Start by marking “The Boy I Love” as Want to Read:
The Boy I Love

The Boy I Love

When the boy you love asks you to keep his greatest secret, do you? A thought-provoking, achingly complex novel about prejudice and the many meanings of love from Nina de Gramont, author of Meet Me at the River, which Kirkus Reviews called a “must-read.”

Sixteen-year-old Wren has been content to stay in her best friend Ally’s shadow. It doesn’t bother her that Ally gets the
Published September 2nd 2014 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Boy I Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boy I Love

Start your review of The Boy I Love
Shane
May 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Intriguing, thought-provoking, and heartfelt. I must say The Boy I Love turned out to be one heck of a surprise. Initially, I didn't know how I'd feel about the story because in the first two chapters I was iffy, and I suspected one of the themes right off so I feared it'd be too predictable and I wouldn't enjoy it. But I was wrong. I'm also happy to not have read the synopsis beforehand because yeah, dead giveaway.

So, aside from the issue of two friends having a childish fallout over a guy
Michelle Wrona
This review can also be found on A Thousand Lives Lived, check it out for more!

Here is a fact about my reading habits that I just love: I love reading books that are good, and that are underrated. Nina de Gramont's The Boy I Love perhaps could make you expect this to be the cheesiest, most predictable book that you will ever read in the history of books. The cover is extremely cheesy, if I do say so myself. Forget about all of those negative thoughts pushing you away from reading this. Forget
Bibliojunkies
* * * 1/2

Wren and Ally will do anything to spend the school year together. So when Ally’s family moves away from Cutty River, Wren’s parents allow her to switch schools so that she can attend Williamsport High School with Ally. Ally, with her sights set on the cheerleading team and a new boyfriend, is determined to be one of the popular kids. Wren, other than being determined to be involved in theater, took a much more laid back approach to her new high school.

The outcome in this scenario is
Tracy Bilen
A beautiful book. I really loved it. It's a shame, though, that there's no back cover copy, at least on the hardcover version. Because I think it's hard to take a chance on a book when you don't know what it's about. But the first page pulled me right in, and I'm so glad I gave it a try.
Kasey
May 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*I received this book from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review*
The Boy I Love was actually very good, and it exceeded my expectations. I was intrigued by the subject matter, but it also left me thinking that it would probably just be incredibly cliche or full of immature characters. There was a little of that, but for the most part I found that it handled the topic with sensitivity and really had a message for the target audience.

I really enjoyed Wren, I liked that there were moments
Kayla Revier
May 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book Review: The Boy I Love
Nina De Gramont’s The Boy I Love is a take on a love story gone wrong. The main character Wren goes through school having a big crush on this guy Tim Greenlaw, but little did she know he had a big secret. Throughout the book you will see the struggles that people go through in high school. Even though it sounds like a sappy love story, it’s not.
The main character Wren lives on a farm with her parents, and they are having struggles with paying the bills. They were
Sandra (Waiting For Wentworth)
I really kinda loved this book. From Tim navigating his way through a tough time and trying to be true to himself, to Wren and her emotional attachments, this story really had a lot of heart.

The characters are what made this book so special. I really liked Wren. She had such a big heart and was a strong character despite struggling with the weight of her family's many problems. Wren was dealing with some important changes in her life, but all she really wanted was for everything to stay the
Carroll Winn
Apr 30, 2015 rated it liked it
I liked that the book was short and had big print(smile). Typical coming to terms with the reality of same sex attraction. Since it is about an athlete, his 'regular guy' looks and carriage made coming out more of a struggle according to the author. The vast culture of men and sports makes me dubious that same sex love is so rare. Frankly I think the image of flaming/obvious gay men and women with mustaches is based more on popular imagination than on reality. This book does not deal with the ...more
Suzanne
Apr 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Basically, this book had me at "alligator" on the first page. I'm immediately drawn to books featuring alligators,and I was happy about the many details of the natural world. Also, I was pleased to discover that THE BOY I LOVE is set in the Carolinas, and that de Gramont takes up themes of social justice that are often glossed over in books for both adults and younger readers set in the South. Thus, there are no lovable, loyal African American housekeepers (thank God!). Finally, I like the ...more
Katie Pierson
Apr 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
I loved the gay-boy/straight girl relationship, the utterly convincing "world building" in the South, and the underlying theme of a white family coming to terms with its slave-owning past.
Marsha
Wren Piner is your average teenager…well, an average teenager who lives on a horse farm. She’s grown up in a happy, liberal atmosphere with a gorgeous best friend. She’s not envious of Allie’s looks and Allie isn’t a frenemy. She’s a shy, pretty girl who draws boys by her looks and Allie keeps them with her sparkling wit. In short, they’ve been besties for effsies and nothing will come in the way of their friendship.

So naturally, matters take a turn for the worse, challenging their amity.

