Start by marking “The Idea Hunter: How to Find the Best Ideas and Make them Happen” as Want to Read:
The Idea Hunter: How to Find the Best Ideas and Make them Happen

The Idea Hunter: How to Find the Best Ideas and Make them Happen

Jack Welch said that, "someone somewhere has a better idea." Boynton and Fischer blow up the myth that great ideas come from innate creativity and show how anyone can come up with successful ideas for their business just by looking around them.

Too often, people fall into the trap of believing that great ideas have to be original. But rather than waiting for a brainstorm,
Audible Audio
Published April 14th 2011 by Gildan Media, LLC (first published April 4th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Idea Hunter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Idea Hunter

Start your review of The Idea Hunter: How to Find the Best Ideas and Make them Happen
Andrea James
Like a number of other "business" books out there, this has the feel of a magazine article and is appealing if you had a tiring week (as I did!) but perhaps a little lightweight perhaps if you're looking for a more substantial how-to guide. The authors managed to get a good number of the people they cited as examples to write marvellous reviews of the book so my expectations were perhaps raised too high.

Having said that, it did re-inspire me to observe the world through idea-seeking,
Surya Prakash
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic read on creating, absorbing, connecting, modifying, applying Ideas. The assessment at the end showed me my strong and weak areas to work upon deliberately. This is a life long pursuit which will reward us with great satisfaction and excellence in all areas of human lives.
Craig
Jan 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-improvement
The Idea Hunter discusses the process creative people use to hatch, develop and implement ideas (new or previously considered) to create new products, processes and ways of thinking. While the authors present the notion of idea creation in the business/commercial/professional context, the process may also be adapted to other areas of personal growth, advancement and enjoyment. Using the word "idea" as an acronym for four principles in the "idea getting process" (each letter in the word "idea" ...more
Don
Dec 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Be curious and interested, discerning is what is a source of joy--taps into talents/gifts—serves others, Buffet has a circle of confidence and does not stray outside of circle to tech stocks and perhaps government too, a 20% rule for time to refresh and innovate, be a good listener observer questioner, live in the ? not the answer perhaps, Interested diverse exercise agile test at end.
Tammy
Apr 16, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Motivating in some areas. Coul have just been a magazine article.
Jeff Bloomquist
Feb 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This is a great book! puts a whole new perspective on ideas. There might be a lot of them but only some of them will be great. Highly recommended.
Dave
Feb 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Passive point of view

great model and mindset on finding ideas. good examples of well known people who have done these things. ddddgghh hhhhh
Ron
Jun 09, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good stuff. Still, The Creative Habit is the best I've read on the subject.
Michael
Oct 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book contains some good, practical advice and A LOT of talk about the first generation iPod.
Shhhhh Ahhhhh
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brief but pointed. I didn't learn anything new from this book but it brought up some points that I am familiar with but have, perhaps, not used to my maximum benefit. It also cast some existing ideas into a slightly different light. Here is a brief summary of the ground it covers.

Ideas are a product of behaviors, not bright and shining moments of singular inspiration. They are a process of accretion and association and served best by saving all the scraps that your mind brings to you. Ideas come
Boni Aditya
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: creativity
How to Ideate - How to cultivate ideas, how to breed them, how to tame them, how to manufacture new ideas, how to stack them together, this is a tidy manual about how to ideate.

The Art of Ideation should have been a better title and I would have prospered if I had read this book a decade alas, if only I could turn back time.

The book is a derivative work, almost all of it is derived from autobiographies and biographies of great thinkers over the decades and analyzed to find similar patterns with
Lora Kostova
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great book on idea gathering that defines four main elements needed for successful idea hunting :

- Being interested - curiosity is more important than cleverness as it helps to see the extraordinary in ordinary happenings and leads to real learnings
- Diverse - expanding towards our discomfort zone, communicating with diverse people out of our usual social circle leads to discovering new perspectives and finding analogies between different areas
- Exercised - the idea hunting has to be a
Landon
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fantastic guide to ideation. My favorite insight from the book is that "the idea" is already out there. It's not about inventing something new; it's about combining, reworking and refining existing ideas. I'd recommend anyone reading through this book take the time to complete the exercises.
Nathanael
Jul 11, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those books that has to sell in airport bookstores. Traveling businesspeople stop, look, and think, "man, I should have more ideas than I do. I will buy this book." I have a better idea for them: read the title, glance at the table of contents, and then spend the rest of your flight thinking about what this book says. You'll be right.
Diane Joy
I liked it, but it did not blow me away by any means. Great concepts contained in the book though.
Don
Jul 01, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a brief guide to turning ideas into realities with accounts of those who navigated successful plans to fruition. It’s an interesting though, at times, unoriginal read.
Patrick Neylan
Remember the dark ages of scrambling to find the right lid for your coffee cup before civilisation was brought blinking into the sunshine world of standard lids? Never mind the budget deficit, a double-dip recession, famine and wars, my life was on the verge of collapse from the stress of working out which lid fitted my coffee cup at Starbucks.

