Jump to ratings and reviews

Broken Skies #1

Broken Skies

Thirty years ago, civilization collapsed. Few survived.
Ten years ago, the aliens arrived…and stayed.
One year ago, I killed two men and went a little crazy.
Today, the aliens took my brother and I will do anything to get him back.

Until recently, the E’rikon have remained segregated in their city and ignored the few humans who have tried to engage them… but now they have taken Jax’s brother. To rescue him, she forms an uneasy alliance with a teenage E’rikon left stranded in the woods. She agrees to guide him to the city if he sneaks her past the human-proof barrier. Too bad it’s not that simple.

Jax, who cannot stand to be touched, finds that she’s drawn to the alien boy with bright green hair and jewel-like scales on his back. And he’s equally affected by her, the courageous redhead with haunted eyes. But she doesn’t know the alien’s true motives and he has no idea that she is much more than she seems.

With the aliens and the humans at odds, the connection forming between the two teens has consequences. What started off as a rescue mission sets a chain of events in motion which threatens not only the remaining humans and the growing alien society, but Earth itself.

372 pages, Paperback

First published April 1, 2014

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Theresa Kay

23 books416 followers
The only person she knows who had a subscription to Writer's Digest at eleven and was always excited to write research papers, Theresa has been putting words to paper since a young age. Living in the mountains of central Virginia with her husband and two kids, she works as a paralegal by day, binges on Netflix at night and finds bits of time in between reading almost everything she can get her hands on and laundry to craft stories that tend to feature broken characters in sci-fi or paranormal worlds, with a touch of romance thrown in for good measure.

She's constantly lost in one fictional universe or another and is a self-proclaimed “fangirl” who loves being sucked in to new books or TV shows. Theresa originally wanted to write horror novels as an ode to her childhood passion for Stephen King novels, but between her internal Muse’s ramblings and the constant praise for her sci-fi pieces from her writer’s group – The Rebel Writers – she knew she should stick with what was working.

Ok, enough talking about myself in the third person… I love interacting with readers, so if you want to shoot me a line, you can connect with me on Facebook and Tumblr Even if it’s not about my books, I like chatting about my (many) fandoms, books and reading in general, or just about anything really.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
91 (5%)
1 star
44 (2%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 326 reviews
Profile Image for Ben Alderson.
Author 20 books13.1k followers
January 3, 2015
So this book was absolutely fantastic!
* here goes another sloppy review *

So it is all about an amazing fiery red head girl, Jax who lives with her twin brother in a 'camp' off people after a catastrophic event that killed over 90% of the population.
Where girls are shipped off to breeding camps, men used as killing machines and....oh yes Aliens practically of taken over the world.
Jax witnesses her brother being kidnapped by some Aliens and is determine to go and retrieve him from the head Alien city. She encounters a friendly face, Lir who so happens to be an Aliens with amazing eyes and hair.

On their journey fighting bears, people and developing a relationship Jax and Lir learn more about themselves thanks to each others help.

Turns out Jax is not as different as she first thought.

GO AND BUY THIS BOOK AND READ IT SO I CAN TALK TO YOU ALL ABOUT IT!
SO MANY TWISTS AND TURNS!

I love you
Ben ox
Profile Image for Jen ♥Star-Crossed Book Blog♥.
496 reviews303 followers
October 18, 2017
Broken Skies gripped me to the core and was truly outstanding.  The story continually built and became more intricate, causing me to become obsessed with this book.  It's all I can think about.  Seriously.  The pages were scattered with hardships and butterfly inducing moments that were breathtaking.  I never wanted this book to end.
“It’s going to be okay,” he says.
But I know it’s not.  I don’t know if anything is ever going to be okay again.

After the war left 10% of the population alive, the aliens, known as the E’rikon, arrived to share Earth.  They kept to themselves, until a group of them kidnapped Jax's brother, Jace.  In the commotion, a teenage E’rikon was left behind with no way to navigate home.  In a desperate attempt to get her brother back, Jax agrees to help navigate Lir to his city in exchange for getting inside to find her brother.  What started out as a simple journey, escalated into something that kept me on the edge of my seat!
The fingers of one hand curl into claws, perfect for ripping and tearing.  I won’t go quietly.  Icy fear has no place in my body now.  Instead, I’m filled with fire, burning me from the inside out and just waiting to be released.

I already knew I loved Jax the first few pages into Broken Skies.  She was resourceful, savvy and I loved that she was the one responsible for taking care of them for their journey.  Whenever she opened her mouth and fumbled over some words or would start blabbering, she made me laugh, smile and truly care for her.  But at the same point, she is somewhat broken.  She has hardships from her past that she struggles with, and I desperately wanted her to overcome them.
“You are everything I was taught humans were not.”

Lir was charming, sarcastic and I fell head over heals in love with him.  He was gentle, sweet, sincere, sexy and smart.  I honestly could not get enough of him!  And of course I still felt that way about him, even after he kept secrets from Jax.  Although, they were wonderful secrets that added so much depth.  Ohhhhh, Lir was everything I love in a male character.
Lir stands and reaches a hand out to me. I eye it for a moment before accepting it and allowing him to pull me to my feet. Trust has to start somewhere, I guess.

Jax and Lir were unforgettable characters.  And when they were together, their relationship was sweet, slow and natural.  Nothing was rushed.  Nothing was forced.  It was so much fun to watch them evolve.  Sigh, I am still on a book high.  This book was so much fun and I'm dying until I can read the second book. But until then, I can't recommend this book highly enough.  You must discover this world, characters and story!  I look forward to reading the rest of Theresa Kay's books, because her storytelling has enraptured me!

***ARC was kindly provided by the author in exchange for an honest review***

For more of my reviews, please visit:
descriptive text here
Profile Image for Paula M.
546 reviews643 followers
August 3, 2015
I think my heart is singing.

i-m-so-happy-o

There are books that you read and love, and there are books that you'll re-read for 846352 times and yes, you'll still love it. Its Broken Skies for me. This is the first 5 star review that I'll be posting this year. That alone, makes the book pretty special for me.

Broken Skies is like a hidden gem. And I'll be the first one to say it: It deserves to be seen.. to be read! To be completely honest, I don't know how to review this one. This seems to be a thing to me. When I love the book so much, my brain goes blank. Seriously, its like me on a math oral test. I don't know exactly what made me love the Broken Skies so I'd say.. everything!

Jax is a wonderful main character. She's memorable and she's perfectly flawed.

"I refuse to be a weapon of destruction. I already know what it feels like to kill and I will not give in to it. I will find another way"

She's a badass and there's a lot of YA main protagonist that I've read, and she's one of the most that I admire. I admire how she thinks and her attitude. Now, Lir is no different. Good god, if you can do the eye brow thing like Lir can, I'll put you on my possible-guys-to-marry list.

'"I think this is the first time I have seen you speechless,” Lir says with laughing eyes. “Had I only known, I would have removed my shirt sooner"‘

And this alien is downright sassy. There's still a mysterious air around him and its great that Theresa Kay isn't revealing much about him but its like I completely know him and yes, I'm excited to get to know him better on the following books. Other side characters such as Jax's brother and Flint took me by surprise by being well written characters and diverse. Usually, side characters aren't given much thought, but in here, you can't help but notice them.

