Start by marking “Study Bible: NIV” as Want to Read:
Study Bible: NIV

Study Bible: NIV

- The number one study Bible available for in-depth study - Over 20,000 in-text study notes provide unparalleled scholarship and insight - In-text maps, charts, diagrams, and illustrations facilitate study - Over 5 million sold!
2198 pages
Published October 1st 2002 by Zondervan Publishing House (first published June 1st 1985)

Start your review of Study Bible: NIV
Cassie
May 20, 2009 is currently reading it
Always "still reading".... :)
K.C. Rivers
Dec 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Phew, it took a year, but I finally finished the entire Bible. Back in January, I decided to take the plunge and do something that I'd always wanted to - a reading challenge through the year to finish the whole Bible. And I must say, I'm looking at it in ways that I never had before. It's amazing to see the connections throughout the whole thing, despite the fact that there were forty different authors (from various generations) writing under God's influence. To see references to Jesus Christ al ...more
Ben Stutzman
Jun 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Malcolm
Jan 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not just giving this 5 stars because it's the Holy Word of God (which it is, and thus Perfect) -- but this particular version is quite wonderful for the intellectual seeking to read the Bible without needing battle garb.

The preface outlines, quite clearly, how the entire translation was pursued, how every nuance, confusion, and controversy is clearly detailed and indicated in the footnotes.

There is a deep concordance, and the footnotes on each page is at least 30% of the page. It's a wonderf
Sergio
Feb 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
John 5:39
You study the Scriptures diligently because you think that in them you have eternal life. These are the very Scriptures that testify about me,
(Jesus said).
B.J. Richardson
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is not a review of the Bible. After all, what right can I possibly have to review the Bible? No, the way this really works is that I let the Bible review me. How deeply am I hiding it in my heart? How closely am I following its precepts? Unfortunately, there is no way that I could rate myself anywhere close to 5 stars. Yes, I am growing, but I've still got a long ways to go.

This is now my 65th time reading the Bible through cover to cover. Each time I find that there is more to learn. More
Courtney | What Courtney Reads
This was a goal that I have never finished, but this was the year! It was daunting, but I did it! If you’ve never read through the entire bible, I challenge you to! Find a bible reading challenge that works for you and stick to it! I promise you won’t ever regret it.
Jeanann
Jul 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: top-shelf
B-asic I-nstructions B-efore L-eaving E-arth

"The Bible contains the mind of God, the state of man, the way of salvation, the doom of sinners, and the happiness of believers. Its doctrines are holy, its precepts are binding, its histories are true, and its decisions are unchangeable. Read it to be wise, believe it to be safe, and practice it to be holy. It contains light to direct you, food to support you, and comfort to cheer you. It is a traveler's map, the pilgrim's staff, the pilot's compass,
Laurel Hicks
Jan 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I read through the Old Testament in this version, but for the New I went fleeing back to King James. I very much enjoyed reading all of the Revelation on Christmas Day in the morning.
Steven
Aug 31, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone
OK, I know what you're thinking, but really, I am ordained as a man of the cloth, and as a neo-pagan universalist, I must pursue the broadest understanding of the human spirtual dynamic as is possible.

The NIV Zondervan edition is interesting from a myriad of perspectives, not the least of which is the translation to contemporary prose, eliminating all the romantic, colorful English that has been a hallmark for this tome for the last several centuries. If I ever questioned the legitimacy of the t
Katherine Layne
Jun 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone and everyone.
GREATEST BOOK EVER! This book is filled with all sorts of stories about God's AWSOME LOVE for us and how we should strive to live this life that God has given us. I decided one day that I should try to read the Bible straight through from cover to cover, to read and understand it better. When you read it straight through, so many thing make so much more sense than they did before. For instance, there are many references in the New Testament that are from the Old Testament; and when you have read ...more
Wayne Zill
May 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Wayne by: waynezill@gmail.com
What can you say! The New International Version is by far the easiest to read. And of course, this is the "Greatest Story Ever Told" ....
Karen
Mar 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful translation!!
Steven
Mar 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone
Shelves: classics
As far as Bible's go, I would say that this one would have to be my personal favorite. It is an excellent translation and has many great study notes. When they came out with the NIV in the 1980's, I was amazed at how much better I could understand it compared to the KJV that I was forced to read as a child.

In general, the Bible is kind of preachy and the Old Testament has a lot of laws... like not shaving the sides of your head or getting tattoos (boy have I messed up.) There is a lot of bloodsh
Kurt
Jul 23, 2011 rated it liked it
I'm not basing my analysis of this book on the Bible itself. I think the NIV is a great translation, conversational enough without really sacrificing precision of thought. I just don't think this study Bible is well-constructed.

The most glaring problem is the way text notes are organized. I read a study Bible recently that used letters for cross-referencing and numbers for footnotes, so it was very easy to find exactly what the editors intended to highlight. This Bible, though, uses letters for
Jayme
Jan 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
In the interest of full disclosure. I am a Christian male and church goer so there really isn't anyway that I would have given this less than five stars.

