Start by marking “The Shock of the Fall” as Want to Read:
The Shock of the Fall

The Shock of the Fall

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  33,473 Ratings  ·  3,677 Reviews
***This book has also been published as Where the Moon Isn't.*** Winner of the 2013  Costa First Award "A stunning novel. Ambitious and exquisitely realized . . . clearly the work of a major new talent." —S. J. Watson, New York Times bestselling author of Before I Go to Sleep

While on vacation with their parents, Matthew Homes and his older brother snuck out in the middle
Published February 10th 2014 by St. Martin's Press (first published 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Shock of the Fall, please sign up.

Gemmz Wondering if you managed to finish? I was the same, I just could not get into this book at all. I got about half way through and set it down. Around a…moreWondering if you managed to finish? I was the same, I just could not get into this book at all. I got about half way through and set it down. Around a year later I found it while relocating. I was determined to finish it whether I enjoyed it or not. It does get better. It is beautiful. Definitely worth finishing.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Samantha
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Paul Bryant
Another novel to prove, if proof was needed, how utterly heartless and without pity I am becoming. Sorry, Nathan Filer, I come to rain all over your parade. Well, quite a lot of it.

The blurb has these three little sentences:

There are books you can’t stop reading, which keep you up all night

(Well, I actually was reading this most of last night, but that’s because I had insomnia.)

There are books which let us into the hidden parts of life and make them vividly real.

(Referring to the world of the s
Petra Eggs
I always find it hard to write reviews about meh books. Books I love, books I hate, I have strong feelings towards them, but meh... What do you say?

The book is supposedly revelations of how it really is to be schizophrenic and what life in a mental institution is really like and the author is a mental nurse so he knows. As the book has won many awards I was expecting the writing to be better than competent. Perhaps I was expecting too much having just read the searingly brilliant Man Booker pri
Aj the Ravenous Reader
Nov 27, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Aj the Ravenous Reader by: Kimi

I read this for Kimi's birthday tomorrow, Nov. 29! I'm posting it now because I might be too busy tomorrow. HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, KIMI! PUT A SMILE AS BIG AS YOUR HEART BECAUSE YOU DESERVE TO BE THE HAPPIEST ON YOUR SPECIAL DAY! <3 You can read her awesome review here.

Review

This is an interesting read that deals with mental illness, more particularly schizophrenia as a result of a boy’s grief over the death of his older brother. It is a daring but successful endeavor on the part of the aut
Raeleen Lemay
Jun 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, young-adult
This book was beautiful. I'm tempted to flip back to the first page and read it again.
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Sometimes I read books so obsessively that I end up with something like this when I’m finished:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Then I sit around for a week (or two, or twelve) because I have no idea how to write the review.

It only seems fitting that someone like me (who clearly has an undiagnosed mental disorder) would flag the holy hell out of a book about a fellow with a mental disorder. It also seems fitting that I should let Matthew do
Maxwell
Mar 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own-it, 2015
A heartbreakingly beautiful account of trauma, grief, and mental illness. Still processing so much about this story, but it's one that will stay with me for a while. 4.5 stars
Hannah Green
It seems that, by pure coincidence, I have stumbled into a number of books regarding mental illness, however, the depiction that this book utilises is purely unique. This book is quite simply unlike anything else I have ever read, that is without doubt or question.

The use of various fonts interspersed with simple drawings complement well the inconsistent thought process which Matt's thought process follows. Moreover, the subtle references to past events, without explaining full details, created
Arlene
Jan 29, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It must be me since reviews of this book were overly positive but I honestly don't know why I took the time to finish reading this novel. I'm baffled by comments that this story could make anyone laugh and cry. It is certainly neither stunning nor a book that one would have a hard time putting down, and I would never recommend this book considering the wealth of options available to readers.

The only positive aspect of this novel is that it presents a very realistic glimpse of what mental illness
Regan
Jun 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-owned-read
Such an unbelievably honest story.
AMEERA
DNF 64%
headache not book 💔'
Amy | shoutame
Such an engaging read, straight into my favourites for the year!

- This novel follows the story of a young man named Matthew. We are told of the tragic death of Matthew's brother during childhood and how he blames himself for its occurrence. As the reader we are unsure as to whether Matthew is actually guilty of the death of his brother or whether it was just a tragic accident. Nearer the end of the novel we discover the real story as to how his brother died.