The message of 'The Idea Hunter' by Andy Boynton and Bill Fischer is that it didn't take a genius to come up with the idea of a standard-size lid for
Jock Mcclees
I enjoyed the book while I was listening to it on tape. But I waited a while to write this and found I had to read the reviews to remember the details of the book. The book made a good point about there being lots of ideas out there and needing to keep track of possible solutions that might work on a later project if they don't get used on a current project. There points about where to look for ideas by going outside the normal places to avoid group think were good. They pointed to the ...more
Msladydeborah
May 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really like The Idea Hunter because there is a lot of solid and sensible information about the steps to take to find the best ideas.

The contents of this book is a combination of biographies about different inventors or business people, the way that they discovered the best idea and how they adapted to the situation to make that idea work.

My favorite part of this books is the section that challenges the reader to consider which one of the best ideas is the one to keep and why discarding or
Ravi Warrier
Observe and communicate - these were the only two things I came across throughout the 3/4th book I read before I decided to stop reading it. There are no tips or guidance as to how one can become an Idea Hunter, not even on observing and communicating.
In the past 9 months, it's been rare that I get disappointed with a book and this is the second time I have picked a book only to leave it before finishing it. It was an utter waste of time.
Torben Rasmussen
My initial take on this book is that there is not much new to be found on ideation.
It does however manage to give a good overview and many practical examples of how to approach the 'hunt' for ideas.
I am, however, somewhat puzzled at one part of the 'package', namely the recommendation to first 'find your gig' as this seems quite contrary to the musings on taking an agile approach later in the book.
Muna
Oct 17, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very easy to read... kinda inspiring... but didn't excite me much...

The authors discuss 4 principles for attitudes and strategies for idea hunters abbreviated in the letters of I-D-E-A...

I cannot say I knew everything mentioned in this book -because obviously I didn't- but it somehow felt like that...
Rusty Fulling
Dec 2011 - Good book when looking for ways to expand your creativity and new ideas. Did you know Thomas Edison created a automated ballot counting box? Too bad the politicians didn't want it because they used the slow counting process to lobby.

The idea hunter provides solutions towards creating ideas outside yourself. Get out and engage with others that are different than you.
Patrick Houweling
I really liked this book. It describes a practical framework for becoming more innovative, or in their words, how to become an Idea Hunter. The 4 elements of the framework are explained well and nicely illustrated with examples. The book ends with a set of 20 concrete questions you can ask yourself from time to time, in order to become a better Idea Hunter.
Kent Uhen
Nov 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Totally awesome book to get you thinking about how to be creative and innovative. I love how he talked about the fact that the people who tend to have the best innovations, interventions, or solutions to problems aren't those people who are so smart, but that are so interested in the problem.
Aditia Dwiperdana
Apr 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To be an Idea Hunter, we need to be interested in everything, draw a connection with our main passion, deliberately exercise our ide generating muscles, and iterate our ideas until it's best form emerges.
Thomas Burky
This is a really good compilation of approaches for basic idea harvesting habits. Simple and effective.
Mary Louise
Sep 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
GoToMeeting.com is having a webinar with authors: The Idea Hunter: Find the Best Ideas and Make Them Happen Thursday, October 06, 10 AM (PST) / 1 PM (EST)

Travis
Feb 22, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
Not engaging. Simplistic examples repeated unnecessarily.
Sinan Onur ALTINUÇ
Jul 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: si
Recommended for people looking for new research and business or artistic ideas.

• The Innovator's DNA: Mastering the Five Skills of Disruptive Innovators
  • Business Model Generation
  • The Other Side of Innovation: Solving the Execution Challenge
  • The Art of Innovation: Lessons in Creativity from IDEO, America's Leading Design Firm
  • 101 Design Methods: A Structured Approach for Driving Innovation in Your Organization
  • Running Lean: Iterate from Plan A to a Plan That Works
  • Business Model You: A One-Page Method for Reinventing Your Career
  • Street Smarts: An All-Purpose Tool Kit for Entrepreneurs
  • How to Get Ideas
  • The Design of Business: Why Design Thinking is the Next Competitive Advantage
  • Blah Blah Blah: What To Do When Words Don't Work
  • Simple Rules: How to Thrive in a Complex World
  • I Live in the Future & Here's How It Works: Why Your World, Work, and Brain Are Being Creatively Disrupted
  • Bold: How to Go Big, Create Wealth and Impact the World