The plot is.. jam packed. It has action, there's mystery, the drama cannot be ignored and the romance is to die for. With a genre like YA Dystopia its so easy to just drop the book and say, ‘been there, read that‘ so as a reader, a book has to have something that sinks into the reader that makes it hard to let go. And as weird as this sounds, Jax world IS hard let go. Its a terrible world and its enthralling. And I want to know more the culture, how everything works and how it came to that. More reasons to wait and be excited for the following books in the series.

I mentioned this on my first review of Broken Skies before and I'll say it again, Broken Skies is one of those stories that sinks its hooks into you and won’t let go. Its a one package treat that is perfect for every reader out there. Theresa Kay is epic and so is her book. And I don't know my plan yet, but I'm planning to bribe her for the sequel. Waiting is almost painful. But then again, its Jax and Lir. I don't know if I'm ready for the things that will happen. Praise for Theresa Kay!

More reviews and giveaways on my BLOG.
Profile Image for Elesia.
138 reviews219 followers
July 22, 2015
Broken Skies is about a girl named Jax, a fiery red-head who lives with her twin brother Jace at a camp after an event that killed 90% of the worlds population. Girls are shipped off to breeding camps since after this event it's been hard for women to conceive, and aliens have dropped down to visit. And try to take over the world. And also steal Jax's twin, Jace.

Jax, our main character, I really enjoyed reading from her point of view. She was sarcastic, fiery but also vulnerable and caring. I loved the relationship she had with her twin, and I loved that Theresa would add in special moments of Jax and Jace, so even though Jace wasn't physically there, you still felt that connection to their relationship. Lir, the love interest and also alien who helps Jax get into his city where they're holding her twin, I also loved. I had my moments with him, where I thought he was being a total idiot, but overall I loved him and he was sometimes just so sweet. The relationship between Lir and Jax was so entertaining and fun, I really enjoyed it!

The plot was very fast paced, which I enjoyed! The book in general was fast paced, and so entertaining I read it in no time! I just kept wanting to know more, read more about Lir and Jax! I love alien books and this one is no different!

I would recommend this to fans of Twilight and The Lux series! It was entertaining, funny, fast paced and had a great romance! I absolutely can't wait to get my hands on the sequel, Fractured Suns!
Profile Image for Ariana.
936 reviews1,299 followers
March 20, 2015

You know that I don’t have a reading plan, so it shouldn’t come as a surprise that I had other books in mind when this one caught my attention. I just wanted to read a few pages to see how I would like it, but the thing is… I couldn’t put it down until I reached the last page, that’s how addictive it was.

BROKEN SKIES tells a story of a broken girl in a broken world, searching for her brother and teaming up with a guy that might as well be the enemy. It also tells a story of adventure, with so many turnarounds that it might make your head spin.

What I liked the most was the fast pacing. Things kept happening and the few breaks we took only helped with the development of the relationship between the two characters, Jax and Lir. And these two did make a great team when the tension between them finally got to loosen up a bit. Though nothing lasts forever in this book, and what goes around comes around.

Like in most dystopian stories the romance is quite a bit in focus, but it never overshadows the actual plot. Both characters have their own agendas and reasonings behind their actions. Some might be transparent (for all to see), some will probably be explained in the next instalment – which I really-really want to read!

There are plenty turnarounds to surprise us, and that’s a good thing because it keeps the reader on the edge, even though it adds to a bit of confusion. But there are also things that I did anticipate, things that Jax didn’t see coming even though the clues were pretty evident. Funny thing: there was a lot of fainting and loss of consciousness, at some point I started to guess where will our girl wake up and to what. I was not as good as I want to believe at this guessing game, LOL, but it was still fun.

All in one, I did enjoy this story a lot and I can’t wait to see what comes out next. Rounding up the rating to 4 because I loved the action. All those turnarounds.. oh my!

Happy midnight reading!

Read the full review and more at ReadingAfterMidnight.
____________________________________________

Blog (EN) | Facebook | Twitter | Tumblr | Bloglovin' | Blog (RO)
____________________________________________

June 10, 2015
I liked this a lot, except...
Aliens that look exactly like humans except for weird hair and eye colors. Really? I mean this just makes no sense. I'm able to deal with that shit from Star Trek because it's Star Trek. But in any other SciFi, if the aliens look just like humans, I need a reason (see Stargate. No, seriously, everyone should watch Stargate because it's the best show ever in the entire world. But also they gave a great reason for why all the aliens look like humans - because, well, they are!). So I really need an explanation for this, although perhaps that's coming in the next book(s).

And then there's the bit where Jax has no idea what to do when she encounters a black bear. This is a girl who grew up in a cabin in the middle of nowhere with her father and brother; a girl who knows how to hunt and take care of herself. And she freaks out over a black bear?? Fyi, black bears are pretty timid - all you'd have to do it make a lot of noise and it would go away. Which you would think she would have known. Also, you'd think she'd know better than to just leave her pack on the ground unattended, where bears (and other critters) could easily get to it.

description

But I did really like Lir and the relationship that developed between Jax and him. It definitely wasn't insta-love. For a second I thought there'd be a love triangle, but that went in a totally different, and better, direction. So while there were a few things that annoyed me, overall I really liked this book and can't wait for the next one!!
Profile Image for Kirsty (Amethyst Bookwyrm).
629 reviews72 followers
August 25, 2015
Thanks to Theresa Kay for giving me this book to review.

30 years ago billions died as civilisation collapsed, 20 years later aliens, the E’rikon, arrived but since then have kept to themselves. A year ago Jax was attacked and killed two men, since then she has not liked being touched and relies on her twin brother Jace. When her brother is taken by the aliens, Jax will do anything to get him back and makes a deal with teenage E’rikon, Lir, with green hair and scales on his back. With Lir’s motive unknown they set off to the alien city and start to form a connection but their rescue mission may cause a chain of events with could change not just human and E’rikon society but earth.

Broken Skies is an enjoyable sci-fi/dystopia with suspense, romance and some action. I found the story very similar to other YA sci-fi and dystopian novels which did make it a bit forgettable, but, while it is a bit predictable, some of the twists I did not see coming.

I like Jax as she will not pretend to be someone she isn’t, she is emotionally damaged but not broken and fiercely loyal to her brother. Lir is a bit of a mystery in this book as I was never 100% sure if he could be trusted but he was sweet, intelligent and protective of Jax. I would have liked to get to know Jace better as he is a big influence in this book but he is not much in it.

This book has a massive cliff-hanger ending and I am looking forward to reading the next book Fractured Suns. I would recommend Broken Skies to fans of Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi and Partials by Dan Wells.

This and my other reviews can be found at Amethyst Bookwyrm
Profile Image for Morgan E.
142 reviews52 followers
January 16, 2015
I received this from Netgalley for my honest review. Publisher: Amazon Publishing/ Skyscape

Wow! This book was amazing! I have to say that this is my favorite book, by far this year! Even though this year has just started, this book is going to be hard to top! I loved the writing style, the characters and the setting. I love the new spin Theresa Kay puts on the aliens. I have to say that I have an alien crush:) And anyone who reads this book, will too!

