Start by marking “Doctor Strange: The Oath” as Want to Read:
Doctor Strange: The Oath

Doctor Strange: The Oath (Doctor Strange Marvel Comics)

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  2,965 Ratings  ·  275 Reviews
Doctor Stephen Strange embarks on the most important paranormal investigation of his career, as he sets out to solve an attempted murder - his own! And with his most trusted friend also at death's door, Strange turns to an unexpected corner of the Marvel Universe to recruit a new ally.
Published June 6th 2007 by Marvel Comics

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Strange, please sign up.

Agostina You'll miss some details and context but you'll understand the story. It's not the best description of the character tho

Sh3lly ✨ addicted to reading ✨

Update: Okay, I had to bump this because I came across something while searching for Doctor Strange images on Google:

Ha! That is awesome!

Original post:

I admit that the main reason I picked this up at the library was because of this:

But I also like the idea of Dr. Strange's abilities. He's a mage, the "Sorcerer Supreme," can astral travel, go to different dimensions, levitate (his cloak is badass), put people to sleep just by saying "sleep." (That is way cool.)

Let's be honest, he is way cooler th
Kemper
Nov 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
If your name is something like Stephen Strange then you’d almost have to be a superhero, wouldn’t you? Either that or Bond villain.

Dr. Strange is very upset to learn that his friend and servant Wong has terminal brain cancer and vows to use every mystical means at his disposal to save him. The cure he finds turns out to have much larger implications that threaten Strange both magically and physically.

This is one of those Marvel characters that I mainly know from his appearances in other books r
Bookdragon Sean
Sep 01, 2016 rated it did not like it
Doctor Strange has a great background story, a failed surgeon turned magician. His hands were ruined but his life wasn’t, so he threw himself into the mystic arts. And he has become surprisingly good at it. He looks rather cool too:

description

It’s a great premise, one that leaves the story really open. So why couldn’t the writers come up with anything better than a cure for cancer stumbling into Strange’s hands? It seems terribly clichéd. The cure is apparently the end to the world’s problems because clea
Dan Schwent
May 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Wong has a brain tumor and Doctor Strange goes looking for a cure. What he finds is a cure to all cancer. Too bad Timely Pharmaceutical doesn't want the cure going public. Can Doctor Strange, Wong, and Night Nurse get the serum back before Wong succumbs?

By the Hoary Fucking Hosts of Hoggoth, this was the best modern Doctor Strange tale I've yet read. The Oath of the title refers to the Hypocratic oath Strange swore back when he was Doctor Stephen Strange, asshole neurosurgeon. Strange wrestles w
Anne

This book has been on my Want-It-So-Bad list since 2011, and yesterday I finally got to read it!

I should probably mention that I read these as single digital issues. From what I can tell, this volume doesn't have any extras anyway, so I don't think it matters.
But, you know, full disclosure and all...

I believe this is the only Dr. Strange solo title I've ever read, so I don't have anything to compare it to. Having said that, I thought this was reallyreallyreally good!
The art wasn't anyt
Paul
Aug 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
A couple of people recommended this one to me, so thanks, folks; I really enjoyed it.

I'm not a huge fan of Dr. Strange and part of the reason for that is that I prefer my characters to have a well-defined power set. Magic-users like Strange have a wibbly-wobbly set of abilities which usually consist of, well, anything the characters happen to need at any given time. This robs them of a lot of drama, in my opinion.

The writer of this mini-series counters this to an extent by giving the good Doctor
David Schaafsma
Aug 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Dr. Strange was this arrogant doctor who lost the ability to do surgery because of an injury to his hands. He goes to a Tibetan guru, the (for lack of a better name) Ancient One, for healing, who gives him something better: Magic, which leads him to wear a lavish superhero costume, adopt an Asian martial arts sidekick named (one word) Wong, become The Sorcerer Supreme and Be Glam. We discover in this volume that Wong has incurable cancer, but this is a superhero comic, and, you know, magic. Stra ...more
Donovan

"By the hoary ***-ing hosts!"

Doctor Strange is awesome, with potential to be one of my favorite Marvel characters. And this was my first Doc Strange comic ever.

Vaughan is a fantastic writer. I've read Saga, Y, and Paper Girls, so I'm no "stranger" to his writing. While this doesn't allow him the freedom of a creator-owned comic, it's an extremely well-written mini-series, with sharp dialog, clever humor, and fascinating mysticism. The only thing missing is his obsession with sex and cursing.

I'
Sam Quixote
Nov 03, 2014 rated it liked it
This is one of those reviews you read after you’ve read the book but if you’re just looking for a quick yay or nay take on this, I thought that Doctor Strange: The Oath was an ok-ish story for an ok-ish character. I haven’t read many Strange books so I can’t say where this one stands in his canon/continuity but it’s not a terrible read. Does Doctor Strange even have a great book – who knows? If you want to read a Doctor Strange book, I’d say this is the best I’ve read yet (out of the two I have! ...more
Sesana
Aug 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, comics
I've encountered Doctor Strange here and there, but I've never gone out of my way to read one of his solo titles. But with Marvel actively working on putting together a Doctor Strange movie, it was obviously time to change that. I had no earthly idea where to go, but luckily some of my friends here on Goodreads have read this volume, and given it glowing reviews. Seemed like as good a place as any to start.

And so it was. Maybe longtime fans would disagree, but it seems to me like there isn't tha
  • Doctor Strange: Season One
  • The Immortal Iron Fist, Volume 2: The Seven Capital Cities of Heaven
  • Doctor Strange, Doctor Doom: Triumph and Torment
  • Strange: The Doctor is Out
  • Doctor Strange, Vol. 1: The Way of the Weird
  • The Incredible Hulk: Silent Screams (Marvel Ultimate Graphic Novels Collection)
  • Captain America, Vol. 1: The New Deal
  • The Starman Omnibus, Vol. 3
  • The New Avengers: Illuminati
  • Thor the Mighty Avenger, Vol. 2
  • She-Hulk, Volume 1: Single Green Female
Born in Cleveland in 1976, Brian K. Vaughan is the Eisner, Harvey, and Shuster Award-winning writer and co-creator of the critically acclaimed comics series Y: The Last Man, Runaways, and Ex Machina (picked as one of the ten best works of fiction of 2005 by Entertainment Weekly).

Recently named "Writer of the Year" by Wizard Magazine, and one of the “top ten comic writers of all time” by Comic Boo
More about Brian K. Vaughan...

Doctor Strange Marvel Comics (1 - 10 of 38 books)
  • Doctor Strange: Beginnings and Endings