Start by marking “Fairy, Texas (Fairy, Texas, #1)” as Want to Read:
Fairy, Texas (Fairy, Texas, #1)

Fairy, Texas

(Fairy, Texas #1)

Fairy, Texas. A small town like any other.

Laney Harris didn't want to live there. When her mother remarried and moved them to a town where a date meant hanging out at the Sonic, Laney figured that "boring" would have a whole new meaning. A new stepsister who despised her and a high school where she was the only topic of gossip were bad enough. But when she met the school
Published February 6th 2014 by Solstice Shadows Publishing (first published February 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Fairy, Texas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fairy, Texas

Start your review of Fairy, Texas (Fairy, Texas, #1)
Carol [Goodreads Addict]
 photo Margo_collins_zpsdc87aaa5.jpg

Fairy, Texas is book one in the Fairy, Texas series by Margo Bond Collins. This is my third book by Margo. Did I love them all…YES!!! Could I choose a favorite…NO!!! This book in particular, in my opinion, is a bit more on the dark side, but with some sweet moments as well. And a word of warning, when you sit down to start it, make sure you are comfortable, because you won’t be getting back up until you read the whole book. You won’t be able to put it down. And have something nearby to grip
Julie
Apr 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
To be honest this is not a genre that I would have chosen to read being YA and mystical. However, I am very glad that I was offered the chance to review this book.

The writing style just flows and the plot keeps the page turning. There are some wonderful characters in the form of Laney, who is feisty, funny and experiencing many of the problems that teenagers face the world over, especially when faced with relocating to a new town and a step -father and step -sister to contend with. The problems
Francene Stanley
Jun 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Bearing in mind that this is a fantasy, where anything can happen, I enjoyed the novel. Another incredible plot from Margo Bond Collins. Her superb writing takes you into high-school life through Laney's eyes. I felt quite young as I became involved in her life. The dreaded move to another town brings with it a hateful step-sister. Mysterious events become positively weird. More is bubbling beneath the surface than she first realizes in the backwater town. Black wings appear on the back of a ...more
Intisar Khanani
Jun 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Laney is forced to relocate from her hometown of Atlanta to small-town Texas when her mother marries an old high school sweetheart. Laney's home situation is stereotypically lacking, with dysfunctional relationships everywhere--from a step-father who believes in authority and discipline to a step-sister who seems to hate her on principle, to a caring (?) though essentially absent mother. (Yep, this is a pet peeve of mine. I found these secondary characters relatively flat, but they were also ...more
Becs
Mar 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was so excited when I was given the opportunity through PRUFreads to review for Margo again. I loved Waking Up Dead, I knew that I'd enjoy her newest book.

Everything begins when Laney has to move to Fairy, Texas when her mother marries her old high school boyfriend. Laney thinks Fairy, Texas is a boring old small town with nothing better to do other than go to the local Sonic drive-in. Laney soon gets thrown into the middle of the small towns big secret after literally tripping over a dead
Catherine Siemann
Apr 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If I were to say this book is a bit like Twilight, only actually good, you might feel free to scoff -- either you like Twilight, in which case you would find the statement blasphemous, or you don't, in which case I need to convince you that's not a backhanded compliment.

I certainly don't mean that the plot is similar, just the main character's situation. Laney moves with her mom from Atlanta to a small town in Texas, when her mom remarries, to an old high school sweetheart. As the new girl in
Andi
Jul 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
Well, this was a pleasant surprise!

Laney moves to her mom's hometown of Fairy, TX, when she marries her high school sweetheart. When she's not contending with her hateful stepsister or strange goings on in the town, Laney is having to deal with two suitors. But this isn't your typical triangle, and for that, I gratefully thank the author.

The town's mysteries slowly unfold, holding my attention for the entire ride. This was a fun, fast read, and I'm looking forward to reading more from this
Angela Fiducia
Mar 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book from beginning to hand. I could not put it down. I read it in 2 days. She is a great writer. The magical beings for imagination were made unique. I hope she will make a sequel to it.
Pauline Creeden
Jan 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A fun read that was wholly original. I loved it and would absolutely read a sequel :)
Cindy
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Into it

I wasn't sure I would be all that into this story since it has a high school setting, but wow. I couldn't put this one down. So much mystery from a normal southern girl. Then the family drama on top of all the paranormal kept me connected the whole way through. Feel horrible for Laney though she takes everything amazing for a teen. The whole triangle thing was a bit mature but very compelling, and I'm so glad that was all fake.
Melanie Marsh
Feb 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I’m not going to lie. This book caught me a little bit by surprise. I read Collins’s book “Waking Up Dead” and absolutely loved it. Why I was surprised is because I’m not a huge fan of fairies. I chose to review it because I loved Waking Up Dead, so I thought I would take a chance on this book and hope for the best. Fairy, TX was NOT your typical fairy book! The only thing this book had in common with the typical fairy book is the word “fairy”.

