Start by marking “Fire” as Want to Read:
Fire

Fire

One small spark brought fire awake,
Winding like a small black snake,
Fire flickered, fire crept,
Flames snickered, bushfire leapt...

Inspired by the bushfires that have affected many Australians, Fire is a moving and sensitive story of a natural disaster as seen through the eyes of a cockatoo. The fire mercilessly engulfs homes and land, leaving a devastating path of destruc
Published 2013 by Scholastic Australia (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fire

Start your review of Fire
Suzanne
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
A moving tribute showing us the deadly harshness of wildfire, to both those who fight this insidious phenomenon and those tho lose so much to it. Beautifully illustrated, my five year old commented on their uniqueness. Author and illustrator both comment on their distinctive style at the end of the book. A serious and almost unsettling story, unfortunately this topic is all too real. Very, very good. Not light hearted, but Indy did listen. He was almost somber.

It was his first day of kindergarte
Sean Harding
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Any Australian who is old enough to understand history and current events will have experienced a bush fire either first hand or by following to closely on the news.
Even as I write this there are fires in Australia.
Bush fires are devastating and have taken many lives and property, and this book is a beautifully presented book about the horrors of these fires in the vast land of Australia.
It is a similar idea to the book French did on flood, and is a recommended book for all to read.
Rochelle
Jackie French has captured the emotion of a raging fire in a simple rhyming style. Bruce Whatley has done an incredible job on the illustrations.These two make a great team, and I've enjoyed all the books these two have created together that I've read so far.
A great story for older children and adults a like. An important story, since Australia deals with many bushfires every year. Some absolutely devastating.
I highly recommend it.
Shane Harcombe
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thoughtful rhyming text provides a launching pad for discussion, but it is the amazing, realistic illustrations that I think elevate this book. I have previously read Flood, and I am sure Drought & Cyclone are just as powerful for those who have experienced them.
Biro Tomodachi
Feb 21, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-books, teach
Whilst a little confronting due to the topical nature of bushfires in Australia, the poetic language of Jackie French along with the fantastic illustration of Bruce Whatley make Fire a compelling text that explores environmental and social impact of the bushfires.
Ellie
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love everything about this series of natural disaster picture books!
Jacinda
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This is such a beautifully illustrated book that gently explains the powerful ferocity of bushfires.
Get Ahead Kids
May 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful book, depicting the eerie and often heart breaking subject of fire.

Jackie's emotional verse and Bruce's spectacular illustrations capture the ferocity of the bushfire.

This book depicts the destruction of the flames, the courage of firefighters and the new growth after the blaze.

As bush fires are a common occurrence in Australia, this book is an ideal introduction for young readers.
Hamish Davidson
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
This children’s book is beautiful in every way. The writing is rich and lyrical. And the water colour illustrations are exquisite. The kids learnt all about the harsh realities of bush fires in an engaging way.
Stacey
Nov 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
A beautifully illustrated book.
Beth J
Apr 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chn-books, own
Beautiful book and so powerful
Marj Osborne
Mar 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful picture book, amazingly illustrated by Bruce Whatley. So many applications in so many areas.
Rosemary
Jul 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, in-library
Beautiful illustrations.
Julie
Aug 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is one beautiful picture book in every way - text, illustrations, treatment of theme... couldn't be more highly recommended. ...more
Gaby
Feb 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful poetic writing and very topical during the Australian summer.
Amanda Gilligan

• I Went Walking
  • Itchy, Scritchy, Scratchy Pants
  • Mike I Don't Like
  • 15 Things Not to Do with a Grandma
Jackie is an award-winning writer, wombat negotiator and the Australian Children’s Laureate for 2014-2015. She is regarded as one of Australia’s most popular children’s authors, and writes across all genres - from picture books, history, fantasy, ecology and sci-fi to her much loved historical fiction. In her capacity as Australian Children’s Laureate, ‘Share a Story’ will be the primary philosoph ...more

News & Interviews