Start by marking “L'esilarante mistero del papà scomparso” as Want to Read:
L'esilarante mistero del papà scomparso

L'esilarante mistero del papà scomparso

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  43,595 ratings  ·  6,818 reviews
Caro lettore, credo che tutto abbia avuto inizio una ventina d'anni fa, quando scrissi un libro intitolato Il giorno che scambiai mio padre con due pesci rossi.
Mi sono sentito in colpa da allora.
Come padre. Come essere umano. La gente leggeva il mio libro e imparava che i padri sono svagati cumuli di distrazione che sfogliano il giornale e ogni tanto mangiano una carota.
Ho
Published 2014 by Mondadori (first published September 17th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about L'esilarante mistero del papà scomparso, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Paul Krueger
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  43,595 ratings  ·  6,818 reviews

Rachel Hamilton
Sep 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A review by my 9 y-o son, described by the utterly lovely Neil Gaiman as the 'best review ever':

Today I was sick. My mum doesn’t always believe me when I say I’m sick, but my sister was sick yesterday so Mum said I could stay off school. ‘BUT,’ she said, ‘Don’t think you’re going to be lazing around watching TV and playing on the computer all day.’

That was bad news. That is, indeed, what I was planning on doing. :(

I was bored, so Mum let me borrow her Kindle to read a book that was making her l
Jayson
(A-) 83% | Very Good
Notes: Gaiman, like a chef savant boldly tossing supposedly dissonant ingredients into a pot, makes a heck of a tasty stew.
Brendon Schrodinger
Mar 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
It was a rainy morning and I felt like reading Neil's new book 'Fortunately, the Milk'. So I popped on my favourite astronaut t-shirt and caught the bus to my local bookstore, Snuffin and Kooks. I looked high and low for Neil's book, but all that was there were stacks of Paranormal Romance as far as I could see.

"Excuse me," I said to the nearest droopy-eyed sales attendant. "Do you have Neil Gaiman's new book, 'Fortunately, the Milk'?"

She rolled her eyes so far back that I thought for a moment
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
A quirky, weird, and fun book! I wouldn't expect anything less from Neil Gaiman. :P
Alejandro
Fortunately, I read this book!

HOW MUCH FUN AN HOUR CAN BE

Quite funny, entertaining and it's a really quick read.

What else can you ask?

I did it on an hour...

...And for that hour I had such wonderful time.

In an hour I was lost in time, meeting fantastic characters and laughing.

PERFECT COLLABORATIVE TEAM

If you decide to read it, keep in mind that it's a short story oriented for children, so please, don't harm the rating of this sweet book just because you were expecting "Neil Gaiman, the gre
Kenny

Neil Gaiman’s latest book, “Fortunately The Milk” is a boisterous tale of an extraordinary adventure, time travel and milk. Gaiman’s is full of surprises, jokes and an awful lot of just being plain silly. If you can’t tell already, I loved this book.

Gaiman’s tale narrated by a boy whose mother is away on a business trip, and whose father had to go out to the corner store for a pint of milk for the cereal and his tea. Dad takes an unconscionably long time getting the milk, and when he returns, t
Patrick
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
I listened to this on audiobook during a car trip with my oldest boy, (Oot, Age 4.5).

We both really enjoyed it. Though didn't get to see the illustrations, we got to hear Neil himself reading it, and he's a very, very good narrator. If you've never heard him reading his own stuff, you're really missing out.
Miranda Reads
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Five bucks on Gaiman throwing darts at an idea-board.

Why? Maybe cause of the time traveling dinosaurs, unicorns, wumpires and aliens.

For such a decidedly whimsical book, it was unexpectedly fabulous. Two kids are left home alone with dad for a weekend while scientist-mom is at a conference (unexpectedly great reason for mom to be gone for the week!). Only, when it comes time for breakfast...the kids discover that there's no milk for their cereal.

Their dad bravely ventures forth to pick up some
Hannah Greendale

A quirky tale of time travelling dinosaurs, blood sucking wumpires (yes, wumpires) and enthusiastic pirates, made even more amusing by an abundance of winsome illustrations.

Lisa
Jul 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, neil-gaiman
Funny! Silly! Crazy but sweet!

This is an excellent book to read aloud to 4th grade kids who are in the process of developing a sense for the absurdities of life. It is mainly about telling stories and that you can make up a great plot about anything, no matter how boring the so-called truth of every-day life is. Small things give you big ideas - and they don't have to make sense.

