Start by marking “The Innovator's Method: Bringing the Lean Start-up into Your Organization” as Want to Read:
The Innovator's Method: Bringing the Lean Start-up into Your Organization

The Innovator's Method: Bringing the Lean Start-up into Your Organization

Have you ever come up with an idea for a new product or service but didn’t take any action because you thought it would be too risky? Or at work, have you had what you thought could be a big idea for your company—perhaps changing the way you develop or distribute a product, provide customer service, or hire and train your employees? If you have, but you haven’t known how t ...more
Published September 9th 2014 by Harvard Business Review Press (first published August 19th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Innovator's Method, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Innovator's Method

Oleksandr Golovatyi
The most important of the book.
Brief review of the innovator's method:
Insight -> Problem -> Solution -> Business Model -> Scaling.
In general, the book will be interesting for managers of all levels, managers and entrepreneurs. Traditional management works well only in conditions of certainty. The book describes the methods and techniques, as well as many examples of how to solve uncertain problems creatively. In a word experiment with the mind and set yourself high goals.
------------
Natalie
Mar 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
Read to page 150 and then skimmed the rest. Some good ideas but dry and hard to read.
Sven Kirsimäe
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: at-audible
Well reasoned book how changes can be implemented in an uncertain business environments and why they might matter in the first place.

If you’re an active member in a startup scene then most of the concepts are known to you but are nicely described in a logical manner with examples to remind them once more.

Or, if you want to turn around your stagnated company, you might get some good hints from this book.

For sure, now I’m more equipped to reason ever-happening changes in the business world of mine
Cyrus8000
Sep 18, 2017 rated it did not like it
Too basic, too much copy paste. Read instead business model canvas
Jenny
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Professors Dryer and Furr might actually prefer that the book be called an operating manual instead. An operating manual is used for the specific behavioral directions. A car manual, for example is open while a mechanic is actively tuning a car. It might be covered in oil because it has been used on site. This manual for innovators, is not one to be read in one sitting. The authors motivate the reader to action with every new principle in the book. Readers will be repeatedly inspired to put the ...more
Tiago
Apr 13, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a very interesting book that tries to convey in a unified way the lessons of the 'Lean Startup', 'Design Thinking' movements. As with some business books it tends to be a bit verbose and repetitive (therefore the 3-star rating instead of a 4-star).

The Innovator's Method can be summarized in the following steps:
- Come up with an insight.
- Understand your customer problem and needs: customer pain points.
- Prototype as quick as possible: virtual prototypes, minimum viable prototype.
- D
Adam
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: improv-co
Solid principles on managing for innovation. The advice itself is fairly basic, but the book is a good reminder that you don't have to act in complicated ways to promote innovation within a company. A lot of innovation is just repeating certain ways of thought until it becomes second nature to train your brain to look for innovative opportunities.

