Start by marking “How to Eat (Mindfulness Essentials, #2)” as Want to Read:
How to Eat (Mindfulness Essentials, #2)

How to Eat

(Mindfulness Essentials #2)

Eating is a chance to return to the present moment.

How to Eat is the second in Parallax’s series of how-to titles by Zen Master Thich Nhat Hanh. These friendly, pocket-sized books contain several delightful illustrations by Jason DeAntonis, and are appropriate for those practicing in any spiritual tradition and all levels of familiarity with mindfulness practice.

How to Eat
Published August 26th 2014 by Parallax Press (first published July 2nd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about How to Eat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Eat

Start your review of How to Eat (Mindfulness Essentials, #2)
BlackBookie
Jan 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
We are made of ancestors, culture, food, air, and water. We are made of form, feelings, perceptions, mental formations and consciousness.

I love the mindfulness series. (:
Hepburn
Aug 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014_books
I am a huge fan of Thich Nhat Hanh. His latest book, "How to eat," reminds me how important mindful eating is:

Eating is "a chance to return to the present moment and stop the rushing and the planning."

Eating is also "a chance to nourish our bodies and know that we are not destroying the Earth by doing so."

Basically I feel grateful before eating but easily forget to bei grateful after eating.

From now on, I will spend a moment being grateful for the food I had!
Sian Lile-Pastore
Oct 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Well, I continue to crush on Thich Nhat Hanh, have you seen him in his little woolly hat? cer-ute!
This is a lovely little book, which you could pop in your pocket and then take out and read something inspiring whenever needed.
It's all about mindfulness and mindful eating, it's about taking your time when you eat and appreciating your food. Also, 'Your body is not yours. It is a gift and a responsibility.' which made me feel a little guilty as my body likes wine and is a little chubby....
Jan 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommended to Laura by: Faibka on Litsy
Neat little book with lots of information on how to eat more mindfully. I found myself interested in Faibka's (a Litsy reader) posts from this book. While this is presented from a Zen perspective, I did take away many useful tidbits on how to eat in a more meaningful way. From grocery shopping to washing the dishes, Thich Nhat Hanh touches on every aspect of eating. It is a quick read. I give it 3 1/2 stars.
Surya
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I guess as soon as one learns how to read.
One must read the 'Mindfulness Essentials' before starting to live.
Absolute essentials for life.
Fred Kohn
May 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
This short little book can be knocked out in an hour or less, but that's not the proper way to read it! I read a few meditations at a time, set the book down, and then read a few more. Some of the verses/prayers towards the end I wrote down in my notes, but I am definitely considering picking up this gem for my personal library.
Hamideh Mohammadi
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
The repetition of one concept for 30 times killed it.
Kris Springer
Jul 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Titled "How to Eat," this book might have been titled "How to Live." Thich Nhat Hanh's book helps the reader to focus on now--on the peach one is eating, on the beauty of its existence and ours. Peace and respect for our food, our earth and ourselves is essential. A gem that I will revisit, I'm sure.
Alexandra
Sep 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Like many of Nhat Hahn's works, this collection of meditations is short but powerful. Small books that we can open randomly to receive a reminder to appreciate what we have or to slow down are not nearly as well done and clear. I would keep a copy of this in the kitchen and advise it for anyone looking to incorporate mindfulness into small areas of their daily life.
Denise Nobile
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"Chew your food, not your worries." this tiny book has some wonder short meditations before & after eating. When we are eating, we are eating! ...more
Jae
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We become aware of what to consume and what not to consume in order to keep our bodies, our minds, and the Earth healthy, and not to cause suffering for ourselves and for others. Mindful consumption is the way out of our difficulties, not just our personal difficulties, but also the way out of war, poverty, and climate crisis. The Earth requires now that we consume mindfully if we are to survive and thrive as a species.
Ann-Sofie
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read, re-read and again. Mindfully ;-)
Sapphire
I especially enjoyed 1) chewing one's string beam, not one's worries, 2) the idea that drinking tea is drinking a cloud / our food contains the universe / etc. I liked some parts better than others, but overall, I thought it was a lovely little book.
Jana
My ex boyfriend with whom I was for 3 years, oh you exes, is one of the truly best people I know and who from lover, boyfriend, ex, became my best friend, is an emotional eater. When we met, he looked amazing and he still looks amazing; all tall and dark with unapologetically twisted and brutal sense of humour which still freezes me sometimes, but he knows that if he starts eating something and if he doesn’t start thinking consciously about his eating, he is not able to stop. It is not a drama i ...more
Aug 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Here’s where I’m at with my mindfulness practice: I read this book while I ate my lunch at work. I know the practical reasons why mindfulness is important and what the benefits are, but the reality of practicing it is hard. Regardless, this was a sweet little volume with cute illustrations and some excellent thoughts on being present and mindful when you eat, when you cook, when you wash the dishes, and when you spend time with others at a meal.
Alex Melnick
Jul 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Small collection of meditations on mindful eating. Resonated with me, to my surprise. Simple without being simplistic. By a Buddhist teacher, but almost entirely secular.

