Start by marking “No Known Grave (Detective Inspector Tom Tyler, #3)” as Want to Read:
No Known Grave (Detective Inspector Tom Tyler, #3)

No Known Grave

(Detective Inspector Tom Tyler #3)

From the well-known author whose books inspired the wildly popular Murdoch Mysteries TV series, comes the third WWII-era DI Tom Tyler mystery; for fans of Foyle's War, wartime dramas, and, of course, Maureen Jennings!
It's summer, 1942, and after a tough couple of years, DI Tom Tyler is making a fresh start in Ludlow, Shropshire. On the outskirts of town, St. Anne's
Published October 21st 2014 by McClelland & Stewart

To ask other readers questions about No Known Grave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Known Grave

Start your review of No Known Grave (Detective Inspector Tom Tyler, #3)
Steven R. McEvoy
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2019
To state that I had become addicted to the writings of Maureen Jennings would be a bit of an understatement. This is the twelfth story by Jennings that I have read in 11 weeks. This is the third of 4 Inspector Tom Tyler stories I have read. And of the three read it is my favorite. Jennings does an amazing job of transporting us back in time to England during World War II in these novels.

This story takes place three years after the previous in the series. And a lot has happened in that time. Tom
Amy Thorleifson
Jan 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Set in England in 1942, Inspector Tom Tyler has just been relocated to Shropshire when he is called upon to investigate two murders. A father and son are found shot in their cottage on the grounds of an infirmary for recuperating war victims. It soon becomes clear that the murderer must be someone from the staff or patient roster. But many of the patients are blind and/or suffering from severe burns. Tyler works with his new team to learn who the killer is and what the possible motive could be.
Sally
Jun 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
The third in the Tom Tyler series set during WWII. In this one he has been transferred to Ludlow in Shropshire as a detective. The murders are connected with a convalescent home for wounded soldiers and war workers. Although most seem to be in bad shape--blind, paralyzed, mute--someone inside the hospital is committing murders of innocent people: a blind hospital worker, his sixteen-year-old son, and a nun. Add to this that the daughter of the dead man is pregnant out of wedlock and there is ...more
Andy Plonka
Aug 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: src
Using WWII as a backdrop Jennings has developed what appears to be a variation on a locked room mystery but turns out to be more when te perpetrator and his motives are finally revealed.
Mainer207
Apr 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Sad story done well. I'm coming to like Tom Taylor. Good narration. I'm looking forward to the next in this series.
Verity W
Feb 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novelicious
I haven't read any Maureen Jennings before and I found this interesting and unpredictable. Proper review to follow - but I'll be keeping an eye out for more.

I reviewed this book for Novelicious: http://www.novelicious.com/2015/02/re...

No Known Grave is the third book in the DI Tom Tyler series by Maureen Jennings – who also wrote the Murdoch Mystery books. This time though, instead of late nineteenth century Canada, the setting is England during the Second World War.

Tom Tyler has just arrived
Val Sanford
Cindy
Aug 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
Loved this mystery set in a convalescent hospital outside of Ludlow, Shropshire. Detective Tom Tyler has moved there for a fresh start after the death of his son and a separation from his wife. There has been a brutal double murder at the hospital. Later on a nun is murdered as well, but Tyler quickly learns her death was made to look like a suicide. Tyler is relentlessly piecing together clues, but the clues tend to lead in no particular direction. Finally after a young pregnant girl goes ...more
Diana
Nov 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Detective Tom Tyler has taken a new post in Ludlow, England during World War II. He is called to investigate a double homicide at a convalescent hospital nearby. The hospital is staffed by Anglican nuns whose patients have experienced traumatic injuries. Tyler has the task of trying to find out why the victims were murdered and who could possibly have committed the crime when the only suspects appear to be incapacitated. I was unable to guess who the murderer was so it was a surprise. The story ...more
Evelyn Harvill
Apr 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent series set in WWII. Each book is more fascinating than the one before. The plot was excellent and well-paced and the wide range of characters (police officers, nuns, wounded soldiers, and wayward girls, to list a few) were three-dimensional and believable. Since DI Tyler has moved to the area in which this book took place, I really hope we see some of these folks in a future novel. And the reference to a real historical incident has sent me looking for more information on ...more
Linda
Dec 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the third installment in the Detective Inspector Tom Tyler series. The setting is 1942 in Shropshire, England where several murders are committed in St. Anne's Convalescent Hospital. The Detective has many obstacles in his path to solve these murders. The author writes vividly of wartime Britain, the effects of the war on the village and the severely disabled military and civilian men and women.
Peggy
Jun 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Tom Tyler must investigate a double murder in a rehab hospital which deals with soldiers wounded in WWII. One of the most interesting aspects of this novel is an insight into the effects of the war, especially those who are disabled and disfigured.
Bonnie Szirtes
Sep 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I am loving this Tom Tyler series! So glad I discovered Maureen Jennings and this series; I do hope she continues it.
Connie
Feb 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
I very much enjoyed this third book in the series. I've read the other two and this one had the added benefit of a connection with another book I'm currently reading about WWII.
Highly recommended!
Carol
Nov 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Good overall story, but IMO the murderer's rationale for the killings was far fetched
Caroline Ingvaldsen
Jan 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Third in the Detective Inspector Tom Tyler mysteries set in Britain during World War II: a particularly grim and poignant thriller.
Faith Hignight
Sep 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read! I like my mysteries fast moving, well written and with some character depth and development. I was not disappointed.
Patricia Gulley
Jul 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Tom has a new location and he and his wife are divorcing. The murders happen at a convalescent hospice for men and women who have suffered severe war wounds. While a good mystery with an interesting take on a real war event, there was too much description and contemplation of unrelated things and not enough resolution of Shirley.
Cybercrone
Aug 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Series is holding up as a good read.
Rae Marie
Apr 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Keeps you guessing..
Gilda
Jan 24, 2019 rated it liked it
I'd give this book 3.5 stars. A good, old-fashioned mystery. Enjoyed it thoroughly. Will read other books by this author.
Doris Thomsen
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Was a bit slow to start, but picked up the pace and became a really good read.
Debbie
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
The solution to the mystery came a bit out of left field for me, but the evocation of the era is enjoyable.
Marley
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really like this, ever so much more than the first (I missed the second somehow).
Joanne
Jan 17, 2017 rated it liked it
I'm giving this book 3.5 stars. Once again the author has done a terrific job of capturing the time and place: rural England in the middle of World War II. Tom Tyler is central to the story again, and I like his character development. The story revolves around a set of seemingly senseless murders at a convalescent hospital for seriously injured victims of war, people with such crippling disabilities that it seems inconceivable that any of them could commit the crimes. The other residents of the ...more
Gwen
Nov 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommended to Gwen by: mystery book club, December 2017
Shelves: book-club
Shades of Enigma meets Among the Mad. I actually enjoyed the book more *before* going to book club and having the book dissected... =/

