Start by marking “Keep Your Friends Close” as Want to Read:
Keep Your Friends Close

Keep Your Friends Close

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  3,524 Ratings  ·  519 Reviews
Shortlisted for the CWA Gold Dagger for Best Crime Novel of the Year

From breakout thriller writer Paula Daly, the story of a husband and wife and the devious best friend who comes between them.

Natty and Sean have a rock-solid marriage—with two daughters, a successful business, and a beautiful house, they are a model family. When their younger daughter falls ill on a school
Published August 19th 2014 by Grove Press (first published March 13th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Keep Your Friends Close, please sign up.
Joy
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Sep 04, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-2014
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

WARNING: THIS REVIEW CONTAINS MINOR SPOILERS (MUCH LIKE THE SYNOPSIS) - BUT I’M DOING YOU A FAVOR BY SAVING YOU FROM READING A GIANT CRAPFEST

Sometimes it’s perfectly A-okay to judge a book by its cover. The cover of Keep Your Friends Close should have been my first clue that I would not end up raving about the high quality of the story contained inside. Oh well, live and learn.

The remainder of this review is brought to you by

Seriously
"It is perhaps just as well that handguns are illegal in the UK. Because if I had access to one, if I had it hidden in the wardrobe, kept in a box beneath the bed in case an intruder should break in during the night, I'd have already taken that gun and put it to Eve's head. I'd have blown her pretty skull wide open in front of whoever happened to be nearby. Probably blown apart her stomach, took her kneecaps off too while I was at it."

"I pull out the honyaki knife from it's case and examine th
Elyse Walters
Jun 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The novel, "The Mistake I Made", by Paul Daly, comes out Sept. 2015. I'm excited to see people reading it when the book hits the stores.

I've enjoyed every book by Paula Daly. I like the pyschological suspense stories she writes with characters that feel 'All-American'...people with struggles.

In "The Mistake I Made" --the story 'reminds' me (a little) of the theme in the movie, "Indecent Proposal" with Demi Moore and Robert Redford. (but not exactly)

In this book, "Keep Your Friends Close", the
Rachael
Mar 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Please skip my review if you're offended by bad language.

Hmmmm... I’m very torn on this one.

This is the story of Natty and Sean, a couple whose marriage is torn apart by the Natty's best friend who isn’t exactly who she says she is. Eve will go to any length to get her man, then she’ll move on to the next one, but Natty wants a little revenge when she finds out the real story of Eve.

It was a fun read, everyone in it is pretty much batshit crazy or just plain unlikeable, which isn’t necessarily a
Ami
May 12, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I rarely quote from books in my reviews, mostly because I'm just too lazy to transcribe, but this sentence so clearly sums up the thesis of this Fatal-Attraction-esque novel that I couldn't resist:

and if you don't give marriage the attention it needs, cracks appear, and there's sure to be some ruthless woman in the wings, willing to put her integrity to one side, willing to take what's yours in a heartbeat.

I read this book, as you can imagine, with a sort of delighted horror. Could someone, in
Samantha
Apr 16, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2014-books
Before I even start this review, can we just talk about the cover?? Um….

It might be a good idea to judge Paula Daly’s “Keep Your Friends Close” by its cover. Seriously, it goes to crazy town. And not the good crazy town of “Gone Girl,” but more like the half-baked realm of Lifetime. Honestly, this actually would have probably made for a better Lifetime movie than novel (though, I guarantee they already have a film with this exact plot).

Hard-working mother who is focused on success career loses t
Lisa
Jun 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Another clever tale from Paula Daly! She kept me guessing right to the end. I listened to the audio version, and the narrator was very good. I would have liked just a bit more info on some of the characters at the end of the story. This isn't to say that there were any loose threads, but I did want to know what happened to certain people. A "six months later" chapter would have possibly bumped this up another star. But I really liked it, and I definitely recommend this book and her other one, Ju ...more
Judy Collins
A special thank you to Grove Atlantic, for a complimentary copy, in exchange for an honest review. (I also purchased the e-book as could not wait. Well worth it)!

Paula Daly’s KEEP YOUR FRIENDS CLOSE is an addictive, intense, and riveting suspense of marriage, family, obsession, betrayal, lies, and dark secrets . . . keeping you glued to the pages of this psychological thriller.

