Start by marking “Project President: Bad Hair and Botox on the Road to the White House” as Want to Read:
Project President: Bad Hair and Botox on the Road to the White House

Project President: Bad Hair and Botox on the Road to the White House

3.42  ·  Rating details ·  101 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Project President is a hilarious romp through American electoral history.

From short, fat, bald John Adams' wig-throwing tantrums during the 1800 election to Abraham Lincoln's decision to grow a beard in 1860; from John F. Kennedy's choice to forgo the fedora at his inauguration to John Kerry's decision to get Botoxed for the 2004 race; from the Golden Age of Facial Hair (1
Published January 15th 2008 by Thomas Nelson (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Project President, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Project President

Beverly Hollandbeck
Feb 05, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
Read the whole title. It's supposed to be humorous and clever. It was neither, just a comparison of campaign styles. But early on, when the author identified Jimmy Carter as the former governor of Alabama, I realized that mistake changed the way I was reading. Now, instead of reading for content, I was looking for errors. No way to read a book unlesss you're a copyeditor/fact checker, which apparently this book didn't have.
Jen
Aug 14, 2008 rated it did not like it
If further editions are released, Shapiro might want to tone down the sexism and homophobia.
Judy
Nov 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
A few amusing stories but really nothing new. I was also disappointed with some of the errors in the book. There are better books on the subject.
Jul 25, 2011 rated it it was ok
I liked this one. Kind of took you through the psyche of the American public as far as how we vote, and it is not usually on just issues. I don't know that it is entirely scientifically sound, but I liked it anyway.
Joneen
This was an interesting read. From the subtitle, I expected it to be a bit more humorous, and short. I expected it to deal literally with the ways candidates would manipulate (for better or worse) their physical appearance. In actuality, Ben spends 7 chapters looking at 7 factors affecting campaigns down through the centuries: everyman/elitism, height, military service, age & experience, friendliness/chumminess, hair, and spousal influence. Physical appearance made up only 2 of these chapter ...more
Carol Tensen
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Ben Shapiro’s Project Presidents provides an entertaining overview of optics in presidential races. Given his editor-at-large post at Breitbart, I was expecting more digs at the Democratic party (and by that I mean, post the WWI Democratic party). When he was discussing Adlai Stevenson’s disasterous two runs he missed an opportunity to bring up the “hole in his shoe” campaign gimmick designed to bring old Adlai down to earth.

In a couple of notable cases, Shapiro did let a couple of Republicans
Astley Siwela
Oct 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Anne Meester
Jan 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, non-fiction
3.5 Stars -This was funny and informative, but dated itself with the analysis of the 2008 presidential hopefuls.
Nina
Feb 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was quite amusing to read in an election year. Voters have been rather shallow all through history. A few choice quotes: "[William Henry] Harrison had been chosen because he had no political convictions whatsoever..." Advice given to the party was, "Let him say not one single word about his principles or his creed -- let him say nothing - promise nothing. Let no committee, no convention -- no town meeting ever extract from him a single word about what he thinks now, or what he will do herea ...more
Amy
Sep 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
Unfortunately, I don't get around to reading much non-fiction these days. Fortunately, however, I found a book that reads as quick as fiction, doesn't require too much thinking, and is funny and interesting to boot! (I hate that that saying by the way...."to boot"...to boot what?) Anyhow, this book talked about how people throughout history have been impacted by a presidential candidate's looks and mannerisms. From Abe Lincoln's beard and top hat to John Kerry's $1000 haircut, this book covers i ...more
Jenifer
Jan 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
A fun and entertaining policital book looking at aspects of a President we NOTICE most, but say we don't account for when casting our votes. A historical read glossing over many of our presidential greats, Shapiro sets out to show that we really do vote for the 'tall guy', the 'beer buddy', the 'rancher', the 'war hero', etc. That isn't to say that political views and issues aren't paramount in an election, it is more to say that when presenting political views and issues, canidates and presiden ...more
Marley
Mar 12, 2016 added it
I probably shouldn't admit this, but I read this book on the endorsement of the wretched Ann Coulter, and I'm glad I did. Shapiro is definitey a Coultler-type, but there's some great stories about and quotes from former presidents, candiates, and their handlers here that make Donald Trump look downright civil. If you think the current campaign is dirty, then you need to read this book. On the downside it could have used a real editor and less political asides reflecting the author's own politics ...more
Miriam Wilson
Jan 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Interesting report on presidential characteristics. If I were teaching The Presidency or methods this semester, I might use it and have students develop their own prediction of the winner. It is a bit redundant and cumbersome reading, but the author provides variables that are worth consideration.
Michelle
May 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: political
Great book-explains the importance of image in a candidacy. Most people make up their mind about the characteristics of another person within 10 seconds of meeting them (or viewing them on television) based on looks alone. This book is not only well written and interesting, but has a sly sense of humor. Fun!
Denise Patrishkoff
Entertaining look at image and politics

It generally kept my attention. The end rankings were interesting. It's not for everyone but I enjoyed it. Would like to read rankings of the current candidates.
Russ
Jan 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining. Perfect read for a 3 hour flight during a presidential election year.
Pamela Dixon
Found some historical mistakes in the writing so I stopped reading
David
Feb 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
President s

Enjoyed this book that discusses what we the voters think about an individual as we consider whether to vote for them!
Cadao Rain
Sep 12, 2016
Michele Davis
rated it did not like it
Nov 25, 2016
Matt Parbs
rated it it was ok
Aug 09, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Benjamin Shapiro was born in 1984. He entered UCLA at the age of 16 and graduated summa cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa in June 2004 with a BA in Political Science. He graduated Harvard Law School cum laude in June 2007. Shapiro was hired by Creators Syndicate at age 17 to become the youngest nationally syndicated columnist in the U.S.

His columns are printed in major newspapers and websites including
More about Ben Shapiro

• Maude
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
  • God: A Story of Revelation
    $8.24 $1.99
  • The Pastor: A Memoir
  • Forks Over Knives: The Plant-Based Way to Health
    $14.95 $2.99
  • Shadow Divers: The True Adventure of Two Americans Who Risked Everything to Solve One of the Last Mysteries of World War II
    $12.99 $2.99
  • The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors: The Extraordinary World War II Story of the U.S. Navy's Finest Hour
  • Working with Emotional Intelligence
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Perfect Horse: The Daring U.S. Mission to Rescue the Priceless Stallions Kidnapped by the Nazis