Start by marking “The Last True Love Story” as Want to Read:
The Last True Love Story

The Last True Love Story

The point of living is learning how to love.

That’s what Gpa says. To Hendrix and Corrina, both seventeen but otherwise alike only in their loneliness, that sounds like another line from a pop song that tries to promise kids that life doesn’t actually suck. Okay, so: love. Sure.

The thing about Corrina—her adoptive parents are suffocating, trying to mold her into someone acc
Published September 13th 2016 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

To ask other readers questions about The Last True Love Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last True Love Story

Alicia
Aug 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
It's Patterson's The Notebook and every YA road trip book with the heavily overdone John Green trope of crazy artistic girl that a boy pines after. Am I getting a bit bitter? Maybe.

Because I was IN LOVE with this book for the first few chapters. A boy, Teddy, and his grandfather slowly dying from Alzheimer's and his want to give him one last thing to remember because really Teddy is losing his only family. With a disconnected mother who has stuck her father in a home and leaves frequently on tr
Sandra Mariscal
Reseña completa

3.5/5

La historia de amor más bonita del mundo es un libro que nos conduce a través de un viaje en coche a un sinfín de emociones y aventuras. A demostrarnos que a veces los recuerdos son más fuertes de lo que parecen y a emocionarnos con la música que encontramos dentro de sus páginas. Si estás buscando algo diferente y original, este puede ser tu libro.
Kristine
Original review can be found at http://kristineandterri.blogspot.ca/2...

** I received an advanced readers copy from Simon and Schuster Canada in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!**

It was the synopsis that made me want to read this book. The idea of a boy (Teddy/Hendrix) springing his Gpa from his assisted living facility to take him back to where he had his first kiss with the love of his life before Alzheimer's wiped his memory completely sounded so endearing. On top of that, add the po
Cori Reed
2.5 Stars

I love a good road trip book, but sadly this one just didn't wow me.
Saleh MoonWalker
داستان عشق تدی هندریکس و پدربزرگشه. که آلزایمر گرفته و داره حافظه ش رو از دست میده. تدی تصمیم میگیره قولی که به پدربزرگش داده رو اجرایی کنه و با هم به مسافرت میرن. توی راه تدی با کورینا آشنا میشه و رابطه جالبی بینشون شکل میگیره.
داستان عاشقانه زیبایی بود که رابطه بین نوه و پدربزرگ رو به زیبایی به نثر درآورده بود. داستان فلوی مناسبی داشت. نثر داستان ساده بود و سرعت پیشروی داستان کمی آهسته بود. در نهایت کتاب زیبایی بود.
Mairead Rose
*Written Rose: You're only young once. *

Summary
The Last True Love Story is a familiar echo of the most basic teenage romance novels, but something about this book caught my interest. And it most definitely was the main characters grandfather, Gpa. The character was a surprise, because I originally assumed the book would just be about two teenagers who fall in love on a road trip. While yes they do go on a road trip, the whole reason for the trip is to go to Ithaca, NY - the place where Gpa fe
Beth Honeycutt
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Excellent YA story and I read my signed copy from NCTE. Thanks, Brendan Kiel’s!
Deniz
Feb 28, 2016 rated it liked it
I think the blurb sounds amazing, doesn't it? And cover? Gorgeous.
I was totally taken by Kiely's writing style, right from the beginning. So when I started this I had huge hopes. I still think this is a good book. It's beautifully written, has a lot of insight and carries a wonderful message.
For me personally however, I found the whole Alzheimer scenes really hard to read. I think simply because it hit too close to home. I totally could identify with Teddy. In fact he is an awesome character.
Brandon Will
Nov 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-lit
Kiely's had me since his first novel. I look forward to being with him for many more.