Set in England’s Lake District, Natasha (Natty) Wainwright is married to Sean, with two teenage daughters, (16 yr. o
Myrna
Dec 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
This book grabbed me from beginning. The characters are great. Paula Daly writes the protagonist and antagonist so well! You root for the victim and detest the villain. The author is also clever with the twists and turns weaved throughout. I wanted more from the ending but alas, I’m not the author. Still a great book! 4.75+ stars rounding to 5!
Raven
Mar 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having read and favourably reviewed Paula Daly’s first novel. Just What Kind of Mother Are You? last year, it was with a great sense of anticipation that Keep Your Friends Close dropped into my lap. And remained there for the course of one night- and early hours of the morning- as this wonderfully warped tale of familial loyalty, and twisted friendship, kept me reading…and reading…and reading…

I think what Daly achieves with this book is the sense of how ordinary and humdrum domestic life, with i
Cleo Bannister
Open the book and meet the rather intimidating, controlled woman who is Natty Wainwright whose marriage is so successful she runs an upmarket hotel with her husband Sean. Married young, the couple have two teenage daughters, Alice and Felicity and an enviable lifestyle completed by a beautiful home and expensive cars.

Dr Eve Dalladay; beautiful and always perfectly dressed she is also successful psychologist with her own practice is one of Natty’s oldest friends. Eve is visiting when Natty gets t
Lee
Mar 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Natty, her husband Sean and daughter Lily lead a wonderful life. Natty and Sean have a rock solid mariage and life is ideal. But how solid is solid? Sometimes it doesn'matter how things seem, they can be broken, enter Natty's long term friend Eve. Lily becomes ill in France and Natty leaves to be with her, leaving Sean at home with Eve. What could go wrong? Eve is not a nice girl, she knows what she wants and she goes after it. This really was a page turner, full of suspence, a very satisfying r ...more
Paul
Apr 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime-thrillers
Keep Your Friends Close – Seriously Twisted Seriously Brilliant

Keep Your Friends Close by Paula Daly is one seriously twisted seriously brilliant psychological thriller that hits all the right buttons so close to the real world it is frightening. There are more twists and turns than on your average mountain path with just as much danger that keeps you on edge throughout the book. Paula Daly hits a nerve early in the book with an seriously ill child on a school trip, every parents nightmare, from
Liz Barnsley
Jan 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Coming March 2014 from Bantam Press

Thank you to both author and publisher for the Advance Reading Copy.

Natty and Sean Wainwright are happily married. Rock solid in fact. So when Natty’s oldest friend, Eve Dalladay, appears – just as their daughter collapses on a school trip in France – Natty has no qualms about leaving Eve with Sean to help out at home.

This was one of those times – Last year I read Paula Daly’s first novel “Just What Kind of Mother Are You” and I loved it – in fact I would say i
sue
Mar 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley, mystery
I read What Kind of Mother are You? by this author and was blown away. Truly, I was hooked.

So when this book came up for me to read and review as a complimentary book I took it with both hands and started reading it almost right away.

I can honestly say that this book is just as good as the one I read before. It had the same gripping effect on me, I was truly quite moody when I had to put my Kindle down when I had things to do. It was like interrupting me in the middle of a movie!

I will be foll
Janet
Nov 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Another really good read from the pen of Paula Daly. I enjoyed her first book Just What Kind Of Mother Are You and equally enjoyed this one.

A book about a mother of two girls who works herself into the ground to keep up the facade of perfection. Everything has to be just so, from the girls, her place of work to her house. However, the one thing she sometimes puts on the back burner a little is her husband which as is turns out is going to be a big downfall. Enter stage left, Eve, a supposedly g
Diane S ☔
Mar 24, 2014 rated it liked it
2.5 Started out strong but quickly became an overwrought and over done cliche. Something with the writing did not resonate and the characters remained very one dimensional. Loved her first boo, will read her again but hope for a better offering than this one.

ARC from NetGalley.
Brittany
Jul 02, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Thriller fans
How I Came To Read This Book: I received a free copy for review from the publisher.

The Plot: Natty and Sean Wainwright have an idyllic life; they run an extremely successful inn, live in a massive home, and have two wonderful children, Alice and Felicity. In fact, they've basically been able to prove everyone wrong that was aghast when they announced they were pregnant at 19. Just as Natty's old college mate Eve Dalladay shows up for a visit, Natty is torn away to resolve a family crisis elsewhe
Dawn
Mar 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was sent a copy of this novel by Alison Barrow, publicist for Transworld in exchange for an honest review as part of Paula Daly's Blog Tour.

Where do I begin wow!! I truly loved this book it was gripping from almost the first page, so much so that I felt bereft when it had finished. I took this book away with me for the weekend and found it difficult to put down. I hadn't read Paula's first novel but now have it on my kindle ready to devour when I know I have a free afternoon. If it's anything
Maggie61
Great story. I read Paula Daly's first novel and enjoyed it immensely. This one as well. It kept me riveted and reading intensely to the last page. And while I feel I should be horrified by Natty's last act of revenge, I found myself smiling and elated that Eve would finally get what she was due.
After all, do we really know how far we would go to protect our family, how far we would go to hurt or react to someone who you knew but couldn't prove was evil? And you were the only one that believed
Denise
After reading & loving Just What Kind of Mother Are You, I couldn't wait to read this latest release. Keep Your Friends Close is a brilliantly written psychological drama, I was drawn into the story from the first page and totally gripped throughout.

