Start by marking “Horsemanship Through Life” as Want to Read:
Horsemanship Through Life

Horsemanship Through Life

A fall during a clinic on horsemanship forces the author to rekindle his passion for working with horses and their owners. By studying the Japanese martial art, aikido, Mark renews his commitment to compassionate communication with horses, using honor, integrity and dignity. This book is a must read for anyone seeking to truly connect to his or her horse.
Published October 1st 2005 by Spring Creek Press (first published September 30th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Horsemanship Through Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Horsemanship Through Life

Start your review of Horsemanship Through Life
Jen
Jul 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This was probably my favorite book by Mark Rashid. I love all of his books... and I have learned a lot about horses and relationships from everything he has written.

This one was a little different... It was less about the old man, and more about Mark's personal journey. He expressed some of his struggles and self doubts, and then the way he found his center and some peace in his life.

My favorite was the verse he wrote:
Never talk when you mean to sit.
Never sit when you mean to stand.
Never stand
Marjorie
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
There is a lot in this book. Over the years working with horses has done an about face from the "olden" days. Today the thinking is that the person handling the horse has to be rather Zen like. The horse can read any ill intent through smiles and soft words. You cannot lie to a horse. This is one man's journey starting with horses, then onto one of the marshal arts, Aikido, which helped him shape his life with horses and physically and personally.
nlagirl2AW
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another good book

I really enjoyed this book. I look forward to reading more from Mark. The tenure to Buck is heart warning
Tiffany Wilmoth
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! The insight and application available here is something that will stick with you.
Ellen Broadhurst
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Similar to his other books; stories about people in his clinics interspersed with personal experiences that link to keep insights about horsemanship. He brings the sport of Aikido into this book, talking about how learning Aikido helped with his riding and thing I like best about Rashid is that he doesn't spout a specific my-way-or-the-highway methodology. The thing I find odd about any of the Natural Horsemanship proponents is that any good, classical dressage trainer could solve most of the pr ...more
Cora Lein
May 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bei diesem Buch musste ich echt schlucken. Mark Rashid berichtet von seinen Stürzen und Verletzungen die er im Laufe der Jahre erlebte. Sein Körper baute dadurch immer mehr ab und er konnte nicht mehr, so wie er wollte. Sein Weg damit umzugehen war: Aikido. Natürlich nicht sofort, aber auf einem Lehrgang kam er mit Menschen in Kontakt, die diese japanische Kampfkunst ausführten. Kampfkunst und Reitkunst sind anscheinend nicht so weit entfernt und von daher wurde beides irgendwie zusammengetan un ...more
Mary Sindlinger
Jun 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
If there was one book that I could give to everyone it would be this one. Yes I know you are thinking but I don't care about horses. But it is more than that, it is an inspiring story about a man who is trying live life better and it is portrayed though his dealings with horses. Rashid is an inspiration for me and i admire him greatly.
Amanda
Nov 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I truly shocked myself with this one with not being completely in love with it. I think it's because a large portion of the book focused on Rashid's experience with aikido and how it relates to horsemanship. It strays away from his usual story telling format but it's definitely still worth the read.
C.J. Darlington
Sep 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
I love Mark Rashid's books, and this one is no exception. This time he intersperses his horse stories with his experiences with the martial art aikido and how it applies so well to his horsemanship. Interesting reading.
Victoria
Aug 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Good book. Wisdom for life and in working with horses.

Favorite quotes:

"keep a leg on each side and your mind in the middle".
Wilhelmina
Feb 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Like this author and his message.
Liberty
Jul 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book with great life lessons, very enjoyable even for those who do not own horses.
Heidi Nordman
Oct 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lainattu
I recommend. (Lainattu Sirpalta)
Amelia
Aug 27, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Man Who Listens to Horses
  • Side Hustle: From Idea to Income in 27 Days
  • The Art of Non-Conformity: Set Your Own Rules, Live the Life You Want, and Change the World
  • Born for This: How to Find the Work You Were Meant to Do
  • The Money Tree: A Story about Finding the Fortune in Your Own Backyard
  • Empath: A Complete Guide for Developing Your Gift and Finding Your Sense of Self
  • Ride with Your Mind Essentials: Innovative Learning Strategies for Basic Riding Skills
  • Making It Happen: The Autobiography
  • Unrelenting: The Real Story: Horses, Bright Lights and My Pursuit of Excellence
  • The Binding
  • Horseback Riding for Dummies
  • 3zekiel
  • Horseback Riding - 10 Simple Lessons That Will Transform Your Horse Riding and Training
  • The Mother
  • Shadow of the Silk Road
  • No Second Chance
  • Horseback Riding: The Complete Beginner's Guide - All You Need To Know About Horseback Riding BEFORE Your Take Lessons!
  • The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work: A Practical Guide from the Country's Foremost Relationship Expert
Mark Rashid (pronounced RASH-id) is an internationally acclaimed horse trainer known for his ability to understand the horse’s point of view and solve difficult problems with communication rather than force. He began working with horses at age ten, when he met the “old man,” who taught him to work with horses, not against them, and to listen to what the horse is trying to say. Mark’s clinics cente ...more