Start by marking “Descent (The Walking Dead #5)” as Want to Read:
Descent (The Walking Dead #5)

Descent (The Walking Dead #5)

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  1,871 Ratings  ·  186 Reviews
Written by Jay Bonansinga, based on the series created by Robert Kirkman, The Walking Dead: Descent follows the events of The Fall of the Governor, and Lily Caul’s struggles to rebuild Woodbury after the Governor’s shocking demise.

Out of the ashes of its dark past, Woodbury, Georgia, becomes an oasis of safety amidst the plague of the walking dead – a town reborn in the wa
Audio CD
Published October 14th 2014 by Macmillan Audio (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Descent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Descent

Kimberley doruyter
oke it turns out that the apocolypse and religion don't go together.
Yodamom
Dec 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, free, zombies, library
Woodbury, the town of dreams and hope, the town of blood and torture and death may finally fall forever. Lily one of the lobe survivors from The Governors time is fighting for the chance to make a life for her group of ragged people. When she encounters a lone young with a tale of fellow humans she sees hope with increased numbers to help build her dream. Sadly, this new world does not allow dreams to come true, reality is an ugly black ooze that they must all finally believe.
I hate to say this
Dale Rutter
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars!
It has taken me ages to read this with one thing or another stopping me(work etc) but I've finally got there! It was enjoyable and the writing was impeccable as always and detailed but I could only give it 3.5 as the story wasn't as good as previous books. I found myself predicting what was going to happen and it came true so for me to predict it(which I can never hardly do), it must mean it was a little predictable!
But saying that, I still enjoyed reading the story unravel and I look
Dan
Nov 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zombies
This latest Walking Dead novel again features Lilly Caul and the town of Woodbury. Until now the books have sort of been about telling us what happened behind the scenes in the comic series but Rick Grimes and co have now moved on and this is an entirely original story.

The fact that it is all new is a good thing as the retelling was one of the bigger problems of the earlier books. Here Lilly, Bob and the gang have to endure a superherd, rescue a religious group hiding in a church and then try a
Richelle
Oct 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
So I'm just going to start out by saying I really did enjoy this book...
BUT I am only giving it a 4 because I didn't find myself overly excited about it...
I kind of felt at some points that I could take it or leave it ... It was good but I've read better ones in the series .. And I've also read better zombie stories ..
Again, as I've said over and over again.. After reading so many of Rhiannon Frater's books I have not been able to find anything else that is even remotely close to how much I love
L.J. Stephens
Oct 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Walking Dead novels are very great to read. Robert Kirkman did a good job picking Jay to write these novels. They are exactly what the graphic novelists are looking for.

Decent picks up a few months after the prison war. our unofficial hero lily and her cooking yet attractive sidekick Bob are trying to find ways to restructure Woodbury. new faces join the crowd as they gradually grow into what they dream to be a better civilization than with the governor made originally. however things fall r
Anthony Fassano
I've read all of TWD novels, and thought that the first two were very good. This one, however, was the worst so far.

I like Lilly, but I don't understand why she has to have a new love interest in every book. Also, I get that she was a reluctant leader, but don't think that it was plausible to all of the sudden want to hand over the reigns to a stranger so quickly.

This book also introduced three new characters, none of whom were very developed. I really didn't get Jeremiah and his group. The gr
Cooper Broadway
This book was good, but not that good. I am a huge fan of The Walking Dead, but this book didn't really live up to the shows greatness. The city of Woodbury almost feels empty without the presence of the evil Governor, which makes the book not as good. Jeremiah was a good villain, but could have been given more development. I also didn't like how Calvin was a love interest for Lilly, it made the book seem like a love story too.
☆~Stephanie ~☆
Taking my grandma to e doctors so I will start this later in the morning can't wait to start this so excited ! :0)
Hatezel
Oct 20, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
This was only slightly better than the last one. At least it had new storyline in it. Why is Lilly so ready to do the business with anyone who is interested? Ugh!
Rawannie
Aaron
Sep 04, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The Walking dead franchise might have jumped the shark with this piece. I reckon it could be due to the fact that I am burned out on the genre or that Kirkman did not actually write this one? Maybe after reading over 100 books this past year I have more discerning tastes? Maybe it just really sucked? Anywho, my friend Sherrie always reads the last page of a novel first and I wish I would have done so and heeded the warnings therein. One of the last sentences of Descent states: "Run...run away... ...more
AudioBookReviewer
Nov 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ABR's full Descent audiobook review can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

Now I do not think that it is a coincidence that this fifth book of the Walking Dead Novels came out within days of the new season of the TV show. I have been waiting a long time for both to come out and I really hope it has been worth the wait. As you and I both know hype and anticipation can sometimes kill something from being successful.

