Start by marking “Going Om: Real-Life Stories On and Off the Yoga Mat” as Want to Read:
Going Om: Real-Life Stories On and Off the Yoga Mat

Going Om: Real-Life Stories On and Off the Yoga Mat

With candid, witty, and compelling experiences of yoga from renowned memoirists, including Cheryl Strayed (author of the number-one New York Times bestseller Wild), Claire Dederer (author of national bestseller Poser: My Life in 23 Yoga Poses), Dinty W. Moore (author of The Accidental Buddhist), Neal Pollack (author of Stretch: The Making of a Yoga Dude) and many others, G ...more
Published September 9th 2014 by Viva Editions (first published August 1st 2014)

Travel Writing
Lovely collection of essays that span from managing a mother with Alzheimers, to being the first college graduate, to relationships, to being heavy, divorce, kids, dogs, pain, death, life and the yogi-who-hates-to-call-himsefl-a-yogi. All touching back to yoga in all of it's marvelous incantations.

The framework of four topics: Breath- Balance- Sweat- Let Go gave a luscious flow to the chapters and had some sparkling surprises and only a few (for me) essays that landed with a thud.

Quotes that wer
Jeanette Jay
Dec 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a gem: the stories range from madly funny (love the Broga & The, Um, Sexy Yoga essays) to heartbreaking and poignant (Elizabeth Kadetsky's story about her mother with Alzheimer's is particularly raw and real). Like a playlist of beautiful songs, each essay is different and yet they all make the reader realize that we're all just on this journey, fumbling as we go, looking to take a deep breath or two. I've only taken a couple yoga classes here or there--mainly practice meditatio ...more
Glen
Dec 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was a bit sceptical of a Yoga anthology, particularly as the authors were referred to as 'Literati', but the book really worked. I liked the way the anthology was split up into 16 short stories based on: Breathe, Balance, Sweat, and Let Go. A number of great Yoga tales, both on, and off the mat.
Gloria
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cheesy title, lovely book. Short, well-written true stories about being the other woman, being overweight, being your mother’s caregiver, etc. While they’re written around the yoga theme, I felt many stories could have ditched the yoga references and been even stronger. Overall though, thoroughly enjoyable.
Susan
May 27, 2018 rated it liked it
A few essays are five stars, and a few are one stars. I figured this is the average!
Ashley Auspelmyer
Jan 29, 2018 rated it liked it
I'd give it 3.5 - some essays were quite good.
Aisling
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was one of the nicest and most inspiring books I've read recently and is probably one of the better collections of essays I've read in some years.

Though the title might lead you to believe that you need to be an advanced yoga person to comprehend or get involved in the essays, this is not true. The people who wrote these essays so clearly poured their souls into their writing, showing how a routine of yoga was a background to some momentous parts of their lives.

Some of these essays are sad
Ann Boytim
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was a collection of stories concerning yogis and what direction their lives went after practicing yoga. The editor Melissa Carroll is a yoga instructor at the studio I belong to and she is amazing. Anyone in the Tampa Bay Area needs to visit to the Lotus Pond Studio, not only is it is a peaceful setting it has an amazing group of teachers for all levels of students.
Tommy
Nov 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Like most collections featuring multiple essays by a variety of writers, there's something here for everyone (at least, those who appreciate and practice yoga), and chapters one will likely choose to gloss over or skip completely. And that's okay. After all, yoga practice is about finding what works for you, and this book is no different in that regard.

I listened to the Audible audiobook, and the narrators were quite good, well suited for the material. This helped immensely, because talking abo
Lowry
Feb 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
A pleasure. I love thoughtful personal essays and these were that.
Lydia
Jan 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-stars, yoga
I read this book to better prepare myself for a yoga teacher training course I will soon be starting, so as to gain a better perspective of why students join yoga classes and what their many insights are. In this sense, it is a good book to read - as a bonus you can read each chapter separately or out of order as each chapter is written by a different author. The book is separated into four sections - Breathe, Balance, Sweat, and Let Go; 4-5 stories per section. My favorite was written by Amy Mo ...more
Jeanette Jay
Nov 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful collection! Some of these stories made me bust out laughing (like Claire Dederer's essay and Shaw's "Broga") while others (like Ira's "Body Replies" and Elizabeth Kadetsky's story about her mother with Alzheimer's) brought me to tears. I love the range in voices. Even though each story is its own separate perspective, I kept wanting to read quickly straight through to hear what next gift of insight or what new voice would come through on the page.
Deb
Jan 29, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What yoga means to an individual is as unique as that person. This is a fun, quick read of diverse essays.

