Jump to ratings and reviews

Southern Comfort #2

Home Sweet Home

“It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single woman in possession of a ramshackle house must be in want of a handyman.”

Just because English professor Grace Williams is a woman whose “new” house is crumbling around her doesn’t mean she needs an arrogant, condescending man’s help, even if he does look gorgeous in faded jeans and a tool belt. What she needs is a working bathroom, not a ridiculous crush.

Jake Burdette has no use for the university types who stumble around Willow Springs, with their noses in the air whenever they’re not in a book. He may not be a scholar, but he’s proud of the hard, honest work he does—even if he would appreciate a little more of it. He doesn’t need Grace’s pity, even if he does wish she wasn’t so adorably sexy.

They’re all wrong for each other. But Grace’s troublesome house seems to feel differently…

219 pages, Kindle Edition

First published January 1, 2014

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Sarah Title

13 books136 followers
Sarah Title has worked as a barista, a secretary, a furniture painter, and once managed a team of giant walking beans. She currently leads a much more normal life as a librarian in West Virginia. Kentucky Home is her first novel.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
9 (4%)
1 star
2 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 34 reviews
Profile Image for Jane Stewart.
2,462 reviews831 followers
April 6, 2016
3 ½ stars. I enjoyed it - the story and the characters.

I chuckled at the way the author had the “house” be a character with intentions and actions.

I wish the author came up with a different reason for Grace to NOT want to fall in love. That went on for too long and it didn’t make sense to me, but I enjoyed everything else.

Jake and Grace do not like each other. After a while they admire each other’s bodies, but there is no positive communication. Then all of a sudden they go to the bedroom. I wish the author showed more transition from not-like to sex. After that, they have frequent sex. Two sex scenes are shown, but the rest are referred to - no details. It’s a friends with benefits relationship.

DATA:
Narrative mode: 3rd person. Story length: 205 pages. Swearing language: religious swear words but rarely used. Sexual language: none to mild. Number of specific sex scenes: 2. Setting: current day Willow Springs, Kentucky. Copyright: 2014. Genre: contemporary romance with a touch of fantasy.
Profile Image for Vivian.
Author 2 books137 followers
April 2, 2014
Grace Williams is not your typical English professor. She has a relatively good sense of humor, enjoys teaching, loves to read, and is rather excited about moving from California to Kentucky. This move puts her closer to her only surviving family members: her sister, brother-in-law, and adorable niece. The only problems are she left California after a disastrous love affair and has vowed not to get close to a man emotionally. Why is this a problem? Well her house, the "Spinster House" likes matchmaking and has set its sight on putting Grace together with the local handyman, Jake Burdette.

Jake Burdette is not your typical handyman. He was wrangled into helping his sister, a local realtor. He's also an accomplished contractor and has made a wonderful living flipping houses. Yes he lives at his sister's house (mind you in the garage apartment), but he's waiting for the right house to speak to him as "home sweet home" before he moves out.

Appearances can be deceiving. Jake has decided that Grace is a snob and thinks she's too good for the "normal" folk in Willow Springs. It doesn't matter that he's attracted to her physically or that they have a wonderful time when they're together. Grace has judged Jake for being somewhat of a loafer since he lives in his sister's garage and doesn't seem to have a full-time job. Yes she's attracted to him because he is "hot, hot, hot," but she simply isn't looking for a serious relationship. To say that Jake and Grace are filled with a bit of "pride" and "prejudice" toward one another is somewhat of an understatement.

Ms. Title has crafted a wonderfully romantic, often humorous tale of two people that are working at cross-purposes due to preconceived ideas and prejudices. I found Home Sweet Home to be a nice homage to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice and a delightful read (and no I'm not just saying that because I know the author!). Both Grace and Jake are flawed and delightful because they are so very realistic as a result of their flaws. They both have issues going back to their childhood relating to love, commitment, and marriage. Although you know this is going to be a "happy-ever-after" story, it was a lot of fun getting from the beginning to the end and reading about all of the house's machinations to get these two lovebirds together. If you enjoy romance mixed with humor then look no further, Home Sweet Home is just the story you've been waiting to read.
Profile Image for Anna's Herding Cats.
1,274 reviews307 followers
August 11, 2018

Reviewed for herding cats & burning soup.
Amazon: https://amzn.to/2lY4BnI

Two stubborn individuals and a house determined to get them together. Home Sweet Home was entertaining, that's for sure.