Here he does something unique with the road trip novel--such a huge fixture of YA books--he doesn't just pay attention to the quirky pit-stops and what being in different places brings out of the different characters. He makes the history of the land sneak up on them, makes their movement across land lend itself to realizations of privilege. The privilege to traipse across this country and what that means. Whose
Jillian Heise
Nov 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
All the love for this story. Beautiful. Heart-wrenching. Hopeful.
Jacqueline Smith
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm a huge fan of young adult literature. 4 out of 5 books that I read are written for younger audiences, but honestly, they're my favorite books to read, perhaps because so many of them really touch on real life issues. The Last True Love Story is a story about just that: love. But it's not the story you might expect. Yes, a young romance does blossom between Teddy (Hendrix) and Corrina. But to me, the true love story is the one that exists between Teddy and his ailing grandfather, Gpa, and Gpa ...more
Anita
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Si buscabais un libro para el verano ya lo tenéis, no se si será de verdad la historia de amor más bonita del mundo, pero desde luego a mi me ha atrapado y hecho pasar una muy buena tarde. Me ha encantado como su autor ha sabido combinar el viaje por carretera de Hendrix con la historia de su abuelo, a la vez que iba contando cosas sobre su padre, detalles que desconocía hasta el momento.
Nedyah
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
La Historia de Amor Más Bonita del Mundo contiene una historia diferente y más especial de lo que desprende su sinopsis y me ha alegrado mucho descubrir que, lo que pensaba que sería una historia de romance adolescente más, con su particular road trip, ha resultado contener también un segundo romance marcado por los años, los recuerdos y el amor que sigue latente y presente incluso después de que la muerte los haya separado. En este caso hablo del abuelo del protagonista, cuya historia de amor c ...more
Brittany
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wow this book is good! It is about a 17 year old boy named Hendrix who breaks his grandfather, who is suffering from Alzheimer's, out of the nursing home to go on a road trip from LA to Ithaca, NY to the place where the grandfather married the love of his life. Along for the ride is snappy and troubled Corrina, who Hendrix falls in love with (duh).

The book has beautiful moments full of real emotions. Kiely doesn't write in a pandering or condescending way; instead, he captures true emotions (fal
Alicia Cruz
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
La edición del libro es preciosa. El autor en el libro ha hecho las descripciones justas para que sientas como si tú también estuvieras haciendo el viaje junto a los personajes y esa es de las cosas que me han gustado de la historia. El final, es bonito y sencillo. No es nada sorprendente pero es el idóneo para esta historia. Aunque algunas cosas no salen como esperaban pero como dice Charlie, el abuelo de Teddy, "Ithaca está aquí. Con nosotros". Para finalizar quiero deciros que espero que le d ...more
Yaiza
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
4,5 ESTRELLAS.
Con el título pensé que sería una historia cursi adolescente pero CUANTO ME EQUIVOCABA. El narrador si que es Ted, un joven de 17 años, pero el protagonista de esta historia es su abuelo Charlie. Un veterano de guerra afectado por el Alzheimer, desesperado por no olvidar a su amada mujer. Es entonces cuando su nieto decide escribir su historia de amor para que nunca sea olvidada.
Me a gustado mucho, es un libro ligero y muy rápido de leer que toca temas actuales y muy reales. Es fác
Tiffany Mack
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow where do I even began with this book......A book about two loner young adults who want to find themselves in a world they know nothing about all the while trying to save a soul that really can't be saved. This book was full of emotions, love and true happiness. Take a moment and read this book. I hope you find the love and happiness in this book that I did.
Joscelyn Ervin
Mar 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
This felt like a bad copy of John Green's style and aesthetic. I couldn't bring myself to finish it. Every time I picked it up, I had to plow through every page - painfully and slowly. Don't get me wrong, it's not exceptionally awful, but it's below average. Maybe I would've liked it two or three years ago...in any case, I don't think I'd recommend it.
Andrea
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Me ha encantado leerlo y conocer a un gran escritor.
Porque enamorarse es fácil,
lo importante es.mantenerlo.
Tim
Jan 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
It flows easily and has some good, deeper and subtle observations in the interactions of the characters that give the story credibility. It is a satisfying fictional book.
Kelly Sierra
Mar 27, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, arc
This is the book that has the lonely teen, who connects with the only family he really knows and is losing, and the "cool" complicated girl with astronomical issues. I love John Green, and he's done a phenomenal job in creating books that have these things sprinkled in them... this one just fell short. Not every author is going to do a bang up job and not every author can have the luxury of having readers without preconceived favorites.