Though the advice is good in the book, a lot of the stories are similar to the Innovator's DNA stories, which makes the stories feel less impactful an
Nick
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: did-not-finish
I guess it's the state of the genre, but what could've been explained in an essay was instead bloated to hundreds of filler pages, reprisal after reprisal of the same topic. I'll save you the read: come up with an insight, understand the customer’s problem, quickly develop “an awesome solution” to that problem, and create a business model, and finally generate revenue and scale your idea. Revolutionary stuff.
Jonathan Hardy
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Also read this one in Jeff Dyer's class on creative strategic thinking. This is a great companion book to innovator's DNA. Though I do not plan to do a lot of product innovations I think the construct this creates around various types of prototypes and adding a minimum awesome product after minimum viable were helpful ideas for me that plan to apply in my HR career.
Shannon
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the best business books I have ever read. This book has actionable tips for being lean, mean and nimble in your small startup or large organization. From the value of a MVP to how to gather customer insight, this is an indispensable guide.
Denis Kondratyev
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Чтобы было больше инноваций нужно стараться делать больше инноваций. Ок, вроде бы логично :)
Ilyes Hachani
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
The content is very good. I gave it a 4 because of the redundancy in the chapters. The book could have been 50pages shorter while retaining the same information. It feels like they added the content to hit a length milestone not to add more value. Other than that this is a good read. I really recommend.
Scott
Sep 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
At it's core, The Innovator's Method is about navigating the uncertainty that surrounds innovative ideas. As one who has the entrepreneurial itch, I learned a great deal from this book. Of the many take-aways outlined in the book, I found the principle of the Minimum Awesome Product (MAP) to be most helpful. Furr and Dyer explain that the MAP principle is a way of quickly prototyping an idea by finding the answers to three questions: How wow'ed are people when they understand the product? how li ...more
Ahmed Korayem
Mar 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
The "method" is actually based on many different concepts and techniques described in more details in other books. This book is a good collective summary of methodological tactics to deal with uncertainties when developing and introducing new innovations. The key message is that high uncertainty requires a new management skills set: one has to go through a series of well thought experiments to validate assumptions at different stages of innovation development (getting the insight - identifying t ...more
Waterxpolo
Nov 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Although intended to be broad in appeal, I think the most appropriate targets for this book are actually 1) large companies struggling to innovate and diversify and 2) a more mature startup that has discovered product-market fit and needs to focus, then scale and establish processes for effective, ongoing innovation and product development. Nothing was particularly earth shattering for me, but it did reinforce things I already knew and gave me new vocabulary for persuading others. This book does ...more
Jose Papo
Aug 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is a fantastic addition to any Lean Startup library. What I like about the book is that it brings concrete and clear guidelines to execute innovation inside your organization. Also it blends Design Thinking, Jobs to be Done, Business Model generation and Lean startup tips and tricks. It's really an end to end process for creating, refining and bringing great ideas to market.

The book uses the most important literature about Innovation, Jobs to be done, Design Thinking and Lean Startup.
Sergei
Oct 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A great introductory reading on the world of organisational development under extreme uncertainty. I would suggest this one for the newcomers, then zeroing in on the particular subjects of innovation via the books and materials the author refers to, such as: customer development, lean, discovery-driven development, agile, analytics, and many many more.

I would call this "the gateway innovators-to-be drug".
Deb
Dec 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Good read. Finished it early this year and can't really remember how well I liked it. I'll probably re-read it at some point. All I remember is that I'd recommend it for those interested in start-ups, entrepreneurship and innovation in your organizations.
Brendan Brooks
Oct 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business, non-fiction
excellent consolidation of lean & agile in practice.
Bora
Mar 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great book explaining the implementation of lean startup methodology to big enterprises.
Delhi Irc
Robby
Oct 31, 2015

• Six Simple Rules: How to Manage Complexity without Getting Complicated
  • Illuminate: Ignite Change Through Speeches, Stories, Ceremonies and Symbols
  • Infonomics: How to Monetize, Manage, and Measure Information as an Asset for Competitive Advantage
  • The Lean Enterprise: How Corporations Can Innovate Like Startups
  • High-Profit Prospecting: Powerful Strategies to Find the Best Leads and Drive Breakthrough Sales Results
  • The Innovator's Hypothesis: How Cheap Experiments Are Worth More Than Good Ideas
  • The Attacker's Advantage: Turning Uncertainty into Breakthrough Opportunities
  • Scale: Seven Proven Principles to Grow Your Business and Get Your Life Back
  • The Innovator's DNA: Mastering the Five Skills of Disruptive Innovators
  • The First Mile: A Launch Manual for Getting Great Ideas into the Market
  • Lean Change Management: Innovative practices for managing organizational change
  • The Lean Entrepreneur: How Visionaries Create Products, Innovate with New Ventures, and Disrupt Markets
  • Work Like a Spy: Business Tips from a Former CIA Officer
  • Escape Velocity: Free Your Company's Future from the Pull of the Past
  • Rolling Rocks Downhill: Accelerate Agile using Goldratt's TOC
  • Gamify: How Gamification Motivates People to Do Extraordinary Things
  • Group Genius: The Creative Power of Collaboration
  • The Lean Mindset: Ask the Right Questions
“There are two types of uncertainty that influence a firm’s ability to create a customer: demand uncertainty (will customers buy it?) and technological uncertainty (can we make a desirable solution?).” 1 likes
“Products that delight customers do the unexpected. They solve a problem customers didn’t know they had, or they evoke a positive emotion.” 1 likes