Start by marking “The Last True Love Story” as Want to Read:
The Last True Love Story

The Last True Love Story

The point of living is learning how to love.

That’s what Gpa says. To Hendrix and Corrina, both seventeen but otherwise alike only in their loneliness, that sounds like another line from a pop song that tries to promise kids that life doesn’t actually suck. Okay, so: love. Sure.

The thing about Corrina—her adoptive parents are suffocating, trying to mold her into someone acc
Published September 13th 2016 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

To ask other readers questions about The Last True Love Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last True Love Story

Start your review of The Last True Love Story
Alicia
Aug 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
It's Patterson's The Notebook and every YA road trip book with the heavily overdone John Green trope of crazy artistic girl that a boy pines after. Am I getting a bit bitter? Maybe.

Because I was IN LOVE with this book for the first few chapters. A boy, Teddy, and his grandfather slowly dying from Alzheimer's and his want to give him one last thing to remember because really Teddy is losing his only family. With a disconnected mother who has stuck her father in a home and leaves frequently on tr
Kristine
Original review can be found at http://kristineandterri.blogspot.ca/2...

** I received an advanced readers copy from Simon and Schuster Canada in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!**

It was the synopsis that made me want to read this book. The idea of a boy (Teddy/Hendrix) springing his Gpa from his assisted living facility to take him back to where he had his first kiss with the love of his life before Alzheimer's wiped his memory completely sounded so endearing. On top of that, add the po
Cori Reed
2.5 Stars

I love a good road trip book, but sadly this one just didn't wow me.
Jillian Heise
Nov 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
All the love for this story. Beautiful. Heart-wrenching. Hopeful.
Beth Honeycutt
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Excellent YA story and I read my signed copy from NCTE. Thanks, Brendan Kiel’s!
Deniz
Feb 28, 2016 rated it liked it
I think the blurb sounds amazing, doesn't it? And cover? Gorgeous.
I was totally taken by Kiely's writing style, right from the beginning. So when I started this I had huge hopes. I still think this is a good book. It's beautifully written, has a lot of insight and carries a wonderful message.
For me personally however, I found the whole Alzheimer scenes really hard to read. I think simply because it hit too close to home. I totally could identify with Teddy. In fact he is an awesome character.
Brandon Will
Nov 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-lit
Kiely's had me since his first novel. I look forward to being with him for many more.

Here he does something unique with the road trip novel--such a huge fixture of YA books--he doesn't just pay attention to the quirky pit-stops and what being in different places brings out of the different characters. He makes the history of the land sneak up on them, makes their movement across land lend itself to realizations of privilege. The privilege to traipse across this country and what that means. Whose
Jacqueline Smith
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm a huge fan of young adult literature. 4 out of 5 books that I read are written for younger audiences, but honestly, they're my favorite books to read, perhaps because so many of them really touch on real life issues. The Last True Love Story is a story about just that: love. But it's not the story you might expect. Yes, a young romance does blossom between Teddy (Hendrix) and Corrina. But to me, the true love story is the one that exists between Teddy and his ailing grandfather, Gpa, and Gpa ...more
Brittany
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wow this book is good! It is about a 17 year old boy named Hendrix who breaks his grandfather, who is suffering from Alzheimer's, out of the nursing home to go on a road trip from LA to Ithaca, NY to the place where the grandfather married the love of his life. Along for the ride is snappy and troubled Corrina, who Hendrix falls in love with (duh).

The book has beautiful moments full of real emotions. Kiely doesn't write in a pandering or condescending way; instead, he captures true emotions (fal
TIffany Mack
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow where do I even began with this book......A book about two loner young adults who want to find themselves in a world they know nothing about all the while trying to save a soul that really can't be saved. This book was full of emotions, love and true happiness. Take a moment and read this book. I hope you find the love and happiness in this book that I did.
Joscelyn Ervin
Mar 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
This felt like a bad copy of John Green's style and aesthetic. I couldn't bring myself to finish it. Every time I picked it up, I had to plow through every page - painfully and slowly. Don't get me wrong, it's not exceptionally awful, but it's below average. Maybe I would've liked it two or three years ago...in any case, I don't think I'd recommend it.
Tim
Jan 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
It flows easily and has some good, deeper and subtle observations in the interactions of the characters that give the story credibility. It is a satisfying fictional book.
Kelly Sierra
Mar 27, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, arc
This is the book that has the lonely teen, who connects with the only family he really knows and is losing, and the "cool" complicated girl with astronomical issues. I love John Green, and he's done a phenomenal job in creating books that have these things sprinkled in them... this one just fell short. Not every author is going to do a bang up job and not every author can have the luxury of having readers without preconceived favorites.

2 stars
Reviews May Vary
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
My 3rd BK book. This one’s about a boy who is traveling to take his gpa across country before his Alzheimer’s wipes out the memory of his wife. Along the way he learns about his family and their relationships. Also gets a girlfriend.

