Start by marking “How to Eat (Mindfulness Essentials, #2)” as Want to Read:
How to Eat (Mindfulness Essentials, #2)

How to Eat (Mindfulness Essentials #2)

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  930 Ratings  ·  86 Reviews
Eating is a chance to return to the present moment.

How to Eat is the second in Parallax’s series of how-to titles by Zen Master Thich Nhat Hanh. These friendly, pocket-sized books contain several delightful illustrations by Jason DeAntonis, and are appropriate for those practicing in any spiritual tradition and all levels of familiarity with mindfulness practice.

How to Eat
Published August 26th 2014 by Parallax Press (first published July 2nd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about How to Eat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Eat

BlackBookie
Jan 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
We are made of ancestors, culture, food, air, and water. We are made of form, feelings, perceptions, mental formations and consciousness.

I love the mindfulness series. (:
Sian Lile-Pastore
Oct 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookery-and-food
Well, I continue to crush on Thich Nhat Hanh, have you seen him in his little woolly hat? cer-ute!
This is a lovely little book, which you could pop in your pocket and then take out and read something inspiring whenever needed.
It's all about mindfulness and mindful eating, it's about taking your time when you eat and appreciating your food. Also, 'Your body is not yours. It is a gift and a responsibility.' which made me feel a little guilty as my body likes wine and is a little chubby....
Jan 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommended to Laura by: Faibka on Litsy
Neat little book with lots of information on how to eat more mindfully. I found myself interested in Faibka's (a Litsy reader) posts from this book. While this is presented from a Zen perspective, I did take away many useful tidbits on how to eat in a more meaningful way. From grocery shopping to washing the dishes, Thich Nhat Hanh touches on every aspect of eating. It is a quick read. I give it 3 1/2 stars.
Hepburn
Aug 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014_books
I am a huge fan of Thich Nhat Hanh. His latest book, "How to eat," reminds me how important mindful eating is:

Eating is "a chance to return to the present moment and stop the rushing and the planning."

Eating is also "a chance to nourish our bodies and know that we are not destroying the Earth by doing so."

Basically I feel grateful before eating but easily forget to bei grateful after eating.

From now on, I will spend a moment being grateful for the food I had!
Fred Kohn
May 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
This short little book can be knocked out in an hour or less, but that's not the proper way to read it! I read a few meditations at a time, set the book down, and then read a few more. Some of the verses/prayers towards the end I wrote down in my notes, but I am definitely considering picking up this gem for my personal library.
Kris Springer
Jul 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Titled "How to Eat," this book might have been titled "How to Live." Thich Nhat Hanh's book helps the reader to focus on now--on the peach one is eating, on the beauty of its existence and ours. Peace and respect for our food, our earth and ourselves is essential. A gem that I will revisit, I'm sure.
Alexandra
Sep 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Like many of Nhat Hahn's works, this collection of meditations is short but powerful. Small books that we can open randomly to receive a reminder to appreciate what we have or to slow down are not nearly as well done and clear. I would keep a copy of this in the kitchen and advise it for anyone looking to incorporate mindfulness into small areas of their daily life.
Sarah83 L
Jan 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ich fand das erste Buch der Reihe wirklich gut. Dieses hier wiederholt für mich zuviel den Grundgedanken ohne sehr viel neues zu berichten.
Denise
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"Chew your food, not your worries." this tiny book has some wonder short meditations before & after eating. When we are eating, we are eating!
Sapphire
I especially enjoyed 1) chewing one's string beam, not one's worries, 2) the idea that drinking tea is drinking a cloud / our food contains the universe / etc. I liked some parts better than others, but overall, I thought it was a lovely little book.
Jana
My ex boyfriend with whom I was for 3 years, oh you exes, is one of the truly best people I know and who from lover, boyfriend, ex, became my best friend, is an emotional eater. When we met, he looked amazing and he still looks amazing; all tall and dark with unapologetically twisted and brutal sense of humour which still freezes me sometimes, but he knows that if he starts eating something and if he doesn’t start thinking consciously about his eating, he is not able to stop. It is not a drama i ...more
Aug 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Here’s where I’m at with my mindfulness practice: I read this book while I ate my lunch at work. I know the practical reasons why mindfulness is important and what the benefits are, but the reality of practicing it is hard. Regardless, this was a sweet little volume with cute illustrations and some excellent thoughts on being present and mindful when you eat, when you cook, when you wash the dishes, and when you spend time with others at a meal.
Alex Melnick
Jul 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Small collection of meditations on mindful eating. Resonated with me, to my surprise. Simple without being simplistic. By a Buddhist teacher, but almost entirely secular.