Jax (Jasmine)
I loved her as the main character. She is strong, courageous, caring, loyal and slightly broken(but in a good way). She loves her twin brother, Jace and would do anything for him. She grows a lot throughout this book and transforms into a really great heroine. I loved the relationships that were formed between Jax and all the other characters.

Lir
I love this new alien race! Crush worthy!*Swoons and fans face* I love the crazy colored hair and eyes and the scales! Who knew scales could be sexy and alluring? I love everything about this alien race! Lir, in perticual, was an amazing representation of this new race of aliens. I enjoyed reading about him and his race, the E'rikon. He is loyal, intelligent, strong and doesn't back down from a fight. He also grew throughout this book and his transformation, I'm not sure if it was for the better or not:(

The ending killed me! I need the second book in this series, like yesterday! I hate cliffhangers but I hate love triangles even more! I loved this book sooo much and guess what? NO LOVE TRIANGLES!! Can you believe it?

I recommend this book to EVERYONE but mostly to people who love sci-fi and Ya!
Profile Image for Cee (The Mistress Case).
253 reviews161 followers
April 7, 2016
“Joke’s on you guys— I was already broken.”

If I had to describe this book in one word, it would be: awesome-heartthrob-thrilling-adventurous-fantastic.

Okay, that’s more than one, but I don’t have to describe this book in a single word, do I?

I started Broken Skies with the purpose of ignoring the GR reviews at all cost. I wanted to dive into it and not know what to expect. The less I knew, the more I anticipated.

Why is Jax unsociable? What is her social status in the settlement? What does it mean to be “Promised”? Why doesn’t Jax like being touched? Who is Lir? What is his social status among the aliens? Why was he left behind? What did he do to let this happen?

What did I discover? Broken Skies is much, much more than it appears at first glance— or the second glance— or the third.

I’ve stumbled upon plenty of books about girl rescues brother with the help of boy, and Broken Skies is one of the best and manages to surpass my strict 3-star-ratings. As a matter of fact, it’s only the second book to do so. The other being Heir to Sevenwaters.

Broken Skies takes place thirty years after the apocalypse, commonly referred to as “the Collapse.” Although aliens came to settle on the same soil already occupied by the survivors of this new age, they refuse to integrate and interact with the remaining humans, a greedy and arrogant species that led to their own near-extinction and destruction of civilization.

If that’s true, why do the aliens bother kidnapping Jax’s brother? A human?

Jax is “Jasmine” Mitchell, tomboy sister of her twin Jace. She refuses to become a breeding cow in her community and answers to no one but her brother. They are completely loyal to one another and she will not sit back and leave her only family to his fate. With the help of an alien named “Lir,” she embarks on a journey to rescue her brother— and maybe even the broken pieces of herself.

On the surface, this is the information you are presented with. However, as you read on, you learn under the surface that the history and dynamics of the post-apocalyptic world and the aliens are more complex than that, and I don’t think I’ll be able to explore what occurs without spoiling the book for interested readers so I’ll move onto the characters and forbidden romance.

I love a good romance in a fantasy novel, dystopian novel, you name it. What I absolutely hate is when that romance takes hostage of the plot. It’s a crime to fool me into thinking a book is worth reading when other key elements are overshadowed by stupid lovesick characters.

Rest assured that Broken Skies is not the case. The romance between Jax and Lir is a focus in the story but not to the point of suffocation. (Although I do admit to being suffocated by the feels I get from the characters.) The magnetism between them is indisputable and I find their feelings to be mature and courageous. They are well-developed characters, even Lir, who we see through only Jax’s eyes since the story is told in her first point of view. In fact, every character is well-developed and I hate to say it but I’m looking forward to the further development of the bad guys.

I have a like and hate relationship with the characters in this book, as I do with most books. All of them are enjoyable and intriguing to read about and they’re more than meets the eye.

Jace is the levelheaded one out of the twins. Jax, on the other hand, is impulsive, outspoken, and honestly downright delightful. She’s flawed She has real problems. She’s not a whinny little brat. And she especially doesn’t try to be someone she’s not. Jax is used to being underestimated because she’s a woman and because she heavily depends on Jace more than she wants to. After a past trauma that broke her body and mind, she has to rely on his support to get her through the terrifying nights. I really felt for her and connected with her on a personal level. At times, I had half a mind to wish she would abandon Lir. “Screw everyone else. Family matters.” Like me, she can be entirely selfish when it comes to her loved ones, but that’s what family is for. They make you do things you don’t want. They can make you feel safe then take away that sense of security just as easily. They make you weak and strong. Even though Jax allows her hot temper get the best of her and throws occasional fits, I never saw her as a mere child. Even when she shrinks into herself and breaks down on almost every single other page, I never saw her as weak. She’s a strong person and it’s easy to see why Lir falls for her.

Now Lir . . . He’s a pleasant character. His hair. His eyes. His smile. His scales (which is described so beautifully). His fucking irresistible eyebrow. Sure, that’s all swoon-worthy, but I’ll always put Jax before him. Her preservation and strong will is what matters the most to me and I refuse to waver because of all the good and charm he throws my way. He’s daring, compassionate, and protective. He protects Jax. Correction: They protect each other and I was in a bottle of nerves whenever they came across trouble. They’ve been their worst and most vulnerable around one another. Jax isn’t a damsel in distress, but when Lir does help her, it’s not because he thinks she’s weak and incapable. It’s because he shares a bond with her and worries for her more than he should let himself. A dangerous move, indeed, to get too close. He’s not trustworthy. There was too much mystery surrounding him and I couldn’t trust him. I knew there had to be some manipulation in his motives. As much as I like the idea of him with Jax, I don’t like him as a person.

The ending and whatnot: Major spoilers ahead. Please skip it.

"The E’rikon have no clue that they have created a monster, one that hates the darkness but also craves the serenity that would come with its embrace."

Conclusion: Broken Skies is an exciting and fast paced read. The reactions it evoked in me had me smiling then cursing all within seconds of each other. Definitely worth a read if you’re a dystopia lover! See everyone at the sequel Fractured Suns. I can’t wait to meet new and old characters, observe the progress of Jax’s training, learn of the aliens’ and humans' plans, find out more about Lir's role in all of this, and see what happens when Jax and Lir meet again. I’m hoping she’ll punch him in the nose. That will give me (and maybe herself) great satisfaction.

4 stars!

I received a digital copy of this book directly from the author. It was given freely for an honest review and in no way does the generous gesture affect my opinions.

This review can also be found at The Mistress Case.
Profile Image for Angela.
583 reviews1,257 followers
January 26, 2016
I was very fortunate to be asked by Theressa Kay to give this book a try in exchange for an honest review.

All I knew about Broken Skies was that it was being compared to The Lux Series a lot... If you know anything at all about me you know that The Lux Series is my favorite series. And yeah it is very comparable, but too me it was more like The Lux Series, The Dustlands Trilogy, Taken, Alienated, and The 5th Wave had some kind of crazy sex party and during which a baby was formed and that baby turned out to be Broken Skies. Yeah it's that insane. On top of all of that I am a known Alien obsessed freak so I have very high standards when it comes to alien books... All that being said... I LOVED THIS BOOK! I LOVED EVERYTHING ABOUT IT.