I have always wanted to read the Bible from cover to cover as long as I can remember. January of 2012 I decided that it would be my New Years resolution and that I would read it. Before, the furthest I made it was to Exodus. Thanks to a daily schedule I found online, I was able to read a little bit each day and it went by pretty easily. I actua
Ron
June 24, 2018. Finished fourth cover-to-cover reading of the Bible, this time the NIVersion. This time took about eighteen months.

While I don’t recommend that for anyone--certainly not some arbitrary read-it-in-a-year challenge, it’s good to read straight through from Genesis to Revelation once in a lifetime. It reveals the sweep and integrity of the whole text, written over centuries by dozens of authors.

Notes from third reading: This was the second version of the Bible I read all the way thro
Sep 01, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I am SO VERY EXCITED to be able to move this book to my "read" shelf. It took me 4 years and 1 month, but I did it, I read every word. As a believer I think it's important to read the entire Bible, but I never thought I'd be able to get through it.

I like the NIV because it's what I'm familar with, what we read in church, and my copy has my years of notes in it. I appreciated the study notes, so when I was confused about something in the passage, I was able to look to the bottom of the page for s
Ron
I received this NIV Study Bible as a gift from Harley and Barbara Parsons (my parents-in-law) in 1986. I have read it in its entirety twice. I have probably read the New Testament dozens of times. This is the Bible I use for every day reading and reference. After almost thrity years it's pretty worn.

I like the language of the NIV. While other versions may make better claims to literal accuracy, the NIV is readable. The not footnotes of this version identify and discuss the Hebrew and Greek behin
CoolBreeze1978
Sep 18, 2009 rated it did not like it
RE-REVIEW

Basically this is a relatively new translation of a two thousand year (+) old text that some people believe is a foundation for morality, government, society, personal experience, and an authority over the traditions of science, thought, and literature. Why? Because it says so. End of question. Next...
Frances Alvarado
Jan 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Helps for anything. :) even if you want to know what to wear although I don't recommend the styles or fashion women used in those times. :) LOVE THIS BOOK, LOVE GOD, he'll love you back. just reading excerpts of this will help you day to day. specially this one since it has a study and will give you contextual information right before each book. :) - it has helped me, hope it helps you too :)
Marissa
Mar 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Keep this with me at all times. Had to add it to my booklist. =)

"Sanctify them by the truth, your WORD is truth." John 17:17
Shawna
Nov 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I learn a lot from this book, every time I read it!
Tamara
Sep 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Will read it again, and again, and again until I die. Because it's the greatest story ever told.
Iain
Aug 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lutheran
Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod banned the 2011+ NIV study bible so I bought this old school version.
Linda
Jan 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I've ever read and continue to read. I have several versions of bibles that have made a difference in my life but this is THE best study bible.
Andy Huette
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The updated NIV Study Bible (2011 edition, not available on Goodreads), has a really nice layout, a lot of great notes, pictures, and cross-references, and is every bit as good as the ESV Study Bible as a reference tool. The difference lies in translation philosophy, and I really enjoyed reading through the easier-to-read NIV language this year using the Tabletalk Bible Reading below (link: https://s3.amazonaws.com/ligonier-pub...). The Tabletalk plan was nice in that it offered a day each week ...more
PookieMonster
💯Been reading the Bible straight through, throughout the year. This is definitely my favorite Bible version.
Oh, and I have a new favorite book of the Bible. Romans!💖

Just as a note any NIV published after 1995 is a little dodgy. They change the wording and add different interpretations.

🎉✨Happy New Year Everybody!🎉✨
Parker Robb
Used this Bible for probably a decade in middle school, high school and college before it fell apart. The NIV translation takes more liberties than I would prefer, and the notes in this study Bible are mediocre.
Vicki
Not my favorite translation.
Stand Firm : "It is not good for man to be alone." 4 2 Jun 23, 2015 02:43PM
Stand Firm : Resurrection Bodies for Believers and Non-Believers 4 2 Jun 22, 2015 11:02AM

• The New Strong's Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible
  • 90 Minutes in Heaven: A True Story of Death and Life
  • Experiencing God: Knowing and Doing the Will of God, Workbook
  • Courageous
  • Battlefield Of The Mind: Winning The Battle In Your Mind
  • The Purpose Driven Life: What on Earth Am I Here for?
  • Systematic Theology: An Introduction to Biblical Doctrine
  • The Message: The Bible in Contemporary Language
  • Foxe's Book of Martyrs
  • Jesus Calling: Enjoying Peace in His Presence
  • The Constitution of the United States with Index and The Declaration of Independence
  • Bad Girls of the Bible: And What We Can Learn from Them
  • Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible
Books can be attributed to "Anonymous" for several reasons:

* They are officially published under that name
* They are traditional stories not attributed to a specific author
* They are religious texts not generally attributed to a specific author

Books whose authorship is merely uncertain should be attributed to Unknown.

News & Interviews

“There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven:
a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot,
a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build,
a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance,
a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain,
a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,
a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak,
a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace.

(Ecclesiastes 3:1-8, NIV)”
878 likes
“43All the prophets testify about him† that everyone† who believes† in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name.”†” 2 likes