*** multiple times in bold print across both pages.

If language bothers you then you probably won't be happy with this.(less)
Emily Do you learn from other people's life stories and experiences? If so, then yes.

·  366,222 ratings  ·  23,581 reviews

Madeline
Nov 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: essays, memoir
This is not a comedy book.

I mean, it's funny. Amy Poehler can't write a book and not be funny, because she's Amy fuckin' Poehler. But (and this is not the first time I'm going to compare the two memoirs) where Tina Fey's Bossypants contained humorous essays written specifically for the purpose of being funny, Poehler's does not. Everything is presented in a straightforward, matter-of-fact, fashion, and although a lot of the book is very, very funny, it never seems like this was the specific goa
Emily
May 28, 2014 rated it liked it

YES REALLY. I almost gave this two stars, except it includes George Clooney and that would be a crime.

This book is fine. It didn't charm me. It actually took me about three or four days to read 288 pages, which is funny because a lot of those pages don't include any actual words (she's got a ton of photocopies and inspirational signs intermixed with the text). It just wasn't as fun to read as I anticipated.

The problem is that she spends most of the book talking about how hard it is to write a
Jason
It breaks my heart to give this book one star.

I love Amy Poehler. In fact I love every member of that early two-thousands (the decade, not the century) female Saturday Night Live cast ensemble: Poehler, Fey, Rudolph, Dratch.

ladies of SNL

I often mentally include Kristen Wiig in the mix, too, because she’s fantastic, but she was sort of late to the party, having joined SNL a year before Dratch and Fey left.

But as I was saying, I think highly of Poehler. I enjoy her comedy, her intelligence, her personality ov
Sarah Hyatt
Nov 07, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
No, thank you.

I was supposed to love this book and as I always do when I find myself super disappointed, I looked back through other reviews to see if I was alone. I don't think I am alone, but no one is expressing my disappointment quite how I need it to be expressed, so I get to do that myself this time around.

I just kept waiting... and waiting... and waiting. The moment it was going to get good and awesome had to be right around the corner! Soon I would get past all the filler and all the flu
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
May 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Commercial Photography

Good Christ – just obtaining a library copy of this f*&^%$g book was like going on an adventure. After my third trek down to the local bibliotheca, I finally had success.

Commercial Photography

Look at the happy!

You’re probably asking yourself “if she’s such a Poehler fangirl, why didn’t she just go to the B&N and grab herself a copy????” Well, you see … I am cheap.

Yes Please also wasn’t getting real stellar ratings and reviews so I decided to err o
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
This was pretty good! 😄

I have the paperback but I listened to it on audio. She read the book herself and I love that. You get all of the true feelings when they read their own work.

I loved looking at all of the pictures in the book as well. My copy is a small paperback and it has those soft glossy pages that you love to snif. 😄 And all bookaholics know what I mean. I actually sat down my phone to sniff the book again while reviewing. 😂

The book is set up in different sections as well. I have to
Catriona (LittleBookOwl)
Inspired me to continue on watching Parks & Rec!
Very much enjoyed this, and I loved how Amy brought in others to help voice some sections of the book.
Lindsey Rey
Nov 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, funny
HIGHLY HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE AUDIOBOOK! Amy Poehler is so genuine and awesome! On the audiobook she has special guests, a live audience for the final chapter, lots of random conversation, and all sorts of extra awesomness! LOVED THIS! :D
Felicia
Aug 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whelp, look for a flood of reviews coming in, cleaning out my bedroom/office before I go on the road for book tour! That also includes a lot of autobiographies I read as research/pleasure in the last year, preparing and writing my book that I need to add to Goodreads.

I had to cut myself off from reading books in this category, actually, because I started getting intimidated and comparing my structure/writing to other peoples' autobiography structure/writing which only served to paralyze me and m
Darth J
May 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, non-fiction

[As Will Ferrell impersonating James Lipton:] "Amy, we remember seeing you in various things before you joined SNL in 2001. I'm sure this evoked the same feeling for our audience as most 90’s kids felt when Kenan joined the cast, though we were saddened to learn that he divorced Kel due to Kel’s orange soda addiction.
You starred in such classics as Wet Hot American Summer, Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigalow, and Citizen Kane. From the Upright Citizens Brigade to The Office Spinoff, your career has alw
Raeleen Lemay
Aug 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
AMY IS INCREDIBLE. She is hilarious and down-to-earth and isn't afraid to admit her faults. I really enjoy her and I enjoyed this book.
Nat
Jan 19, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up after having listened to Seriously... I'm Kidding on audio and feeling in the mood for something similar to cheer me up while having that damned cold. Also known as: part-two-of-feeling-terrible-and-wanting-an-audiobook-to-cheer-me-up-when-I-don’t-have-the-energy-to-read-actual-words.

