Start by marking “Fortune Said: A Valentine Haberdashers Tale (The Haberdashers, #2.2)” as Want to Read:
Fortune Said: A Valentine Haberdashers Tale (The Haberdashers, #2.2)

Fortune Said: A Valentine Haberdashers Tale

(Haberdashers Tales #2)

Published February 8th 2014 by Graythorn Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Fortune Said, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fortune Said

Start your review of Fortune Said: A Valentine Haberdashers Tale (The Haberdashers, #2.2)
Cheesecake
This one picks up some time after A Common Christmas, and after the second Haberdasher's novel. Gabriel's valet, Whit, an accomplished flirt, was attracted to one of the new maids, Sissy. But it is frowned upon for servants to dally with each other so he backs off. But circumstances change and Sissy is the only one who can save his life. There is more Sissy than people know because she keeps to herself, in her own sad way. Whit and Sissy will help each other despite the off the cuff judgment of ...more
Gilgamesha
May 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
The books in the series were disasters...I guess the first book was ok....this novella was really cute....I just wish the epilogue was more satisfactory.
Tracy Emro
Feb 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I am never disappointed when I read a book by Sue London.

This was sweet little novella - I have always had a soft spot for Whit and I am thrilled that he got a happy ending.

I would have liked more - but I feel the same way with her full length novels - I am just greedy I guess :)

The only thing I wanted that I didn't get in this book was the I love yous - that is my favorite part of a romance novel and it didn't happen in this novella. It was short read and I didn't expect the depth of a full le
Bev Ross
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Good short story

This was a great little story! I really enjoyed reading sissy and whit's story. It had a nice plot and made me feel happy for them. I'm glad they found each other.
Marianna
Mar 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Read more reviews at A Lust For Reading. I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Whit Whitman is known amongst the household staff as a harmless flirt. As the Earl's valet, he also has a uniquely personal relationship with Gideon. When Whit comes down with a deathly fever, it is up to newcomer Sissy Devonport to care for him. She has only been working at the Earl's townhome for six months, ever since her entire family lost their lives to this same fever. But she survived it and now sh
Judy
Nov 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Fortune Said by Sue London
Haberdashers Tales Book Two
We meet Whit Whitman in the first Tales book, A Common Christmas. Whit is Joshua Dibbs cousin and Gideon’s valet. He is a handsome flirt with no intentions of settling down. He has eyed the pretty maid, but knows that she deserves a much better man than he is. Not to mention that Cousin Joshua had warned him to leave the girl alone.

Sissy Devenport had been poor gentry. After the fever took her family and her relatives couldn’t take her in, she
Queen of the Geeks
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
The second book in Sue London's sweet short stories. I liked it but struggled with feeling that Whit/Percival was truly in love with Sissy. It was a nice story but didn't feel the warmth between the two characters as in the previous book. Which honestly is hard to develop in a short story and when you keep the heat level low in a book. More than likely a personal prejudice in not believing a practiced flirt could ever really love or that the marriage felt forced between two people who didn't rea ...more
Deanna Stanley
Feb 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
Sue London follows up her Christmas story with a valentines Day themed story that reprises characters that rarely get much page time - the servants. This time is all about Whit Whitman, valet extrodinaire. He's a flirt and a jokester, who could never settle down with one woman... or could he?

Sissy is still grieving the deaths of her entire family, and her change of circumstances from beloved daughter to housemaid. But when Witt falls ill to the same sickness as killed her family, she volunteers
Diane Lang
Apr 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
One of the best things about these delightful novellas Sue is writing is they allow her to add depth and richness to the world of the Haberdashers. Here we get a second peek into the lives of Gideon, the Earl of Harrington's staff. This time it is his valet, Whit, whom we get to know in greater depth. He has devoted his entire life to meeting the needs of others and is only now given an opportunity to figure out what he wants.
Cara Group
Feb 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Sue London does it again. This book focuses on another of the "downstairs" staff from the Haberdasber books, this time, Gideon's valet, Whit. The flirtatious valet comes down with a very serious illness and needs to be nursed to health. Who better to do that than the young maid who recently arrived to the household. Full of sweet interactions and is a thoroughly enjoyable read.

I bought this as part of a valentine's day sale, so it was only $0.99.

