Start by marking “Final Frontier: The Pioneering Science and Technology of Exploring the Universe” as Want to Read:
Final Frontier: The Pioneering Science and Technology of Exploring the Universe

Final Frontier: The Pioneering Science and Technology of Exploring the Universe

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  36 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Star Trek was right — there is only one final frontier, and that is space...

Human beings are natural explorers, and nowhere is this frontier spirit stronger than in the United States of America. It almost defines the character of the US. But the Earth is running out of frontiers fast.

In Brian Clegg's The Final Frontier we discover the massive challenges that face explorers
Published August 19th 2014 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Final Frontier, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Final Frontier

Josh
Jul 27, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Received as an ARC from St. Martin's Press.

Clegg’s ’Final Frontier’ incorporates a small lesson into conceptual physics mixed with how humans translate their ideas (albeit from science fiction) from paper to reality in regards to exploring open space; travelling not only to our nearest theoretically possible habitable area (eventually) Mars, but also sharing hypotheses about deep space travel.  Towards the end of the book, the author even states:

”As we have seen, going into space is not really a
Jimmy
Sep 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Being someone who fascinate in universe and space, this book let me learn about the history and plans of mankind trying to explore the universe (and may be inhabit on some planets), including the different options (near term or future) and the associated technological challenges to deal with the different phenomenon of the universe. It explains how the various government or private projects that have succeeded, failed or currently in progress to pursue mankind's curiosity to reach other planets ...more
SouthernGirl
Jul 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Look, up in the sky...it's a bird, it's a plane, no it could be a space elevator! With spirited enthusiasm, physicist Brian Clegg daringly suggests how we might find and sustain life beyond our atmosphere.

From the early space speculative writings of Galileo, to state-of-the-art computer systems of NASA, we have yearned to venture out from our cozy home of Earth. But how do we achieve this? What do we do when we get out there? How do we stay alive as we search the universe? With intense chapters
Claire
Oct 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I appreciate what this Cambridge author is doing - making STEM seem more accessible, at least the science and technology parts, regardless of what gender is conducting the research.

This book reminded me of why I even began to study astrophysics, and it tied in with what I know of the space race between the USA and the USSR, re: Yuri Gagarin and Vostok 1 (he was the first up in space on 12 April 1961 [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuri_Gag... leading to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vostok_p...]),
Jenny T
Jan 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Space elevators, asteroid miners, mass drivers, and colonies on Mars -- oh, my! The author's enthusiasm for space exploration is wonderfully infectious. Physicist Brian Clegg discusses what mankind is currently doing to explore the final frontier, the barriers that stand in our way, and ultimately how cool it would be if and when we surpass them. For example, it could take two thousand years for us to terraform Mars enough for plant growth, if we started right now. BUT if we could, oh, if we cou ...more
David
Jul 31, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, ibooks
Clegg reviews and speculates about the technologies needed to enable humans to travel the stars. Usual cast of characters: nuclear fusion, space warps, wormholes, etc. While some of the writing is tedious, finding a way for humans to be in space is a worthy goal. Clegg takes NASA and politicians to task for not pursuing this goal. Clegg makes liberal use of science fiction to help illustrate some of the more arcane science. Take out "in principle" and "gravity well", this book would be one third ...more
Hank
Nov 28, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
Clegg takes a look at the difficulties involved in traveling throughout our solar system and beyond. The discussion is not particularly deep, but it does give the reader a solid understanding of just exactly what must be overcome if humanity is to become a space-faring species. The chapter on interstellar exploration is especially insightful, as is the coverage of the surprising challenges of visiting Mars.
Stavra
An entertaining, interesting, and well-written layperson's guide to the universe and our place in it. The author, Brian Clegg, has a knack for explaining complicated scientific phenomena in ways that the average interested non-scientist can grasp while not dumbing down the technical aspects.
Alden
Jan 04, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not bad at all. Seemed like he shared just about every idea anyone's ever had on exploring and exploiting space, no matter how serious or ridiculous they were, and subsequently shot down the ones that are farfetched or impossible.
Simon Dumas
Jun 24, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Red Rover: Inside the Story of Robotic Space Exploration, from Genesis to the Mars Rover Curiosity
  • We Seven: By the Astronauts Themselves
  • Mission to Mars: My Vision for Space Exploration
  • Apocalyptic Planet: Field Guide to the Ever-Ending Earth
  • Discovery: Champion of the Space Shuttle Fleet
  • Eccentric Orbits: The Iridium Story
  • The Power of the Sea: Tsunamis, Storm Surges, Rogue Waves, and Our Quest to Predict Disasters
  • Red Moon Rising: Sputnik and the Hidden Rivalries that Ignited the Space Age
  • Marketing the Moon: The Selling of the Apollo Lunar Program
  • Martian Summer: Robot Arms, Cowboy Spacemen, and My 90 Days with the Phoenix Mars Mission
  • Hubble's Universe: Greatest Discoveries and Latest Images
  • Korolev: How One Man Masterminded the Soviet Drive to Beat America to the Moon
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Game Theory
  • The Last Hours of Humanity: Warming the World to Extinction
  • The Making of Middle-Earth: A New Look Inside the World of J.R.R. Tolkien
  • The Ordinary Spaceman: From Boyhood Dreams to Astronaut
  • Space Eldritch
  • Forever Young: A Life of Adventure in Air and Space
Brian's latest books, Ten Billion Tomorrows and How Many Moons does the Earth Have are now available to pre-order. He has written a range of other science titles, including the bestselling Inflight Science, The God Effect, Before the Big Bang, A Brief History of Infinity, Build Your Own Time Machine and Dice World.

Along with appearances at the Royal Institution in London he has spoken at venues fr
More about Brian Clegg...