Start by marking “Wheels of Change” as Want to Read:
Wheels of Change

Wheels of Change

Racial intolerance, social change, and sweeping progress make 1908 Washington, D.C., a turbulent place to grow up in for 12-year-old Emily Soper. For Emily, life in Papa’s carriage barn is magic, and she's more at home hearing the symphony of the blacksmith’s hammer than trying to conform to the proper expectations of young ladies. When Papa’s livelihood is threatened by r ...more
Published September 23rd 2014 by Creston Books

To ask other readers questions about Wheels of Change, please sign up.
Darlene It is available at Barnes and Noble, Amazon and through PGW: Here is the ISBN# 978-1-939547-13-2

Thank you for your interest.

Kathy Temean
Aug 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wheels of Change is a wonderful, well-written, heartwarming book. I wouldn't be surprised if it won a big children's book award. It take place in Washington DC during 1908, so it is a historical fiction novel and it is filled with vivid details of the time. The main character is Emily Soper who is the twelve year old daughter of a carriage maker is a gusty, quick-thinking young girl. Everything is changing. The industrial revolution has started. Automobiles are replacing the horse and carriage. ...more
QNPoohBear
Emily Soper's Papa is a carriage maker, the best carriage maker in all of Washington, DC. He makes carriages for important people, like John Philips Sousa and even President Roosevelt! Emily loves spending time in the barn and hopes her father will one day allow her to help build carriages. Beatrice Peabody, the meanest girl in school, boasts about her uncle's automobile and how thanks to Mr. Ford's assembly line, more people can buy them. Beatrice believes Emily's Papa will soon be out of busin ...more
:Donna Marie
Aug 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
WHEELS OF CHANGE For me, time to read fiction has become a luxury—a rare occurrence. When I come across a book that makes that experience all I want it to be—that book is a gift. Such a gift was given me when Darlene Beck Jacobson’s book Wheels of Change made its way into my hands. From the steady “buzz” about this book, I was more than eager to read it, yet life continued getting in the way. A week passed when I finally sat to read more than just a few pages I’d snatched in snippets.

Once I be
Katya Szewczuk
Mar 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Children ages 8-14 and any lover of Middle Grade and Historical fiction.
Shelves: favorites
Growing up in a time of change and hardship is never easy, especially when you’re young. Twelve-year-old Emily Soper lives in the early 1900s in Washington, D.C, a time when she was expected to be prim and proper and act accordingly. She witnesses racial and gender mayhem as well as a development of technology and tries her hardest to keep up with all of the changes.

Raised by her hard working father, a carriage maker who manages Soper Carriages, and her mother who stays home to care for the chil
Holly Schindler
Aug 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love a good historical read, and this one hauled me in from the very beginning. I especially relished the sensory details in the opening pages. I also really enjoyed the family dynamics, and the smaller moments really sparkled in the pages (in one of my favorite scenes, Emily's mother helps her hang a horseshoe for luck). Jacobson smartly juxtaposes the changes in young Emily's personal life (she's slowly leaving behind childhood and making steps toward becoming a young woman) with larger chan ...more
Kathleen
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great cover for a fun book!
Authentic historical details give readers a flavor of a period not often covered in historical fiction for kids, the start of the automobile age. Emily's spunky determination to save her father's business and her easy, comfortable relationship with an African-American blacksmith are endearing. A good read!
Tessa Yorks
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Though I am not the biggest history buff I felt this novel did a decent job portraying the time period. I do know however it was extremely fictionally based which made the novel seem a bit immature to me.
Terry Moskowitz
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is set in 1908 and follows Emily Soper. Her father made carriages and in a world in which "a woman's place was In the home" she didn't feel she had much options.
The story makes you realize all we have now is because of what happened then. With the prejudices and the hardships. It teaches us how change affects everyone whether it is the creation of a motorized carriage or how we treat our neighbors.
Linda Mitchell
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well, thank you, Storm Stella! I hunkered down and read Wheels of Change by Darlene Jacobson. What a beautiful middle-grade historical spun out of family lore. Perfect for those 1900-1919 years when there were so many, many new inventions and contraptions up against age-old conventions.