Laney’s mother decides to marry a guy she knew from
D.E.
Apr 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
When I first got the chance to review Fairy, Texas, I declined. Oh no, I thought, another fantasy fiction novel. But the more fantasy fiction I read, the more I discover that there are some really great stories out there. So when the second chance to review Fairy, Texas came around, I thought Why not? I’m glad I gave it a chance.

Fairy, Texas is the story of Laney Harris moving from Atlanta to Texas because her mom remarried her high school sweetheart. Laney is hating Texas. Her new stepsister is
Kyra Dunst
Feb 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed Waking Up Dead by Collins, so when I was given the opportunity to review this book, I couldn’t wait. Margo has such a snarky sense of humor that makes reading her stories a truly wonderful experience. I was barely able to get through a chapter without laughing out loud. As far as the story goes, Laney says it best:

‘When I said it out loud, it almost sounded funny. It also sounded a little bit like a word problem: Josh and Mason both want Laney to be their own personal yaw- taw. Mr.
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
It is hard to categorize this book. It was left unclear about the nature of the paranormal creatures in this story. The People do not even know what their nature is.

Laney has moved to a small town in Texas named Fairy. Her mother has recently married and they moved to her step-father's ranch. Laney is miserable. It is hard to be a new girl, it's harder when you are in a small town and your new step-sister despises you.

Life takes on a weird element when she becomes the target of two boys. They
K.C. Sprayberry
Apr 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
High school is hard enough, but for Laney, her high school days have changed drastically. She's from metropolitan Atlanta, a modern city filled with everything she loves, friends, activities, her mom. Then her mom marries her old boyfriend from years back. Goodbye modern city. Hello, a small Texas town in the middle of nowhere that goes by the name of Fairy. And that's not the only weirdness about this town. Will Laney figure out how to stop the craziness before it destroys her?
Margo Bond
Miriam
Apr 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
***Received from Fabulosity Reads for an honest review***

I wasn’t expecting this. A story about a small town, sure. A story about a young girl’s new life there, absolutely. But fairies that seemed more like demons and an evilness that seemed to have a life of its own? Um, not really.

Though told in first person, Laney’s POV is remarkably refreshing. Sarcastic and witty without going overboard. Smart and insightful without being obnoxious. She’s more observant than I think her peers think she is,
Ginger
Apr 02, 2014 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book more than I thought I would, honestly the summary sounded like it had a little too much high school drama for my taste.
I ended up really enjoying Laney and her love triangle. She is sassy and had a fighting spirit.

I wanted to (still want to) slap her step-sister.

There were a lot of twists and turns, many of them were very predictable. I liked the characters, the Jock, the mysterious hottie with the glowing eyes, the demonic teachers, the circle of friends and of course the
Claire
Apr 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
I picked up this book because I do quite like the idea of fairies in the modern day. I started to read on the Tuesday and finished by Friday, so engrossed was I in the flow of the text.

This is well written and flows beautifully. Unlike some YA authors, Margo has managed to write teen dialogue and thought processes that actually seem natural and not stilted or overly forced. There is no reliance on pop culture references which help give the book a 'timeless' quality and the plot is interesting.

Catherine Townsend-Lyon
Apr 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
MY REVIEW OF "FAIRY, TEXAS"...

Fairy, Texas is very well written! The storyline, and Laney especially I could truly relate to her. In real life many of us like Laney, we grow up and all face life challenges, even in High School! The story takes you on a magical ride! Many of us have had the experience of moving to some new place, and Laney finds more than she bargained for when not wanting to just "Hang Out" at the local Sonic! I enjoyed Margo's funny sense of humor in her writings. Not to
Susan Tarr
May 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
FAIRY, TEXAS by Margot Bond

This is not my usual read, but I am glad that I have had this opportunity.
So how does a teenage schoolgirl in a new town deal with a murder (or two) on campus, when their school insists no one talk about it?
How does the new girl in school deal with bizarre rituals, which are all hushed up?
What is she to make of the dark leathery wings in her black and white photograph? And who can she confide in?
And what will she do when the ‘proposition’ is presented to her? Will she
Bonnie Rediske-
Mar 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was gifted this book in exchange for an honest review. We first meet Laney, sophomore who has been uprooted and moved by her mother to a small town in Texas. The last thing Laney wanted was a bunch of attention or to be sought after by her new step-sisters ex. Often though, you never get what you are expecting. Laney is thrown into a world of preternatural and just when she thinks she is beginning to understand things around her, she is thrown another spin.
This book flowed pretty seamlessly
Kathryn
Apr 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Young Laney is taken from her home and her friends when her mother remarries her old high school sweetheart. Laney is transplanted to a ranch in Fairy, Texas. Fairy, Texas definitely isn't Atlanta. Laney soon discovers this small town has some secrets that she isn't sure she wants to know about.

Margo Bond Collins draws the readers in immediately with Laney's character as she battles moving to a small town, adapting to a step-father and step-sister, and the stumbling upon a dead body on her
Ana
Aug 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was given an ebook copy of "Fairy, Texas" by author Margo Bond Collins in exchange of an honest review.