The Gist: Grace bought an older house and it's...got some issues. So her realtor offers up her younger brother as a helping hand. These two, though, whew they are not fans of one another despite the house's best attempts at bringing them together.

Grace and Jake. ::snort:: These two were hella stubborn. Attracted to each other but determined not to fall in love or, heck, even in like with each other. He's a townie (and flips houses), she's a professor at the local university. I liked them. They're both lively and interesting.

And they maybe both have chips on their shoulders thinking the other doesn't think they're good enough for them. Or are too good for them. Took them a while to get over themselves and stop having knee jerk reactions to everything the other said. But it was kind of fun watching them resist so dang hard and fall anyways. Things do get a good bit steamy, too.

I liked the house, too. It's an older one that has a mind of it's own (literally) and a plan in place for settling down if only her two chosen people would get on board and start cooperating and fall in love. It was a quirky addition but I loved it.

All in all, Home Sweet Home a fun read. Nice characters, wonderful setting, some curious issues. Title has won me over!

Profile Image for Baca Buku.
530 reviews2 followers
September 17, 2021
I became a fan of Sarah Title after reading her Librarians in Love series (three books beginning with The Undateable). I liked the writing and the stories.

I thought I would get more of the same in Home Sweet Home. While the writing is good, I didn't find the story very interesting. And the characters are quite blah, a little cliché. After finishing the book, I realised it was written before the Librarians series. Obviously, the writer got better. It's a pity there hasn't been anything in a while.

339 reviews
March 24, 2020
Grace is new in town and her house needs some work. Jake dislikes Grace based on her employment as a professor. He listens to his dad's voice that says the professors all think they are superior to their class of working men.

Grace is afraid to let herself love someone because she dated a professor at her previous job who decided to reconcile with his wife and her parents both had unexpected deaths within days of each other.

I feel like the complex emotions could have been better explored but the story was cute and quirky.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Penny Leidecker.
2,404 reviews25 followers
May 24, 2019
Grace moves to Willow Springs for a fresh start. Jake doesn’t care for Pembroke people and that’s what Grace is, since she took a job there. Grace has bought the “Spinster House” and Mary Beth, Jake’s sister, volunteers him to help Grace with any repairs she needs. The house does what it can to bring them together, but will it succeed or is it not meant to be? Grab your copy and see what happens.
Profile Image for Alissa.
482 reviews39 followers
June 13, 2018
Eh. It was at least 2.5 stars. I liked the characters well enough. There was a lot of time just skipped over. There were also the random few paragraphs from the house's perspective--that was just a bit weird. It was fine.
Profile Image for Willow Brook.
389 reviews28 followers
July 22, 2017
I really enjoy this author's humor, dialogue and imperfect but likeable characters.
Profile Image for Amanda.
2,147 reviews20 followers
July 27, 2017
A cute book! Love Sarah Title's sense of humor and her charming small town. I found the house being a character to be a little grating, but i like the heroine and hero.
Profile Image for Pam Jackson-gorsline.
653 reviews2 followers
May 15, 2019
Home

This was a fun story with many twists and turns. The characters were complex and entertaining. I enjoy reading this and books.
433 reviews
November 23, 2019
Grace buys a house, People say it's the spinster house. But when she meets up with Jake the hot handy man things change. A great read steamy. On to #2
Profile Image for Judy Collins.
2,469 reviews347 followers
April 3, 2014
As a sucker for old historic homes and bed and breakfast inns, when I find both, a new author and a stunning cover with one of my two passions – I go for it!

Both the new found author and the old charming Victorian (known as the Spinster House), did not disappoint. Mix in some historic charm, literature from Jane Austen, a book worm Grace (the English professor), fiasco of remodeling, and some flirty romance with a hunky carpenter, Jake– bingo, a winner.

When Grace buys her first dream house (in dire need of repair), agreed to let her sister (Jane) drive the U-Haul from northern California to Willow Springs, Kentucky, she had no clue or care about meeting a man, especially one like Jake. She has two things in mind – her new home and work.

Handsome Jake, of course has no interest in Grace, due to her stuffy literary profession, until his realtor sister Mary Beth needs his help with a few things at the house. Jake’s business is in flipping houses, updating them and then selling to make a profit while he lives in an apartment over his sister’s garage, and helps pay the mortgage for her sister and husband, Todd. Jake thinks Grace will have her nose in the air, feeling smarter and better than he.

Grace has taken a job at Pembroke to begin the spinster life she desires, with no more distractions or lies from men. What she did not count on was his this guy’s hotness.

