Start by marking “A World Without Heroes: The Modern Tragedy” as Want to Read:
A World Without Heroes: The Modern Tragedy

A World Without Heroes: The Modern Tragedy

This ringing defense of Christianity, humorous, insightful and uncompromising, takes careful and timeless aim at those ideas which Roche claims have shriveled the will of the West. 9 cassettes.
Published January 1st 1987 by Hillsdale College Press

To ask other readers questions about A World Without Heroes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A World Without Heroes

Norm Konzelman
Feb 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The method for suicide of western civilization.
An extensive examination of what the author calls the 'anti-hero', and not nearly so much of the hero and the spirit of heroism.
The work delves deeply into history for the source of the beliefs, really philosophies, of the anti-hero clearly showing that, as my preacher said, “people believe a thing, because they believe it”. Having nothing to do with fact or the truth. A result is wished for, so a conclusion is created to result in an outcome to pro
James Johnson
Dec 03, 2013 rated it did not like it
The author has arbitrarily determined that believing in god is heroic and not believing is anti-heroic. His arguments were vapid and his conclusions were biased. Roche was making moral assumptions that were not necessarily true and attempting to find ways to vilify any persons who he deemed did not agree with his theology.

It was certainly ironic to read the author's criticisms of sexual depravity only to discover that during the time he wrote this book and for another 12 years (until she committ
Jeff
Jan 21, 2017 rated it did not like it
I'm not a scientist but I read science and listen to science podcasts and with the information I've gleaned from these channels I was easily able to refute most of the misguided author's arguments against Darwin, evolution, and general science which took up the last third of the book. Granted, the book was written in the late 80s and there have been advances in microbiology, genetics, and almost every other branch of science which the author was unaware of at the time this book was written.

The
Brian
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have been reading more of these philosophy-oriented books. It's not the best for audiobooks, because the ideas aren't given in a narrative and thus the book requires a fair bit of thought to follow. I enjoyed thinking about the illogical side of logically-derived determinism. I also hadn't thought of evolution as religious ideology. The idea of sciencism is also quite interesting to me right now: treating science as a belief system. I see this in my own field of study when smart people get an ...more
Bob
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Excellent book, although a little dated as he references current events & movements that are no longer current (copy right 1987). This book is right up there with “The Culture of Narcissism: American Life in an Age of Diminishing Expectations” by Christopher Lasch & “The Closing of the American Mind: How Higher Education Has Failed Democracy and Impoverished the Souls of Today's Students” by philosopher Allan Bloom. Very well written & thought provoking work.
thethousanderclub
May 31, 2013 rated it liked it
Adam C. Zern shares his thoughts . . .

"I learned of this book while listening to a speech by Dallin H. Oaks. He referenced a particular quote from the book and I became interested. George Roche, the author, was president of Hillsdale college at one time.

The subject matter of the book deals with what the author considers very counter-productive and even destructive modern philosophies, which he labels "anti-hero." Most of his commentaries, for that is what the book mainly is, are lucid and his a
Chris White
Sep 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
It's true that the gifts and call of God are irrevocable. It's also true that ignorance is bliss. I did not know until I finished what amounts to a magnum opus on thinking that Dr. Roche was embroiled in scandal toward the end of his life--so I read the book with open heart and mind, and for that I feel I have been rewarded.

This is an amazing work. While some of it is dated (in regard to the Soviet Union), some parts are eerily prophetic, and indeed resound full and round into our times, into t
D.A. Cairns
Jul 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
A terrific book full of stuff I wish I could remember to support my own arguments. Lots of great quotes. A bit preachy, and the author lost me when he bagged all modern art and music as basically degenerate. He would hate what I'm listening to now.
A very solid defense of the Christian world view.
Leila Bowers
Aug 24, 2011 marked it as to-read
Great so far - learning about everything from the Theory of Relativity to anti-hero and beyond.
Cole
Jan 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
Why heroes are important, the culture in which they thrive, and how to raise my boys to think, act, and be everyday heroes.
Chrisanne
Nov 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Comes a little stronger than I would put it, but I really liked his imagery, quotes, and analogies.
Rusty
Jun 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
A prose on the anti-hero (mass man) and the defeatist culture that threatens to spread the viruses of apathy, mediocrity and immorality through our culture.
Mark
Jun 23, 2012
Stephen
Jan 20, 2013
Genesis
rated it did not like it
May 31, 2013
Dec 13, 2014
Andrea
Dec 30, 2014
Goodreads Librari...: Please add cover.... 3 19 Jan 16, 2017 05:33AM
George Charles Roche III (May 16, 1935 – May 5, 2006) was the 11th president of Hillsdale College, serving from 1971 to 1999.

Roche received his bachelor's degree from Regis College (now Regis University) in 1956. He later received a masters and Ph.D. from the University of Colorado.

Prior to becoming president of Hillsdale College Roche was a professor at the Colorado School of Mines. He also work