- The other vital element to this nov
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Nathan Filer’s debut stunned me and left me speechless. It’s been a long time since I read something so beautifully written.

Where the Moon Isn’t is a story told by Matthew Homes, a mentally ill nineteen-year-old. It’s a metafictional novel, as Matthew constantly and intentionally exposes himself as the author and communicates openly with the readers. He provides excuses when he’s unable to explain something or offer further details. He makes constant remarks about his mental stability,
Dem
Mar 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dem by: Noeleen
Nathan Filer's Debut Novel The Shock of The Fall is haunting and very real insight to death and mental illness.

I was recommended this novel and was assured it was a good audio book as I struggle with audio as opposed to reading and I have to say the narrator is excellent and he totally draws you into the character of Matthew to such an extinct that you feel it is actually Matthew narrating the story.

Matt Holmes is a 19 year old schizophrenic struggling within the mental health system who decides
Diane S ☔
Mar 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have never read anything quite like this book before, it is a unique experience traveling along in the mindset of a mentally ill young man. I remember going to the theaters and seeing the movie "Beautiful Minds", I loved this movie, was completely blown away. That is how I felt at the end of this book. First time book for author Nathan Filer, and since he was a mental health nurse in previous years, he knew what he was writing about.

Matthew, our unreliable narrator, has a voice that is very re
Lotte
I read the majority of this book within the last 24 hours. I just couldn’t stop reading and even neglected some of the stuff I should’ve been doing instead. Oops. But good books have the ability to make you forget everything around you, and The Shock of the Fall did just that.

‘I’ll tell you what happened because it will be a good way to introduce my brother. His name’s Simon. I think you’re going to like him. I really do. But in a couple of pages he’ll be dead. And he was never the same after t
Elahe
قطعا تو لیست بهترین کتاب هایی قرار میگیره که امسال خوندم و قراره بخونم.
داستان روایتی پراکنده از یک بیمار روانی هست. متیو همراه بردارش از خونه خارج میشه اما تنها بر میگرده. بعد از اون اتفاق همه چی برای خودش و خانواده اش تغییر می کنه.
احساس گناه ناشی از اون حادثه و شرایط زندگیش توی سال های بعد باعث میشه دچار فروپاشی روانی بشه و داستان روایتی پراکنده است از زمانی که در بیمارستان روانی بستریه و زمانی که اون حادثه اتفاق افتاده.
شخصیت متیو به قدری واقعیه که کاملا میشه باهاش همذات پنداری کرد. چون راوی
GTF
May 13, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Many parts of "The Shock of the Fall" that aim to evoke sentimentality and sorrow, fall a little flat. The writing is a bit yappy a lot of the time but that being said there are some lovely quotes and occasional tenderness throughout the book.

The plot was often gearing towards how Simon died, which really could have been told from the very beginning seen as the story was told from the perspective of Matthew (who was a witness) but instead it wasn't revealed till the very end. I acknowledge that
Deborah
Jan 27, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Teresa
Apr 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nathan Filer is a registered mental health nurse as well as a performance poet and his real-life experience is evident in this, his debut novel. The story is narrated by Matthew, a nineteen year old schizophrenic who recalls the sudden, tragic death of his older brother, Simon – a death which he believes he caused.

The use of mixed formats, different fonts interspersed with occasional line drawings cleverly mirrors the ebb and flow of Matthew’s mental illness. Likewise, the narrative flits betwee
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
One of my more unique reads this one, I was wary of the hype around it, but really enjoyed reading it. I love the way the book is written, for a debut novel it's quite exceptional, it's an emotion stirring book and thought provoking too.

It's essentially the story of a young man's descent into mental illness, from childhood events to trying to live as an independent adult and on to life in a mental health care facility.

What is spectacular about this book is how immersed in our main character yo
Ghazaleh
این پراکندگی روایت ها خیلی اذیت کننده بود به نظرم، مخصوصا که علاوه بر پراکندگی، بعضی جاها روایت هایی تعریف میشد که فقط زاییده ذهن متیو بودن و تو باید خودت اینو میفهمیدی که این روایت ها واقعی هستن یا نه!
و از نظر من ترجمه خیلی بدی بود، نمیدونم من اشتباه میکنم یا واقعا اینطور بود. جمله ها خیلی نامنسجم بودن انگار!
Kristijan
Jun 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Shock of the Fall ili Where the Moon isn't (ovaj drugi naslov je svakako bolji) je priča o Metjuu, koji je sve samo ne još jedan od običnih književnih junaka.
Odmah u startu čitaoci su svesni da on nije jednostavan, da je nešto drugačije u njemu, njegovom načinu razmišljanja i da je pritisnut mnogim bolima, tugom i krivicom.
U priči koju on priča, tj. piše na kompjuteru ili pisaćoj mašini (što je pisac ostvario promenom fonta), čitaoci putuju napred-natrag kroz Metjuov život i postaju saputnic
Tania
We are selfish my illness and I. We think only of ourselves. We shape the world around us into messages, into secret whispers spoken only for us.

