Start by marking “The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle” as Want to Read:
The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle

The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  671 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
A collection of annals written in Old English narrating the history of Anglo-Saxons.
Published April 1st 2007 by Echo Library (first published 890)

Fiona Robson
Feb 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've intended to read this for some time now, but the Bernard Cornwell books kind of chivvied me on a bit! Why oh why oh why isn't this stuff taught in schools?????!!! It's absolutely fascinating! I had no idea William the Conqueror was such a tyrant! Of course, everything about Alfred is fascinating, but all of it was so interesting! Can feel a letter to Michael Gove coming on ...
The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle is a blend of the accessible for example the continuous narrative of the King Stephen's reign with its well-known phrase "and men said openly that Christ and His saints slept" and the difficult - brief entries that presumably were full of significance when they were written but hard to understand without a fuller context.

It's believed that the chronicle was started in the reign of Alfred the Great - entries from that point are full and remain fairly detailed for some ye
Deborah Pickstone
I will acquire my own copy - an indispensable reference for anyone interested in Dark Ages/ Middle Ages - and fascinating, to boot!
Wendy Fortune
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very good book with great original source material!
Malcolm Little
I did not rate the Anglo-Saxon Chronicles as I would a work of fiction or even indeed a work of creative non-fiction. The work of the English chroniclers from a millennia ago is counted as a historical document. So how could I rate a historical document 3/5? There wasn’t anything wrong with the translations, so what gives?

Well, as with any chronicling of an era, historians have certain duties: to remain unbiased, to capture all walks of life, and to be accurate in regards to people, places and t
B. Hawk
Oct 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: old-english
As the first full translation of the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle since 1953, Swanton's volume delivers an important text in a medium that is accessible for any reader. It is apparent that this work is the direct beneficiary of work in recent decades on the various manuscripts and versions of the Chronicle, and this is reflected in the fact that all of the extant versions are translated and presented in a comparative layout. Furthermore, the copious footnotes to the translation provide numerous comment ...more
Linda Orvis
Mar 22, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: English history fans
Recommended to Linda by: My English Literature Reading List
I borrowed a friend's card to the Cal State Fullerton Library to check out three volumes at a time of the 14-volume set. The books were kept on one of the top floors, and they were old and smelled like mold...mmm, my favorite book-smell. I can't believe that now the condensed set can be ordered in paperback! It took me several months to read the meticulous writing of ancient monks, (translated from Old English) and I learned so much about how the world was viewed by these scholarly men of the 9t ...more
Aubrey Bierwirth
I trudged through this for awhile. There are things I find incredibly interesting and that are so helpful for contextualization, but for just sitting down and reading, bits like the lists of bishops' deaths can get a bit frustrating.

