Start by marking “Happy Horsemanship” as Want to Read:
Happy Horsemanship

Happy Horsemanship

4.51  ·  Rating details ·  92 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
For you to enjoy me (and for me to enjoy you, too) there are some important facts about me which you should know before you try to handle or ride me.

"I am a Horse.

"My name in Latin is Equus. From this name comes the word 'equine' which means something to do with a horse, and the word 'equestrian,' which means one who rides a horse."

With this, Happy Horsemanship start

Published December 21st 1998 by Touchstone (first published 1966)

To ask other readers questions about Happy Horsemanship, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Happy Horsemanship

Lea
Feb 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Without a doubt, one of the best -- possibly THE best -- book on horsemanship. Period.

There are so many things I love about this book -- written in 1966 (and surprisingly not dated after all these years), the author's tone is playful yet cultured. This was before we, as a nation, all began speaking as children. The language in this book is a joy to read, and the author illustrates the various subjects with charming line drawings.

I've ridden for many years, so I'm familiar with most of the infor
Alice Harvey
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Easily the best instructional intro I've read. Basic and entertaining enough for children, but applies to all ages. Such a cute book!
Virna
Buddy Up

I don't own a horse, don't think would have enough money to learn how to ride, but I love this book. It allows me to daydream, if I were to have a horse and able to ride it across a meadow, then I'd be in heaven! Ms. Pinch had a way in explaining the basics of horses - the illustration is funny but educational. I think this book would be a very good intro for both kids and adults who just starting to pick up riding!

no.... mud? where??
Andrew
Jan 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Happy Horsemanship was written by my Grandmother Dorothy Pinch... She passed away several years before I was born, but every time I've read this little book (and I've read it dozens of times)I feel like I have gotten to know her, and understood who she was. Her love of horses and the culture that surrounds riding shines through with simple explanations and the humorous illustration she drew.

I can recommend it any young person interesting it equestrianism and horses in general.
Ariel Lynn
May 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
I wanted to re-read this because I remembered enjoying it as a child. It's definitely meant for children. While whimsical, it can be a little confusing to understand. The author's illustrations help somewhat.
Amy
Jan 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a longstanding favourite of mine. It's a simple read, the advice is practical and the illustrations are adorable. A great starter book for a young rider, or anyone wanting to learn more about horses who wants an enjoyable read.
Alisa
Oct 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Fun and easy book on horsemanship for both kids and adults. Helps you learn the basics!
treehugger
Nov 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: horsey folk
Shelves: horses
So cute :)
Ellen
Jan 21, 2010 added it
yep. favorite book ever in third grade.
Grace
Jul 24, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, horse
A cute informative book for kids.
lisa
Nov 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Had this book when I was little and loved it. Still find it fantastic!
Michael
Dec 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
An excellent book on the basics of horse behavior, riding, and related skills, written from the horse's point of view.
Merry
Mar 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Excellent primer for getting back in the saddle - teaches you how to "read" a horse and other good basic knowledge.
Gaby