Start by marking “The Pirate Takes a Bride (Misadventures in Matrimony, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Pirate Takes a Bride (Misadventures in Matrimony, #4)

The Pirate Takes a Bride

(Misadventures in Matrimony #4)

Ashley Brittany is living a nightmare. She's been mistakenly married to the one man she despises. Months ago, Lord Nicholas took her virtue then scorned her. Now, Ashley will do anything to have her revenge...anything but expose her ugly secret.

Nick Martingale has a secret, too: he's Captain Robin Hood, a pirate with a fearsome reputation. But when Nick learns his
Published May 7th 2014 by Shana Galen (first published May 2nd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Pirate Takes a Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pirate Takes a Bride

Start your review of The Pirate Takes a Bride (Misadventures in Matrimony, #4)
Maria
May 04, 2014 rated it it was ok
This was disappointing but not for the usual reasons (such as poor writing). While very well written and fast-paced and featuring a memorable hero and heroine, there are a lot of facets and layers to this story that make me uncomfortable.

I dont really like the love child trope, especially when the hero talks of the childs mother so unfeelingly. Nick and Zorah were lovers--she was a former slave--but he never loved her.

I also dont like when the hero expects the heroine to accept his child so
Susan Gorman
Feb 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Pirate Takes A Bride captures the spirit of author Shana Galen's Misadventures of Matrimony series, provides Nick and Ashley's back story which is alluded to in Blackthorne's Bride and takes the story to a new level.

Shana Galen's writing style has evolved during the time that the last novel in this series , Blackthorne's Bride was published and it shows in Pirate's storyline. Galen does an excellent job writing these characters which she created in the past in her present day writing
Jacknsusan knight
May 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
THE PIRATE TAKES A BRIDE by Shana Galen is the much anticipated conclusion to her Misadventures in Matrimony series. By a strange twist of fate Ashley Brittany finds herself married to Lord Nicholas Martingale. Both Ashley and Nick have things they need to hide. Nick's biggest secret is that he is a pirate! Most of the story takes place on Nick's ship. Galen paints a picture with words that is so realistic I could almost smell the sea, and I got a little seasick. Nick has revenge on his mind. He ...more
Patti
May 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was so excited to read Nick and Ashley's story and it definitely didn't disappoint! The thing that I loved most about Nick was how he treated Ashley. He was so careful with her. I loved it when he saw her scars for the first time and kissed them and told her she was beautiful. Swoon. He gave up everything for Ashley and Rissa and I just fell in love with him. Another great story by Shana Galen!
Barbara Rogers
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Series: Misadventures in Matrimony #4
Publication Date: 05/07/2014

Riveting! Sexy! Entertaining! Fast Paced! Memorable and relatable characters. This book is everything I have come to expect of a Shana Galen book. It is a great, exciting read.

I did not read the other books in this series and that did not seem to be a problem. However, this book was so good that I am going to read the rest of the series!

The beginning is a heartbreaking, gut wrenching scene. Ashley had given him her innocence only
Patty McKenna Van Hulle
The Pirate Takes a Bride (Misadventures in Matrimony, #4) by Shana Galen
Shana Galen

Greta Green has a legendary reputation for elopements that many poor love starved couples do to get around their families refuses. This is so not one of those story. This one has a serious irate and ferocious woman trapped with a blackguard who constantly has his hands and lips on every woman he see, except her!

Ashley Brittany is the only girl in her big and loving family. She grow up with 5 brothers, so she learned at an early age to fight with stick swords, throw elbows, use her
Vikki Vaught
May 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shana Galen does it again. What a delightful tale. This author has such amazing characters. They come to life on the page. And I love the adventure. I'm not normally drawn to pirate books, but I love everything Ms. Galen has written. Her stories are always so fast-paced and full of excitement that I can't put them done until I'm through and then I sigh because I don't want the book to end. I highly recommend this wonderful book.
Nicole Laverdure
Apr 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful adventure!
I always enjoy reading Shana Galens novels, they never disappoint me. The Pirate Takes a Bride is a fun and charming adventure filled with romance and action that will take you on a wonderful adventure. I loved her two main characters Nick and Ashley, which will take you for a spin on a wild pirate journey! This story is the conclusion of the Misadventures in Matrimony series! Ms. Galen, has done it again! I loved it!