However, there are some real jewels in the entries, like the fiery dragons in the sky, the founding/naming of towns, or the extensive description of medieval torture that stood out to me. I like how the king's ancestry is traced at first to Woden, then eventually to
Jim Kearnan
Feb 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm giving 5 stars to the version I read; ISBN 978-1-934941-50-8 Red and Black Publishers.
It contained all translations by Rev. James Ingram and all translations that hold variances to Ingram's by Dr J. A. Giles. So the book was thoroughly produced. Of course, one cannot really rate such a book on its content in the same way one would for fiction, or even modern non-fiction reference material, as this was, quite rightly, the most important documentation of history in that part of the world ever
Apr 21, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: british-history
Translated and edited by Mr. Anglo-Saxon, Michael Swanton. The Brit Saxons honored Church time and recorded it by memorable events. Most of it is real history, some fantasy, all attempted to be accurate and worth keeping around. A big work and one that will give hours of either boredom or enjoyment. If the imagination is unleashed, enjoyment follows. I suggest that reader direction. Recommended to Brit history folk.
Jun 10, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: medieval, own
For some reason, my friend Nick felt it was necessary to give me a copy of Garmonsway's Anglo-Saxon Chronicle. I've had much fun looking at the differences between the versions and sifting through the kind of stuff that would interest the monks that wrote it: the death and installation of popes, bishops and abbots. Never forget that most of our impressions of medieval monarchs are based on the opinion of ecclesiastics, who had their own axes to grind.
Jan 20, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent text, bought to supplement my own class textbooks, containing seven passages from the Anglo-Saxon Chronicles, in their original Old English. A facing-page glossary is provided for beginning students. Clear, simple passages allow the student to gain confidence in their abilities to translate from the ancient tongue.
Jeffrey Smith
Found it interesting how fully develped soceity was 1,000 years ago in the Early Middle Ages. Now I know what life was like back in the 12th Century when my earliest recorded ancestors lived. Reading the book was like reading the Bible book of Numbers. Some good stories, but buried in a chronoloical record that was maintained by Norman Monks.
Dec 15, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
This is not a book you start at the beginning and go on to the end. Unless you are more patient than I am as it's a list of happenings through the years.
Of course it helps if you know something about England's history. Then following the course of history through the eyes of some monk gives a different perspective of that history.
Richard Pomeroy
Feb 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As the proverbial fountainhead of English history the ASC is a must read if you have any interest in the topic. Keep in mind it was not written with the modern reader in mind and deals almost exclusively with the doings of Kings, earls and major ecclesiasts. While a short work it took me two years of nibbling to complete.
Apr 26, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: medieval
Once you have even a passing knowledge of the Anglo-Saxons, you'll probably want to read through the Chronicle. Whitelock's translation features side-by-side versions of each manuscript when sources differ.
Laurie Chipman
A timeline of English royal history from the early Anglo-Saxons to a little after William the Conqueror. Starts out a little dry and could have more story telling but later gets into more stories. Sometimes hard to follow but interesting just the same.
Richard Epstein
Although important, this is tedious. About all I remember is that whilst Alfred was distracted by Charlotte, the diligent and inspiring spider, he burnt his cakes, which led to his being known forever after as The Alfred the Unready.
Aug 01, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is a bit monotonous as it is a chronicle not a telling. History buffs like me will find it interesting.
Nov 01, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I skimmed the rest of this. It's interesting from a historical perspective.
Heather Domin
3 stars for this particular translation and e-book formatting. (It was free after all.)
Jul 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Britain's real bible!
Jun 02, 2007 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: historians and archaeologists
this book contains a historical documentation of events in england most of which is not exact but is interesting nevertheless
William Harris
Dec 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well compiled from multiple medieval versions. This printing includes side text which helps put the entries in better context.
James Violand
Jun 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: history buffs
Shelves: own
Great historical review of Britain.
Jan 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arthurian
proves conclusively that arturus rex led a golden age after they kicked out the bloody romans.
Nancy Crayton
Aug 01, 2014
Nov 27, 2015
Jul 19, 2015
  • Alfred the Great: Asser's Life of King Alfred and Other Contemporary Sources
  • Anglo-Saxon England (Oxford History of England)
  • The Anglo-Saxons
  • The Anglo-Saxon World: An Anthology
  • Ecclesiastical History of the English People
  • The Journey Through Wales & The Description of Wales
  • A Guide to Old English
  • The History of the Franks
  • Anglo-Saxon Poetry (Everyman's Library)
  • The Origins of the Second World War
  • Feudal Society, Volume 2
  • Old English and Its Closest Relatives: A Survey of the Earliest Germanic Languages
  • Alfred the Great
  • A History of Wales
  • A History of Roman Britain
  • Concise Anglo-Saxon Dictionary
  • The History of the Kings of Britain
  • Chronicles of the Crusades
Various is the correct author for any book with multiple unknown authors, and is acceptable for books with multiple known authors, especially if not all are known or the list is very long (over 50).

If an editor is known, however, Various is not necessary. List the name of the editor as the primary author (with role "editor"). Contributing authors' names follow it.

Note: WorldCat is an excellent res
More about Various...

$7.24 $1.99
  • Priceless: How I Went Undercover to Rescue the World's Stolen Treasures
  • Decoded
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Lost Art of Reading Nature's Signs: Use Outdoor Clues to Find Your Way, Predict the Weather, Locate Water, Track Animals-and Other Forgotten Skills
    $15.95 $1.99
  • A Man Called Intrepid: The Incredible True Story of the Master Spy Who Helped Win World War II
    $14.99 $1.99