Fortunately, the milk was out - otherwise a couple of children would have missed out on aliens, pirates, Splod and va
Ahmed  Ejaz
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories, 2017
Milk!! I think author has a great love for milk. :)

This book is about a father who buys milk for his children. And after that, he gets trapped in a space-time continuum by aliens who wants to re-model the planet Earth and wants permission from him to do so as he is a representative of planet Earth. Lol! Father is telling his children the story of how he gets back to present-time in the whole book.

FEELINGS WHILE READING
It's a very delightful read. I enjoyed it. Really liked the adventures.
Th
*Swaroop*
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
Incredible!

Mermaid with legs

Queen of the pirates

This one's a wonderfully fun and enjoyable read! Timeless tale of time!!

Neil Gaiman never disappoints.

***
"It’s important for people to tell you what side they are on and why, and whether they might be biased. A declaration of members’ interests, of a sort. So, I am going to be talking to you about reading. I’m going to tell you that libraries are important. I’m going to suggest that reading fiction, that reading for pleasure, is one of the most i
Ivan
Cooperation between Neil Gaiman and Chris Riddell always results in something special. This is children's book but it's one that brings back child in me (which to be honest isn't that deeply buried). I had wide grin through out whole reading.
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

What happens when Mom is away at a conference and Dad is left in charge? Well, of course they run out of milk. Follow along on Dad’s remarkable expedition to retrieve more milk. His adventure is filled with hot air balloons, dinosaurs, aliens, ponies, vampires and a talking volcano???

Gaiman could write anything – I mean absolutely ANYTHING and I would read it, so when this definitely-written-for-kids children’s novel popped up on a Ga
Lesley
Thank god for Skottie Young, his expressive and original style was the thing that kept me turning the pages. It's hard for me to say that because I want to like Neil Gaiman. And I am OBSESSED with The Graveyard Book, and I've been trying to find some other work of his to praise, but unfortunately this isn't it.
It's an okay book. The story is kinda cute, in a cutesy rambling sarcastic way. It seems forced and quickly told, like Neil was at a party telling this story and someone wrote it down and
Jul 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Laura by: ♥Rachel♥

A story can be found in every moment, step, and nook & cranny in life. Even a quick trip out for milk can turn into an adventure. Especially with Neil Gaiman around! The man has once again stolen my heart, giggles, and smile with a nonstop, swashbuckling spin through time and space with pirates, aliens, and wumpires. Come on, let go, and allow your imagination to wander around in Neil Gaiman’s head for a bit.

Our story begins in the kitchen. Two kids, with dashed hopes and dry cereal, stare
Karl Orbell
Oct 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Right, well here I am cheating a bit - as I did not physically read this book. Neil Gaiman read it to me, in person! Chris Riddell drew pictures to help illustrate the story in the background on a screen and Lenny Henry even helped out with some of the voices. Other musicians and actresses were involved, quite a big event. (His wife, Amanda Palmer, even turned up to play her ukulele unexpectedly, with a customised version of a song tailored to sell the book. ;-)

What a magnificent evening.

The sto
Melki
If Bruce Springsteen had written this book, it would have gone something like this:

Got a wife and kids in Baltimore, Jack.
I went out for a ride some milk,
and I never went back.

Fortunately, he didn't write it.

Neil Gaiman did.

And so, we're treated to a magical little tale of professorial dinosaurs, pirates, piranhas, and ponies. It's a merry old time, greatly enhanced by Skottie Young's illustrations.
description

My favorite part was when it is revealed that Dad, (view spoiler)
Alice-Elizabeth (marriedtobooks)
I listened to the audiobook via my library's BorrowBox service!

Fortunately, The Milk is a quick middle-grade read about a Dad who goes out to buy some milk one morning and arrives back to his children a little later than they would have liked. To entertain them, he tells them a story of his adventure involving the milk. There are dinosaurs, aliens, pirates... yep, lots more strange characters and events are included. It was a fun listen and narrated well by Neil himself. I did find myself laughi
Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣
This is my son's first book. ♡♡♡

He had to read it for school, and I read it with him. It was also my first Neil Gaiman book, and I wasn't very impressed with it. I cannot say it was bad or anything like that. Just not my cup of tea.

All that said, it will always hold a special place in my heart because of my son.
description
Brent
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
Loved this so much.

Proving once again that its never too late to be a kid.
Paul Nelson
Well I'm forty and some loose change years of age and I never, ever thought I'd be reading children's books again. I can't even remember reading them when I was a kid but Neil Gaimans 'are but aren't reeeeaaaally' children's books are an absolute delight, so much so, that I've bought all of them. There's gentle murmurs and mutters of darkness within and Gaiman is a master wordsmith that wraps you up in his stories, and its impossible to get out until the very end.