I for see this one to be more about, the Governor’s dead, now what? With Lilly taking t
Robert
Jun 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alan
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Just finished reading "The Walking Dead: Descent," by Jay Bonansinga. It's a good enough story, as are most of the TWD books I've read so far. I'm ready to get beyond Woodbury, though.

But there were several errors that I did struggle to get past regarding both firearms (eg. a Smith & Wesson single action .357 magnum revolver with "six rounds in the cylinder plus one in the chamber"), and Baptists (eg. a lifelong Baptist, Calvin was unfamiliar with full immersion).

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don
Jeff
Dec 03, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My biggest problem with the earlier books in this series is that I never found the Governor from the comic books to be a very interesting character, and trying to make him more human and complex while sticking to the timeline of the comics just wasn't working for me. I had hoped the post-Governor novels might be a bit more interesting, and to a certain extent this one was, but the story was ultimately dragged down by plot contrivances that were way to stupid to overlook. Most notably (view spoil ...more
Billy Roper
Nov 19, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm giving up, halfway through. The glaring errors and awkward, self-conscious handling of every mention of firearms and their usage (which happens every few pages, as one might expect in a Zombie Apocalypse) is just too grating. A bit of advice. I don't care if you are a multi-millionaire screenwriter with the most popular show on t.v.. If you're going to write books about race cars, turn a wrench and know a spark plug from a catalytic converter. If you're going to write a Zombie Apocalypse boo ...more
Jared Paddick
Jan 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I gave this book four stars, but just barely. I still enjoyed the author's unique voice and think he blends his perception with Kirkman's universe well, it just didn't have the awe of the rest of this series.

I think that's because there is no Governor.

The after-effects can still be felt all over Woodbury, but the character left a vacuum, and Lily Caul and the new villain, Reverend Jeremiah, just can't measure up. I still enjoyed both of those characters, but they just didn't have the raw magneti
Craig Allen
Oct 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fun, suspenseful edition in the world of the Walking Dead as the survivors of Woodbury struggle to deal with a SUPERHERD as well as a questionable cult-like religious group they encounter from another area. Tough to discuss without spoiling, especially events from previous books in the series, but this one was a good read with some very tense scenes. I was also glad this installment had a new storyline as the last two books were sort of expanded scenes from the comics, this one was all n ...more
Jarrod Scarbrough
I don't know if it is the fact that I have gotten used to the style, or what specifically, but I can say that the Jay Bonansinga Walking Dead books really have been getting progressively more enjoybale! I loved Descent above all the rest! Lilly is leader of Woodbury, and we see yet again that the undead are not necessarily the biggest evil we could face. Kirkman fans should enjoy this tale, as should most zombie genre addicts like myself.
Christine Elkins
Another great read

The only negative comments I have is a technical one. The author needs to know the difference in weapons terminology. "Clip" & "magazine" are not interchangeable. They are two different things.

Other than that, another great Walking Dead read.
Brian Clopper
Okay, I think the novels need to go beyond Woodbury and work new material with new characters and settings. The religious fanatic plot didn't do anything for me and much of the action was told to the reader and not shown.
Steve Beliveau
Jan 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great book in the series. I couldn't stop reading
A.T. Jackson
A very mediocre novel.

Set in the same time-line as Robert Kirkman's graphic novel of the same name, and the Telltale video game series, the Walking Dead: Descent follows the survivors of Woodbury after the death of the Governor as they try to rebuilt and move on. Things begin to turn sour when a new group of survivors, lead by a man named Jeremiah, are welcomed into the town. It isn't long before Jeremiah's nefarious motives are revealed, and Woodbury is thrown into a short-lived civil conflict.
Tiffany Fox
Feb 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Written by Jay Bonansinga, based on the original series created by Robert Kirkman, The Walking Dead: Descent follows the events of The Fall of the Governor, and Lilly Caul's struggles to rebuild Woodbury after the Governor's shocking demise.