2 stars
Dramatically Bookish (ReviewsMayVary)
My 3rd BK book. This one’s about a boy who is traveling to take his gpa across country before his Alzheimer’s wipes out the memory of his wife. Along the way he learns about his family and their relationships. Also gets a girlfriend.

If you like this, also try the Porcupine of Truth.
Emily
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was such a great story. It was totally not what I thought it was going to be, but I loved it all the same. The reason I picked this up was because I saw Brendan Kiely at an event, and I'm so glad that I chose to go to that event and also pick this book up. The characters were lovely, the plot was of course beautiful, and it was wonderfully written. It does have a somewhat open ending, but it was done right.
Mrs. Krajewski
Jun 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Teddy Hendrix is a good kid, but a bit lost. He doesn't really have any true family except his paternal grandfather Gpa, who is suffering from Alzheimer's. His mother is always away for work, so Hendrix is the one who sees his Gpa losing his mind more each day. He chooses this, for he loves Gpa and the stories he tells about his grandmother. Gma was the love of his life, and one thing Hendrix does know is that he wants to write all these stories down before Gpa's mind goes and they loses them fo ...more
Maria
Aug 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book had me from the very first page. I was moved by the characters and their plight. This is a story of youth and the coming awareness of the world beyond our own scope and personal concerns. It is a story of old age, and how the very things that make us who we are can disappear and we are left wondering what it will be like when our memory finally goes and there is nothing left of us. It's about what constitutes a family, and the things you will be willing to do for those you love.

I recom
Amie Wilson
Jun 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a great YA summer read. It has all of the elements of a fun road trip book, including a budding romance, woven with more serious issues dealing with family and belonging. I really enjoyed the main character Hendrix's love for his grandfather (Gpa) and his dedication to recording all of his grandfather's stories for their family history before Gpa loses his memory permanently to Alzheimer's. An endearing novel.
Brandi Rae Fong
More like 3.5 stars...

This book had some great themes...family, race, discovering who you are...however I never really felt like I connected to the main characters, nor really how/why Corrina and Teddy liked each other. It fell a little flat for me.

However, I absolutely loved some of the passages about race, freedom, family, meaning in life...definitely provides things to ponder, as well as would provide for some great directions for a high school book discussion.
Kellee
Love is a language that is spoken in so many different ways. Kiely's book is a love poem to forever love, first love, family love, questioning love, love of music, love of words, and the struggle of love. Beautiful and touching and will fill your heart.
Karli
Dec 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
I absolutely loved this book! Filled with classic rock, love and a hint of mystery, The Last True Love Story is an amazing contemporary novel. I loved Corrina by how she was free in her music and wasn't afraid to keep pushing forward.
Claudia Silk
Jul 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
If you have a teenage girl who moons over a good love story then hand them this book and walk away! I didn't feel it was one of those books with a lot of crossover appeal. Leave it for the teens and they will LOVE it!

• Jumped In
  • Still a Work in Progress
  • Watched
  • In Sight of Stars
  • Yellowcake
  • Camp Rolling Hills (Camp Rolling Hills, #1)
  • The Hunted (The Living, #2)
  • A 52-Hertz Whale
  • Cherry Money Baby
  • Saving Red
  • Long Story Short
  • The Odds of Lightning
  • Teen Boat! The Race for Boatlantis (Teen Boat!, #2)
Brendan Kiely received an MFA in creative writing from The City College of New York. His writing has appeared in Fiction, Guernica, The AWP Writer’s Chronicle, and other publications. Originally from the Boston area, he now teaches at an independent high school and lives with his wife in Greenwich Village.
“Le digo que hace apenas cinco días, en lo alto de una colina, Corrina y yo decidimos hacer este viaje juntos; que el alzhéimer del abuelo le está devorando el cerebro y los recuerdos, y que quiero llevarlo de vuelta a Ithaca por última vez, para que vea la iglesia donde se casó, antes de que la enfermedad le borre para siempre el recuerdo de la abuela; y que es muy injusto que suceda algo así en un mundo que te arrebata con tanta facilidad a tus seres queridos, porque de ese modo no sólo pierdes a las personas que amas, sino también sus recuerdos, como si nunca hubiesen existido.” 1 likes
“¿Por qué decimos que alguien nos ha atrapado, cuando la sensación es mucho más de volar?” 1 likes