Start by marking “Ashes to Ashes (Burn for Burn #3)” as Want to Read:
Ashes to Ashes (Burn for Burn #3)

Ashes to Ashes

(Burn for Burn #3)

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  10,238 ratings  ·  1,675 reviews
New Year's Eve ended with a bang and Mary, Kat and Lillia may not be prepared for what is to come.

After Rennie's death, Kat and Lillia try to put the pieces together of what happened to her. They both blame themselves. If Lillia hadn't left with Reeve... If Kat had only stayed with Rennie... Things could have been different. Now they will never be the same.

Only Mary knows
Published September 16th 2014 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Ashes to Ashes, please sign up.
Tina The ending was the absolutely worst part of the series. The 'revenge' was disappointing at best - it seemed to me like the author wanted to make a…moreThe ending was the absolutely worst part of the series. The 'revenge' was disappointing at best - it seemed to me like the author wanted to make a point about peace but all she ended up doing was proving that the angry, hateful spirit can punish everyone else for the mistake they made and get away with it. Which is a real crappy point to make, if I may add.

Also, the whole Lil story did a 180 degree turn for no reason other than the shock effect and it doesn't make any sense whatsoever. After the relationship between Reeve and Lil developed in the second book, and then continued like this in the third, I can't see how she'd ever choose Alex whom she'd never had feelings for, who she'd never even considered and who was just a minor character in all the other books really.

And about Kat, I don't even know what to say. She didn't have any real character development from the first book, and the relationship between her and Alex could really have worked out well which is why I'm kinda shocked the authors didn't take it anywhere.

And I still can't believe what happened to Reeve - he didn't deserve any of this. As if he hadn't suffered enough. This is why I wish I hadn't even read the last book, and just stopped after the second. Now the entire series are ruined for me.(less)
Migs Fiel Yes! She turned into this whiny Witch-with-a-B who got to flirt with both Reeve and Alex and got away with it, just because the guys love her. I think…moreYes! She turned into this whiny Witch-with-a-B who got to flirt with both Reeve and Alex and got away with it, just because the guys love her. I think she gradually became more like Rennie in the third book. And, there weren't any consequences she had to go through. That's the only thing I hate about the book. She's the cause of almost all the major conflicts in the book, but just because she's "Princess Lillia," of course, other people had to join and solve her problems for her. I love Kat and Mary, though. I also hate that the authors still push Alex to Lillia when she had let him down and chose Reeve over him every time - it's, like, anti-masculinist. Men aren't that dumb.(less)

·  10,238 ratings  ·  1,675 reviews

Start your review of Ashes to Ashes (Burn for Burn #3)
Becca
Aug 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So this is what needs to happen in Ashes to Ashes: Mary needs to leave Reeve alone, stop being annoying, and go haunt someone else. Alex needs to grow some balls, forget about Lillia, and admit he's got feelings for Kat, stat. Kat needs to get accepted into Oberlin. Reeve and Alex need to beat the crap out of the guy who raped Lillia. Rennie needs to, like, come back alive because her death is gonna shake up a whole bunch of drama. And last, but certainly not least, Reeve and Lillia need to live ...more
Faye, la Patata
Warning: there will be a lot of cussing involved in this review, because I am pissed off as hell. I'll try to keep it as spoiler-free as possible, but I cannot give any guarantee about the cussing. My mind is on fire, and the need to vent is insanely banging the insides of my stone-cold heart. Okay, maybe it's not stone-cold, but it's hurt and disappointed and it needs to raaaage.

First of all, let it be known that I absolutely loved this series. I was completely immersed in each of the three
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
I really wish I hadn't read the summary for this book, because it just spoiled me for book 2.

Goddamn it.
Aj the Ravenous Reader
I am not entirely happy with how things ended because dayum!

. *Sniffs* But I suppose the authors are just trying to keep it real or as real as a contemporary-slash-paranormal YA could get and yes, you read that right. The series turned out to be a paranormal-mystery-thriller and I honestly enjoyed it. All the while I thought it was going to be a fun YA chick-lit read because of the covers. (lol!).

So I won’t be saying anything more than what’s already said because it’s really best to read the
Melanie
See more reviews at YA Midnight Reads

Burn for BurnandFire with Fire aresome of the best high school revenge stories I've ever read. Han and Vivian manage to create drama that doesn't feel aimless or overly melodramatic and characters with incredible depth and growth. It's safe to say that yes, I loved this series up until this very last instalment which has pretty much tainted my feelings towards the entire series. Words do not even begin to explain how disappointed I am with this series ender.