If you like this, also try the Porcupine of Truth.
Sarah Krajewski
Jun 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Teddy Hendrix is a good kid, but a bit lost. He doesn't really have any true family except his paternal grandfather Gpa, who is suffering from Alzheimer's. His mother is always away for work, so Hendrix is the one who sees his Gpa losing his mind more each day. He chooses this, for he loves Gpa and the stories he tells about his grandmother. Gma was the love of his life, and one thing Hendrix does know is that he wants to write all these stories down before Gpa's mind goes and they loses them fo ...more
Maria
Aug 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book had me from the very first page. I was moved by the characters and their plight. This is a story of youth and the coming awareness of the world beyond our own scope and personal concerns. It is a story of old age, and how the very things that make us who we are can disappear and we are left wondering what it will be like when our memory finally goes and there is nothing left of us. It's about what constitutes a family, and the things you will be willing to do for those you love.

I recom
Amie Wilson
Jun 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a great YA summer read. It has all of the elements of a fun road trip book, including a budding romance, woven with more serious issues dealing with family and belonging. I really enjoyed the main character Hendrix's love for his grandfather (Gpa) and his dedication to recording all of his grandfather's stories for their family history before Gpa loses his memory permanently to Alzheimer's. An endearing novel.
Brandi Rae Fong
More like 3.5 stars...

This book had some great themes...family, race, discovering who you are...however I never really felt like I connected to the main characters, nor really how/why Corrina and Teddy liked each other. It fell a little flat for me.

However, I absolutely loved some of the passages about race, freedom, family, meaning in life...definitely provides things to ponder, as well as would provide for some great directions for a high school book discussion.
Claudia Silk
Jul 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
If you have a teenage girl who moons over a good love story then hand them this book and walk away! I didn't feel it was one of those books with a lot of crossover appeal. Leave it for the teens and they will LOVE it!
Kellee Moye
Love is a language that is spoken in so many different ways. Kiely's book is a love poem to forever love, first love, family love, questioning love, love of music, love of words, and the struggle of love. Beautiful and touching and will fill your heart.
Karli
Dec 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
I absolutely loved this book! Filled with classic rock, love and a hint of mystery, The Last True Love Story is an amazing contemporary novel. I loved Corrina by how she was free in her music and wasn't afraid to keep pushing forward.
JoAnne
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
lovely story - well written - real characters - loved the whole music storyline - not just for teens!!
KC
Nov 23, 2016 rated it liked it
"Anyone can fall in love, it's the staying in that matters." -Hendrix
Brenda
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. An incredible story about the strength of love and determination necessary to hold a family together.
Gail
Jul 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Great read for high school and up.
Shelby Ibarra
**3.75 stars

I read this book because my non-reader friend read it and really liked it.

A blurb on the back cover from BookList says, “A good fit for those who enjoyed John Green’s Looking for Alaska.” And I think that sums it up perfectly.
Just like Looking for Alaska, this book has a lot of deep and thought provoking quotes, almost too many to where it doesn’t always feel natural. It features two teens (and a Grandpa and a dog) going on an adventure into the unknown and trying to discover their
Madame
May 31, 2018 rated it liked it
In few lines, this is a story about a seventeen-year-old boy Teddy who has only his Grandfather, who he called Gpa, left for his family with his mother being away all the time and father being Dead which is all he knows about him. His Gpa is suffering from Alzheimer and he hopes to show his grandfather the place where he shares beautiful moments with his Gma so he decided to sneak him off with his dog and a girl who is trying to make something about of herself.

Now, the book started so promising
Pulelehua McClung
A man, with his memories fading away holding onto the memories of his one true love, trying to grasp hold of his memories as they seamlessly slip out of his fingers and into the unknown. A boy with no father, and a mother whom is a workaholic and the only comfort is an old dog, and Charlie his grandfather with altimerz eating away at his memories. A girl with many problems, but masks her feeling and hurt behind a tough girl look and strums her guitar to ease the pain. These three characters come ...more
Barbara
I don't know that this book is, indeed, the last true love story, but it is a story of love between a boy, Teddy Hendrix, and his grandfather. It's also the story of a decades-long love between that grandfather, now losing his memories to Alzheimer's, and his bride who died a few years ago. Teddy's mother has put her father-in-law in an assisted living facility, and spends most of her time traveling for her job. Teddy decides that he will keep his promise to his grandfather and take him from LA ...more
Daniella Picicco
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Tan solo un segundo
  • Las alas de Sophie
  • Lo mejor de ir es volver
  • The Season of You & Me
  • Nosotros en la Luna
  • Una canción para Novalie
  • Finales que merecen una historia
  • Present Perfect (Perfect, #1)
  • The Leaving Season
  • El chico que dibujaba constelaciones
  • El niño que fuimos
  • Un beso de Dick
  • Al final de la calle 118
  • no solo llueve en primavera
  • La geografía de tu recuerdo
  • La vida después de ella
  • Der kleine Teeladen zum Glück (Valerie Lane, #1)
  • Contra la fuerza del viento (Ciclo de Dreaming Spires, #2)
Brendan Kiely received an MFA in creative writing from The City College of New York. His writing has appeared in Fiction, Guernica, The AWP Writer’s Chronicle, and other publications. Originally from the Boston area, he now teaches at an independent high school and lives with his wife in Greenwich Village.