Starting off with the characters. Jax is this fiery strong willed sassy redhead that you will love. Her loyalty and determination are absolutely amazing. Her character growth is off the charts! She is strong; yet weak at the beginning, but by the ends transforms into the leading lady that you wanted and you'll be standing behind. Her attitude is much like mine aka very sarcastic, and made it very easy for me to connect with her. Lir... OH LIR... I loved him. The second he appeared and was described I knew I was in love. Normally it's the characters I have to worry about falling in insta-love, nope this time it was me. whoosh, SWOON. Even when I hated  him I loved him. The relationship between the two is what really makes this story, and I have no complaints about that. Their relationship is an emotional roller-coaster that I want to ride on another 50 times. They don't have insta-love just insta-like and it was to cute for words. I like how their relationship builds, what it becomes, and how it is left at the end. At one point when they are in the Alien city and things happen with Lir (can't say what because spoils) that I seriously screamed...

It's just so good. The sub characters like her twin brother Jace, her family friend Flint, and Lir's cousin Rym were all strong and well rounded. I especially liked Rym. Pretty sure if some kind of side story or novella was written from his point of view I would eat that junk right up. The next thing I loved about Broken Skies was the world building. It wasn't anything over the top. It was just enough to get it's point across and then left it so you could fill in the rest yourself, and I loved that. Their journey never feels forced or rushed, another plus side too this story. With strong characters, and a strong story you think that is all I would really have to say about this book but its not... My favorite thing about Broken Skies is that Theresa has given us something new to the alien genre!!! AND THANK YOU!!! She gave us a new spin on what aliens look like. Their hair color was brillz, their eyes amaze, but the fact that they have these scales on their backs leading into their hair line was something that I thought at first hear was going to be odd... NO LOVED IT!!!!! Never thought a man with scales could sound sexy, but I loved being wrong about that.... And I know I've said this before as well but I don't care Imma say it again... I DON'T WANT TO LIVE IN A WORLD WHERE IF ALIENS DO COME HUMANS AND ALIENS COULDN'T BE TOGETHER!!!!! I seriously love them that much. And who are we kidding I know we all hope aliens come and that they look like Lir, Daemon Black, and Evan Walker. BEAM ME UP HOTTIES!!!! AM I RIGHT?!?!

The plot is fast paced and constant, leaving you with a "never a dull moment" feeling. The story starts small and just keeps building up and up until the ending leaves you breathless. No it didn't per say leave on a cliffhanger but just about as close as you can get too one. Action packed, no emotion left un-felt, and super suspenseful... Too me the ending was left at the perfect moment.

I can not wait to read book two in this series, and hope that Theresa will bless us with more chances to read her work... Theresa Kay was born to write. She might be an "under known" author right now, but I have no doubt that that will end soon.
Profile Image for Rachel.
741 reviews101 followers
April 5, 2015
First off, a big thanks to the author Theresa Kay, for sending this book to me for review! Also, even though I was sent this book for review, all my opinions on the book are honest and my own.

I really enjoyed this one! This was a great, fast-paced, and fun sci-fi novel. It had a lot more emotional depth than I was expecting, and the end of this one really set something big up for the next book (which I want very soon please).

Plot- At first, I wasn't expecting this plot to be much. I thought it was going to be a typical "on the roads traveling" sort of story, with some romance thrown in. I thought, "what more can you do with the alien story line?" Needless to say, I was impressed, and apparently there's a lot more you can do with the alien storyline. I don't want to say too much, with the risk of spoiling, but even though the book may start off as a more typical storyline, it definitely grows into something more, and by the end of the first book, the overarching plot has become much more epic, in the sense that it's very grand, not just a person to person conflict anymore. That being said, it's not the most rich or complex alien invasion story I've ever seen, but that's totally okay, I don't think that's what this book needed. I think the plot holds just the right amount of unique-ness, while still being an easy story to digest and understand. The journey to the alien city was enjoyable, and fun, but for me, the book really hit it's stride near the end when they reach the city. That's where the grander threads of the plot start to come together, and I really got a sense of where the book was going. It was also just cool to see how the author pictured the alien city, and civilization. Backing up a bit though, I must say when the main "plot twist" was revealed, I had guessed it early on in the story, but it still made for an interesting sub plot in the story once it was revealed. The whole story itself was incredibly fast-paced. I can say I really was never bored throughout the whole thing, even if I wasn't necessarily on the edge of my seat all the time, I was always interested. The ending to this book was pretty chaotic, and set us up for an exciting next book, which I'm eagerly anticipating. I really enjoyed my time reading this, and although one thing happened at the end that made me a little frustrated, I know it will be fixed soon in the next one, so I'm not worried.

Writing- I'm pretty lukewarm about the writing. It was by no means bad, but it just didn't stand out to me while I was reading, which was totally fine. The one thing I did like was how our alien friend, Lir, spoke with a little bit more formality than the humans. I found this to be quite beliveable, because I'm assuming English isn't the aliens first language, so it would be understandable that his dialogue would be a bit more jilted, less contractions, and just felt more formal. I don't know if this was intentional (I'm assuming it was), but I thought it was a nice touch that many alien books seem to forget.

Characters- I quite enjoyed these characters. I tend to be sort of picky with my YA characters now a days, because sadly, more often they seem to be falling into overused stereotypes that I've seen before. Now, I'm not saying that these characters are the be-all to end-all of unique-ness, but I thought they were refreshing for the most part, and I wasn't rolling my eyes at their obvious character layouts. There was a little bit of that in Jaz, our main character, and her brother, Jace, being over protective, but I think the author laid this out nicely with a believable backstory, that really helped to build a foundation for these two characters and the way they acted, so I wasn't annoyed by this. Earlier, when I said for the most part, my only reservation was with Jax, who I for the most part liked, but I just couldn't shake the feeling of, she's trying too hard. I think this was mainly just me being overly critical, because she does have her break downs (which is something I liked a lot and will talk about in a second), but sometimes I just thought her inner monologue was a little grating, but overall I did really enjoy her, and how she was independent, and wouldn't conform to her villages gender roles they imposed on the women. One thing I really liked about Jax, and what the author chose to do with her, is give her anxiety, and panic attacks. I thought this was very, very believable, considering what's happened to her in her past, and I was happy to see events like that handled with a realistic view. I liked how it made her vulnerable, and understandable, and real. I thought the constant 'what am I doing letting him touch me?' was okay in moderation, but there was a touch too much self-chastising in that department for my taste, but I digress. I'm rambling now, so I'll try to keep the last few characters short. I really enjoyed Lir and I liked how the author balanced alien with human. He wasn't totally human, to the point where I couldn't believe he was an alien (as much as I love you, looking at you Daemon), but he wasn't totally alien, to the point where I couldn't see the human in him (Aelyx from Alienated is my first thought). I really liked him, and I liked how he also didn't look totally human, finally aliens who don't miraculously look exactly like us!! I also really enjoyed the other alien we meet, Rym, and I'm very excited to see him again in the next book. Lastly, I was very happy to see a gay relationship portrayed, I'm all for that diversity as you all know.