This
Stephen
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The best books are those that surprise you. For me this was one of those. In the mood for a sticky sweet romance (even if it was M/F) I picked this up and pretty much guessed the secret from the cover blurb. (view spoiler)

But that was confirmed early on and yet this book continued to surprise. The parallels between society's attitudes toward miscegenation and gay marriage were evident. The troubled consciences of
Skylar
May 12, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
So I picked up this book (yes, mainly for the cover) and thought, "Hmmm.... maybe something good will come out of this." Not a chance mates.

It started out pretty slow, so I came onto here to read reviews (does this get any better? Or should I just stop now?) I figured out his "secret", needless to say it's the reason why I put this book down. His secret? Glad you asked, he's gay.

I know surprised me too!
Bookapocalypsevictim
What is the point of this book? The protagonist Wren does not know, so how can I? I feel like the focal point should have been losing her home which doubled as a ranch for horses. The Tim character, the one the narrator lives, is gay, which is nice but very contrived and one dimensional. His depression and spoiler! suicide attempt is an effort by the author to pull of drama, but fizzles quickly as it is not believable. Two stars.
James
Jun 19, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf, rainbow-read
Narration drowns in stream-of-conscious plot exposition. Could not find a single F to give.
Kathy
Apr 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Boy I Love by Nina de Gramont is a thought-provoking novel of friendship that touches on a number of relevant social issues. In many ways, it is a typical coming of age story with all of the usual teenage angst and drama. However, through the adroit first person narration of sixteen year old Wren Piner, this ordinary novel becomes an extraordinary tale of friendship and courage that is heartfelt and compelling.

Wren has been best friends with Allie Hackett for most of their lives, but their
Lady Donato
Aug 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wren and ally are best friends and they both moved to a different school, well Wren did because of Ally. Ally likes this guy named Tim but the problem was Tim shows more interest in Wren than Ally. Wren and Ally’s friendship slowly deteriorated when Wren was spending more time with Tim. Well Tim has a big secret and that secret made him and Wren really good friends. Well the theme of the book is about friendship and loyalty… Would you sacrifice your relationship with your long time best friend ...more
Lori
Sep 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This review first appeared on my blog

Like: The characters.
Dislike: Nothing.

Would I recommend it?

Yes, I would 100% recommend this book. It's been a about three years since I last read a Young Adult book, so when I received this book I wasn't sure if I would enjoy it at first, but once I started reading I loved it. I received 'The Boy I Love' Thursday and I finished reading it last night.

Part of the reason I wasn't sure I would like the book is because most
Jenna
Apr 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the cover it was the first thing I noticed.

Wren has this beautiful soul she is so good, she is brave and kick ass in a non-threatening way.
Wren and Ally have been best friends since kindergarten, Ally is very pretty and Wren is just a down to earth girl that loves her parents and animals.

Wren and Ally switch school and now Wren is shining and Ally gets jealous, it gets worse when Wren catches the eye of Tim, Ally’s crush.

Tim is a great character I felt so bad for him living with the lies
Read InAGarden
Wren's family owns an estate and horse farm that dates back to revolutionary times. But things are not going well financially for the family and they may have to sell the horses and the farm. Wren hopes she can find comfort for her sorrows in her friends Ally and Tim but it turns out that Ally and Tim have other things on their minds. Ally is jealous over Wren and Tim's friendship and Tim is living a closeted lifestyle (hiding his homosexuality from everyone but Wren). As the novel progresses, ...more
Sandy
Wren Piner's life is suddenly and rapidly changing. The family farm, which has been in her family for generations, has been foreclosed on forcing her family to plan a move. She changes to a new school with her best friend Allie. They both have a crush on the same guy, Tim. She gets a part in the school play while Allie is passed over during cheerleading tryouts, causing a rift in the friendship. In this coming of age novel, secrets come out, emotions overtake the main characters, and there's a ...more
Amber
Aug 10, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Jo Ann Mulligan
Chili Library
A teen reviewer says:

It was a good read. I liked the characters and the plot was good as well. A little predictable at parts but still a great book!

NO I have not read books by this author before.
YES I would read more books by this author.
Mel Barnes
May 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: qp, ya
Originally read May 26, 2014
Reread Sept 18, 2016

Parents that are around! Yay
An unpredictable storyline. Yay

Thank you for a new story that surprised me and kept me reading :)
Jessica
Not NEARLY as bad as the cover and title might have you think.

I mean, nothing mind-blowing either, but it's not even really a romance! Ack!
Elizabeth
Jan 11, 2017 rated it liked it
There's books that are surprising and then there are ones that are just disappointing. Unfortunately this one was disappointing.
Lindsay Catari
this was reaaally different and not anything I expected.!!
simple185
Aug 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
really didn't expect the story to end up this way. nice developments along the way, I guess I liked twists in plots sometimes.
Briliantina
Dec 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Teens, high school drama, popular crowd, lgbt, bullying, acceptance, love, family problems. a complete mix in a sweet and beautifully written YA book. i love this.

• Coming Up for Air
  • Things I Can't Forget
  • Stealing Parker
  • Dairy Queen (Dairy Queen, #1)
  • The Off Season (Dairy Queen, #2)
  • Heretics Anonymous
  • Pivot Point (Pivot Point, #1)