I'm glad to say it was a story with an intriguing start, a really well developed climax that got me turning pages super fast, and an ending that left me anxiously wanting for more.
The characters were all very different from each other - which helped keeping it even more interesting - and I really enjoyed them all, even the evil ones.

It's definitely a book I would recommend to all those
Angelia Sparrow
Aug 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Self-absorbed teen Laney moves from Atlanta to Fairy Texas, where a fair number of the townsfolk are, guess what, fairies. The People are awaiting the coming of the Yahtah, who will bear their messiah, the dark avenger who will wipe away humanity.

Laney is dealing with a new school, new stepfather, new stepsister and about three boys who have the New Girl Eagers, while her mom is away as a pharmaceutical rep. She really doesn't want to be used in an end of humanity breeding scheme.

Nicely done YA,
Maria Dodd
Apr 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
I read this book as it was the Indie pick on Book of the Month on Lovers of Paranormal.

What a great read!

They call themselves 'The People' but had also been called demons, fairies and even angels. It was never quite explained WHAT they were but who cares, they were unique.

The characters were well written and totally believable. I loved the sarcastic comments from Laney and her interaction with the people around her. The plot flowed well and kept me gripped throughout.

The downside of the book is
Tracy
Apr 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks-i-own
I was given a PDF copy of this book in exchange for an honest review :D

Overall, I really enjoyed this one. Laney, Mason and Josh (among others) kept me entertained and I thought the concept of the fairies/demons/yatah was different. (good different) It's a fun read with plenty of action, romance, everyday high school drama (but not too much) and mystery. I kept wondering if Mason or Josh would end up turning on Laney. Guess you'll have to read and find out!

Lesley
Sep 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book on the basis that I'd enjoyed Waking Up Dead by the same author. It did not disappoint. The dialogue was very good. Just the right blend of teen sarcasm and wit for the female protagonist. The story was interesting and I was drawn into it, rooting for the characters. It was lovely to have some YA paranormal which was decently written and not liberally peppered with gratuitous and unrealistic fantastic sex.
Sherry Hoernig
May 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a really GREAT read!!! You should definitely check it out. It's full of action, & fantasy. I stated that there was some sexual content, but it is more on the line of what almost happened. It is enough that it takes it out of the 17 & younger age group, but 18 & up would enjoy it. It really is worth the time to read. Myself I am super excited that this is a part of a series, &I can’t wait for the next book!!
Cj Mackenzie
Mar 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
I have received this book from Irresistible Reads Book Tours in exchange of an honest review.
I enjoyed Fairy, Texas quite a lot and was pleasantly surprised by the book.
I loved the mystery and the way the story was writen. The book is fast paced and full of great moments and interesting characters.
If you like a good paranormal story, you should give this book a try!
Rhonda
Jun 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
I read this book twice. Once in one sitting and again slowly to make sure I didn't miss anything. It was a new and unique idea. It is not like a story I have read before. It drew me in in the beginning and kept me interested the entire time I was reading (both times I read it). I am hooked and hope that this series contiunes. I would highly recommend this book!
« previous 1 3 next »
Lovers of Paranor...: [BOTM] - INDIE PICK - Fairy Texas by Margo Bond Collins 17 40 Apr 18, 2014 05:03AM

• Fallen Elemental (Evelyn Storm, #1)
  • When To Fear The Living (The Veil Diaries, #3)
  • Witchling Academy: Semester One (Spell Traveler Chronicles, #1)
  • Pack Ebon Red (The Seven Mates of Zara Wolf, #1)
  • Fairy-Struck (The Twilight Court, #1)
  • Of Wolves and Witches (Arcane Arts Academy #1)
  • Dragon Royalty (Dragon Shifter Academy, #1)
  • Of Magic and Moonlight (Arcane Arts Academy, #2)
  • Dragon Elite (Dragon Shifter Academy, #2)
  • Different (Shifter Academy, #1)
  • A Demon's Blade (The Desdemona Chronicles, #1)
  • Runaway (Max Pack Book 1)
  • False Blood (Blood #1)
  • Nightworld Academy: Term Two
  • Flightless Bird (The Caged, #1)
  • Stealing Tranquility (Dragon Descendants, #1)
  • The Last Lullaby (The Spellsinger, #1)
  • Realms of Ghosts and Magic (Fae Witch Chronicles, #1)
New York Times and USA Today bestselling author Margo Bond Collins is addicted to coffee (mmm...caffeine) and SF/F television, especially Supernatural (mmm...Winchesters). She writes paranormal and contemporary romance, urban fantasy, and paranormal mystery. She lives in Texas with her daughter and several spoiled pets. Although she teaches college-level English courses online, writing fiction is ...more

Fairy, Texas (3 books)
  • Flightless (Fairy, Texas, #2)
  • Almost a Fairy Tale (Fairy, Texas, #3)