But, as usual, book club tends to be right: the ending was rushed, there were too many characters to keep track of, and the motive for the murders didn't make much sense.

The highlight of book club came when one of the members breezed in at the end with significant knowledge of (view spoiler)

While I prefer the
Jill Meyer
May 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Readers of mysteries know that there are different styles within the genre. One of those are the "murders done in a confined space and almost anyone can be the murderer (and the victim, come to that!); sort of like "Murder on the Orient Express". "No Known Grave", by Maureen Jennings, is the third in her "Tom Tyler" series and offers exactly that plot and a similar cast of potential victims and murderers.

The "Tom Tyler" series is set in WW2 England. I have not read the first two - though I think
Gretta
Sep 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Sheila
Apr 21, 2015 rated it liked it
DI Tom Tyler has just moved to a new post. He is just learning the surroundings and who his staff are and their capabilities when he is thrust head on into a murder investigation at the St. Anne's Convalescent Home. The victims are a blind ex-soldier and his young son. There does not seem to be any motive. As Tom begins his investigation, he strongly suspects the murderer is someone at the Home. Then he starts receiving mysterious letters that have no post mark, it appears a typewriter at the ...more
Lisa
Jan 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Classic locked room mystery. Great story and development, and a really interesting motivation for the murderer. Another great group of characters; I wish we could keep some of them for the next book!

There were a lot of characters, especially patients. Sometimes they were called by their first names, sometimes last, and sometimes nicknames. That made it hard to keep everyone straight. I wish there had been a bit more background on the patients because there was really no way of guessing who did

• Borderlands (Inspector Devlin, #1)
  • Death of a Glutton (Hamish Macbeth, #8)
  • Murder at the Masquerade Ball (Rose Simpson Mysteries #9)
  • Lady Takes the Case (Manor Cat Mystery #1)
  • The Dog Who Knew Too Much (Paws and Claws Mystery, #6)
  • Through My Eyes
  • Pattern of Wounds (A Roland March Mystery, #2)
  • Where Two Hearts Meet (Prince Edward Island Dreams #2)
  • Land of Careful Shadows (Jimmy Vega Mystery, #1)
  • The Murders of Mrs. Austin and Mrs. Beale (Lloyd & Hill, #4)
  • Gone Without a Trace (Logan Point, #3)
  • Silence in the Dark (Logan Point, #4)
  • Shark Girl
  • Thicker Than Blood (Thicker Than Blood #1)
  • Stalking Ground (Timber Creek K-9 Mystery #2)
  • Formerly Shark Girl (Shark Girl, #2)
  • Shoot Don't Shoot (Joanna Brady, #3)
  • The Other Woman (Lloyd & Hill, #5)
Maureen Jennings, now a Canadian Citizen, was born on Eastfield Road in Birmingham, England and spent her formative years there until she emigrated to Canada at the age of seventeen with her mother.

This has meant that she still feels a deep connection with her homeland. It has also no doubt been a strong influence in her love for, and her writing about, the Victorian period. She attended the

Detective Inspector Tom Tyler (4 books)
  • Season of Darkness (Detective Inspector Tom Tyler, #1)
  • Beware This Boy (Detective Inspector Tom Tyler, #2)
  • Dead Ground in Between (Detective Inspector Tom Tyler, #4)