I
Harmonie
Sep 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book was headed for 5 stars until the end. I was NOT happy with the way they wrapped it up.
pdbkwm
Dec 03, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, it sure is crazy how much this book didn't live up to the hype I had for it. I loved Burn for Burn. Fire with Fire was just okay, mainly because it felt like some of the characters didn't act like themselves and the whole reveal about Mary the Ghost. I really hated that reveal. Sadly, Ashes to Ashes takes all of the things that I didn't like from the second book and intensifies it here.

After the reveal about Mary being a Ghost and seeing Rennie die in a horrific accident, I thought the book
Tina
I really, truly wish I hadn’t read this last installment because it ruined the whole series for me. God, it’s midnight and I’m so fucking close to sobbing my eyes out I can’t believe it. I feel like I never want to read another series ever again.

So even though it’s the middle of the night, I’m typing away on my laptop like crazy because I really need to get this off my chest and I’m probably making no sense right now, but I just HATED this ending. It couldn’t have ended worse. I was
fyt
Sep 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I stayed up till 4am for this book and the ending just made me want to throw my book out the window but hug it at the same time. The epilogue was so realistic it hurt my feelings. WHY JENNY HAN & SIOBHAN VIVIAN WHY. WHY. WHY!!!!

(view spoiler)
Carrima Quinones
I just finished Fire with Fire like two seconds ago and I can't fricken breath !!!!! I need ashes to ashes to come out like right now ! I can't wait any longer , I petition for an early release !!! *dies*
Fuzaila
Well, that was a freaking Indian soap opera. You know it’s crazy and unrealistic as hell, and yet, you find it hard to take your eyes off the screen – in this case, page. I expected a lot better ending from the authors who write some of the best realistic fiction I’ve known, but looks like they went a bit overboard with the supernatural plot.

Taking off after that unexpected twist in Fire with fire, the book moves right into action – the sizzling Tabatsky-Cho romance, Kat’s awesomeness and along
Deanna
The ending was bittersweet/sad. This book was just all over the place, which is perfectly fine when it comes to the fact that there are three protagonists (Mary, Kat, and Lillia). The issue was that there were too many problems/issues that were either handled too quickly, took forever to be addressed, or barely brushed over.

As a person who disliked Mary since book 1, I enjoyed the fact that Mary didn't have as many chapters as Lillia or Kat did. As a person who likes Lillia, I was ecstatic to
This was an okay end to the series, but I found the pace quite slow.

Mary really became quite psychotic in this book, blaming Reeve for her suicide – like he made her do it! Lillia was totally head over heels for Reeve, and Kat was Kat.

The storyline in this was about Mary getting her revenge on Reeve, but the pace was really slow, and it seemed like not a lot happened compared to the length of the book.

The ending was okay, but I was pleased it was over by that point.

6 out of 10
Bee (Heart Full of Books)
THE ENDING MADE ME SO ANGRY.
Angry enough for caps. Ugh, I'm so annoyed! This had so much potential to be great with amazing closure BUT NO. The ending felt like a rushed job and I was just shaking my head in disbelief at the epilogue. No thank you. If you read this series - and I would still recommend it, because the second book is FAB - then completely ignore the epilogue, because trust me, it feels unfinished whether you read it or not, but if you don't then at least you can pretend things
Maddie
May 29, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-books
Actual rating: 3.5 stars

The series has come a long way since the beginning. The girls deal with bigger problems than what to wear to a school dance. The drama intensity was HIGH, to say the least. If you're looking for something with a Pretty Little Liars feel, where everything escalates almost to the unimaginable, this is it!
Elena
Jul 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
WHAT?! NO NO NO NO NO.
I don't even know how to rate this. The epilogue destroyed EVERYTHING for me. I'm so pissed right now.
I need a break.

______________________________________

So after calming down a bit, I think I am able to write down my general thoughts on this last installment.
I absolutely adored the first two books and after all the revelations the second book left us with I couldn't wait for the third book to arrive. And in general it didn't disappoint me. Ashes to Ashes was exactly
Alwiyia
Pretty sure that was one of the worst endings I've ever read which really sucks.

The second book was so good and I was so excited to see what would happen next and it was just disappointing. Only one thing was resolved in the end. It felt like all the build up throughout the trilogy fell flat.

The only reason this is 3 stars is because I really grew to care about a lot of the characters in these books and I still flew through it and enjoyed the writing styles. It was just a disappointing ending.
Emily (Obsessed Reader)
I feel like this series was one crazy, insane, non-stop whirlwind. I loved it. However the ending was so abrupt and not completely satisfying, but I didn't hate it like I thought I would considering other people's reactions. I'm sad it's over, honestly. I would highly recommend this series to anyone.
Amber (Books of Amber)

After a fantastic start book and an absolutely epic follow up, I was sure that Ashes to Ashes was going to go out with a bang and cement this series as one of my favourites. I waited (very impatiently) after the cliffhanger in Fire With Fire and I am so fucking mad that THIS is what I got. There will be spoilers in this review but I will hide them under a spoiler tag because everyone needs to know HOW FUCKING ANNOYED I AM.