And really, how could one not enjoy a book with this:

"I also like to think that your first yoga session is a lot like your first time watching Doctor Who. That first style, much like your first Doctor, is the one you imprint on and the one against which all future styles and Doctors are measured."
Monique
Jul 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't really decide between 3 stars & 4...so let's go with 4. There were only 2 of the essays that I just could NOT read. I was turned off to the one by an author named "Dinty Moore" but I got thru that one. I won't tell which 2 I didn't read...I'll leave that knowledge elsewhere. As a collection, I thought these were well collected & diverse.
Kathryn West
May 07, 2015 rated it liked it
I got this book because Cheryl Strayed did the foreword. I love her and thought if she was involved it would be good. The book is about what yoga has brought to the lives of people, mostly writers. Some of the stories were good, some I didn't enjoy. Nothing very profound.
Carrie Ridgeway
The story that stood out the most to me was Elizabeth Kadetsky's story about her Mom who had Alzheimers, and her sister who was seriously depressed. It was tough to listen to. I hope I remember, if I'm ever the caregiver for a loved one, to remember this story and take heart from it.
Robin Zappavigna
LOVED this book. Each story was distinct from the others and they all had something interesting to offer. Found most of it uplifting and all of it entertaining in some way.
MM
Apr 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Essays - Interesting "takes" on yoga practice
Gillian Rodriguez
Jun 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Many inspirational stories about people from all walks of life and how yoga fits in.
Kendra
Feb 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
3.5
Ardenchild
Enjoyed most of the stories. A few seemed a bit long to me. Overall I enjoyed reading this book.
Tracy
Nov 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Lots of great stories about a person's relationship with yoga.
Meaghan Alvarado
May 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Lovely collection of short stories from people affected by yoga.
Randi
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
From the Balanced...: Connections 1 2 Aug 09, 2017 10:57AM
  • The Yoga of Cleaning: An Essential Guide
  • Hip Tranquil Chick: A Guide to Life On and Off the Yoga Mat
  • The Secret Power of Yoga: A Woman's Guide to the Heart and Spirit of the Yoga Sutras
  • Living Your Yoga: Finding the Spiritual in Everyday Life
  • Teaching Yoga: Essential Foundations and Techniques
  • Yoga and the Path of the Urban Mystic
  • Stretch: The Unlikely Making of a Yoga Dude
  • The Wisdom of Yoga: A Seeker's Guide to Extraordinary Living
  • Yoga Beyond Belief: Insights to Awaken and Deepen Your Practice
  • The Subtle Body: The Story of Yoga in America
  • The Language Of Yoga: Complete A To Y Guide To Āsana Names, Sanskrit Terms, And Chants
  • Yoga and the Pursuit of Happiness: A Guide to Finding Joy in Unexpected Places
  • A Life Worth Breathing: A Yoga Master's Handbook of Strength, Grace, and Healing
  • Yoga for Wellness: Healing with the Timeless Teachings of Viniyoga
  • Bringing Yoga to Life: The Everyday Practice of Enlightened Living
  • Do Your Om Thing: Bending Yoga Tradition to Fit Your Modern Life
  • Yoga The Spirit And Practice Of Moving Into Stillness
  • 40 Days to Personal Revolution: 40 Days to Personal Revolution
Melissa Carroll is a writer, yoga teacher (RYT 200hr) and creative writing instructor at The University of Tampa. Melissa is the editor of Going OM: Real-Life Stories on and off the Yoga Mat (Viva Editions 2014), which features candid and witty essays by NYT bestsellers Dani Shapiro, Suzanne Morrison, Neal Pollack, Claire Dederer, and many more, with a foreword by Cheryl Strayed (author of Wild). ...more