Start by marking “This Is How It Ends” as Want to Read:
This Is How It Ends

This Is How It Ends

If you could see the future, would you want to? After the disturbing visions Riley and his friends see turn out to be more than hallucinations, fate takes a dangerous twist in this dark and suspenseful page-turner.

Riley and his friends are gearing up for their senior year by spending one last night hanging out in the woods, drinking a few beers, and playing Tru
Published October 7th 2014 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about This Is How It Ends, please sign up.
artisteliana This book is about five teenagers who find a pair of binoculars in the woods and each see a different vision. Riley sees a vision of himself in a dorm…moreThis book is about five teenagers who find a pair of binoculars in the woods and each see a different vision. Riley sees a vision of himself in a dorm room, sleeping with the girl who has a crush on. Unfortunately, that girl is his best friend's girlfriend. Another character sees a vision of her dad murdered and soon enough the vision comes true. The characters start to wonder if the visions they saw were their future, and each have different conflicts in their lives relating to their visions and what is going on in their present, including a murder mystery. I would recommend this book!(less)

Start your review of This Is How It Ends
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
This is a well-written YA mystery, but from the blurb, I expected more darkness and more excitement. I enjoyed it, but I found it lacking on the promised darkness and suspense.

The good:
1. A well-developed group of best friends, male and female
2. A realistic amount of romance
3. Psychologically complex characters
4. Great small-town atmosphere
5. A well-written love triangle based on friendship, and a light amount of romance
6. A male narrator who is neither an asshole, nor a g/>The
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Simon Pulse and Edelweiss for the purpose of providing an honest review.

3 Stars

I liked this book but must admit that I am a bit disappointed because I honestly believe that it had the potential to be so much more than it was. A group of teens with the power to see the future using a magLife
I
Taylor Knight
Oct 10, 2014 rated it did not like it
Super clique and predictable. I really haven't read anything so un-original in my life. I couldn't even finish it.
Sandra
Aug 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
So damn predictable. After finishing, i realized my theories about how this book would end was right. Haha. I'm a freakin' genius! just kidding! Haha

The ending was pretty open-ended which i liked, but it lacks a lot of characterization for me which in turn caused me to not like the characters too much.

Full review to follow. Maybe.

thanks Edelweiss and the publisher for providing me the review copy.
Abbie
Feb 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-to-review
(I received a copy from Edelweiss, in exchange for an honest review.)

Actual rating - 2.5

This Is How It Ends was an okay read, but it took me ages to get into it.

The characters in this were alright, but they could all be quite stupid at times.
They completely forgot about the binoculars for ages!

The first half of this was pretty slow, so/>
Marga
Actual Rating: 2.5/5 stars

Okay. Have you read the blurb of this book? If not, go read it! It's basically shouting: "Go read me!" It looked so inviting and promising that I'm so happy I got approved of my ARC request.

Sadly, it didn't reach my expectations.

Synopsis:

It started when a group of friends who were hanging out and decided to play Truth or Dare. So Riley was dared to went to the cave with Sarah, whom he has a puppy-dog crush AND his bestfriend Trip's girlfriend, to tell her a se
Gisbelle
description
My thanks to Simon Pulse & Edelweiss

Point of View: Single (Riley Larkin)
Writing: First Person | Past Tense
Setting: Vermont
Genre: Young Adult | Mystery with a mild fantastic element/sci-fi

I find this book very captivating since both the writing and the storyline were very well done. Even the ending wasn't what I had expected, I was somehow satisfied.

What I hate the most when it comes to fictional characters is the lack of personality and complexity. Luckily, Riley wasn't one of them. From the start, Riley amazed me with how much a good friend a wonderful son he was. I enjoyed gettingVermont
:Tense
:Larkin)
:Edelweiss
Point
Abbie
What would you do if you found a pair of binoculars that let you see the future? Would you try to change your destiny?

Riley and his friends live in a small town where nothing exciting ever happens. But after they find a whacked out pair of binoculars their lives are never the same --- especially when death is involved.

I felt disappointed about this book. This was supposed be an exciting sci fi mystery but I felt like the book dragged and did not have enough of the mystery element to make it w
Jacob McCabe
May 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
This book had relatively small potential to begin with, and it didn't really live up to it. Most of the book was boring, despite the mystery. Plus, the ending was extremely unsatisfying in a way that made me dislike the book and not want to read the next one, if there even will be a sequel.
Danielle (is trying to escape reality)
DNF @ pg 36.