Favorite passage, from a page headed "Eating a String Bean":
"Don't chew your worries, your suffering, or your projects. That's not good for your health. Just chew the string bean."
Hamideh Mohammadi
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
The repetition of one concept for 30 times killed it.
Bill Landau
Mar 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really want to be more mindful in my eating. I do. Maybe I should try a little harder.
Artemisia Hunt
Nov 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-a-copy
Eating can be a spiritual practice according to Vietnamese Buddhist monk, Thich Nhat Hanh. This concept is beautifully expressed in simple language, yet with startling depth and relevance, as How to Eat lays out a plan to make the act of eating a more conscious, enlightening process. Reading this succinct, sweet message in this small volume may just change your thinking about all that eating is really about.
Debashish
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wise words. Something which all of us should try to incorporate in our lives. Being grateful for our daily food is among the most underrated thing in our lives. The realization that the food we consume actually connects us with our universe is a great feeling. I would highly recommend this book to young and old alike.
Christina!
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
Each page contains a distinct little paragraph/thought nugget. They were good, but I found them to be very repetitive after a while.
Maughn Gregory
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wisdom-studies
If we pay enough attention to the food we eat, it becomes real to us, and eating mindfully connects us to the earth, the sky, countless living beings, and the labor the brought the food to us. We also get to taste the food instead of tasting our thinking, worrying, and planning. In my experience, this takes a lot of practice, but brings a lot of joy.
Ariel Beccia
Jan 07, 2016 rated it liked it
cute little book, but it didn't resonate with me on the level that i was looking for. i appreciate the deep philosophical teachings. it's cool that "each spoonful contains the universe". i can jive with that. i just don't think i'm in a place to sit and contemplate the whole wide world when i sit down to a meal.

some good stuff:

...waiting for the time to eat, we don't need to waste our time. we don't need to "wait" for one second. instead, we can enjoy breathing in and out for our nourishment an
Sean Goh
Jul 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
p.13: Waiting without waiting: Waiting for our time to eat, be it in a queue or in a restaurant, we can be grateful for the imminent opportunity to sate our appetites and savour our nourishment.

p.39: Turning off the radio (of non-stop thoughts): To eat without thinking is to eat in freedom. Freedom to enjoy the present moment.

p.54: A silent meal. Company optional.

p.72: Mindful conversation at mealtime: Conversations at mealtimes should focus one's attention on the objects in front of oneself. Th
Alexandra Paretta
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Like many of Thich Nhat Hanh's books, he writes in such a way that is deeply piercing, but easy to digest (no pun intended).

This book brings awareness about food and consumption into your consciousness. It's goal is to affect you in such a way to be more mindful about not only what you're putting into your body, but what media and other forms of non-tangible things like anger or fear are being put into your psyche on a daily basis.

This book had a big influence on my decision to become vegan. It
Robert Parks Johnson
Jul 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
This simple little book is a guide to the mindful practice of eating.

With just a little bit of mindfulness, you can truly see where your bread comes from... Bread comes from the wheat fields, from hard work, and from the baker, the supplier, and the seller. But... the wheat field needs clouds and sunshine. so, in this slice of bread there is sunshine, there is cloud, there is the labor of the farmer, the joy of having flour, and the skill of the baker... The whole cosmos has Come together so th
Emily Carlin
Nov 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Thich Nhat Hanh has written elsewhere: "We are very good at preparing to live, but not very good at living." This slim volume is a lighthearted reminder that any activity can be sacred in a way (eating being one example that happens nearly ever day). IDK about saying what's "healthy" / not for other people, but I feel like I could argue that taking what this book says to heart is healthy for anyone/everyone.