I hope this author keeps writing. One of my favorite lines from the book, "There's no wrong time to help a friend". (62)
Allison
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Simply wonderful! I picked this up on a whim off the used book shelf at our library for my daughter and I to read and we were absolutely entranced. The story took us back in time and really immersed us in Emily's world and issues of the time period. I liked the vocabulary lessons found throughout the book- they just added to the fun of the book for us. We were so sad the book was over!
Cara Anderson-boiler
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved reading the story of Emily Soper and being swept up in her life in the early 1900s. I couldn’t put the book down.
Patricia Keeler
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Washington, DC is my hometown, so it was exciting to find a book that embraced
the history of this beautiful city! Wheels of Change takes place during Theodore
Roosevelt’s presidency—a time of racial inequality, the suffragette movement,
and new Model T Fords. These new-fangled horseless carriages threaten the
need for traditional horse-drawn carriages, and as a result the Soper Carriage
Works. Twelve-year-old Emily Soper worries for her parents, as well as herself.

I loved this book, because it
Mary
Oct 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Emily is a precocious young girl growing up in Washington, D.C., at the turn of the century. The year is 1908, and her Papa is a skilled blacksmith, creating beautiful carriages in his workshop. Emily loves to be there, watching the workmen and helping with small tasks, but her mother is determined to turn her into a lady. She is especially excited when Papa is commissioned to design and build a majestic carriage for none other than President Teddy Roosevelt!

Yet, times are changing. Motor cars
Jennifer Bardsley
Sep 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was so excited to read Darlene Beck Jacobson’s new middle grade book Wheels of Change. Some of you might recognize Darlene as the author of the popular blog Gold From the Dust: Bringing Stories to Life.

Wheels of Change tells the story of sixth grade Emily Soper who lives in Washington D.C. at the turn of the century. For a twelve-year-old, Emily faces some pretty heavy stuff. Her favorite teacher is a suffragist, her frenemy’s mom is racist and Emily herself is embroiled in a daily battle with
Norma Meyer
Sep 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is an outstanding book. I had the great honor to preview it. I had a general idea of the story line beforehand, but was pulled into the book almost instantly. I am very impressed by the depth of characterization for a book written for children. Beck Jacobson manages to cover some very important social and technological changes in the world without making the history laborious. One feels as though he/she is living the experience.
I loved the young heroine - she is very real, Her daily intera
Lynda Gene
Aug 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
From the first time I read Darlene Jacobson's manuscript, I knew that her hero, Emily, was a girl we'd all be glad to know. She's a vivid character interested in blacksmithing, baking, and words, and while she's brave and curious, she's also refreshingly imperfect. In the year 1919, Emily faces - and sometimes causes - enormous change in her family's way of life. Jacobson's writing sparkles with clarity and energy and with a first novel this good, I hope we're in for more of Emily, or at least m ...more
Meloney
Aug 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I devoured this book. Set in historical Washington D.C. when races mixing was still taboo, Emily Soper learns a lot about adapting to the world through events that happen to her family, friends, and herself.

I found the writing to be beautiful yet still realistic. I could picture myself there, peeking through a window, and watching it all unfold.

I can see this book winning awards and someday, rotating through the public school system as reading material. This is a book I will read more than once
Bibi Belford
Feb 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Once I got used to the historical tone of the novel I liked it a lot. It will be a great book to add to social studies units, introducing students to the industrial revolution and how it affected people. I also like the opportunity it presents for students to discuss the two viewpoints about change in debates or discussions, perfect for the rigors of today's higher order thinking push. I agree with a couple of the reviewers that stated the pacing was uneven. In some ways this is not a criticism, ...more
Karen Fortunati
Oct 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this novel! Terrifically entertaining and superbly written, twelve-year-old protagonist Emily Soper grabs the reader's heart from the get-go! The story weaves historical fact, the author's family history with a beautifully touching narrative. Turn of the twentieth century Washington, D.C. is rife with change on so many areas: race, gender and technology. Darlene Beck Jacobson showcases the tension through the eyes of Emily in a realistic and engaging way. Yet home remains the heart of th ...more
Annie
Dec 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a great historical fiction novel that takes place during a time not often discussed in elementary or middle school social studies-- early 20th century. The main character is a young girl whose father makes carriages right around the time that Henry Ford and automobiles are threatening this business. The story also touches on racial and gender inequality in a way that makes sense with the story and the characters.