Just no. The characters, the writing, the voices, and that fact that I just don't care about any of it.

I flipped ahead to the end. Dodged a bullet, IMHO. LOL
Benni
Jul 12, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Review: http://bennitheblog.com/bookbiters/th...

Five friends party in the woods and find a mysterious pair of binoculars. When they look into it, they see visions. Riley sees himself with Sarah, his best friend Trip’s girlfriend. Natalie sees her father dead, blood splattered everywhere. Tannis sees herself hiking with her future children. Trip sees nothing. Sarah keeps her visions a secret.

Then Natalie’s vision comes true—her father is murdered, and Natalie finds his body just as she saw in the binoculars. Will e
Debbie Narh
good

3.5 Interesting Clouds!

Not a bad book at all! I really liked it, especially because of the characters that are well-developed. All in all, great start however, it could have been better if the story was scarier.

This is How it Ends is described as a suspenseful thriller with a bit of mystery. It's supposed to be scarier, not romantic. Don't get me wrong, I liked the story, it's great and really held my attention but I was expecting something other than what I got. Adding onto this, I wanted more, I wanted the woods
Jessica (The Psychotic Nerd)
This and other reviews can be found on The Psychotic Nerd

MY THOUGHTS
This book was not exactly what I was expecting. I was expecting a book with more life-threatening dangers and murder mystery. Yes, there was a murder mystery, but it wasn't as face-paced and dangerous as I thought it would be. The murder mystery mainly including a bunch of teenagers trying to figure it out themselves. Which is fine, but it wasn't really what I was expecting based on the synopsis.

What I really liked abou/>
L A i N E Y
Okay.
What the ??

I flipped the last page and went 'huh? no more?'.

Not really mystery, not very paranormal and not really romance so...
It's a confusing read.
Just not what I expected from the introduction.
Plus the murder mystery which took up a huge part of the book wasn't interesting to me.
Re̶i̶g̶n̶ Warner [Last Words for The Rogue Bookwolf]
How can you come up with an idea so repulsive that it makes you stall for all the means of time?

How does one try to gather all the information with all the strings dangling low towards your way?

How can you need something when it is an attempt you cannot jump over because it really gets you this time?

How can you solve something that you don't even tried to figure out how it ends?

How is time possible when you're seeking out the possibilities that your mind cancelled bef
Eugenia (Genie In A Book)
*This review also appears on the blog Genie In A Book*

I received a copy of this book from the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review

Unfortunately, This Is How It Ends simply wasn't my cup of tea. Although the premise seemed like it had a lot of potential to create a mysterious YA novel with a slight supernatural twist, in the end I just couldn't connect to the two-dimensional characters and slow pacing. With a love-triangle-esque relationship thrown into the mix and teenagers w/>I
Katie (Kitkatscanread)
May 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Whenever I begin books I always look at the general rating that people gave it on Goodreads.
From looking at this book's ratings, most people gave it three stars and under.
This meant I went into the book with low expectations.
This probably was a good thing for me as I ended up liking it.
Normally I also have the tendency to like books that people didn't like and vice versa.

This is How it Ends was a contemporary with a murder mystery element to it.
At first it begins with
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Simon & Schuster and Edelweiss.)
17-year-old Riley is confused when he finds a strange pair of binoculars that seem to give him a vision of some kind. When a friend tries them also and her vision comes true, Riley isn’t quite sure what exactly is happening.
What are the binoculars? Do they show the future? And will Riley’s vision come true?

This was a slightly strange stor
Carla
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
I am so pissed!! This book had me going and it wasn't 'that' bad but the end!!! WTF that's just a bullshit out. It's tells me that the author was out of steam and lazy.

Sorry but it's true. And sorry for all for the cursing but the storyline was actually good and for it to end how it did just pissed right off.

And there are so many missing things and holes. Idk. I'm not a great reviewer like the majority of you. I just read cuz I like it but grrrrrr JUST GRRRRRR!!!

I hope my next book is better.
Dark Faerie Tales
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: This novel was intriguing with a bit of a slow pace.

Opening Sentence: Trip was late.