Favorite passage, from a page headed "Eating a String Bean":
"Don't chew your worries, your suffering, or your projects. That's not good for your health. Just chew the string bean."
Christina!
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
Each page contains a distinct little paragraph/thought nugget. They were good, but I found them to be very repetitive after a while.
Bill Landau
Mar 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really want to be more mindful in my eating. I do. Maybe I should try a little harder.
Trixie Fontaine
I need teachers like this to remind me that things I crave and long for (like eating with all our attention focused on our food and all of the nutrition & value in it) that are culturally abnormal in my milieu are encouraged & practiced by people who've devoted their lives to peace.

Took more than four years, but I've read all the pages now at least once & have experienced benefits since I started it all that time ago. Like, just sitting in usually-anger-making traffic becomes a peaceful vacation
Artemisia Hunt
Nov 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-a-copy
Eating can be a spiritual practice according to Vietnamese Buddhist monk, Thich Nhat Hanh. This concept is beautifully expressed in simple language, yet with startling depth and relevance, as How to Eat lays out a plan to make the act of eating a more conscious, enlightening process. Reading this succinct, sweet message in this small volume may just change your thinking about all that eating is really about.
Mithra Rajah
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good reminder about mindfulness and slowing down. Eating in silence, thinking about where the food comes from and showing gratitude are the big takeaways. I liked how it touched on how emotional eating is.
FunkMaster General
Mar 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
“Tell me what you eat and I will tell you who you are. Tell me where you eat, and I will tell you who you are.“
Debashish
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wise words. Something which all of us should try to incorporate in our lives. Being grateful for our daily food is among the most underrated thing in our lives. The realization that the food we consume actually connects us with our universe is a great feeling. I would highly recommend this book to young and old alike.
Maughn Gregory
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wisdom-studies
If we pay enough attention to the food we eat, it becomes real to us, and eating mindfully connects us to the earth, the sky, countless living beings, and the labor the brought the food to us. We also get to taste the food instead of tasting our thinking, worrying, and planning. In my experience, this takes a lot of practice, but brings a lot of joy.
Ariel Beccia
Jan 07, 2016 rated it liked it
cute little book, but it didn't resonate with me on the level that i was looking for. i appreciate the deep philosophical teachings. it's cool that "each spoonful contains the universe". i can jive with that. i just don't think i'm in a place to sit and contemplate the whole wide world when i sit down to a meal.

some good stuff:

...waiting for the time to eat, we don't need to waste our time. we don't need to "wait" for one second. instead, we can enjoy breathing in and out for our nourishment an
Alexandra Paretta
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Like many of Thich Nhat Hanh's books, he writes in such a way that is deeply piercing, but easy to digest (no pun intended).

This book brings awareness about food and consumption into your consciousness. It's goal is to affect you in such a way to be more mindful about not only what you're putting into your body, but what media and other forms of non-tangible things like anger or fear are being put into your psyche on a daily basis.

This book had a big influence on my decision to become vegan. It
Sean Goh
Jul 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
p.13: Waiting without waiting: Waiting for our time to eat, be it in a queue or in a restaurant, we can be grateful for the imminent opportunity to sate our appetites and savour our nourishment.

p.39: Turning off the radio (of non-stop thoughts): To eat without thinking is to eat in freedom. Freedom to enjoy the present moment.

p.54: A silent meal. Company optional.

p.72: Mindful conversation at mealtime: Conversations at mealtimes should focus one's attention on the objects in front of oneself. Th
Emily Carlin
Nov 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Thich Nhat Hanh has written elsewhere: "We are very good at preparing to live, but not very good at living." This slim volume is a lighthearted reminder that any activity can be sacred in a way (eating being one example that happens nearly ever day). IDK about saying what's "healthy" / not for other people, but I feel like I could argue that taking what this book says to heart is healthy for anyone/everyone.