Fortunately, the Milk sees Fathe
Jason
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We thoroughly enjoyed this, a time travel book for kids. It feels like Neil Gaiman once got himself in a bit of bother with his kids and needed an excuse to get himself out of trouble. The illustrations were wonderful, something to look at on each page, the main character looking like the author really helps. If you like books with dinosaurs, pirates, aliens, human sacrifices and time travel, then this book is for you.

PS: If you like this and want another time travel book for kids then check out
Jessi ♥️ H. Vojsk
Well, that was short and entertaining :)
C.G. Drews
Dec 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is such a wild, wild little adventure. I though it was middle-grade, but it's more children's-reader-style. There's a LOT of illustrations and the font is large. It has a very British tone, too, which I adore. So it wasn't quite what I thought it'd be...I still liked it. I ate it in like 15mins.

So basically the story is about a dad who goes to get milk for his kids...and goes on a whirlwind adventure in the process. The kids are at home, staring at their dry cereal, while their dad gets kid
Mario
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, own-read
“You have your milk,” he said. “Where there is milk, there is hope.”

Nail Gaiman and Chris Riddell again prove that they are a perfect combination of an author and an illustrator. The story, alone, is quite good, but when it is combined with amazing illustrations done by Riddell, it truly comes to life. A short, but fun and exciting story, that reminded me why Gaiman is one of my favorite authors.
Connor
Sep 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
That was so much fun! I highly, highly recommend getting the edition illustrated by Chris Riddell. It makes the reading experience so much better! I thought this was such a fun childrens' book, and Neal never fails to impress me. Can't wait to read more works by him.
Kristina Horner
Aug 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Delightful, fun and a super quick read. I adored the artwork.
This book is perfect for a readathon. :)
Ronyell
Nov 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Huge fans of Neil Gaiman's works!!!
Recommended to Ronyell by: Brenda
Milk

I have read many books by Neil Gaiman that were either children’s books or adult books, but Neil Gaiman’s most recent book, “Fortunately, the Milk,” has to be one of the most surreal and light-hearted books out of his collection!

The story starts off with a young boy and his little sister running out of milk and their father ends up going to the store to buy some more milk. However, when the father vanishes for a long time and he finally comes back home, his kids wonder where he had been. The f
Lynda
milk

Mum's gone away on a business trip and has left Dad in charge. Uh-Oh! She leaves a really, really long list of what he's got to do while she's gone. And the most important thing is DON'T FORGET TO GET THE MILK. Unfortunately, Dad forgets. So the next morning, before breakfast, he has to go to the corner shop, and this is the story of why it takes him a very, very long time to get back. Featuring: Professor Steg (a time-travelling dinosaur), some green globby things, the Queen of the Pirates, the
Around the Year i...: Fortunately, the Milk, by Neil Gaiman 4 41 Jan 13, 2018 01:40PM
The Bee's Bookshelf: Discussion Thread 37 24 Oct 01, 2017 12:54PM
ACPL Online Book ...: Neil Gaiman! Yay! 1 6 Sep 25, 2017 08:54AM
The Bee's Bookshelf: Favorite Words 7 19 Sep 08, 2017 06:50AM
Just Me or Everyone? 16 252 Sep 11, 2016 07:44PM
Did anybody actually like it? 11 94 Sep 11, 2016 07:41PM

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Castle Hangnail
  • The Story of Diva and Flea
  • Battle Bunny
  • Operation Bunny (Wings & Co, #1)
  • The Princess in Black (The Princess in Black, #1)
  • The Year of Billy Miller
  • The Cats of Tanglewood Forest (Newford, #18)
  • Ottoline and the Yellow Cat (Ottoline, #1)
  • The True Blue Scouts of Sugar Man Swamp
  • Twelve Kinds of Ice
  • Mouse Bird Snake Wolf
  • Unicorn Thinks He's Pretty Great
  • Lindbergh: The Tale of a Flying Mouse
  • Bowling Alley Bandit
  • Mr. and Mrs. Bunny—Detectives Extraordinaire! (The Bunny's #1)
  • Super Narwhal and Jelly Jolt (A Narwhal and Jelly Book #2)
  • Oliver and the Seawigs
“Spoons are excellent. Sort of like forks, only not as stabby.” 51 likes
“If the same object from two different times touches itself, one of two things will happen. Either the Universe will cease to exist. Or three remarkable dwarfs will dance through the streets with flowerpots on their heads.” 44 likes