Start by marking “Hidden on the Mountain: Stories of Children Sheltered from the Nazis in Le Chambon” as Want to Read:

Forced to flee the Nazi Army, Jewish families found a safe haven in a small town in Le Chambon, France, where a community of Protestants, having once been persecuted for their religion, sympathized with their struggle and did all they could to hide them from the invaders that sought to do them harm.
Published February 1st 2007 by Holiday House (first published October 23rd 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Hidden on the Mountain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hidden on the Mountain

Start your review of Hidden on the Mountain: Stories of Children Sheltered from the Nazis in Le Chambon
Rachel
Mar 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Hidden on the Mountain tells the stories of various Jewish children that sheltered from Nazis in Le Chambon, a former Huegonot refuge in southern France. The book provides several maps and a timeline of events in World War II and follows with two chapters of background information on the War and France's role in it. Then, it introduces Le Chambon, the focus of the text, and provides insight into the lives of the children who sheltered there through letters and diary excerpts. The chapters altern ...more
Paula F.
Jan 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is my introduction to a wonderfully courageous story of an entire mountain village in the South of France that united to defy their president and the Nazis anti-Semitic brutality. The children's stories are taken from adult survivor interviews, and "told" from a children's perspective. Most interesting to me was the variety of individual emotions, ingenuity, and miracles--great and small. A heartwarming, encouraging, and delightful story.
Marjanne
Sep 22, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone interested in the Jewish experience during WWII
I am always surprised about how much information we have today about the events during World War II. Having been a Judeo-phile for many years, and even taking courses at the U specifically about the Holocaust, I was surprised I had not heard about Le Chambon. This book contained amazing stories and the people of the Le Chambon area of France are an inspiration. This book is geared toward younger readers, though I think most adults would find it interesting too.
Brenda
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
These are the testimonies of children written for children. I recommend if it is a topic of interest to you but otherwise you will not find the writing compelling. I read this shortly after Lest Innocent Blood be Shed which is a more in depth analysis of the sacrifices made by the villagers.
Deena
If this was truly intended for young readers, its a bit uneven. Some things are explained too simply, and repetitively. Other things are assumed. That being said, for an adult with any background in the Holocaust or Holocaust rescue, this is a quick read that provides a refreshing view of the rescue work done in Le Chambon and the surrounding area because it is the view of the rescued themselves. (Sometimes, the authors' insistence on sticking only to what the rescued knew or remembered was a bi ...more
Chrissy
Oct 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
A good solid read. The stories are clear and concise, and told in the voice of each child where possible. Each chapter ends with a few lines describing the child's life after Le Chambon. A wonderful glimpse of life during the Nazi occupation from several sides: the rescuers, the rescued, and even the resistance. I found only one distraction: the authors defined several words over and over in the text. Each time the word Gestapo was used, it was defined as "the German Secret Police." Even kids sh ...more
Tessa
Apr 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I found this book to be incredibly inspiring! The subject matter is tough to read about but I feel it's so important to research. This book was a collection of stories, mostly about children and children are inspiring to me. Their stories are told here, one by one - most Jewish, some not. The book also tells the stories of the brave adults who sheltered them. I made a list of all the timeless lessons I learned from this book and I was amazed at how much I wrote down. I'm truly glad I read it.
02jenifer A.
Jan 04, 2012 rated it did not like it
I don't really like to read World War books, so I didn't like this one. I got bored of it and didn't put that much interest in it.

Issue~ Children hidding from Nazis
Setting~ France
Characters~ No characters; real people
Opinion~ I don't really like to read World war books. I didn't like it because it isn't interesting, doesn't have very much life in it, Kind of boring.

Annie
Aug 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
It was toatally amazing. It talked about Hitler and how all the poeple hid in the mountains so they were safe when Hitler was killing and also about how he torchered many of the people who didn't go into the mountains.
Book-fan
France, WWII, and the Holocaust... and the incredible bravery and humanity of many French Protestant people to Jews and non-Jews alike.
Sandy
May 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book continuing my education concerning the children hidden from the Nazis by a village in France.
Maria Virginia
Jun 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Highly recommend! Read my full review here: http://www.saintsandrecipes.com/andre...
Kim
KrisT
Mar 24, 2008
Toni
Mar 21, 2008

• Ortografía y ortotipografía del español actual
  • A Bride for One Night: Talmud Tales
  • The Lost: A Search for Six of Six Million
  • The Ghost of Hannah Mendes
  • A New Culture of Learning: Cultivating the Imagination for a World of Constant Change
  • Ikigai: Los secretos de Japón para una vida larga y feliz
  • The Tenth Song
  • The Premonition Code
  • The Lost Letter
  • A Whole New Mind: Why Right-Brainers Will Rule the Future
  • Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us
  • inGenius: A Crash Course on Creativity
  • Start-up Nation: The Story of Israel's Economic Miracle
  • Rebel of the Sands (Rebel of the Sands, #1)
  • The Forbidden Flats (Sky Jumpers, #2)
  • Sky Jumpers (Sky Jumpers, #1)