Start by marking “Hockey Card Stories: True Tales from Your Favorite Players” as Want to Read:
Hockey Card Stories: True Tales from Your Favorite Players

Hockey Card Stories: True Tales from Your Favorite Players

(Hockey Card Stories #1)

Hockey Card Stories reveals what was really going on in your favourite old hockey cards through the eyes of the players depicted on them. Some of the cards are definitely worth a few bucks, some a few cents — but every story told here is priceless. Sportsnet’s Ken Reid presents the cards you loved and the airbrushed monstrosities that made you howl, the cards that have been packe ...more
Published October 14th 2014 by ECW Press (first published October 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Hockey Card Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hockey Card Stories

Start your review of Hockey Card Stories: True Tales from Your Favorite Players
Karlene
Jan 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
"A time machine on cardboard."

Not a fan of Sportsnet at all, but Ken Reid does a fantastic job of giving these hockey cards from the 70s, 80s and 90s a second-life. Each hockey card literally tells a story, through an interview with the player about that game, that year, or what's going on with that card.

At first I was a bit put off because I didn't recognize many of the players. But this book isn't necessarily about the players. It's about the stories behind the cards, l
Ben
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sports
This book is full of interesting anecdotes and factoids, but it will not sate a hockey fan who wants to take a deep dive into the history of hockey cards. The prime focus here is the players and their stories about individual cards Reid interviews them about. Topics range from errors on cards, commenting on hairstyles far too often, equipment, and bits of trivia only the elite of hockey nerds will get a kick out of.

It would benefit the author to go through his material and remove repeated menti
Page Resonation
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
I expected more than stories about funny hairstyles that were totally in fashion in the seventies so not actually funny. I expected more stories about what the players were doing and feeling in general. There was a little of that (one man was listed as a general manager but never actually got the job) but mostly it was hair, airbrushed clothing and misspellings. The big issue was the audio version wasn't just the narrator reading. It was strange sound effects (phones ringing, doors shutting, ru ...more
Benjamin Kahn
May 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sports
A light, enjoyable read. Sportnet's Ken Reid, an avid hockey card collector, takes several cards from his collection and tracks down the featured players and the stories behind them. Some are more interesting than others, some have more of a story about their card and the reaction to it. Nothing that in-depth, nothing that life changing, a little too much "sweet haircut/moustache/uniform." But there is enough of interest here that it's worth putting up with all the talk about haircuts and facial ...more
Joe Seliske
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was like a trip down memory lane when I was a young adult keeping up with the goings on in the NHL. I remember the airbrushed photos and "Now with the...." comments but I didn't know that O-Pee-Chee swapped heads and bodies as well. I lived in London for almost seven years in the 1980s and used to walk by the old O-Pee-Chee building on my way to the comic book store. My dad worked there as a teenager way back in the 1930s. I couldn't put the book down.
Dave Harrison
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
A pretty neat read! Ken does a good job delving into the back story on many cards from the 70's-early 90's. Clearly this is the start of a great series and I look forward to seeing more offerings in the future. Each card has about 3-4 pages devoted to it and that makes this book easy to read or put down if you are needed elsewhere.
Amanda
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was unexpectedly awesome. I loved seeing the old cards and hearing the stories behind them from the author and also from the player. The writing was a little "choppy" at times but the book was still very enjoyable.
Dave Johnson
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-loan
Kinda cool to see a few cards I own/ traded away in there. Interesting idea for a book, and some of the interviews seemed pretty fun. It's good to hear from alumni that weren't so famous or well known, or who may not be well known to younger fans.
Mylie Bucyrus
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
The stories got a tad repetitive by the end, but this was a really enjoyable and quick read that helped scratch my hockey card collecting itch!
Grace
Jan 22, 2016 rated it liked it
I was given this book for free from the author. Thoughts and opinions are my own.

It is no secret that Canada lives and breathes hockey. It is a part of the culture and the spirit of being Canadian. It is as Canadian as poutine and the loonie.

Publishers in Canada know this as well. So as the wind begins to chill and the season begins anew with the hopes and dreams of a nation, without fail, Canadian publishers release a ‘hockey book.’

Seriously. An agent once told me that for pu
Andrew
Apr 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I remember finding a unique hockey card when I was in high school – the Canadiens' Jacques Lemaire, wearing a brightly colored Buffalo Sabres jersey. As a Sabres fan, I wondered if I missed hearing about a trade that would bring a fantastic player into our fold. No – he was still with the Habs. I also wondered how they managed to get the player to pose in a different jersey. (At the time, I was unaware of airbrushing, the pre-laptop equivalent of Photoshop.)

