Start by marking “The Girl Who Walked On Air” as Want to Read:
The Girl Who Walked On Air

The Girl Who Walked On Air

Abandoned as a baby at Chipchase's Travelling Circus, Louie dreams of becoming a 'Showstopper'. Yet Mr Chipchase only ever lets her sell tickets. No Death-Defying Stunts for her. So in secret, Louie practises her act- the tightrope- and dreams of being the Girl Who Walked on Air. All she needs is to be given the chance to shine.

One night a terrible accident occurs. Now the
Published August 7th 2014 by Faber & Faber (first published August 5th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Girl Who Walked On Air, please sign up.
Katie Dobson No, I disapprove of this and would not have read it if any animals were hurt in this book.

Lata
2.5 stars. This was ok. I liked the historical details of a Victorian circus in England (though filtered for a young audience), and was surprised to learn about how kids performed in circuses (until it was outlawed in 1879). Louie is determined and brave and hardworking, and just never gives up.
Abi Elphinstone
Dec 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Having developed a mini crush on Will from Emma Carroll’s Frost Hollow Hall Moontrug was so excited to hear Carroll has a new book out – another enchanting historical adventure for 9-11 years: The Girl Who Walked on Air.

Ladies and Gentlemen, we bring you to the sensational story of Louie Reynolds, whose dream is to become a circus showstopper. Whose tightrope talents put the finest performers to shame. Yet the path to fame is a rocky one. To travel it, Louie must first: witness a terrible accide
Beth (bibliobeth)
Aug 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Girl Who Walked On Air is the wonderfully talented Emma Carroll's second novel for children, aimed around the middle grade reading age but... (and this is a big BUT), I truly believe that her books can be enjoyed by children and adults alike, especially those adults who love an imaginative plot and beautifully drawn characters like Louie Reynolds, our heroine for the story.

I first came across Emma's writing with her fantastic debut, Frost Hollow Hall which completely captured my heart and I
Olivia
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved this book! It was filled with adventure as a young girl accomplishes her dreams!
Chrissi
Aug 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was thoroughly looking forward to reading The Girl Who Walked On Air after being really impressed with Emma Carroll’s debut novel Frost Hollow Hall last year. I’m happy to say that this book totally exceeded my already high expectations. Emma Carroll’s writing is absolutely beautiful. I felt like I was in the book, watching the scenes unfold before my eyes. It was fantastic!

The Girl Who Walked On Air centres around Louie, a young girl who has grown up with Mr Chipchase’s circus after being aba
Peter
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade
A gorgeous middle grade circus story. I listened to the audio book, read brilliantly by Victoria Fox. Emma really captures the details and feel of a small Victorian circus, wrapped up in a fantastically plotted, pacy tale about finding your courage and overcoming fears, both onstage and off. I think it is probably my favourite of all her books I have read, although it is a close run things with In Darkling Wood
Michelle (Fluttering Butterflies)
I absolutely adored The Girl Who Walked On Air by Emma Carroll. This is Emma Carroll's second historical story aimed at a middle grade audience but it is the first book of hers I've read. I'm sure I'll go back and read Frost Hollow Hall based on the strength of feeling I had for this book though.

I absolutely loved the main character, Louie, and witnessing her journey throughout this book. She goes on such an adventure! And I definitely think my favourite aspect of this book is Louie's determina
Essie Fox
Nov 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A delightful YA Victorian read. A well drawn central character in Louie, the tightrope-walking girl, and her adventures in the world of the circus. Emma Caroll writes so clearly, with a very well-defined plot line and excellent pacing - and her stories deal with issues that affect young people of any era - loneliness, hopes, friends, family, who you can trust and who you can't.
Charlotte Aitken
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My favourite book by Emma Carroll so far.
Gemma
Apr 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
I discovered Emma Carroll through my love of the Victorian era. Even though her books are aimed at children aged 9-11 years I couldn't resist the allure of her first book, a victorian ghost story called Frost Hollow Hall. This became one of my favourite books.

So........ when I discovered Carroll was writing a second YA book, this time set in a Victorian circus, I squealed, pre-ordered and then became increasingly nervous as the release date drew nearer. Was this book going to be as good as her
Kim
Jul 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley, kindle, 2014
I received a copy of this book for review from Net Galley.

This was a charming story about a girl who was left with a circus as a baby and is desperate to become a show stopping act. She wants to walk the tightrope and practices secretly. She wonders why her mother never came to collect her.

I found the book a little slow starting- but am so glad that I persevered with it - as it really picked up.

Louie manages to stow away on a liner heading for the Niagara Falls where Mr Well Beloved has plans fo
Luna
Feb 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Girl Who Walked On Air was one of my most eagerly anticipated releases of this year. I fell in love with Emma Carroll’s writing in Frost Hollow Hall and am pleased to say it is just as beautiful in this story.

Louie is headstrong and determined – she will be a Showstopper. I loved her fire, even when you could see that it will lead her into trouble.

The Girl Who Walked On Air is an adventure both for Louie and the reader because the writing makes everything so vivid you’re emotionally invested
Sorrel
Mar 02, 2014 marked it as to-read
Apparently it's set in a Victorian circus- want to read so very, very much! But I have to wait until August!

So... sad.
Ooh! I'm so excited, my heart's all aflutter like the beating of a butterfly's wings...

But when it does come out I reckon that it will be amazing... a thousand wonders in a book

Tash
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Trying to ease myself back into the habit of reading, I checked the ebook of "The Girl Who Walked on Air" out from my library, planing to dip in and out of it until I got to the end. Instead, I devoured it in a couple of days, reading on my lunch break, on the bus, and even in the street. It's that good.