Romance- My characters section was just getting way too long, so I decided to make this its own section. I'm really digging this romance. I can definitely feel the connection and chemistry, which is a very good thing. At the beginning it wasn't my favorite, it had a hint of insta-love, but by the end I can assure you that insta-love was the last thing on my mind. I think it just had a bit of a rough start, but by the time they crossed that awkward line of, do I like you?, I don't know, do I like you?, the "ship" had sailed for me and I really enjoyed them together. I wish Jax had a bit more trust in Lir though, it sometimes frustrated me how she always was so quick to believe the worst, but she was also quick to belive Lir when he cleared things up, which I appriciated. Needless to say, I really do like this romance, and I"m rooting for Jax and Lir! (Jir? Lax? Do they have a ship name yet?)

Overall- Wow, this review was a lot longer than I anticipated, but if you read this far, thank you (: I really enjoyed reading this book, even despite my tiny qualms I had, and I think it deserves more "hype," because I think a lot of people would like this, especially if you liked the Lux series. It's darker I think, and a more complex plot, but it's another great fast paced alien book. I really enjoyed how this book seemed a lot more realistic in terms of the characterization of aliens, more realistic than a lot of the YA alien books out there (or at least the ones I've seen). I'm so grateful that I got to review this book, and I can't wait for the sequel, I would seriously read it now if I had it.

Recommend?- If you're a fan of sci-fi, I definitely would! If you're a fan of alien invasion sci-fi, then I think you would especially like it, as it's a great addition to the YA alien universe (if that makes any sense, I hope it does...).
Profile Image for Siobhan Davis.
Author 101 books7,783 followers
September 29, 2015
This was an excellent, well-written start to an exciting sci-fi series. The book flowed smoothly from the first page and it hooked me from start to finish. While, in general, the pace is slower in the first half, that didn't bother me at all as the author gave appropriate time to paint her characters and showcase their personalities. I really felt a connection with Jax and Lir, and that's so important to me. Too often, authors skimp on characterization, choosing plot as a priority and in a lot of cases, that's a mistake. So, that's a long-winded way of saying I like how Theresa structured this book.

Jax struggles with trust issues and she's dealing with the aftermath of a traumatic event. Her brother is her rock, so when he is taken by the aliens, she is more than heart-broken, she is completely lost. Lir seems like the only option to help her rescue her twin so she sets out on foot for the alien city. Their journey is hazardous and long, but they gradually relax around one another, and find comfort and solace in each other. Ah, I loved it!

Lir is a hot alien (my favorite type) and not at all what Jax was expecting, or had been lead to believe of his race.

There are plenty of great revelations in the second half of the book and the ending is fantastic - action packed and heart-wrenching at the same time.

I enjoyed this authors writing style, and it's an accomplished piece of writing.

This review will feature on my blog in due course: http://myyanabookobsession.com
Profile Image for {U n s o l v e d M y s t e r y}.
381 reviews112 followers
Read
June 7, 2021

I won this book through a Goodreads giveaway. Thank you so much!

When this book started, I thought I would like it.
Its science-fiction/fantasy, so its way out of my comfort zone.
It had an engaging plot and was something I wanted to give a chance.

As the book progressed, I lost interest; not that the book was bad.
It just wasn't for me. I wanted to move on.
I'm donating it to my local library; others will enjoy it.

Since I didn't finish; I will not rate this book.
525 reviews130 followers
October 14, 2020
Jax has heard the stories, seen the remains of what the world used to be, but she was born after the end, after mankind turned on itself and destroyed most of civilization.  And then the aliens arrived.

The humans and aliens seem to live in relative peace, rarely interacting with each other and each occupying their own areas. So Jax is shocked to see a group of them take her brother -- even more so when she finds herself in the presence of one who just might be able to help her get him back.  After all he'll never survive out there by himself, and she'll never get into the alien city without his help.

They'll have to escape the compound where Jax and Jace have been staying, find their way to the city where Lir's kind live, and somehow get in to find and save Jace.  But their biggest obstacle will be overcoming their prejudices and learning to trust each other.  And after that?  It seems there's more to the aliens, to the humans, to everything around her than she ever imagined.

But... C L I F F H A N G E R.  Have I mentioned how much I hate those?  After a perfectly paced journey with just the right amount of danger and adventure, everything seemed to be building up to something incredible, and then --- Nope, no more story until the next book.  Sorta ruined the 5-star thing I had planned.

I'm not your typical sci-fi fan.  Most of the time I don't even give science fiction a second glance, but something about this story caught my attention, so I figured I'd give it a shot.  And before I knew it, I was hooked.

Since civilization collapsed, society has devolved, with some humans roaming the countryside in lawless bands, and others coming together in settlements centered around archaic ideals.  While seemingly secure from the aliens, the disproportionate ratio of women to men has resulted in assigned matches in the settlement where Jax and Jace have been living, with women expected to be docile and subservient.  And Jax is anything but that.

Jax's character is complex, certainly dependent upon her brother and then on Lir, but also fighting to be independent.  She's not so fierce that she's unbelievable; she's simply determined and unwilling to let anything stand in the way of her saving her brother.  She's also got a few issues, made apparent by frequent panic attacks, stemming from an attack before the story begins.  And while she defended herself, she's guilt-ridden by the necessary loss of life.  The only person whose touch she can even stand is her brother's, although she soon discovers contact with Lir isn't at all unpleasant.

Lir is a bit of a  mystery and a bit of a contradiction.  Like all the aliens, he appears almost human.  If it weren't for his odd hair and eye color, it would be hard to tell the difference.  At times he's overly formal, but when he's relaxed, he's much like any human teenage boy.  And it doesn't hurt that he's incredibly easy on the eyes.  Unfortunately, I'd probably ruin a lot of the fun you'll have reading it if I give away much about him, and I suspect we'll learn quite a bit more in the next book, but suffice it to say, he's an incredibly interesting character that is easy to love.

I think what I like most about the book is that it isn't rushed.  While I'll certainly complain that I have to wait to find out what happens next, the pacing throughout the book is perfect.  It would have been easy, and probably a little expected, if Lir and Jax had almost instantly admitted their attraction, but it would have taken away from the rest of the story in the worst way.  It makes sense that even though they're working together, they don't entirely trust each other, and while it's clear there's something strong developing between them, neither are in a place to just throw caution to the wind and go with it.  Jax is hellbent on saving her brother from Lir's people, and Lir is desperate to get home and away from the humans who make no secret of their hatred for his species.  Their unlikely pairing is necessary, but they're not naive enough to walk blindly into it.  And as more and more about both societies is revealed, their relationship becomes not only more necessary, but more threatened.

Broken Skies is a captivating read, and it's appeal crosses genres.  Whether you like sci-fi, dystopian, paranormal, or just anything with a hint of romance, check it out; it's got something for everyone.

*I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for MissS3LFD3STRUKT.
278 reviews94 followers
July 7, 2017
Title: Broken Skies
Author: Theresa Kay
Genre(s): Alien, Dystopian
Rating: 4 stars

Loves, Likes, Adores:
I love Lir and Jax so much!