Carrie
May 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read this out of order, will go back and read the others in the series. It was fun, easy to read and not much to ponder. The perfect book to read on the unofficial start of summer (Memorial Day).
Mary
Jul 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I just love a good pirate romance book! Lots of adventure and dange and a perfect HEA! To top it off, a very sexy read! I totally enjoyed this book.
Linda
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ashley Brittany lost her innocence to Nicholas Martingale one night. The next night, she catches him with another woman and her infatuation dies. Months later, she accompanies her friend on her elopement and finds that the priest is drunk and has married Ashley to Nick instead of her friend. Then she finds that Nick is the captain of a pirate ship that is ready to sail and she is going with them. How did her impetuousness get her in this much trouble?

Ashley is headstrong but comes up against
Alyn
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
I disliked the beginning of this book. The connection between the opening chapter and the first chapter felt off. It ends with Ashley vowing revenge and then all of a sudden she's married to Nick. You can tell that something definitely happened that lead up to their marriage. But the book doesn't go into it. It probably would have made more sense if I actually read the other books in this series first. But I didn't so that's why I disliked the beginning of the book.

I did like both Ashley and
Aug 19, 2017 rated it liked it
I usually hate high seas regency books... this one though I really enjoyed.

I loved especially the realism of what happened on the island and how it played a role in the story.
Carrie
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh the tension between these two was delicious.
Celeste
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A good plot with well conceived characters.
The gold formula an alpha male/heroe and a resiliente damsel in distress and the birth of a everlasting love story.
A good historical, regency, ChicLit
Patricia Wissore
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Just finished Ashley and Nick's story and loved it! Looks like I have a bit of reading to do since I started with this one. Now to get the previous 3 and start reading!
Jacinta
Dec 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Amazing, amazing, amazing!!!!

With her typical style of writing, Ms Galen has created a story so entrancing that I couldn't put the book down. It was the first book I had read of this series but it was so amazing that I didn't even realise until I looked it up to mark it as 'read'. This swashbuckling tale of a pirate and his resisting bride was humourous but it covered topics of serious natures, like the relinquishing total control in a marriage and the struggle of facing ones demons. I loved
Nessa
Feb 16, 2016 rated it liked it
As much as I love the idea of antagonistic love between the characters, I felt that there was more potential to be explored between Nick and Ashley. I am not favourable towards plot with children born out of wed lock, despite Rissa being an adorable girl.

But I have to agree with one of the reviewers that perhaps Nick was a bit lacking in his emotional department, something underplayed compared to his constant sexual deviations towards his wife, whom we know is a beauty.

I couldnt help but feel
Debbie
Dec 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book and the story of Ashley and Nicholas. Ashely is going with her friend who is going to Gretna Green to elope with a carpenter. When everything goes wrong and Ashley ends up married to Nicholas by a drunk priest. The next thing she knows is that a bunch of pirates are in the church and she is having to defend herself. Nick is just standing there and doing nothing. Realizing that the pirates are calling him Captain she figures out he is one. They grab her up and take her to Nicks ...more
Katie
One night, months ago, Nicholas Martingale took Ashley Brittany's virtue, then scorned her, causing her to hate him. Fast forward to the beginning of this novel, and Nick and Ashley are accidentally married in Gretna Green. While a titled lord, Nick is secretly a pirate, and needs to set sail to avenge his friend's death, and to protect the island of people that he calls family. Nick takes Ashley with him on the voyage, and when they reach the island, realize the unthinkable has happened. Nick ...more
DeeAnn
Sep 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
Awful. Which you know within the first 25 pages. And you think, wait, I've read some of her other stuff which I loved! (See Lord and Lady Spy series), this must turn around, right? No. It doesn't. Everything cliche that one associates with romance novels is in this. It's the fourth in this particular series, and it feels as if she was just...getting it over with. Perhaps the other three are better, but this was....cringe inducing. So bad it's like a first book, when an author is just figuring ...more
iamGamz
Sep 25, 2014 rated it liked it
A great swashbuckling tale that continues on from Blackthorne's Bride. It tells Ashley and Nicholas' story.

