Start by marking “Will” as Want to Read:
Will

Will

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  598 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
From soldier to Washington insider; from a prisoner who preferred the walls of a prison rather than the betrayal of his principles; to a writer and top radio personality, G. Gordon Liddy is a hero to some, a villain to others, but always an enigma. In 1980, G. Gordon Liddy shocked, surprised, and, ultimately, delighted the world with his vivid, brutally honest, and controv ...more
Published January 1st 1980 by St. Martin's Press (NYC)

To ask other readers questions about Will, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Will

John Maberry
Aug 10, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This has to be one of the most hilarious, surprising and ultimately tragic books I have ever read. Far into the book I remained convinced that Liddy must have been writing a self-deprecating satire of his life just to spite all the liberals, Nixon-haters and antiwar protestors of the Watergate era. Who would brag about tying himself to a tree in a lightning storm to overcome his fears? Who would describe choosing his spouse in major part for her strong Teutonic stock? Who extoll many aspects of ...more
Erik Graff
May 31, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: weaklings
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: biography
I spent the summer of the major Watergate revelations in a Michigan cabin with my brother and a close friend. Having no television, we followed the news by radio and the press, purchasing copies of both Newsweek and Time weekly. It was delightful.

Of the Watergate creeps, G. Gordon Liddy was the most overtly unapologetic, Colson converting to a convenient Christianity, Dean converting to probity (his books are actually interesting, but his character was, and may still be, suspect), Agnew pleading
Kevin Cole
I know we're not supposed to like G. Gordon Liddy. Maybe if he was an idiot--as opposed to a questionable character--that would be possible. But he's not an idiot. Sorry. You may think he's a cretin, but he writes an interesting story--probably because we keep expecting him to be evil, as opposed to just plain interesting.
I don't think Liddy's a natural writer. Some portions of this memoir have the whiff of editor-pressure, like the overlong chapter of Special Agent Liddy arresting Timothy Leary
Robert Federline
This autobiography of G. Gordon Liddy is one of the best, and probably most authoritative printed works to come out of the Watergate Scandal from the Nixon administration.

If you are not a conspiracy theorist before you read this book, you will almost certainly be one by the time you finish. For those who remember Watergate, instead of learning about it in a history class in school, G. Gordon Liddy was the man who would not talk. He finally does talk, in this book, only because, in his own words,
Dell Deaton
Oct 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If there's a single-best resource for understanding "Watergate" and its key tangents, this is it.

My reading copy of Will: The Autobiography of G Gordon Liddy, appears to be a first edition from 1980. I remember having bought it in 1981, and subsequently began working my way though the major Watergate tomes by participants, individuals caught-up in the cover-up, and so-called objective media of the time.

Not one surpases this book by Mr Liddy.

In casting it as an autobiography, G Gordon Liddy had t
Arminius
Oct 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is the story of a man’s loyalty to a president who must resign due to his cover up of his overzealous staff. It is a fascinating tale that starts with G. Gordon Liddy’s childhood. He was afraid of everything. He went to bed praying until he fell asleep because he feared what would happen if he did not pray enough. He decides that this is a way that he does not want to live. So he decides to conquer all his fears by facing them. For example, he was afraid of heights and lightening so during a ...more
Dan W
Jan 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Many people harbor animosity for Mr. Liddy's political views. Say waht you like about his beliefs, but the this book is a classic tale of courage, conviction, hard work, and resolve. Mr. Liddy has a fascinating history, many authors might wwrite an entire book about only one of the aspects of this book, Mr. Liddy has lived them all. While it is hard to swallow some of his beliefs, he represents what is missing today in the U.S.A.; hard work and determination. This is an inspiring tale of what ma ...more
Larry
Apr 27, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Guilty Pleasure. Hey, John Lennon read this book too!
Checkman
Well that was interesting. I'm not sure how much of this book is factual and how much is fiction. There are parts that I believe to be pure fabrication. Such as the sections where Liddy claims to have taken on the role of the Neighborhood Regulator. I didn't buy that part. I've been a cop for over thirteen years and anyone engaging in those types of activities would get the cops called on them.....even forty years ago. Possibly some wish fulfillment there. However ,while I advise reading those s ...more
Mark
Jun 29, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
An intriguing book about a fascinating, self absorbed, self worshipping, self flagellating zealot. G. Gordon Liddy so loathed his own perceived weaknesses that he spent his life trying to obliterate any trace of them. The end result was a character so flawed and driven and emotionally bankrupt as to resemble a car crash that one cannot stop looking at. He LOVED the Nazis. He quoted them continually - even in presentations to the White House. He refused to talk because he didn't want to surrender ...more
Calvin Dean
May 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book at a department store where Liddy was holding a book signing. 33 years later, I still have the autographed copy. My favorite memory from this book: Realizing the end was near, Liddy approached the president's inner circle and told them that he would be on a particular street corner at a particular time of day if they wanted to rub him out. Liddy was willing to swallow the bitter pill for getting caught. In the early 2000's, I don't recall the exact year, I was listening to Lid ...more
Richard
Apr 27, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
Written by a man who was obsessed with being the top of the pecking order. The need for control and dominance is a symptom of metal toxicity (manganese). If Mr. Liddy had not been in law enforcement, he would have made a very serious criminal.
To be the toughest, meanest and willing to endure the most pain is typical of seriously compromised constitution. The need for an ordered, regimented and disciplined environment is essential to make this kind of personality successful.
Glenn Webb
Feb 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After reading this book in college, I really changed my mind out conservatives and folks that protect us. G. Gordon is one of my heroes. He may have broken the law, but don't judge until you read the book.
Art
Jun 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
G. Gordon Liddy has been a lawyer, FBI agent, criminal, actor, and conservative radio talk show host. In this well-written book, Liddy details his childhood, work for the FBI, the Watergate break-in, life in prison, and his general outlook on the world. An enjoyable book to read!
Thomas Lang
Aug 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
An amazing book about the power of your mind to overcome obstacles. Also happens to be the mastermind for the watergate scandals with good insider information.
Kate
Jul 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liddy is crazy, but smart (to a point) and tells a fascinating story that cries out for another fact check.
Karma
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gary Daly
Oct 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Open minded people
Recommended to Gary by: MeMyself&I
I have always heard this name mentioned in the whirlpool of 1960s and 1970s American politics. The 'Nixon' association, spies, wire tapping, cash for so called 'black ops'. This memoir of G.Gordon Liddy is fairy wrapped as tight as a bovine's anus. Did I enjoy it? To a point I did. I was curious at this man's journey from childhood to prison. His passion for confronting his fears the cowardliness he felt was like a parasite sucking his life force. So from an early age this short tough man develo ...more
John Harder
G Gordan Liddy orchestrated the Watergate and Ellsberg break-ins. Will is Liddy’s autobiography. Liddy is forthright throughout the book and he unapologetically details his role in his crimes. His admissions are not confessions, however – he is damn proud of what he did and one feels that given the opportunity he would do them again. America was in the midst of cultural rot (I concur) and any means (I do not concur) of deterring the rot justified his actions.