Dislikes, Hates, Ignores:
Kiiiiinda slow in a few parts but overall I was interested in this story.

Profile Image for Sheyla ✎.
1,801 reviews454 followers
November 12, 2017

“I think this is the first time I have seen you speechless," Lir says with laughing eyes. "Had I only known, I would have removed my shirt sooner.”

I have had this book for a couple of years now. One of my friends loved it and it was time for me to read it. It is no mystery that I love the Lux series which I think are the only books I've read with aliens in it. I have enjoyed alien movies a lot. Starman, E.T, Close Encounter of the Third Kind, MIB, Independence Day, Contact and Signs to name a few.

Broken Skies is about Jax Mitchell, a teenager who's living in a dystopian world. Decades ago, ninety percent of the world died during a war. After the war, aliens move in. They are named the E'rikon. Until now, humans have ignored the aliens and vice-versa. Jax lives with her brother in a small settlement. Jace, her brother has adapted well to living within. Jax wants nothing but to leave it and take Jace with her. When she was ready to tell him about the plan, Jace is taken by a group of aliens. Jax will do anything to get him back including partnering with an E'rikon named Lir.

Jax doesn't know why Lir was close to their settlement but she knows he's the only one who knows how to get her inside their protected Alien city.

The premise of Broken Skies was interesting. I like both main characters. Jax was a strong-willed young woman. She was a survivor despite having PTSD. She was also loyal to her brother. She knew the danger but she never gave up trying to rescue Jace.

Lir was mysterious. He could also be funny and sweet. He was hiding things from Jax but neither trusted each other completely.

Two things bothered me. The first one had to do with Jax. Three consecutive scenes had her vomiting. If she vomited so much, how did she have the strength to keep on going without food in her stomach? and Lir, being at a complete loss during the travel through the forest. I don't know I was hoping he was more useful.

Overall, Broken Skies was entertaining, fast-paced and had good world building. I do want to continue reading the other two books.

Cliffhanger: No

3/5 Fangs

MrsLeif's Two Fangs About It | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
Profile Image for Marjolein (UrlPhantomhive).
2,360 reviews50 followers
January 28, 2015
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

All reviews I read about this book were very positive so I was happy to request a copy myself even though I wasn't going to request any more books. It's no miracle my expectations were quite high when I started reading, but unfortunately I was disappointed quite early one as it turned out this book was not for me at all.

The setting is some post-apocalyptic America, with not one but two major 'disasters' in twenty years. First, the humans were almost wiped out completely. Survives were just trying to get on with their lives when the aliens landed. But for some reason they didn't invade really but moved into the cities that were already abandoned. They don't mix and most people have never even seen an alien.

They keep to their own in a very typical 'not many people have survived' setting, one that has decided that feminism must be the root of all evil. It's been thirty years since the apocalypse, people would still remember how thing were before!

As less females survived the apocalypse I can understand perhaps that they might be treated with some extra care. Although I firmly believe that everyone old enough to read YA is aware of the fact that you need more than just a womb to grow a baby. My biggest problem is that - and it's not just this book but it really annoyed me this time - for some reason they've decided that the best way to recreate civilization is to stop any kind of emancipation. Apparently worlds are best recreated when the women in the story wear long skirts, sit inside, look pretty and do embroidery. Oh, and grow babies. That's all. (But then again, why are young women given away as trophies to old men, who quite possibly are no longer capable of fathering a child?)

But Jax is not like the other girls. She's such a special snowflake. She wears jeans (oh my! People are actually commentating on her outfits a lot) and prefers hunting to embroidery classes. Even though she's such a rebel at the start, there are at least four guys fighting for her hand. Because she's so special. She meets an alien. Luckily for the rest of the story these aliens, who've only been her for such a short time -keep that in mind-, look just like humans. Almost indistinguishable from each other. Now, what are the odds! The aliens do have somewhat brighter-coloured hair and ornamental scales. Okay. In ten pages her mind switches from 'Kill him!' to 'Love him!', it really reads like instalove in the blink of an eye. Fast, even for instalove-standards.

The rest of the story wasn't much better, unfortunately. An unremarkable journey, an uninteresting relationship and oh, so shocking revelations that -surprise- didn't blow me away. I'd hoped for something more, but couldn't find it in this story.

Broken Skies is the first book in a new series.

Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review!
Profile Image for Libby Wyatt.
320 reviews22 followers
May 27, 2015
4.5 broken stars

This is a sci-fy YA book which is set in a dystopic world after the Collapse which caused more than 90% of the world's population to die. The aliens (the E'rikon) now live in city’s segregated from the remaining human camps. It is not until a freak “accident” that our novel really kicks off when Jace (Jax’s then brother) is kidnapped by the E’rikon. Whilst this is happening, Lir, a member of this kidnapping party is stranded. Our unlikely duo quickly brokers an alliance to help one another to travel to the alien city. Throughout the course of this read, you will witness and experience trust and friendships being formed, heartbreak in the form of distrust and loyalty so strong that you wish that your sibling would was more like Jax.

As I’ve stated throughout my updates and quick reviews about this book, this is bloody brilliant. Jax, our heroine, is one of the strongest females leads I’ve ever read about. Her determination and blind faith in her twin brother is something that I haven't read or seen in YA books, or in the sci-fy genre. Jax’s history is heart-breaking and I was tearing up when I eventually found out what happened. What makes this novel so unique is the relationship between the twins is phenomenal. The plot twist at the end letting me gasping and wanting answers for our twins! What will happen, especially how will this affect our heroes in the future conflict to come?!

Lir… I don’t know where to start! When we first met E’rikon was sympathetic for him when he is left behind and how the humans initially treat him. Was worried about his intentions but as the love story progressed I fell hard and fast for Lir. I mean who wouldn’t with bright green hair and golden jewel-like scales on his back? The last ten or so chapters left my head spinning and heart and bond breaking (inside book joke!). As we discover people’s real motives and plot developments coming to a head, left me crying! I can’t deal with the wait for this next book! I need answers to the conclusions that this book left me with.

Like I’ve said on my Instagram account, anyone who is a fan of Alienation by Melissa Landers, the Lux series by Jennifer L. Armentrout or just the sci-fy genre in general you will LOVE this series! It is quick and really enjoyable read. I haven’t flown through a book like this in a long time. Please I need a release date for the second book and *grabby hands* GIVE ME ANSWERS! Please!!
Profile Image for Caylie.
Author 6 books173 followers
February 8, 2014
So, I had a whole night to think about what to write... and still I don't know where to start.

First, I suppose, let me tell you that I've never been one to read sci-fi. It takes a lot for me to even read paranormal, but it seems lately, that's all I've been reading. So, I can do all the paranormal stuff... but Aliens? Ugh. Really? You want me to like creepy aliens?!

But damn if Theresa didn't succeed in making me fall for a damn alien!

So in the beginning I was torn between Lir and Flint. Flint seemed like a good guy - wanted to take care of Jax... and he is and he does... it just seems that he wants to take care of someone else more. MIND BLOWN! Haha.