Two opposites, (Grace uptight scholar professor type) and Jake (sexy carpenter) with a fun and flirty banter of dialogue sending sparks flying. Of course the old Victorian has a mind of its own trying to put people together in this small town full of colorful crazy characters.

The Spinster House in Willow Springs belonged to a logging heiress (eccentric millionaire), and then left with her new husband before she could move into it. It was scandalous because she built it on one of the out of the way streets so people assumed she was up to no good. A dilapidated brothel-looking house on the outskirts of town with stories of its own.

Fans of Sherryl Woods, Nora Roberts, Susan Mallery, Mariah Stewart, or Debbie Macomber would enjoy Home Sweet Home, as a sweet romantic contemporary read good for a day on the beach, or curled up on a summer day on a porch swing, while escaping to the world of Willow Springs.

Looking forward to reading Kentucky Home (Southern Comfort #1), as enjoyed the author's contemporary writing style and romantic flair. http://judithdcollins.booklikes.com/p...

A special thanks to Kensington Books/eKensington and NetGalley, for a complimentary ARC, in exchange for an unbiased and honest review.

Profile Image for Kathy .
3,299 reviews
April 3, 2014
4.5 stars.

Home Sweet Home by Sarah Title is an adorable, magical romance between two stubborn people who are fine with a no strings fling, but love? No way! With a little help from a very unlikely source, Grace Williams and Jake Burdette soon discover that love often sneaks in when it is least expected.

In need of a new beginning after a failed romance, English professor Grace Williams' move from CA to Kentucky is full of surprises. Her new house is in desperate need of a little TLC but it is her unexpected attraction to Jake Burdette that really catches her off guard. Jake has a giant chip on his shoulder when it comes to the university where Grace will be teaching, but he is drawn to Grace and finds it virtually impossible to resist his desire for her. The two are thrown together when Grace's house repairs exceed her limited abilities and they soon decide to give in to their passion. But when lust turns to love, their relationship is soon on very shaky ground.

Grace and Jake are wonderfully developed and appealing protagonists. They each have successful careers and, for the most part, they are happy with their lives. Both of them are carrying a few emotional scars from their respective childhoods and neither of them is looking for love. Of the two, Grace has the most baggage to deal with, and she is quick to avoid emotional entanglements. Jake is the first to resolve his issues but Grace's hang-ups come into play when it comes to taking their relationship to the next level.

Grace and Jake's interactions are laced with humor and their banter is delightfully witty. Their friendship flourishes once they give in to their passion and their emotional connection grows deeper over the passing months. Their love scenes are steamy but not too graphic. There is a bit of fanciful history attached to Grace's new home and the house itself is integral to bringing Grace and Jake together.

A charming romance with a touch of whimsy, Home Sweet Home is a wonderful addition to Sarah Title's Southern Comfort series. An overall fun, angst-free read that is sure to be a big hit with anyone who enjoys contemporary romances.

Although Home Sweet Home is the second novel in the series, it can be read as a standalone story.
Profile Image for Aimee.
451 reviews47 followers
August 5, 2016
This was a cute little romance story. It was a fast read, I finished it in two days easily. It is set in a small town where Grace moves to begin a new life for herself. As soon as she gets to her new house she meets Jake and she is attracted to him immediately. I loved the parts of the story where we read about Grace lusting over Jake in her head. She keeps telling herself that she doesn't want to fall in love with anyone, but she just cannot help wanting to spend time with Jake.

Jake is not looking for love either, but finds himself thinking about Grace more and more. At first he thinks she is a total snob and too smart for him, but he soon begins to realize there is way more to Grace than being a scholar. The fact that Grace is a Jane Austen expert and there are a few references to Jane Austen's books was an added bonus!

The house itself also plays a part in this story. Just a little bit of magical realism involving the house trying to bring Jake and Grace together really added to the fun of this book. If you are looking for a light, fun romance I think you would really enjoy this book.
Profile Image for Heather andrews.
9,520 reviews148 followers
February 11, 2014
Grace gets distracted easily, and I can't blame her, "although, standing in front of her, dripping and seething, he looked pretty damn manly. Jake continued to stare, and she continued to will her knees not to buckle. Then he reached down and tore his shirt over his head and she was pretty sure she was going to die. I hate this guy, she reminded herself as she counted...yup, that's a six-pack." Jake he has some moves on him, " I changed your mind, huh?" He nudged his hips against her, just so she could feel how much he appreciated her decision to swear back on to men." Jake knows he's good looking, Grace knows he's good looking, Jake likes to tease her about it, "he gave her that crooked grin, even sexier when it was tinged with sleepiness. "Are you ogling my naked body?" He's such a playful guy when he's at ease you can't help but love him. "he smiled at her. "I'm glad. Now make me a hot chocolate, woman." He smacked her on the rear and stalked out to the living room." I loved reading this book, I loved the characters and the story.
Profile Image for Kris - My Novelesque Life.
4,626 reviews189 followers
July 4, 2014
3 STARS

(I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review).