Out of the ashes of its dark past, Woodbury, Georgia, becomes an oasis of safety amidst the plague of the walking dead - a town reborn in the wake of its former tyrannical leader, Philip Blake, aka the Governor.

Blake's legacy of madness haunts every nook and
Nikita Gestel
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series is amazing. This is the fifth book and I still can't get enough of the characters and the story. I just wasn't a fan of the love interest in this book. I love Lilly Caul as the main character, but I don't understand why she has to have a new love interest in every book. It's frustrating because you already know what the fate of that poor fellow is when you're nearing the end. I was also annoyed by the fact that she basically trusted the church people blindly. I was calling out to her ...more
Sean
Dec 06, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, horror, zombies
I've enjoyed Walking Dead in pretty much every medium available: graphic novel, novel, audiobook and TV series. The novels have been OK--3 stars--but for those who can get their fill of the Walking Dead universe through the TV series, don't feel obligated to either read or listen to the books. (But do read the graphic novels!) Call them enjoyable diversions, potboilers, etc. My only real beef with the audiobooks is Jay Bonansinga's voice: he growls every character's voice. Even little kids barel ...more
Aušrinė Lekstutytė
It's rather a mix of a really gripping story and some bullshit scenes. I have read some comments complaining about the unrealistic characters of feminine gender -- yeah, there is such an issue as well. But most importantly - sometimes it just feels that the one responsible for the script just had some weird teenage-style ideas left from his younger days that came to light just now. It screws the story up.
Kyren
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Descent was a good book that went along with the TV show. The book's main character name was Lilly and she has to learn to be a leader after The Governor dies. She has to keep the town under control after the prison raid and he dies. She had some experience already from going out and looting gas stations, stores, etc. She manages to be a good leader by the time the book ends.
Wendy Mills
Jan 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Things in Woodbury are heating up. There’s a new leader in charge of the group, and she’s way nicer than the Governor ever was. Lilly proves that she’s got the guts to face walkers and anything else that threatens the citizens of Woodbury.
zombies 1 2 Nov 12, 2014 05:44AM
  • The Fall of the Governor: Part Two (The Walking Dead #4)
  • 28 Days Later, Vol. 6: Homecoming
  • Lady Mechanika, Vol.1: the Mystery of Mechanical Corpse (Lady Mechanika, #0-5)
  • Baltimore, Vol. 5: The Apostle and the Witch of Harju (Baltimore, #5)
  • The Shadow Out of Time
  • Meteor Men
  • The Fir Tree
  • The Dark Worlds of H.P. Lovecraft, Vol 1
  • Doctor Who: The Dalek Project
The national best-selling author of ten acclaimed books – both fiction and non-fiction -- Jay Bonansinga has been called “one of the most imaginative writers of thrillers” by the Chicago Tribune.

Jay is the holder of a master's degree in film from Columbia College Chicago, and currently resides in Evanston, Illinois, with his wife and two sons. He is also a visiting professor at Northwestern Unive
More about Jay Bonansinga...

The Walking Dead (8 books)
  • Rise of the Governor (The Walking Dead #1)
  • The Road to Woodbury (The Walking Dead #2)
  • The Fall of the Governor: Part One (The Walking Dead #3)
  • The Fall of the Governor: Part Two (The Walking Dead #4)
  • Invasion (The Walking Dead #6)
  • Search and Destroy (The Walking Dead #7)
  • Return to Woodbury
“sees. Glaciers could cleave continents, and the pain would still live somewhere in the secret chambers of the heart. For the lucky ones, scar tissue forms, and the passage of time builds more and more tissue until the pain is simply part of a person’s makeup, part of who he or she is—the grain in the wood.” 1 likes
“Homicide detectives know it as well. Emergency room nurses, paramedics—they all know the dirty little secret: It doesn’t get any easier. In fact, it lives in you. Every trauma, every horrible sight, every senseless death, every feral, blood-soaked act of violence in the name of self-preservation—they all accumulate like silt at the bottom of a person’s heart until the weight is unbearable.” 1 likes