One thing that caught for me after reading this is being mindful while drinking tea. I d
Nikki
Jul 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Some good gems on eating mindfully and healthfully to care for yourself, your ancestors, and the future of our earth and children. Good contemplations for eating, and tips on staying present about when you eat and what you eat. Overall, this book did have a lot of repetition, even though it is short. Some repetition is not unusual in Thich Nhat Hanh's books, and as he made a lot of his works, he definitely come across the same ideas, which I find helps to enforce them. However, here, I started t ...more
Robert Parks Johnson
Jul 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
This simple little book is a guide to the mindful practice of eating.

With just a little bit of mindfulness, you can truly see where your bread comes from... Bread comes from the wheat fields, from hard work, and from the baker, the supplier, and the seller. But... the wheat field needs clouds and sunshine. so, in this slice of bread there is sunshine, there is cloud, there is the labor of the farmer, the joy of having flour, and the skill of the baker... The whole cosmos has Come together so th
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Eat to Love: A Mindful Guide to Transforming Your Relationship with Food, Body, and Life
  • A Sloth's Guide to Mindfulness (Mindfulness Books, Spiritual Self-Help Book, Funny Meditation Books)
  • Co-parenting with a Toxic Ex: What to Do When Your Ex-Spouse Tries to Turn the Kids Against You
  • Deep Listening: A Healing Practice to Calm Your Body, Clear Your Mind, and Open Your Heart
  • Caffeine: How Caffeine Created the Modern World
  • The First Free Women: Poems of the Early Buddhist Nuns
  • Kindfulness
  • The Truth Will Set You Free, But First It Will Piss You Off!: Thoughts on Life, Love, and Rebellion
  • Coming to Our Senses: Healing Ourselves and the World Through Mindfulness
  • The Bodymind Ballwork Method
  • La Tempête des échos (La Passe-Miroir, #4)
  • Xiu Yang: Self-Cultivation for a healthier, happier and more balanced life
  • Tea and Cake with Demons: A Buddhist Guide to Feeling Worthy
  • 春の庭 [Haru no niwa]
  • The Power of Bad: How the Negativity Effect Rules Us and How We Can Rule It
  • The Comprehensive INFP Survival Guide
  • The Great Mental Models, Volume 2: Physics, Chemistry and Biology

Mindfulness Essentials (7 books)
  • How to Sit (Mindfulness Essentials, #1)
  • How to Love (Mindfulness Essentials, #3)
  • How to Walk (Mindfulness Essentials, #4)
  • How to Relax (Mindfulness Essentials, #5)
  • How to Fight
  • How to See

Related Articles

Tech pioneer, co-founder of Microsoft, co-chair of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, and author Bill Gates is an avid reader who has ...
“To be truly present we have to stop our thinking. This is the secret of success.” 4 likes
“Something as simple and ordinary as drinking a cup of tea can bring us great joy and help us feel our connection to the Earth. The way we drink our tea can transform our lives if we truly devote our attention to it. Sometimes we hurry through our daily tasks, looking forward to the time when we can stop and have a cup of tea. But then when we’re finally sitting with the cup in our hands, our mind is still running off into the future and we can’t enjoy what we’re doing; we lose the pleasure of drinking our tea. We need to keep our awareness alive and value each moment of our daily life. We may think our other tasks are less pleasant than drinking tea. But if we do them with awareness, we may find that they’re actually very enjoyable. Drinking a cup of tea is a pleasure we can give ourselves every day. To enjoy our tea, we have to be fully present and know clearly and deeply that we are drinking tea. When you lift your cup, you may like to breathe in the aroma. Looking deeply into your tea, you see that you are drinking fragrant plants that are the gift of Mother Earth. You see the labor of the tea pickers; you see the luscious tea fields and plantations in Sri Lanka, China, and Vietnam. You know that you are drinking a cloud; you are drinking the rain. The tea contains the whole universe.” 3 likes