Start by marking “The Boy I Love” as Want to Read:
The Boy I Love

The Boy I Love

3.53  ·  Rating details ·  155 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
When the boy you love asks you to keep his greatest secret, do you? A thought-provoking, achingly complex novel about prejudice and the many meanings of love from Nina de Gramont, author of Meet Me at the River, which Kirkus Reviews called a “must-read.”

Sixteen-year-old Wren has been content to stay in her best friend Ally’s shadow. It doesn’t bother her that Ally gets the
Published September 2nd 2014 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Boy I Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boy I Love

Shane
May 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Intriguing, thought-provoking, and heartfelt. I must say The Boy I Love turned out to be one heck of a surprise. Initially, I didn't know how I'd feel about the story because in the first two chapters I was iffy, and I suspected one of the themes right off so I feared it'd be too predictable and I wouldn't enjoy it. But I was wrong. I'm also happy to not have read the synopsis beforehand because yeah, dead giveaway.

So, aside from the issue of two friends having a childish fallout over a guy wit
Tracy Bilen
A beautiful book. I really loved it. It's a shame, though, that there's no back cover copy, at least on the hardcover version. Because I think it's hard to take a chance on a book when you don't know what it's about. But the first page pulled me right in, and I'm so glad I gave it a try.
Bibliojunkies
* * * 1/2

Wren and Ally will do anything to spend the school year together. So when Ally’s family moves away from Cutty River, Wren’s parents allow her to switch schools so that she can attend Williamsport High School with Ally. Ally, with her sights set on the cheerleading team and a new boyfriend, is determined to be one of the popular kids. Wren, other than being determined to be involved in theater, took a much more laid back approach to her new high school.

The outcome in this scenario is pr
Michelle Arrow
This review can also be found on A Thousand Lives Lived, check it out for more!

Here is a fact about my reading habits that I just love: I love reading books that are good, and that are underrated. Nina de Gramont's The Boy I Love perhaps could make you expect this to be the cheesiest, most predictable book that you will ever read in the history of books. The cover is extremely cheesy, if I do say so myself. Forget about all of those negative thoughts pushing you away from reading this. Forget ab
Kasey
May 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*I received this book from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review*
The Boy I Love was actually very good, and it exceeded my expectations. I was intrigued by the subject matter, but it also left me thinking that it would probably just be incredibly cliche or full of immature characters. There was a little of that, but for the most part I found that it handled the topic with sensitivity and really had a message for the target audience.

I really enjoyed Wren, I liked that there were moments that
Kayla Revier
May 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book Review: The Boy I Love
Nina De Gramont’s The Boy I Love is a take on a love story gone wrong. The main character Wren goes through school having a big crush on this guy Tim Greenlaw, but little did she know he had a big secret. Throughout the book you will see the struggles that people go through in high school. Even though it sounds like a sappy love story, it’s not.
The main character Wren lives on a farm with her parents, and they are having struggles with paying the bills. They were sc
Waiting For Wentworth
I really kinda loved this book. From Tim navigating his way through a tough time and trying to be true to himself, to Wren and her emotional attachments, this story really had a lot of heart.

The characters are what made this book so special. I really liked Wren. She had such a big heart and was a strong character despite struggling with the weight of her family's many problems. Wren was dealing with some important changes in her life, but all she really wanted was for everything to stay the same
Carroll Winn
Apr 30, 2015 rated it liked it
I liked that the book was short and had big print(smile). Typical coming to terms with the reality of same sex attraction. Since it is about an athlete, his 'regular guy' looks and carriage made coming out more of a struggle according to the author. The vast culture of men and sports makes me dubious that same sex love is so rare. Frankly I think the image of flaming/obvious gay men and women with mustaches is based more on popular imagination than on reality. This book does not deal with the co ...more
Suzanne
Apr 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Basically, this book had me at "alligator" on the first page. I'm immediately drawn to books featuring alligators,and I was happy about the many details of the natural world. Also, I was pleased to discover that THE BOY I LOVE is set in the Carolinas, and that de Gramont takes up themes of social justice that are often glossed over in books for both adults and younger readers set in the South. Thus, there are no lovable, loyal African American housekeepers (thank God!). Finally, I like the unaba ...more
Hudachee
Nov 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Its a beautiful book. There's a complete twist in the story which I had never imagined it to be. Really love the storyline and the main character, Wrenny.
  • Secret Lies
  • Waterways
  • Bi-Normal
  • Our Own Private Universe
  • Power Play
  • Forest of Whispers (Forest of Whispers, #1)
  • What Remains