I don’t why it took me so long to realize that listening to memoirs on audio is a genius move. It made me rethink a lot past choices of reading the book instead of listening to it…
I feel like if I’
Jessica Jeffers
May 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: biography-memoir
A book by Amy Poehler? Yes, please.

This was a little underwhelming, if I am totally honest. It had some funny moments, but didn't quite have the insight I was hoping for. I didn't walk away feeling like I had learned anything new about Amy Poehler, because she chose not to focus on stories of her background or comedy career so much as ditties on loving your flaws and the categories of books on divorce. That's fine, but left me kind of disappointed as I was more interested in learning more about
Maureen
Dec 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After having this on my shelf for like two years I finally got around to it and it was great! I just love Amy Poehler so much guys.
I listened to the audiobook as recommended by most people (while flipping though the physical book for occasional pictures) and MAN would I say if you at all can access the audiobook, listen to that! Not only are there special guest speakers, but some parts have actual audio from the things she is talking about (like scenes from parks & rec)
Amy just seems like a
Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)
4 Stars

"It takes years as a woman to unlearn what you have been taught to be sorry for. It takes years to find your voice and seize your real estate."

I don't watch a lot of TV.

Now before you roll your eyes, I'm not trying to earn hipster cred here before waxing poetic about the wonders of the written word... I'm just busy. And at one point my Netflix subscription lapsed and it was a month before I noticed.

So yeah, I don't watch a lot of TV. But, I do own all the 'Parks and Recreation' box
Whitney Atkinson
4.5 Stars

I listened to this on audiobook, as I now will choose to do when reading memoirs or autobiographies, and this was a VERY enjoyable experience. The audiobook I got from my library is narrated by Amy, and it was such a joy to listen to her deliver these jokes and discuss her life. This was very lighthearted and informational while also delivering a lot of advice, which I thought balanced out nicely. It didn’t read like a book that she wrote just because she knew it would sell— you could t
lp
Oct 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
Disappointing! Poehler complains about how hard it is to write a book many times, which is annoying, but I can't see how it would be hard to write a bad book. It's so obvious she was forced to do this, it's written from a bad place and I felt that bad place the whole time I was reading it. Poehler basically links lazy (she frequently says "I'll tell you about that later" which means she doesn't know how to tell a story) and shallow ("I don't remember anything about SNL so I'm not going to write ...more
Carmen
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Once a woman turns 40 she has to start dealing with two things: younger men telling her they are proud of her and older men letting her know they would have sex with her. Both of these things are supposed to be compliments but can often end up making this particular woman angry. I don't think a man who is 15 years younger than me should tell me he is proud of me unless he is my sober coach or my time-travel dad. Older men can be sexy and powerful, but when a thrice-divorced entertainment attorne ...more
Fabian
Apr 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet read! True metaphors for the fame-inclined abound, & the author (as early as page four) becomes one of the best friends you never had! Poehler does three things at once-- she gives you insight into her personal life... the Wikipedia stuff and then some; she becomes retrospective about it, comes from a place where she can pinpoint exact successes & failures in her rad career; AND she entertains you throughout like only a true performer can.

She professes: "The talking about the thing
Barry Pierce
Another fun read from the subgenre I like to call, "Memoirs written by women who worked on SNL". It's overall a fun and humourous read. It may have needed some editing and could have lost a couple chapters but as a whole it's a memorable memoir. It's fun and that's all it needed to be.
Miranda Reads
People are their most beautiful when they are laughing, crying, dancing, playing, telling the truth, and being chased in a fun way.

Oh Amy, you are truly beautiful.

I just adore her on Parks and Rec - there's just a certain something about such a positive, upbeat comedy that completely draws me in. This book had a similar feel to it. The tone is so down-to-earth that I felt like more we were having a chat over coffee rather than I was reading her book.

She drops these pearls of wisdom with such
Jess | thegreeneyedreader
4/5 stars - I thoroughly enjoyed this memoir. I didn’t know very much about Amy Poehler prior to reading this book, but I recently became hooked on Parks and Rec and wanted to learn more about the person behind my beloved character, Leslie Knope. I am so glad I did! This book is full of humor, lists, jokes, and even commentary from some special guests. The audiobook was nice because it allowed the listener to hear the various celebrities read their specific parts (including Seth Myers).

My only c
Diane
I am probably not the only one who has a girl crush on Amy Poehler. She's funny, she's smart, she's sassy and she does good work.