English professor, Grace Williams has bought an old house with character in small town Kentucky. Her real estate agent's brother, Jake has been designated to help her fix any problems that come with an old house. As soon as the two meet sparks fly but neither wants to admit that they are attracted to one another. Being in a small town they keep running into one another and the house itself seems to want them together....Will the two finally admit their feelings for one another?

As many of you know I read novels of series in order or wait till I can get them all. I thought Home Sweet Home was the second novel but there was another book in between (Kentucky Christmas). As I promised to read these novels for NetGalley and would not pick them up on my own I went ahead and read book three without reading book two.
Profile Image for Melinda.
1,838 reviews16 followers
August 3, 2016
More reviews at www.melenasreviews.com
Past reviews at http://melenasreviews.wordpress.com/

I love a sweet romance but felt this one should have been better. I loved how Jake is an average man trying to make ends meet and better himself. Now Grace to me sounded snobbish. I mean she didn’t seem the type at all to me to feel any romance. She seemed to straight-laced and proper. I wanted for one moment to see her be impulsive let loose. Jake was definitely the man to do it yet felt in this book there was no zing between them. Like the attraction was forced and I so wanted more.
Profile Image for Dita.
38 reviews
January 17, 2016
This is interesting,I love opposite attract story. With Grace being a prim proper lit professor who doesn't believe in love inspite of teaching Jane Austin (whott??) and Jake,a grouchy handyman/construction turned home flipper/architecture expert who was a trouble maker, I like their hate-you but wanna-kiss you interaction.

And a lil' intervention from the spinster house's spirit is kinda cute too...
Profile Image for Shannan.
380 reviews16 followers
March 18, 2014
This was a really cute book. I love a little bit of unrealized magic in books - love it! So this was right up my ally. I liked the characters, the house -which I want to live in, the romance, love the small town, and story line.
If you want an easy, fun read on a Saturday afternoon this would be a fab book!!
Profile Image for Marisa .
335 reviews
March 26, 2014
What a lovely Contemporary Romance book by an author who is/was new to me. What a thrill to find an author who writes romance well! Perfect for your beach bag. It made me feed my reader with her first book for Spring Break but they are not part of a series.

Here is the full review...
Profile Image for Lyn .
329 reviews12 followers
September 4, 2014
Funny & Fast
What a fun book. A little bit of spice and a lot of laughs will make you want to sit down and escape life! Well written and sweet. There honestly are laugh-out-loud spots and many tender moments. Some history thrown into the mix as well! Enjoy! NetGalley and Kensington Books provided an advanced review copy of this book in exchange for an honest review!
Profile Image for Darlene .
337 reviews18 followers
January 7, 2015
3.85
I love stories about old houses and fixing them up so this caught my eye with the title and then the cover and since I'm from Kentucky I was hooked. I was not disappointed. Right now I'm just wanting to read lighthearted love stories that make me happy and this fit the bill. Never thought I would enjoy romance but boy was I wrong!!!
Profile Image for Amanda.
46 reviews1 follower
February 9, 2014
ARC from NETGALLEY

This was a fantastic book, I couldn't put it down until it was done. I loved the story line and the main characters. It's more realistic then most romance books these days. I can't wait until I can read another book from this author.
Profile Image for Roz ~ My Written Romance.
408 reviews22 followers
September 4, 2014
This was a really fun, sweet read. I enjoyed the chemistry between Grace and Jake, although I didn't always get the reasons why they couldn't be together.

The slight magical lilt to the book with the whole house thing was well done, and it was altogether an enjoyable read.
Profile Image for Bonnie.
104 reviews
April 9, 2014
First time reading this author and I loved this story. Very cute, sweet romance. Loved the magical aspect to it. Very enjoyable!
Profile Image for Claudia.
326 reviews19 followers
April 17, 2014
Enjoyed this one a lot! I know this sounds stupid because it's a romance book and all but it was soooo romantic! And I loved the Jane Austen references.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 34 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.