3/3
Robin Newman
Jul 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone! Terrific book!
I LOVED this book. It has a timeless feel, akin to Laura Ingalls Wilder’s Little House on the Prairie, and from page 1 you find yourself rooting for 12-year old Emily Soper, who unlike some of the adults in her life, is unafraid to take a stand for what is right. What makes this book even more special is that it was inspired by the real life experiences of the author’s grandmother, Mary Emily Soper. I highly recommend it.
Rani
Jun 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: mg-fiction
When a carriage maker faces changes, his daughter decides to help out by writing to the President. This results in Mary Emily Sopher being invited to the White House by President Roosevelt. Retold from the history of authors family, this is a wonderful book for Middle Grade readers exploring several aspects of the time.
Jody
Oct 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Darlene Beck Jacobson's Wheels of Change is an engaging, beautifully written historical middle grades novel that this adult reader couldn't put down. Young Emily Soper navigates Theodore Roosevelt's Washington, DC, with energy and determination as the city and the nation go through huge changes in both transportation and social attitudes.
Zach Koenig
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The best works of historical fiction are the ones that really put you inside the era/people they are trying to describe. "Wheels of Change" by Darlene Beck Jacobson does exactly that, managing to make readers feel as if they are actually living in the Washington D.C. of 1909.

The basic premise of this book centers on young Emily Soper and the struggles of her blooming adolescence and curious mind. When her Papa, an esteemed carriage-maker, begins an order for President Teddy Roosevelt himself, Em
Yvonne Ventresca
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade
Wheels of Change transports the reader to the early 1900s in Washington, DC where Emily worries about personal problems (her father’s struggling business, her mother’s insistence on learning proper housekeeping) as well as larger issues (racial tension, women’s inability to vote). Beck Jacobson manages to weave in lots of fascinating details from the time period without weighing down the story. The result is an entertaining book that brings history to life.
Ramesh Vyaghrapuri
May 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am getting back to the old habit of reading books with this one. Over the years, I've lost my ability to focus but the book is thin enough that I could read it through in one sitting.

It is a lovely collection of inspiring anecdotes, lightly and charmingly told despite the importance of the subject.
Charlotte Bennardo
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beck Jacobson takes her readers into an era that usually overlooked- when Teddy Roosevelt was president. A young girl wants to follow in her father's footsteps- during a time when they weren't encouraged or allowed. A fresh read!
Dana
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful coming of age story of courage, with great lessons throughout the text. My class really enjoyed the book as well.
Priyanka
Feb 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Age Recommended: 12 and up

Wheels of Change was an extraordinary book about a family trying to cope with the changing world and the technology revolution of the time. The author developed the main character of the book really well. The book also does a really good job of introducing kids to issues of women’s suffrage and racial discrimination, both of which were prevalent in early 1900s. I did find some parts of the story a little repetitive, but otherwise the book is very well-written.

This book
Ms. Yingling
Jul 24, 2014 rated it it was ok
Emily loves hanging out in her father's shop, and enjoys talking to Henry, the blacksmith. Her father has just made a carriage for Sousa, and has been commissioned to build one for President Roosevelt himself. When Henry becomes very ill, her father has to hire another man, and with the advent of the "horseless carriage", Emily fears for the future of the shop. Emily's mother wishes she would not hang around the forge and enlists her help to put together a tea, for which Emily must improve her b ...more
« previous 1 3 next »
  • The Dungeoneers (Dungeoneers, #1)
  • The Enchanted Table And Other Stories (Popular Reward)
  • Tollins: Explosive Tales for Children
  • The Quest of the Warrior Sheep (The Warrior Sheep, #1)
  • The Year We Sailed the Sun
  • A Bandit's Tale: The Muddled Misadventures of a Pickpocket
  • Werewolf versus Dragon (An Awfully Beastly Business, #1)
  • Revenge of the Dust Bunnies (Spooky Snacks, #1)
  • The Magic Fishbone
  • My Weird Writing Tips
  • The Defense of Thaddeus A. Ledbetter
  • Bugged: How Insects Changed History
  • Six Kids and a Stuffed Cat
  • Tiger Boy
  • Beyond the Door
  • The Beatles Were Fab  (and They Were Funny)
  • The Yggyssey: How Iggy Wondered What Happened to All the Ghosts, Found Out Where TheyWent, and Went There
  • Magritte's Marvelous Hat