The Review:

Riley and his friends are playing truth or dare by a cave when he is dared to go into it. He finds a pair of binoculars, but they seem to be more than that. In them, his friends see bizarre visions, and Riley’s sees him in a dorm room naked next to his best friend’s girlfriend whom, consequently, he’s
Terri
Aug 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss
Review also found at http://kristineandterri.blogspot.ca/2...

I received an advanced copy of this book from the publisher Simon Pulse via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. The expected publication date is October 7, 2014.

This was a fun read for me. While written for the YA genre I found the idea of being able to see snippets of the future an interesting concept for me. As we watch the fallout when the group of friends realize that their "hallucinations" are coming true this story star
Samantha  Hamby -8
May 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Mehsi
Review for the ARC.

I was not expecting this. I was so not expecting this. I read the blurb and I expected something like this: Supernatural 80%, Mystery 10%, Murder 10%. Instead, it was more like this Supernatural: 5%, Mystery: 30%, Murder: 50%, Random Stuff: 15%.

The supernatural part is really boring and quite soon over, it only pops up at times, but I feel like it was just added to give the murder some story. The murder/death part was really big and let's just say after
Sarah (Head Stuck In A Book)
This Is How It Ends is a mystery with a paranormal slant, focusing on a pair of binoculars that seems to show the future.

When a group of friends: Riley, Trip, Sarah, Natalie and Tannis find the binoculars they never expect that what they each see while looking through them would ever actually happen, especially when Riley sees himself in bed with his best friend Trip's girlfriend Sarah, who also happens to be Riley's crush, knowing that he'd never betray Trip like that, with none of
Book_Wonders
Sep 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
I recieved and Arc in return for an honest review

The book follows a male protagonist and I liked that a book like this did that. However, I did not like the male character. He kept going on about Sarah but, I the part that i read, never did anything about getting her to be his.

The writing style was good and the idea unique to me, but I did not connect with any of the characters. this is really important to me. If I do not fell the emotions that they are, it is not a job w
Wendy Darling
3.5 stars Not everything entirely worked for me, especially towards the end, but I quite liked this nonetheless. Especially appreciated the portrayal of non-middle class characters and the sense of being trapped in small town life on the brink of high school graduation.

A bit more of a review to come at some point.
Kevin
Jun 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
Review will be on my blog but all in all a really fun read. The ending was a little off but I did enjoy it overall.
Jul 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: blog-reviews, 2018
So I appear to be in the middle of a trend with the things I'm reading at the moment where the stories I'm getting are not what I expected based on the blurb. It happened with Last Seen Leaving and it's happened again with This Is How It Ends. The blurb of this book definitely makes it sound a lot darker than it is and even like it might have elements of horror in it. Instead we get a mostly contemporary book with a slight sci-fi element thrown in.

The bulk of this book is kind of a m
Diane Lynne
As a librarian, I've read thousands of books in my lifetime. I'm pretty patient and can allow an author reasonable time to develop characters and storylines before the "good stuff" comes along. But this story is just uninteresting from the start. I think the problem is that it's very dialogue-heavy, which is an ineffective way to introduce characters and setting. I found the conversations between the characters to be boring and dragging out for way too long. I like the narrator; the guy is decen ...more
Ms. Heres
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Five friends find a set of binoculars that seem to allow them to see the future. Some of them see things they hope happens and some see some pretty upsetting things that they don't want to face. When one of the these things come true, the friends find themselves in an increasingly difficult spiral of events.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Tell Me a Secret
  • A Dog's Way Home
  • A Dog's Journey (A Dog's Purpose, #2)
  • The Last Chance Texaco
  • These Shallow Graves
  • Survive the Night
  • A Taste for Monsters
  • The Golden Lily (Bloodlines, #2)
  • The Amateurs (The Amateurs, #1)
  • How We Fall
  • Imaginary Girls
  • The Twelve Days of Dash and Lily
  • When We Collided
Jen Nadol grew up in Reading, Pennsylvania and graduated from American University with a BA in literature. She's lived in Washington DC, Boston, NYC and now, an old farmhouse north of the city with her three sons. When she's not writing, she's probably tending to the farmhouse or the sons, reading, cooking, skiing, or sleeping.

“Time did a funny thing after, some days slipping away without notice while others stretched on endlessly.” 0 likes
“I recognized exactly where she was—that state where you’re able to hold it together as long as absolutely no one talks to you or touches you with any amount of sympathy.” 0 likes