Will gives an interesting moral persp
Mark
Steve Higgins
Let's face it, Liddy is a nutter, that's the impression I came away with after reading this book. From choosing his wife because she came from good breeding stock to his love of everything nazi, to his offer to stand on a street corner and be shot or his consideration of whether his watergate bosses would want him to murder Howard Hunt. Well, crazy stuff! As a book, interesting read, especially the watergate section. It gives the reader the impression the republicans really thought they had a ma ...more
JP
May 18, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
You can say he was unethical and you can say he is severe, but Liddy clearly gets the job done -- whatever it is. Starting with his weakly childhood, the "G-Man" explains how he overcame his own fear and went on to a notable career with the FBI, a New York DA's office, and a major law firm. Taking all the responsibility and none of the glory as the intelligence lead of CREEP, Liddy eventually served time in prison as a result of 9 felony charges, including Contempt of Congress.
Chak
Oct 19, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If I would have rated this in 1994 when I first read it (I am guessing at dates, but it was definitely before 1995), it would have gotten 5 stars. I was in an Atlas Shrugged state of mind, and I wasn't very mature yet. Still, Liddy holds a special place in my heart for being completely committed to being insane in the most practical way possible. Liddy is a lot more likable than you would think.
Alex
Sep 25, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was interesting up to the Watergate break in, then got bogged down and I lost interest. Liddy is a real American villain, right wing political hard man for the Nixon administration who thought nothing of breaking the law if the end justified the means. I wouldn't be surprised if he was the inspiration for the character The Comedian in the Watchmen graphic novel. Or some of James Ellroy's creations.
James Ryssman
Aug 07, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
Adolescent machismo fantasy rantings of a self-absorbed megalomaniac. Points given for providing a different perspective, but like listening to a tweeny talking about a subject with more emphasis than is appropriate takes a great deal of patience. Also remarkable that even knuckle-draggers can write in complete sentences.
Andrew Scholes
If you look in the dictionary under Egomaniac, you will see a picture of G. Gordon Liddy. I understand autobiographies are filled with what the author did and what he thinks of himself, but, really? Liddy is definitely over the top in the opinion of himself. I need to look at some of the text in the Macgruder autobiography to remember what he says of Liddy and of GEMSTONE.
Andrew Culyer
I don't like doing negative reviews, but....... this was just boring, spoiled by too much detail and not enough story.

He's obviously an impressive man, been through a lot... I think his story would have been better off told as a narrative rather than 'here's the facts'.

Please don't shoot me for this... am allowed to not like books.
Bruce
Aug 18, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An obviously intelligent and accomplished person. Yet his penchant for self mutilation to prove his "will" (sometimes only to himself)and willingness to murder others if given what he considers a valid order point to someone mentally unhinged. The best part of the book is his narration of Watergate events, his prison exploits, not so much.
Cordell
Jul 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
G Gordon Liddy is a colorful part of american histroy and this book is as candid as an author gets about himself. Very interesting comments on watergate (Much of which has now been verified with revelations from court cases etc since the printing of Will) the FBI, the Army and the Washington DC Jail system. I liked it a lot and I think I learned a lot as well.
MisterFweem
Aug 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The guy is nuts. Absolutely nuts. But compelling nuts. The portion of the book where he describes his time in jail? Priceless. Oozing with machismo, which is what you'd expect. More here. http://www.misterfweem.blogspot.com/2...
  • The Ends of Power
  • The Great Chain of Being: A Study of the History of an Idea
  • Pocket Dictionary of Signing, Revised and Expanded
  • The Portable Mark Twain
  • This Quiet Dust: And Other Writings
  • Heart of Ice (Nancy Drew: Files, #103)
  • A World Transformed
  • The Singer of Tales
  • It's Here Now (Are You?)
  • Supreme Injustice
  • The Power Elite
  • Master Your Memory: More Inspiring Ways To Increase The Power Of Your Memory, Focus And Creativity
Rightwing american radio talk show host and actor.

Liddy is considered to be one of the masterminds of what was later exposed as the watergate scandal. Liddy was sentenced 20 years in prison. But was pardonned by president Jim Carter after four and a half years.

After his time in prison Liddy became an rightwing radio talk show host, actor and political strategist. In 1980 he wrote his autobiograph
More about G. Gordon Liddy...