But I hope my future best friend will forgive me when I say her book is less than great. "Yes Please" is a fun little memoir about Amy's childhood, how she got her start in comedy, and some good behind-the-scenes stories, but overall, it's scattered and not very deep. She briefly discusses her marriage and divorce to actor Will Arnett, but the focus is primarily on he
Zoë
Jan 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I LOVE Amy Poehler. This book just highlighted my favorite parts about her and also showed me some of her faults, which she owned up to. She just seems like such a genuine and down to earth person and I love it.
I also highly recommend the audio book! I read the first half with the physical book and then changed to the audio book version and it made the entire experience so much better. Her voice is so soothing and you can tell when she's being sarcastic (it's sometimes hard to tell in the physic
Elyse Walters
Aug 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Not knowing 'at all' what to expect, I listened to the audiobook on my overdrive app
from the library.

I fall asleep too early to watch SNL. I didn't watch the Emmy's. I never heard of
Parks and Recreation. The only movie I saw Amy in was "Baby Mama".
... But I did see The Golden Globes when she and Tina Fey were the hosts.

I had zero expectations about "Yes, Please". I remembered a few reviews when the book 1st came out. Many of her fans were disappointed, yet a few people enjoyed it, if my mem
Iris P
Yes Please

I admit that it took me by surprise how much I enjoyed Amy Poehler's Yes Please.
Perhaps because she is an performer and an entertainer, audio was the perfect medium to deliver her funny and heartfelt stories.
Part memoir/part self-help book, this one doesn't stand out for its lyrical or beautiful prose, or even for narrating the life of the most extraordinary performer for that matter. Instead, what I liked the most about it, was Poehler's authenticity and her ability not to take hersel
Riley
Nov 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
AMEN.
Ginger
3.5 Stars!

I ended up doing audio on Yes Please and I thought it was fun and entertaining. I definitely chuckled in a few spots and enjoyed Amy Poehler’s takes on encouraging women to be their authentic selves and her distrust in technology. Girl, I feel the same on technology!

I like Amy Poehler more after listening to this. She’s funny, intelligent and doesn’t apologize for being herself, bossy and a bit brash. I want to be friends with her now!

I loved the 80’s references, her time on Saturday N
Barbara
Jan 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Amy Poehler is an American actress, comedian, and writer. She gained television fame as a cast member on 'Saturday Night Live' and is probably best know for her role as Leslie Knope on the sitcom 'Parks and Recreation.'

Amy Poehler on Saturday Night Live

Amy Poehler starred in the hilarious Parks and Recreation

I listened to the audio version of this memoir, narrated by the author. The audio book also has 'cameos' from a handful of celebrities and dialog with Amy's family, friends, and colleagues
Mariah Roze
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My BIGGEST advice for this book is to listen to the audiobook. She is hilarious! It is definitely worth it.

I have always LOVED Amy Poehler. She is a very strong and funny women that made it far in life. It was a little cautious about reading her book because not all funny people can write good books. That is why it took me so long. However, Amy's book is hilarious! Especially on audiobook. So like I said above, make sure to listen to her audiobook :)

I highly recommend this book!
For Love of a Book: March 2019 BOTM (Memoir) - Yes Please by Amy Poehler 11 47 Apr 10, 2019 11:52PM
Yes Please 2 12 Dec 28, 2018 02:48AM
Yes Please 1 4 Dec 05, 2018 10:28AM
Play Book Tag: Yes Please by Amy Poehler 3 stars 1 13 Sep 02, 2018 11:18AM
Book Review 2 12 Aug 19, 2018 08:45AM

• The Handmaid's Tale
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Where'd You Go, Bernadette
  • The Actor's Life: A Survival Guide
  • Mother. Wife. Sister. Human. Warrior. Falcon. Yardstick. Turban. Cabbage.
  • The Bassoon King: My Life in Art, Faith, and Idiocy
  • I Must Say: My Life as a Humble Comedy Legend
  • Lord of the Flies
  • The Underground Railroad
  • The Clancys of Queens: A Memoir
  • I'm Just a Person
  • Gumption: Relighting the Torch of Freedom with America's Gutsiest Troublemakers
  • March: Book Three (March, #3)
  • A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1)
  • Sounds Like Me: My Life (So Far) in Song
  • My Life as a Goddess: A Memoir through (Un) Popular Culture
  • We Are Never Meeting In Real Life
  • Off the Sidelines: Raise Your Voice, Change the World
Amy Meredith Poehler is an American actress, comedian, voice artist, producer and writer. Raised in Burlington, Massachusetts, she graduated from Boston College in 1993 and moved to Chicago, Illinois, to study improv at The Second City and ImprovOlympic. In 1996, she moved to New York City after becoming part of the improvisational comedy troupe Upright Citizens Brigade, which later developed into ...more
“That is the motto women should constantly repeat over and over again. Good for her! Not for me.” 606 likes
“I think we should stop asking people in their twenties what they “want to do” and start asking them what they don’t want to do.” 487 likes