In “Hockey Card Stories”,
David
Jan 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Pretty fun read. I was a little worried in the beginning. Seemed like all the interviews with the former players amounted to "I don't remember that picture being taken" and "It was great to be in the NHL." But, it got better and deeper as it went along. There ended up being a lot of interesting and unknown (to me) stories. Some of the hockey cards the author talked about, I used to have and he was pointing out details that I never thought twice about before. And, of course, there were some quirk ...more
Eileen Sateriale
Disclaimer: I received this book for free in a Goodreads Giveway. This is a first read copy.

Hockey Card Stories is a fun read about a hockey card collector. As a boy, Ken Reid collected hockey cards. In the book, he actually interviews the people who are featured on the hockey cards and gives their take on the card. Reid sets up the book like a hockey card file with penalty minute players, goaltenders and hall of famers, the defunct World Hockey Association, even cards that were airbrushed when
Terry Ryan
Oct 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
I loved the way Ken used hockey cards to link us to his past. He's a passionate guy and these stories are cool to begin with; I can identify as I was a hockey card collector from Atlantic Canada as well.

I hope this book does well - its unique, funny, and the stories are told by a great storytellsr. Put it this way; I'm not sure if everyone will love it like me, but I can't see anyone NOT liking it. A no-brainer for any sports fan who enjoys the lighter side of the game. I directly hits on some
miketheboy89
Oct 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A great insight into incredible and hilarious tales from the cardboard. Sportsnet analyst Ken Reid interviews former NHLers who have great tales about their own cards. Reid interviews both legends and players who had careers of only one game. One downside is the limited span of years on the cards, most being from the 70s-80s. I would have liked to see some newer ones, but all in all, an interesting perspective on one of the country's most popular hobbies.
Sheldon Bungay
Nov 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this fabulous offering from Ken! As a huge hockey fan and card collector from Atlantic Canada, i could relate so well to many of the stories and situations that Ken shared. I also loved how this first book (I hope there are more to follow) stayed away from some of the cards I assumed would be included (I.e. Gretzky, Lemieux etc.), great stuff!
Christopher
Dec 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
Good. Author from eastern Canada, and slightly younger than me. Thus, he used OPC cards, and talked about players that I did not know. Other than that, a fun book. Good for hockey fans and card collectors.
Jan
Dec 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is a very fun read if you're a major hockey nerd. It's full of great and fun stories of players' experiences in the NHL, told with quite of humor. And, of course, it has photos of all the hockey cards these wonderful stories stem from.
Jamin Melanson
Nov 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hockey
A great recap of hockey cards and the stories behind them. Recommend to any hockey fan. Ken Reid does a great job at making the stories come alive. As well, he adds humor to keep the reader engaged.
Sep 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, sports
A fun read, but I didn't love it. There definitely were a lot of different players and teams represented, which was nice.

Received from NetGalley.
Mar 28, 2015 rated it liked it
It was fun. Quick read. Nothing earth-shattering.
Jamie
Aug 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Love this. Hope there is a sequel.
Jordon
Mar 09, 2018
Steve Moehl
Sep 22, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• There Will Come a Darkness (The Age of Darkness, #1)
  • Flight or Fright: 17 Turbulent Tales
  • Delicate Edible Birds and Other Stories
  • A Better Place on Earth
  • The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)
  • We Hunt the Flame (Sands of Arawiya, #1)
  • Beauty Tips from Moose Jaw: Travels in Search of Canada
  • 99: Stories of the Game
  • Golden State
  • The "Down Goes Brown" History of the NHL: The World's Most Beautiful Sport, the World's Most Ridiculous League
  • The Bitterroots (Cassie Dewell, #4)
  • Dead North (Sam Williams #1)
  • The Southpaw (Henry Wiggen #1)
  • Shoot for the Moon: The Space Race and the Extraordinary Voyage of Apollo 11
  • Land of Wolves (Walt Longmire, #15)
  • Cave of Bones (Leaphorn & Chee #22)
  • The Jury Master (David Sloane, #1)
  • The King's Men (All for the Game, #3)

Hockey Card Stories (2 books)
  • Hockey Card Stories 2: 59 More True Tales from Your Favourite Players