So anyway, back to Lir. I mean... LIR. Sweet lord... I don't even know what to say about him. He's hot. He's cold. He's hot again. He's confusing as ever. And then... BAM!! OhMyGod... LIR?!?! NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

And Jax - the awesome bad ass protagonist, who is more than she seems.

I really feel like I was just digging deeper into the story, when it was OVER! I mean, there was a whole story arc, but I felt like we were just getting to the even more good stuff.

Cliffhanger.... Just going to say that.

I don't even know. This book had me ALL OVER THE PLACE. Happy, sad, angry, tummy fluttery, giddy, outraged, betrayed.... I just... all over the place.

With all that being said... CAN FRACTURED SUNS COME OUT NOW PLEASE?!?!? I mean, I realize this book hasn't even come out yet... but I wouldn't mind for Broken Skies to come out on March 14th and Fractured Suns to come out on March 15. I'm just saying... GIVE THE FANS WHAT THEY WANT!

Freaking amazing... Thanks for sucking me into the world of aliens.

**I received this ARC from the author, in return for an honest review.**
Profile Image for Brianna ☯.
209 reviews45 followers
March 19, 2014
Broken Skies by Theresa Kay

I absolutely L O V E D  Broken Skies . I have quite a soft spot for alien romances/ alien adventure novels, so I make sure to judge them to a high extent. And boy oh boy did this one meet my standards!

The one thing I really found myself enjoying was the writing, Theresa is a fairly new author and when being a new author, your writing for your first or second book wont be too hot. She did a fabulous job at writing and developing the plot/world. Every single one of her characters, Everyone? YES EVERYONE, were fantastically and amazingly well developed. This novel, I can tell, was very well put together. Nothing dragged on, went to fast, or disappointed. THE ENDING WAS SO HEARTBREAKING. Well at least to me....

First off I want to just state my feeling on the three main characters. Jax being the first. She's a very badass girl/woman to an extent. Yeah.Yeah.Yeah. She has the little nightmare issues, but sometimes she would be annoying with her constant need of comfort. But sometimes, she keeps to herself which is so much more better than needing someone to baby our female heroine. And also the one thing I found funny but a tad annoying was her BREATHEING. A human bodily function (that functions on its own). Jax has a problem with remembering to breathe, I was okay with the first two but then she kept on doing it throughout the entire book.... this is her ---->

I flat out didn't like Jace. He was really cruel to Lir and obviously that didn't fly with me.

Yes, I did enjoy his character in the beginning when he tries to comfort Jax, but that's it. I do understand his love for his only "sibling" left, but have some compassion to people, even if they are aliens. OH MY GOD. Didn't see that relationship coming with "so and so."

LIR.LIR.LIR.LIR.LIR.....

I LOVE LIR<3

yes, Lir was my favorite character, even when the end surprised me. Lir's personality is so funny, timid, cute, and breath-taking. His connection to Jax is amazing. THE DREAM SCENE. *dies from thinking about it*. I hope to see him a lot in the second book Fractured Suns (*cough* because of the ending of the first book) as much as we did in the first book. If you didn't catch on to it, Lir is an E'rikon. Which is the name of the aliens in this book. And he finds himself leaning on the lead heroine Jax, in order to get back to his city. They work together, whilst facing difficult challenges to survive. They end up really enjoying one an other.

I highly recommend this book if you are a fan of Under the Never Sky or the TV show Star Crossed. The plot is action packed, well developed characters, and the world building is phenomenal. What else could possibly be stopping you? Thank you Theresa  for allowing me to read this book early! I cannot wait to continue with this trilogy. This book easily earned a five stars.

March 16, 2016
You can read this review and more on my blog:
I received this book for free from the author in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

This story takes place several decades after humans have destroyed the earth, and aliens have invaded. The E’rikon don’t appear to be hostile, but that doesn’t mean that humans trust them either. They didn’t start rounding up the humans and turn them into slaves as soon as they landed so there is an unspoken truce between the two races, but it is a very shaky truce that can fall through at any time. As long as the E’rikon  and humans don’t mingle, things remain relatively peaceful. But the book wouldn’t be very entertaining if they didn’t start mingling, now would it?

The problems begin for our main character, Jax, when her twin brother is kidnapped by a couple of aliens. Somehow, one of the aliens, Lir, gets left behind, and Jax forms an alliance with him. She will help Lir get back home, and he will help her get into the alien city so she can rescue her brother.

They have an instant connection and an uneasy friendship that develops into a romance. Lir has a few secrets that both the reader and Jax discover over the course of their adventure. These secrets cause Jax to be understandably mistrusting if Lir, but because she doesn’t trust him, their relationship suffers. I felt like even though he kept secrets, Lir proved himself to be loyal to her by risking his life for her several times, but unfortunately, Jax will require more convincing than I do. Good thing he will probably get the chance in the next book.

Jax’s personal growth is really the main focus of this book. Her relationship with Lir is just one aspect of her life that she has to learn to deal with. She has suffered a terrible trauma that is alluded to throughout the book, but never fully explained. It is this trauma that is at the root of her mistrust of not only Lir, but everyone, and she has to learn how to let the pain go and work with others.

The only person she trust and is comfortable around, her brother, is missing for most of the story so she has to depend on herself and others if she wants to survive long enough to save him.

Over the course of one book she grew a lot and learned how to fight for what she wanted instead of just allowing her brother to take the lead.

If Lir was a very likable character. He’s charming and handsome, but he also has moments of vulnerability that make him easy to root for and identify with. He made plenty of mistakes, but he always tries to do the right thing, and his bravery is impressive.

This is definitely a series that I plan to continue. I have a feeling that I will enjoy the second instalment even more than the first. There are still plenty of questions left unanswered, and I want to know more about the things that I have already learned. I also need more of Jax and Lir’s romance.

This was an entertaining and easy to read Science Fiction novel with likable characters, but I do want less personal conflict between the main characters in the next instalment. I mean come on! Soulmates are supposed to trust each other. That’s the whole point of being soulmates.

Because of violence, I would recommend this book for ages 13 and up. It was very clean in the romance and language department.

Profile Image for Abooktopia.
56 reviews47 followers
October 23, 2016

This novel was beyond phenomenal and breathtaking! There was never a dull moment as I enthusiastically consumed the pages one after the other. The story line is addictive as you fall into a new world. I adored how Theresa Kay sets her story in a dystopian world mixed with science fiction.

In a world where humans are almost extinct, they co-existed with the aliens: E’rikon. But it is they own fault for their near extinction after the Collapse in which a biological weapon killed over ninety percent of the world’s population. The E’rikon leave the humans alone to do their own bidding's and do not mix with them. That is until Jax and her twin brother Jace come face to face with the E’rikon and Jace in naively kidnapped by the aliens. But one of the E’rikon; Lir has been left behind. Wittingly Jax strikes a deal with the green haired boy. If she helps Lir find his way back to the city, he must help her get past the barrier surrounding the Erikon’s home so she may rescue her brother and bring him to safety. She will stop at nothing to get him back, even if it means to die trying.