One thing that caught for me after reading this is being mindful while drinking tea. I d
Nikki
Jul 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Some good gems on eating mindfully and healthfully to care for yourself, your ancestors, and the future of our earth and children. Good contemplations for eating, and tips on staying present about when you eat and what you eat. Overall, this book did have a lot of repetition, even though it is short. Some repetition is not unusual in Thich Nhat Hanh's books, and as he made a lot of his works, he definitely come across the same ideas, which I find helps to enforce them. However, here, I started t ...more
Nayeli
Mar 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook
I'd read anything by Thich Nhat Hanh, he writes in a very simple way that I enjoy very much. This is the last book of the Mindfulness Essentials series that I read, it's as short as the others and I'm not sure why I left it for last. Though it wasn't the most difficult type of meditation (walking meditation seems harder to me), it's still complicated to find the time and peace to do "eating meditations" (they're not called this exactly, but it seems fitting), still... I have tried it a couple of ...more
Forest Tong
Jun 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really like the premise of this book, which is a call to eating more mindfully. Unfortunately, despite being extremely short, I found it repetitive and a bit too syrupy. There is, however, the occasional beautiful quote:

Edit: I give this book far more credit than I originally thought it was due. Although many of the lines didn't particularly move me at the time of reading, th
Nick
Mar 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The second in this Buddhist's series about how to do apparently simple things mindfully. I got the most out of this one, in the sense that I was least worried about my ability to eat -- I seem to be able to do that just fine -- but of course it turns out that there's a whole chain of being associated with eating, and it's beautiful to think about that. When you eat. I'm working on it. The temptation to put on a movie and zone out while eating my beautiful chain of being food is still strong.
Armand Cognetta
Apr 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"To enjoy our tea, we have to be fully present and know clearly and deeply that we are drinking tea. When you lift your cup, you may like to breathe in the aroma. Looking deeply into your tea, you see that you are drinking fragrant plants that are the gift of Mother Earth. You see the labor of the tea pickers; you see the luscious tea fields and plantations in Sri Lanka, China, and Vietnam. You know that you are drinking a cloud; you are drinking the rain. The tea contains the whole universe."
A Yusuf
Aug 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Important advice that one could print out and put up anywhere to always be conscious of.
But it seemed a little repetitive to have the same essential message drive through all the 100 pages in the book, though having said that, it's probably because of how the author wanted to drive home a singular point.
  • Technicians of the Sacred: A Range of Poetries from Africa, America, Asia, Europe and Oceania
  • Practicing Mindfulness: An Introduction to Meditation
  • At the Feet of the Master
  • The Religion of Man
  • The Rebirth of Nature: The Greening of Science and God
  • How to Love Yourself (and Sometimes Other People): Spiritual Advice for Modern Relationships
  • Candle 79 Cookbook: Modern Vegan Classics from New York's Premier Sustainable Restaurant
  • Buddhism After Patriarchy: A Feminist History, Analysis, and Reconstruction of Buddhism
  • Doing the Right Things Right: How the Effective Executive Spends Time
  • The Best Damn Sales Book Ever: 16 Rock-Solid Rules for Achieving Sales Success!
  • Salad Samurai: 100 Cutting-Edge, Ultra-Hearty, Easy-to-Make Salads You Don't Have to Be Vegan to Love
  • Moveable Feasts: From Ancient Rome to the 21st Century, the Incredible Journeys of the Food We Eat
  • The Art of Negotiating the Best Deal
  • Androcles and the Lion
  • Speak to Win: How to Present with Power in Any Situation
  • Mama Tried: Traditional Italian Cooking for the Screwed, Crude, Vegan, and Tattooed
  • Return on Character: The Real Reason Leaders and Their Companies Win
  • Notes on Cooking: A Short Guide to an Essential Craft
More about Thich Nhat Hanh

Mindfulness Essentials (6 books)
  • How to Sit (Mindfulness Essentials, #1)
  • How to Love (Mindfulness Essentials, #3)
  • How to Walk (Mindfulness Essentials, #4)
  • How to Relax (Mindfulness Essentials, #5)
  • How to Fight
“May we find ways to live more simply in order to have more time and energy to change the system of injustice that exists in the world.” 1 likes
“In modern life, people tend to think their bodies belong to them, that they can do anything they want to themselves. But your body is not only yours. Your body belongs to your ancestors, your parents, and future generations. It also belongs to society and to all the other living beings. The trees, the clouds, the soil, and every living thing brought about the presence of your body. We can eat with care, knowing we are caretakers of our bodies, rather than their owners.” 1 likes