If you're looking for a gripping, unputdownable read and also enjoy psychological page-turners, I can highly recommend this book.
I have read some superb books in this genre recently and this is my favourite to date. I can't wait for the next bo
❤Marie Gentilcore
This book was wicked fun. It had betrayal, lies, adultery, a sick child, death of a father; it was packed with so much and grabbed me right away. This is my second book by Paula Daly and this one was even better than the first. It reminded me a little bit of Liane Moriarty in the way that it combined humor and serious topics. I look forward to reading more books by this author.
Victoria Goldman
Jun 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Keep Your Friends Close is a great psychological thriller and I was absorbed into the story straight away. I was completely gripped and read the book in a couple of hours during one quiet Saturday afternoon.

Natty and Sean think they have a happy marriage until her old university friend Eve decides to pay them a visit. When their teenage daughter Felicity is suddenly taken ill in France, Natty rushes to be by her side - leaving Sean and Eve together at the family home with Felicity's older sister
Cheryl
Aug 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
I read this author's first book, Just What Kind of Mother Are You?. It was fine. what drew me to this one was the book cover, the book summary, and again the fact that the prior novel was fine. I have to say this book was by far way better then the prior one. If you are wanting to know what this author is like then check out this book. I could not stop reading this book. Although to be honest, I thought that Sean was a douche and thus did not feel that sorry for Natty. I thought she could do way ...more
~☆~Autumn♥♥
Mar 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is probably the best book I have read so far this year. It was very exciting right up to the very last sentence. I recommend it for everyone and plan to read her other book as soon as I can get it.
Jessica (secretlifeofbooklover)
Non ho mai odiato tanto un personaggio come quello di Eve... Ho divorato questo libro perchè volevo troppo arrivare alla fine e vedere come andava a finire!
*sorrisino sul finale*

Recensione completa su The secret life of a book
Clair Sharpe
Not amazing classic fiction but a good psychological tale, with believable characters and good plot twists that keep you guessing to the end.
Anne
Mar 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My copy of Keep Your Friends Close arrived yesterday, sent by Alison Barrow from the publisher Transworld. In the early hours of this morning I was still reading, utterly gripped and with those conflicting feelings that all bibliophiles will recognise; the desperate need to get to the end, so see what is going to happen, and that feeling of loss that once it's finished, it's finished.
I did haul myself off to bed and resumed reading this morning at 7.30am and didn't look up again for another two
Gina
Many reviewers compared this book to a bad Lifetime movie but I totally disagree. This kept me on the edge of my seat, reading late into the night, wanting to know what crazy Eve was going to do next to ruin Natty. Although there were some sudden leaps into action that probably wouldn't happen in the real world and both women had reactions to each other's behavior that was over the top, you have to remember that the book is about a woman (Natty) whose college friend (Eve) drops in from a visit f ...more
Erin
Jan 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I feel humiliated.
I feel embarrassed. I couldn't keep hold of my husband. I don't feel wronged, or righteous, I'm ashamed. I can hear what people will be saying; 'If he was getting some at home, he wouldn't have gone elsewhere. And 'She's always looked down her nose, it's about time she got was coming to her.'

Has my heart calmed down after that ending? Will I be able to pick my jaw up off the floor? If "Keep Your Friends Close", was a movie I took a date too, he probably would have
Goodreads Librari...: 978-0-8021-2320-6 2 131 Nov 06, 2014 03:12PM
  • The Swimming Pool
  • Who Are You?
  • Closing In
  • Until You're Mine (DCI Lorraine Fisher #1)
  • Addicted: A sexy, riotous summer bonkbuster
  • The Broken
  • Tarnished
  • No Other Darkness (DI Marnie Rome, #2)
  • The Sacrificial Man (Cate Austin, #2)
  • Never Look Back (DI Mike Lockyer, #1)
  • Don't Stand So Close
  • Scare Me
  • Take Another Look
  • The Secrets We Keep
  • Frozen Stiff (Mattie Winston Mysteries, #3)
  • Requiem Mass (DCI Andrew Fenwick, #1)
  • My Vacation in Hell
  • A Cry In The Night

Paula Daly is the acclaimed author of five novels. Her work has been sold in fifteen countries, shortlisted for CWA Gold Dagger Crime Novel of the Year award, and her books are currently being developed into the ITV drama - Deep Water - set to air in 2019. She was born in Lancashire and lives in the Lake District with her husband, three children, and whippet Skippy.

“If you bungle raising your children,’ she said, ‘I don’t think whatever else you do well matters very much.” 0 likes