This novel was written solely from Jax’s point of view as she wisp us into her world. Throughout the novel her character develops and grows as she fights her emotional ordeals that were cause from her being traumatised prior to the setting. Due to her ordeals, she is fearful of others touching her except for her brother Jace, with whom she has a really strong bond with. As she travels with Lir, she slowly becomes comfortable enough for him to touch her without her having a panic attack.

Then there was Lir… I mean who doesn’t love an alien who hogs all the best dolls? His character was intriguing as I was fascinated with his hair, his eyes, and even his back as he had scales running up and done his backbone. I loved his motives, and finding out each new secret he was willing to unshed as the story progressed.

Broken Skies is a hidden gem in disguise, and I highly recommend this gripping novel. It is a story of survival that is heavily action packed and overall a fantastic well-written story. I believe that those who loved the Lux series by Jennifer L. Armentrout and The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey will enjoy this novel immensely. This is definitely a series that I must continue as I adored every moment. I have so many unanswered questions that I’d like to see in the sequel Fractured Suns as I look forward to exploring how Jax and Lir’s relationship develops.

***I received a copy of this book in return for an honest and unbiased review***
1,148 reviews25 followers
April 10, 2014
Detailed, intricately woven sci-fi with a refreshing Distopian edge

Drawn magnetically to this exciting book with its beautiful cover and intriguing storyline, I plunged in expectantly not knowing what wonders would await! As an avid reader and lover of the Young Adult genre and a fan of Divergent and The Hunger Games, I was thrilled to encounter a dazzling distopian novel of depth and substance. The combination of out-of-this-world concepts, inspired ideas and enchanting romance made this story a real winner in my mind and a compelling read. The extensive world building is deliciously detailed and deftly woven, so as to capture the settings so colourfully on the page that you are able to clearly envisage in your mind such an extraordinary fantasy. Theresa Kay also incorporates many classic science-fiction elements, such as mysterious Aliens and otherworldly advanced technology. With a strong female protagonist and an impacting background history, herein lies a highly believable storyline that’s undeniably convincing.

“Thirty years ago civilization collapsed. Few survived.
Ten years ago, the Aliens arrived…and stayed.
One year ago, I killed two men and went a little crazy
Today the Aliens took my brother and I will do anything to get him back…”

In seventeen-year-old Jax Mitchell's world, humans are nearly extinct and alien settlers have arrived. To rescue her brother she forms an uneasy alliance with a teenage E’rikon left stranded in the woods, and agrees to guide him to the city if he sneaks her past the human-proof barrier.
In this world where alien and human are at odds, the connection forming between the two of them has consequences, and what started off as a rescue mission sets a chain of events in motion which threatens not only the remaining humans and the growing alien society… but Earth itself!

I loved the romance between an Alien species and a human, which captured my curiosity in wanting to find out more about this unusual race. The tension and suspense built to an unforgettable cliffhanger ending that left me aghast, desperately miserable that the story had come to an end. The author’s vision of a future after the collapse of the human world as we know it was captivating, and so I favourably recommend this stirring story to readers of YA Dystopia/ sci-fi.
4.5 Stars

*I would like to thank the author for providing me with an e-copy of her novel ‘Broken Skies’ to read and write an honest, non-biased review on *

Profile Image for Lenore Kosinski.
2,254 reviews50 followers
July 15, 2017
I received a digital arc of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review....and now I may never recover.

Well....I am currently in epic book hangover mode. Not only did I stay up until the wee hours finishing this book, I have also just spent most of today sitting around, staring blankly at the walls, trying to recover. Have you ever watched the Sing-Off?? Shawn Stockman always talks about how when you hear a good song, sometimes you get the stank face (where it looks like you smelled something bad), b/c the song is just so good. This book gave me the stank face. And now I have the great burden of trying to figure out why I loved it so much so that you may also be convinced.

I haven't read a lot of sci-fi's, but not for lack of interest. More b/c I've been caught up in this paranormal trend, and so I just haven't sought out any recommendations for good sci-fi.

I'm not sure where I was going with that....let me start again. Characters. Characters are the meat of a book for me -- they will make or break a book on my personal taste scale. Well great big check mark there. I really fell in love with Jax....she was so damaged and broken, yet strong, sassy, willful.... And all the secondary characters were well developed....enough to make me intrigued by them -- Emily, Jace, Flint.... Even the bad guys effectively made me rage in hatred for them.

And then there's Lir. OH Lir. What were you thinking??? OK, I don't think I can talk about him b/c he made me feel so much and I'm still recovering. But seriously, the chemistry between Lir and Jax was off the charts....such a subtle build up, packed with the occasional roadblocks. Enough to make me fall for them as a couple and thus feel all the heart ripping out agony as they went through their troubles.

LOVED the world that Ms. Kay built. I could really visualize it, from the Bridgelake settlement, to the abandoned towns, to the alien city, and even the aliens themselves.

Now my only problem is that I need the next book NOW NOW NOW, and this book hasn't even been released yet. The conundrum of reading an arc. I guess that's not my only problem....my more immediate problem is -- what in the world am I going to read now??? Epic book hangover.
Profile Image for Sabrina Olteanu.
217 reviews26 followers
March 17, 2014
I received this book in exchange for my honest review. Thank you Itching for Books and Theresa Kay for giving me the opportunity to read Broken Skies.

I have a great admiration for self-published authors. It's hard writing a book and hearing the critics afterwards, but it's even harder to try and publish it yourself. It's a great deal and for that you need courage. But, that's only my opinion. Mostly, every book, every story I've read by know by self-published authors was good. But, this one really deserves a five star rating. I was great, the story flew well and it kept me on the edge wanting to read more. I didn't stop until I finished the book and now I want to find out more!

Try making a book with aliens to be a great success. Theresa did it, and she realized it with full glory! You have a lot of amazing characters, like Jax, and Lir, Emily, Jace, Flint. I couldn't find anything to annoy me, even with the bad guys. That's how great the story is. I don't want to give spoilers, I won't because you really have to read the book. It's an necessary read! I don't even have enough words to describe how amazing this book was. I highly recommend it to anyone you are going to love it! Thank you again for giving me the chance to read it!
Profile Image for Jenna.
1,604 reviews16 followers
May 12, 2014
First of all I look like crap I stayed up all night to finish this book.
I like the cover she looks like a Jax to me.

I didn't have to high expectations of this book, since I'm not a avid alien book lover. But tell you what I just added a green hair alien to my book -boyfriend list.

Jax is a 17 year old girl living in a world where 90% off the humans have died and where young woman are becoming rare. She lives in a compound with her brother Jace who is also her twin.

In this new world aliens/E’rikon live on earth to but segregated there's no interaction between them.

One day out at the lake Jace is taken by aliens and Jax will stop at nothing to get her brother back. Even forming an alliance with a E’rikon named Ril. Ril is has green hair and jewel-like scales for some reason Ril can touch Jax when almost nobody can. He 's the only one to help her when she's having panic attacks.

Jax and Jace play a big part in saving the world.

I loved the world building, the love building. I liked Ril even though I wanted kick his butt a couple of times because he made some dumb decisions. I don't want to wait 5 month for the sequel!!!! I need it now, today.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 326 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.