Great novella!
Aleen ~Lampshade Reader
This was such a sweet tale. I enjoyed reading about the romance between a valet and housemaid. Their HEA's are rarely given. This story takes place in between Giddy's love story, so I liked how that connected. There are no steamy love scenes in this story, just sweetness. If you are up for a quick, sweet, afternoon read, this is the story for you!
Lynn Demsky
Jan 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, novella
A cute little novella with an enduring love story and any one would be surprised by Whit’s character in this one!
Mary
Mar 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
just love her stories!
Diane Horne
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fortune Said: Valentine Haberdashers Tale (Book 2) By Sue London

Five stars, good story..Cannot wait to read the third in line of this series..Love it's the help having their own story..Could read more books like this.
Mel
Nov 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebooks, read-in-2018
This was fairly sweet, although also mostly plotless. I liked it well enough, though.
Sandy Digger
Sep 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A lovely romance

This is the story of Whit and Sissy. Whit is the Earl's valet and he is taken sick with typhus. Sissy is a young gentry lady who's family all died from typhus and she was left with no money and no home. Her cousins refuse to take her in so she becomes a maid in the Earl's home to protect her and give her a place to live. When Whit becomes sick she is the only one to survive typhus so she offers to care for him. It's a sweet, romantic short story that helps to round out the tale o
Sieravonne
Feb 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sue-london

I wonder why did the author nicknamed the female lead Sissy. She wasn't sissy at all but a brave and strong woman.

And while I think the progress of this novella is too fast, like it was ended just for the sake of ending it, so that nothing has to be explained more.
Tonileg
Jan 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Sweet short story set in the world of the Haberdashers (a smart sword dueling lady club) in Historical English society.
We get a little glimpse into the world of the domestic workers in the houses of the titled rich English.
86 pages and kindle freebie
3 stars
Tamara
May 04, 2015 rated it liked it
This tale was cute, but the romance was too rushed. I feel like most of the love story happened off stage. I wish she had included more interaction between the characters while the hero was awake.
Kimberly Hatten
Sep 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A sweet Valentine story

A nice little sweet Valentine story. There is loss and then there is finding what they need. Lovely and well written.
Nicola
Mar 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Sweet romance, G rated. 3.5 stars.
Jennifer lauver Boonie
Jul 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Good if at times confusing read

the editing of the book was atrocious, but the story underlying story line was good. would recommend a re-edit or edit in general.
Donna
rated it did not like it
Aug 19, 2014
Mar 10, 2017
S.l.
Jan 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• For Love Alone (A New Adventure Begins - Star Elite Book 8)
  • In Bed with the Earl (Lost Lords of London, #1)
  • Cloak and Dagger (The Star Elite's Highwaymen Investigation, #1)
  • Damsel In Distress: Star Elite - Leicestershire (The Hero Next Door Series Book 2)
  • Shadows and Lies
  • My Lord the Spy - A Regency Romance (The Spy Series Book 1)
  • My Earl the Spy - A Regency Romance (The Spy Series - Book 2 of 2)
  • The Most Eligible Lord in London (The Lords of London #1)
  • More Than a Duke (The Heart of a Duke, #2)
  • To Wed His Christmas Lady (The Heart of a Duke, #7)
  • The Love of a Rogue (The Heart of a Duke, #3)
  • One Night of Surrender (Wicked Dukes Club #2)
  • There Are Plenty More Dukes in the Sea (The Inheritance Clause #1)
  • One Night of Passion (Wicked Dukes Club #3)
  • One Night of Temptation (Wicked Dukes Club #6)
  • The Mystery of Mr Daventry (Scandalous Sons Book 4)
  • The Girl with the Make-Believe Husband (Rokesbys, #2)
  • Marry in Haste (Marriage of Convenience, #1)
Best selling author Sue London created the beloved Regency romance series The Haberdashers. If you like your historical romance with a little action, a little humor, and a lot of strong-minded women, then this is the series for you!

Recent reader reactions:
"Sue London is a very gifted writer. I always enjoy reading her books." ~ Annie
"It was so well written, and the storyline is wonderfully thrilli

Haberdashers Tales (4 books)
  • A Common Christmas (A Haberdashers Tale #1)
  • Sweet Tannenbaum (Haberdashers Tales #3)
  • Jack Valentine (Haberdashers Nights Book 2)