The story revolves around Louisa, or Louie. Abandoned as a baby in Mr Chipchase's circus, she's stuck selling tickets and mending costumes, but in her spare time she steals away from the camp to
Vanessa Lobato
Sep 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a beautiful and enchanting read. Louie, abandoned by her mother, has grown up in Chipchase's Travelling Circus. Desperate to become a show stopping tightrope walker and find her mother, Louie runs away to America with rival circus owner Mr Wellbeloved and faces her biggest challenge - walking across Niagara Falls. Louie is a brave and empowered character and her story is the perfect read for girls taking their own tightropes walks into an unknown future. Highly recommend.
Maeve!!
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this book💓
Jade
Aug 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Plot
The Girl Who Walked On Air is an entertaining read aimed at the middle grade audience, but easily enjoyed by any age range. The story is narrated by Louie, a young girl who has been brought up in a travelling circus. Surrounded by the theatrics of the circus, Louie has just one ambition and that's to be a showstopper, a show stopping tightrope walker. Her ambition proves difficult as she and her skills are constantly being put down however that doesn't deter Louie from achieving her drea
Suze Lavender
Feb 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Louie is a member of Chipchase's Travelling Circus. Her mother left her with them when she was a baby and she's never come back. Louie never has the feeling of really belonging with someone. Mr. Chipchase doesn't want her to perform in the circus and when he finally has no other choice he lets her do the most horrible act, denying her the thing she's so good at. She should have been the showstopper, but he hasn't made her one. Louie's very good at walking the tightrope and she can do almost anyt ...more
Courtney Fitzmaurice
Jul 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this. I haven't read a book set in the Victorian times in a long while, so it was nice to go back there again.

It took me a while to warm up to the main character, thirteen - year - old - Louie, but she grew on me and I enjoyed reading the story from her narrative. Certain aspects of her personality, such as her bravery and her attitude, reminded be of Jacqueline Wilson's Tracy Beaker, who I liked reading about when I was younger. I really enjoyed reading about Louie's friendsh
Michelle Moloney King
Jul 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Review first shared on my blog www.moloneyking.com

As I said in my preview I was delighted to have gotten this book to review. This is Emma Carroll’s second historical story aimed at a middle grade audience, well anyone who likes a good book really.

The setting of a Victorian circus was written well. We see friendships develop between our main character, Louie, and new arrival, Gabriel. Louie wants to be taken more seriously, she wants to be centre stage on the tight rope but everyone is against h
Kiki
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Best book I've ever read I wish she could somehow make a sequel
Lily
Jul 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was just a really fun book. It was predictable but also pretty different than any circus books I've read before. It's really what I always hope circus books might be and never are. I want to know about the skills, the passions, the characters and all their complicated messiness, the moving around, the ups and downs, the risks, that life, y'know? And this book had all that and was engaging, not overstuffed, and was great fun to boot. The main character was a great heroine, flawed and hot-hea ...more
Lois
Dec 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
I found this book in a shop in Dublin and was attracted to it because of the main character's name, Louie Reynolds. Louie is a young circus performer during Victorian times. I hadn't realize that it is considered a Young Adult novel but like many of that genre it has a very universal appeal. The characters are very interesting and it has a very engaging storyline that has elements of suspense and human interest.

Louie is full of spunk and her quest to both be a "showstopper" and find her mother
Jo
Jan 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This enchanting tale pulled me in from the very first line and didn't let me go until the last. Even then I was tempted {and still am} to begin again.
It has thrills, spills, villains, heroes and a circus. What more could a girl want?
I loved Emma Carroll's first book (Frost Hollow Hall) and this is even better.
Although it's listed as a children's book I'd strongly recommend it to anyone with a love of great fiction, whether grown up {or masquerading as such!} or otherwise.
An absolute delight.
Very
Margaret Pemberton
Dec 28, 2014 rated it really liked it

I was lucky enough to read this as a review copy from Netgalley and it was a fantastic read. Set in a Victorian circus with the high wire act at the centre of the tale it has you holding your breath an praying that the heroine can perform some of the amazing feats demanded of her. it is full of sadness, hope, pathos and ultimately triumph over evil, everyting you could hope for in a story like this.
Rachel Schieffelbein
Apr 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely charming! I really enjoyed this book, and handed it to my daughter as soon as I finished it. The writing is beautiful, and the story quite fascinating. Being in Louie's head as she walked the tightrope was wonderful. This is one I'll definitely recommend, and I look forward to reading more by Carroll.
Isobel
Nov 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Isobel by: NoD
Absolutely incredible, I just couldn't put the book down. If I had to review the best book I've read for school, it would be this book. Louie is so bold and I admire her. She just doesn't give up no matter what. Overall, most amazing book I've ever read and Emma Carroll is an author to look out for.
Gee
Jun 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Colourful and thrilling, Emma Carroll's Big Top tale is woven with secrets and charm. Beautifully written, it gives us yet another gutsy heroine, Louie, and her feisty sidekick, Pip the terrier.
Chlo
May 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
such a brilliant read read this a few months back and i loved it.
Penguin1612
Jan 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Good book with lots of mystery and adventure
Goodreads Librari...: Page Numbering Request 3 11 Apr 09, 2018 06:36AM

• Brightstorm
  • There May Be a Castle
  • Dreaming the Bear
  • Shadows of the Silver Screen (Twelve Minutes To Midnight, #2)
  • Snowglobe
  • The Explorer
  • Just Henry
  • Oliver and the Seawigs
  • The Boy, The Bird and The Coffin Maker

After years of teaching English to secondary school students, Emma now writes full time. She graduated with distinction from Bath Spa University’s MA in Writing For Young People. In another life Emma wishes she’d written ‘Rebecca’ by Daphne Du Maurier. She lives in the Somerset hills with her husband and three terriers.