It takes you from London on a stolen coach to Gretna Green, Scotland. Then to a small island near the Straits of Gibraltar and back to Great Britain on a pirate ship. A journey that is wrought with battles against Her Majesty's Navy, turbulent storms and Barbary pirates.

A fun read that will keep you reading through the wee hours of the morning.

Ms. Jerry
Aug 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Another Great Book By Shana Galen.

Of the four books I do not know which one I liked the most. They each are good in there own way. Ashley did not know her husband Nicholas was a pirate and she was headed for adventure. I would recommend all of Shana Galen's books to everyone. Try them I do not think you will be disappointed.
Mary Larsen
Nov 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
I found this book fun and a lighthearted read. I enjoyed the main characters especially the strong female lead. This was the 4th book in the series but I was able to read it as a stand alone without difficulty. I will be reading the other books in the series soon.
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
So so so silly. Formulaic but fun. Fabulous palette cleanser after reading some really dark books. Kindle version I read would benefit tremendously from an editor.
Carla
Jan 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
I enjoyed this book, although it has too much drama for my taste (along, strangely enough, with quite a bit of silliness). It ends the misadventures in matrimony series.
Toni
Apr 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. Going to go back and read the rest in the series now since I started with the last book.
Sharon
Jan 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Ashley and Nick-
The was a dramatic romance story with little violence and lots of drama, some scary drama. Their story did have a satisfying HEA
Susan
Jul 12, 2015 rated it liked it
This had too much sexual language.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 12, 2015 09:38AM

• Dukes Prefer Blondes (The Dressmakers, #4)
  • The Virtuoso (Duke's Obsession, #3; Windham, #3)
  • How to Dance with a Duke (Ugly Ducklings, #1)
  • The Duelist's Seduction (Seduction #1)
  • Rules for a Proper Governess (MacKenzies & McBrides, #7)
  • No Other Duke Will Do (Windham Brides, #3)
  • You May Kiss the Bride (The Penhallow Dynasty, #1)
  • Loving Lord Ash (Duchess of Love, #3)
  • What a Wallflower Wants (Bad Boys & Wallflowers, #3)
  • The Lion's Daughter
  • Summer Is for Lovers (Second Sons, #2)
  • Mad About the Major
  • A Little Thing Called Love
  • Too Scot to Handle (Windham Brides, #2)
  • The Soldier (Duke's Obsession, #2; Windham, #2)
  • A Rogue of Her Own (Windham Brides, #4)
  • The Highlander (Victorian Rebels, #3)
  • A Noble Masquerade (Hawthorne House, #1)
Shana Galen is three-time Rita award nominee and the bestselling author of fast-paced, witty, and adventurous Regency romances. Kirkus says of her books, "The road to happily-ever-after is intense, conflicted, suspenseful and fun," and RT Bookreviews calls her books lighthearted yet poignant, humorous yet touching." She taught English at the middle and high school level off and on for eleven ...more

Misadventures in Matrimony (4 books)
  • No Man's Bride (Misadventures in Matrimony, #1)
  • Good Groom Hunting (Misadventures in Matrimony, #2)
  • Blackthorne's Bride (Misadventures in Matrimony, #3)

News & Interviews

With clever detectives, missing jewels, murderous women, daring spies, and more, mysteries and thrillers deliver page-turning delight with ever...