First of all, most of the story was okay. We had Lillia being a QUEEN and
Emerald Sue
May 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Overall Thoughts
All I gotta say it that this was such a fun and addictive series! Not to mention just totally off the charts with insanity. It really ended up going somewhere completely weird and unexpected but totally awesome. The second book was by far my favorite cause it had the most twist and turns. And everything leading up to it was just pure fun high school drama and who doesn't enjoy that? lol Really enjoyed this series. Seriously, read it.

Until Next Time,
Emerald BookWorm
Peony
Dec 15, 2013 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
i think this novel can go a variety of ways — the characters are all so complex, and we still have to learn more about mary.

(to be honest, i haven't forgiven reeve for what he did to her. just because he's sweet on lillia doesn't mean anything. you can learn a lot about someone by the way they treat people who matter to them, and then the people who don't. i'm not falling for his ~*~nice guy~*~ act quite yet. not after he told mary to go fuck herself.)

can we all agree that lillia's milkshakes
Rachel  (APCB Reviews)
Apr 11, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: disappointments

Read the full review @ A Perfection Called Books

Ashes to Ashes had great moments, it had okay moments, it had horrible moments.

What I really enjoyed about Ashes to Ashes was the suspense. Readers were on-edge the whole time! This book is a definite page-turner. Having no idea what was going to happen next, I kept reading. There were lots of twists and turns, things I never saw coming. The plot truly attached itself to the reader.

The three points of view really brought the story together as a
Mereice
Aug 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jasprit
What have I just read? Seriously Burn for Burn was a brilliant start to this wonderful series and Fire for Fire just made me so happy, but also ripped me to shreds. With Ashes to Ashes I just wanted to hug the book but also throw it across the other room. Basically the same feelings I had a year ago were dredged up once more.

It was great being back with my favourite characters once more, yes their lives had been thoroughly shook up since the last book and I wanted to know how everyone had been
Jacquelyn
Very disappointed. :( I didn't really see the point of this one. It was very boring and I felt like not much went on (to me). The ending was really boring and not mind blowing as I thought it would be..
April (Aprilius Maximus)
NOOOOOOO! The ending felt so rushed and it didn't end the way I wanted it to! I need more answers!
Eriele the Mermaid ❤
I received an advance reading copy of this book during the Jenny Han book signing event in Manila last June 21, 2014. (Thanks again to Jenny Han and National Book Store.)

This review is totally unbiased; if you’ve seen my posts about other Han books, you’ll know I didn’t like most of them. Also spoiler-free but may or may not contain spoilers from the first two books.)

Cover. Very pretty. I call this new edition the “No Filter” kind. If you noticed the other editions of Burn For Burn and Fire With
Toni
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
2 Stars

As I did with the second book I'm doing with this one. Spoilery opinions below:

(view spoiler)
Belén
Sep 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
WHAT THE FUCK DID I JUST READ.
I'm so confused about this book.
i think i loved it but damn i also think i hated it.
Don't get me wrong, this book is amazing, but i feel like my insides are being destroyed because of that one thing at the end of the book that didn't come up the way i wanted it to go. Anyway i loved it instead of that and i really recommend these books.
Beatrice Masaluñga
Every revenge has its consequences.

After Rennie's death, guilt washes over Lillia because dating Reeve secretly behind Rennie's back and their friendship didn't end well. However, Kat had a reconciliation before her death. Things went back to normal as it should, Lillia and Kat bonded but curious of Mary's unusual disappearance. They thought she left the Jar Island for good but there is something more.

"Revenge is sweeter than you ever were."

Mary is a ghost and her soul is trapped on Jar

• The List
  • Not That Kind of Girl
  • Two Can Keep a Secret
  • 9 Days and 9 Nights
  • Stay Sweet
  • 99 Days
  • Deadly Little Sins (Prep School Confidential, #3)
  • Fame, Fate, and the First Kiss
  • This Lie Will Kill You
  • Maybe This Time
  • The Last Boy and Girl in the World
  • Ten Things We Did (and Probably Shouldn't Have)
  • Love, Life, and the List
  • The Cheerleaders
  • Listen to Your Heart
  • The Good Girls (The Perfectionists, #2)
  • Shiny Broken Pieces (Tiny Pretty Things, #2)
  • Five Feet Apart

Burn for Burn (3 books)
  • Burn for Burn (Burn for Burn, #1)
  • Fire with Fire (Burn for Burn, #2)
“Life is long if you let it be.” 17 likes
“Years from now this will be what I remember when I remember my spring break senior year. It will be this moment right here. The smell of chlorine on his skin. The way the sun dips slow into the water before it disappears. The first time I ever told a boy I loved him.” 17 likes