Start by marking “Among the Joyful” as Want to Read:
Among the Joyful

Among the Joyful

Everyone knows that it’s a citizen’s duty to smile; negative emotion is a social contagion, an aggressive act against society. For Alaire Larkin, staying positive has never been a problem. Born into a prominent family, Alaire is a star student and a member of her school’s Joyful Court. Her future promises only happiness and a lifetime of service to the State, until the day ...more
Published February 7th 2014 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published February 4th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Among the Joyful, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Among the Joyful

Kayla Howarth
Jan 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Okay. Wow.

What would you do if you lived in a world where you could do nothing but smile - ALL DAY, EVERY DAY. I can tell you right now, that as someone who suffers from Bitchy Resting Face, I would've been classed as Inder many, many years ago.

I'm normally one for fast paced, action packed drama that has me nervous on the inside and on the edge of my seat for an entire read. I'll be honest in saying it wasn't until 80% through this book that I began to feel that kind of adrenaline.
Michelle
Mar 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Among the Joyful by Erin Eastham

Erin Eastham’s recently released young adult novel, Among the Joyful, was a quick read. I was drawn into the narrative from the very first line and then stayed up way too late on a work night to get through the final line.

Alaire, the main character, is a young lady who lacks the angst normal to the formative teen years, mostly because she doesn’t know what it is. She lives in Golden State, where happiness (or at least the appearance of it) is of forem
Tricia
Feb 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Among the Joyful is set in the future in the Golden State where happiness is valued above everything else and displaying negative emotions can get you banished from the community. The story follows Alaire as she realizes that not everyone is as joyful as they seem on the surface. As she struggles with how to deal with newfound feelings, she tries desperately not to lose her place within her community. Among the Joyful is fast-paced and draws you right into the story. I was on the edge of my seat ...more
Kristin
Feb 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
If you like the Hunger Games and Divergent trilogies, I highly recommend this book. A young adult novel set in a dystopic society where the main character's happy facade is broken. The consequences of her subsequent inability to conform and her discoveries about the truth of the society are deftly developed in this fast-paced and well written story.
Deborah Downes
Feb 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Imagine a place where not only public displays of negative emotions are against the law, but where literature containing such is banned. Such is the society teenage Alaire lives in and loves until truth and reality force her into making life altering decisions. This thought provoking debut young adult novel left me wanting more.
Bruce Gargoyle