3.5 stars. This was upsetting, but very insightful. To describe the descent into schizophrenia in such a vivid and moving way, you must have some experience with this illness in real life. So it made perfect sense when I read that the author has been a registered mental health nurse, working in psychiatric wards, for more than a decade.

I think what I li
Rissa
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tbr
Tragic and beautiful.
Amal Bedhyefi
I have never read anything like this book before, such an engaing and interesting read that deals with mental illness, schizophrenia to be more precise , as a result of a boy’s grief over the death of his older brother, Simon , who had the down syndrom .
A heartbreaking yet a very beautiful/strange story that my mind is still processing , I'm squite positive that this book will stay with me for a while.
I feel helpless and at the same time devastated..
João Carlos
Jul 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: l2015

Curta-metragem inspirada no livro "O Choque da Queda

"Ler é um pouco como ter uma alucinação." (Pág. 92)

** Spoiler Alert**

"Devo dizer que não sou boa pessoa. Às vezes tento ser, mas nem sempre sou. Por isso, quando foi a minha vez de ficar de olhos fechados e de contar até cem... fiz batota." (Pág. 9) – assim começa “O Choque da Queda” romance estreia do escritor inglês Nathan Filer.
Matthew Holmes tem nove anos e magoou-se num joelho enquanto brincava, no
Jessica
Nov 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Maybe it's because of my profession -- I work in marketing for a scholarly publisher -- but this book could serve as an interesting study in how book marketing works in the trade publishing world. I spent a lot of time looking at how the original British title -- The Shock of the Fall, a line repeated throughout the book -- and the original British descriptive copy became Americanized. The copy that accompanies the British edition (on GR at least, which tends to be fairly faithful to jacket copy ...more
Joost
Mijn recensie over dit boek kan je hier lezen: http://nerdygeekyfanboy.com/recensie/...
△⃒⃘Qamar Al Oqaily ⚯͛
Omg, That ending!! Got me for the second time 😭
So happy that i decided to re-read it 🙌🏻💕
Emmanuel
Sep 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*4.5 stars
The Shock of the Fall is the story of a boy desperately clinging to the memory of his brother; out of guilt, out of fear. It's such a hauntingly realistic depiction of mental illness, that it becomes difficult to continue reading, because from a certain point onward, every page breaks away a little piece of your heart.

"Spring sunshine painted pillars of white across my carpet"
Filer's writing is the backbone of the novel. Don't get me wrong, it's not the only good part of the book, but
Mental Health Boo...: June - The Shock of the Fall 7 16 Jun 15, 2017 01:03AM
Around the Year i...: Where The Moon Isn't, by Nathan Filer 2 19 May 06, 2016 11:19PM
Bloggers' Book Club: JUNE 2015: The Shock of the Fall by Nathan Filer 22 29 Jun 28, 2015 06:27PM
Prediction of Matthew's mental illness 3 69 Apr 28, 2015 01:58AM
  • The Humans
  • Grace Williams Says It Loud
  • The Wrong Boy
  • Ketchup Clouds
Nathan Filer is a writer and lecturer in Creative Writing.

His stand-up poetry has been a regular fixture at festivals and spoken-word events across the UK, and has been broadcast on BBC 3 television and radio 4, 7 and 5 Live. He is also a BBC Best New Filmmaker and holds an MA in Creative Writing from Bath Spa University.

He lives in Bristol with his partner and their baby daughter.
More about Nathan Filer...

“Reading is a bit like hallucinating.” 174 likes
“Mental illness turns people inwards. That's what I reckon. It keeps up forever trapped by the pain of our own minds, in the same way that the pain of a broken leg or a cut thumb will grab your attention, holding it so tightly that your good leg or your good thumb seem to cease to exist.” 156 likes